Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:47:40 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2093899 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7035 on: December 19, 2013, 07:32:34 AM »

The Polar Express (2004) - a kid can't decide whether he should believe in Santa or not, and then a magical train shows up and takes him to the north pole. He meets Santa and then decides to believe in him. Well duh, the guy's standing right in front of you Lookingup Didn't care for this much, it doesn't have any plot and the only thing that really happens is the train does a bunch of roller coaster type stuff, then the kids slide down some roller coaster type thing at the north pole. I guess Christmas is mostly about roller coasters. The movie's far more creepy than charming - the elves are depicted as some weird Santa-worshiping cult and there's a strange guy who lives on top of the Polar Express train who's almost sinister. The animation was off-putting as well, the characters sometimes walk as if they've got multiple sclerosis and some of them look animated and others look like somebody photoshopped a real face on an animated body. There's just no warmth or cheerfulness to this movie whatsoever. 2/5.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:40:07 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #7036 on: December 19, 2013, 08:27:07 AM »

The Polar Express (2004) - a kid can't decide whether he should believe in Santa or not, and then a magical train shows up and takes him to the north pole. He meets Santa and then decides to believe in him. Well duh, the guy's standing right in front of you Lookingup Didn't care for this much, it doesn't have any plot and the only thing that really happens is the train does a bunch of roller coaster type stuff, then the kids slide down some roller coaster type thing at the north pole. I guess Christmas is mostly about roller coasters. The movie's far more creepy than charming - the elves are depicted as some weird Santa-worshiping cult and there's a strange guy who lives on top of the Polar Express train who's almost sinister. The animation was off-putting as well, the characters sometimes walk as if they've got multiple sclerosis and some of them look animated and others look like somebody photoshopped a real face on an animated body. There's just no warmth or cheerfulness to this movie whatsoever. 2/5.

I've dodged watching this one: my youngest was just old enough when it came out that it did not make the 'to see' list.  The trailers always creeped me out - still do - the animation looked so 'off' it was unappealing.  Even in the book the conductor has an air of the ominous about him.  I never could figure out how they expected to make a feature film out of such a brief litttle one-note children's book.  It may have worked for Jumanji, but  I could not see the same potential here. 

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
claws
« Reply #7037 on: December 19, 2013, 10:33:20 AM »

Mystery Men (1999) (Blu-ray)

A team of wannabe superheroes with questionable "superpowers" are trying to rescue the arrogant but popular superhero Captain Amazing, who is held captive by super villain Casanova Frankenstein & the Disco Boys.
Long time favorite superhero spoof/comedy that didn't lost any of its charm over the years. Even the CGI still looks fresh and impressive. Impossible not to quote one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movie characters: "Tonight I am going to do to Champion City what I have done to its greatest superhero, und there will still be time to go up, get down... und boogie!" 5/5
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7038 on: December 20, 2013, 06:41:30 AM »

Comic Book: The Movie (2004)
Small | Large

Mark 'Luke Skywalker' Hamill directed and stars in this hit-and-miss 'mockumentary' style comedy which satirizes both comic book fandom and Hollywood. Mark plays a lifelong fan of a 1940s superhero called 'Commander Courage,' which has been optioned to be made into a movie. The studio hires him to be part of the team promoting the film at the San Diego Comic Con but when he finds out that the movie version will feature a dark, gritty 21st century update of the Commander rather than the wholesome old school character he grew up with, he tries to figure out a way to stop the film from being made instead. 
Parts of the movie were filmed guerrilla style at the real San Diego Con and the film features appearances by tons of movie & comic personalities, including Stan Lee, Kevin Smith, Jim Cummings, Matt Groening, Donna D'Errico, Billy West, Hugh Hefner and many more.
With the amount of talent involved, 'Comic Book' should've been a lot funnier than it is. The flick had a couple of good bits but more than half of the gags ended up falling flat. I had higher hopes for this one. Disappointing...

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7039 on: December 20, 2013, 07:43:23 AM »

Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town (1970) - we learn all about the history of Santa Claus in this charming Rankin and Bass production. Everybody's favorite character is of course the nasty old Burgermeister Meisterburger.  TeddyR The songs in this one aren't exactly my favorite but everything else about it is great. 4/5.

Sharktopus (2010) - the military creates a shark / octopus hybrid and of course they lose control of it and it starts dining on beachgoers. Tsk Tsk. I enjoyed this, plenty of bikini babes as well as action, it's just dumb fun from beginning to end. It's even got it's own theme song - Sharktopus can't be kept at bay, and you will never ever ever get away! BounceGiggle 4/5.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7040 on: December 20, 2013, 09:59:43 AM »

CELLAR DWELLER (1988): A comic book artist accidentally brings a demon to life by drawing it. Decent demon design is really the only feather in the cap of this late-night cable TV filler feature. Features a couple of topless scenes and a frumpy, aging Yvonne de Carlo (not in the same scene, thank goodness!) OK if you're undemanding and looking for an 80s video horror vibe. 2.5/5 for bad movie fans.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7041 on: December 22, 2013, 01:11:36 PM »

The Little Drummer Boy (1968) - charming tale about a little boy who hates people but learns not to hate when he sees the baby Jesus. José Ferrer does the voice of the bad guy, Ben Haramed, and he's delightful. Really like the music in this one too. 4.5/5.

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009) - butt kicking action flick about en elite military organization that does battle with the bad guys who have stolen some nano-technology weaponry. You've got explosions, guys running around in Robocop outfits, the Eiffel Tower tips over, an underwater city gets destroyed, there's Ninja sword fights, babes, bravado - a rip roarin' adrenaline rush of goofiness from start to finish  BounceGiggle  4.5/5.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #7042 on: December 22, 2013, 02:53:42 PM »

Barn of the Naked Dead (1974)

Three young women heading to Vegas take shortcut through desert and end up in the clutches of a handsome but crazy "collector" - he thinks he is running a circus and the women are his animals.
Cheap but effective Grindhouse fare that's more cheesy fun than boring bad. Including corny theme song ("Evil Eyes"), radioactive killer, caged cougar, mutilated dead bodies, insane caged women, whip-torture, humiliation, failed escape, several reaching-for-keys-to-unlock-chains scenes and one caged decapitated head. 3.5/5

Trip with the Teacher (1975)

Four school girls on a field trip with their teacher through the desert fall victim to two crazy brothers on motorbikes. Think "Last House on the Left" light-version. Zalman King gives great campy performance as one of the crazy brothers. Including strangulation, suffocation, off screen rape, neck breaking, forced to strip, failed escape, motorcycle chase, foot chase, grease monkey kill, diner breakfast, emotional freak out scene and one impalement. 3.75/5
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7043 on: December 22, 2013, 02:54:20 PM »

Fast & Furious (2009)

Small | Large

The fourth installment in the 'F&F' series re-teams the late Paul Walker's FBI agent with Vin Diesel's street racing ex-con, both of whom want to take down a Mexican drug lord. As you might expect, lots of cars get destroyed in the process.

Believe it or not this is the first 'F&F' flick I've seen in its entirety. I probably won't be bothered to catch up on the rest of the series but for whatever it's worth, this flick was a decent time waster.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7044 on: December 22, 2013, 04:14:19 PM »

GREY GARDENS (1975): Edith Beale and her daughter "little Edie," relatives of Jackie Kennedy, live in a decaying mansion in the Hamptons littered with garbage; now in her 50s, the delusional little Edie takes care of her shrewish mother while dreaming of getting married and becoming a professional dancer. Who knew "No Exit" was a documentary?  4.5/5.

THE DUNGEONMASTER [AKA RAGEWAR] (1984): A demon sucks a computer expert into a dream world where he puts him through a series of tests, each directed by a different B-movie hack in a different style, including a MAD MAX ripoff, a detective story, and a music video. With gratuitous nude scenes, gloriously cheesy paint-on-the-film special effects, and lines like "I reject your reality and substitute my own!," this guilty pleasure is the apotheosis of nerd camp. I think it's a little overlooked by bad movie fans. 4/5 (bad movie scale).

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7045 on: December 22, 2013, 09:00:51 PM »

Waltz With Bashir (2008) - Great animated documentary/ recollection about the Sabra and Shatila Massacre http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabra_and_Shatila_massacre which took place in Lebanon in 1982. It's done in the form of a cartoon similar visually to Archer the fx show. The narrators are various guys who served in the Israeli Armed Forces. The massacre was carried out by the Christian Phalangists group in Lebanon, but Israel kinda sorta provided support for it hence the title Waltzing with Bashir as Bashir was the head Phalangist guy. His assassination is what sparked the massacre.

This movie probably ends up appealing to a more liberal sensibility on the whole Israel/ Palestine thing but it's real value is in showing the whole dystopian war reality. It's easy to say Israel is great and things like this happen in war or Israel is terrible and here's a terrible thing they were complicit in, but for the people involved it was terrible on a less macro sort of level. When you see people rounded up and put into cars and soldiers going house to house killing people, politics becomes an afterthought. You know you are seeing something ugly. People on both sides took a wrong turn somewhere and the end result was a failure of humanity.

Also, the "Christian" Phalangists weren't Christians in the way most Christian would tend to recognize. They had a cult like obsession with their leader and did things like carve crosses into peoples chests. Of course, the people they were fighting are Palestinian terrorists who aren't exactly great ambassadors of their faith.

The story starts out a little confusing here and there but by the end it made sense. it was only 90 minutes. It ended rather quickly but it worked. Features then contemporary music from OMD, PIL, and some pretty corny Israeli rock group 5/5
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 09:06:29 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7046 on: December 22, 2013, 11:59:46 PM »

Waltz With Bashir (2008) - Great animated documentary/ recollection about the Sabra and Shatila Massacre http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabra_and_Shatila_massacre which took place in Lebanon in 1982. It's done in the form of a cartoon similar visually to Archer the fx show. The narrators are various guys who served in the Israeli Armed Forces. The massacre was carried out by the Christian Phalangists group in Lebanon, but Israel kinda sorta provided support for it hence the title Waltzing with Bashir as Bashir was the head Phalangist guy. His assassination is what sparked the massacre.

This movie probably ends up appealing to a more liberal sensibility on the whole Israel/ Palestine thing but it's real value is in showing the whole dystopian war reality. It's easy to say Israel is great and things like this happen in war or Israel is terrible and here's a terrible thing they were complicit in, but for the people involved it was terrible on a less macro sort of level. When you see people rounded up and put into cars and soldiers going house to house killing people, politics becomes an afterthought. You know you are seeing something ugly. People on both sides took a wrong turn somewhere and the end result was a failure of humanity.

Also, the "Christian" Phalangists weren't Christians in the way most Christian would tend to recognize. They had a cult like obsession with their leader and did things like carve crosses into peoples chests. Of course, the people they were fighting are Palestinian terrorists who aren't exactly great ambassadors of their faith.

The story starts out a little confusing here and there but by the end it made sense. it was only 90 minutes. It ended rather quickly but it worked. Features then contemporary music from OMD, PIL, and some pretty corny Israeli rock group 5/5

Great movie.  Thumbup

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7047 on: December 23, 2013, 08:00:19 AM »

Frosty the Snowman (1969) - Frosty comes to life and a little girl accompanies him on a train ride to the north pole so he won't melt. They're pursued by an evil magician who's magical hat was responsible for bringing Frosty to life - and he wants it back! Age old favorite of mine, fun plot, great music, and entertaining characters. 4/5.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #7048 on: December 23, 2013, 01:29:03 PM »

Scream, Pretty Peggy (1973)

Sculptor Jeffrey hires Peggy, a college student, to take care of his house and his drunk mother (Bette Davis). Peggy soon discovers that somebody is living in a room above the garage. It turns out to be Jennifer, Jeffrey's insane sister ...

Creepy made for TV Slasher/Thriller with a surprise ending that isn't really that surprising, but it didn't spoil the fun either. 4/5
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7049 on: December 23, 2013, 02:02:52 PM »

CATACOMBS (1988): A demon who has been imprisoned in a monastery for centuries awakens. For a Charles Band production, this is serious and expensive, with a few effective demonic sequences, a good score and well-defined characters; unfortunately it loses the audience's interest in a slow-developing middle portion and never recovers. 2/5.

Pages: 1 ... 468 469 [470] 471 472 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.