Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:30:20 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2112307 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7275 on: March 05, 2014, 07:37:34 AM »

Panic (1983) - some scientist screws up his experiment and gets turned into a hamburger-faced "monster". He goes to some small English town and occasionally attacks someone. Meanwhile the people at the company he works for sit around and talk about how they want to cover up the whole thing. Some government people sit around and talk about how they need to destroy the whole town. And some cops sit around and talk about how they'll catch the monster. I didn't care for this at all. The plot seemed far more concerned with padding out the runtime to the nth degree than with telling any sort of story. The characters were undeveloped and uninteresting. The climax was just a joke. Okay maybe I was on the verge of falling asleep for the climax so I may have missed a few details, but *spoiler* you just need to shoot the guy with a fire extinguisher and he dissolves? Seriously?. 2/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7276 on: March 05, 2014, 10:06:09 AM »

RUN & JUMP (2013): An American neurologist bunks with an Irish family to study the eccentric behavior of the brain-damaged father who's recovering from a stroke; naturally, his objectivity erodes as he becomes emotionally involved with the wife and children. Mature drama that would have benefited from brisker pacing. 3/5.

VERA (2003):Trapped underground, a Mexican miner hallucinates, encountering a green alien creature who leads him into the spirit world. Interesting at times, but it lacks the visual effects budget it needs to realize its psychedelic visions. Good evidence as to why you should always splurge for the top shelf peyote; never settle for the dried and shriveled buttons they're selling at half off. 2.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7277 on: March 05, 2014, 04:30:12 PM »

Session 9 from outer space (2001) - This was pretty good despite the fact that that David Caruso is in it. The real star is the massive, strange, foreboding Danvers hospital, which I think has been leveled now. The little extra on it is kind of scarier than the movie itself. A bunch of guys who do asbestos removal are working in an old mental hospital with a weird history and have problems themselves yadda yadda yadda. Caruso hams it up they do the work and weird stuff starts happening. in horror movies they sometimes throw a bunch of things out there and they will randomly interact and become brilliant. In this case, they throw them out there and it's more or less pretty entertaining but not great.  It's a decent tribute to the edifice but there could have been a much greater one. It was, after all, basically Hell on Earth and props to the cast and crew for bringing out some of the insanity. 3.75/ 5
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7278 on: March 05, 2014, 09:54:14 PM »

"Code of Silence" (1985)  - Chuck Norris is a lone wolf Chicago cop caught in the middle of a turf war between two rival mob families in this gritty butt kicker that ranks as one of Chuck's best films. Directed by Andrew Davis, who would go on to do "The Fugitive."

"Dinocroc" (2004) - a genetics lab messes with prehistoric crocodile DNA and accidentally creates a giant hungry mutation in this predictable but cool monster mash from Roger Corman. Action packed and gory fun.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #7279 on: March 06, 2014, 01:25:51 PM »

Kwaidan (1964): Eerie, creepy classic ghost story horror anthology from Japan. There are four different stories here including "The Black Hair" (no doubt somewhat an inspiration for the later Japanese ghost girls if a lot more subtle, great twist in the end), "The Woman of the Snow" (this was a favorite even if I could see where it was headed, it's just so visually powerful and unnerving in its look and presentation), "Hoichi the Earless" (which is somewhat epic with a truly unforgettable climax), and "In a Cup of Tea" (probably the weakest story but still has some cool moments going for it, actually this one feels more akin to descent into madness stories that ghostly tales). Overall this wasn't quite as frightening as I'd hoped yet it does leave one feeling a bit unsettled and the visuals are often what will leave the biggest impression here, sometimes this feels like a painting come to life. Fans of horror anthologies should enjoy this one but some may find watching the whole film in one sitting a bit long and overwhelming. I recommend splitting it up and watching perhaps two tales to a time or even one and you will not get bored. ***3/4 out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7280 on: March 06, 2014, 10:32:10 PM »

Martyrs (2008) - Sometimes if I get a movie and think it's good I'll lend it to my Mom to watch. This isn't one of those movies, though it is quite good. It's torture murder type horror.

A girl escapes from an extreme abuse scenario where she is chained to a chair w/ a toilet in it and somehow escapes. When they go back to where she says she came from no one is there. She has a troubled childhood but manages to make a friend and they become the pals and so on. Kind of hard to describe anything else without giving a lot away but it involves murder, very disturbing torture and long periods of isolated violence and torture. The acting, cinematography and makeup are very good.

All in all it reminded me a bit of I Spit On Your Grave in that it was on one level totally offensive and sexist and on another liberating because it shows the cruelty of life. I wasn't totally sold on the resolution and the captors' whole philosophical trip part could have used some punching up no pun intended but if you can stomach crazy gore and brutality don't miss it

4.5 /5
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 10:55:09 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7281 on: March 07, 2014, 08:25:51 AM »

"Barracuda" (1978)

[youtube[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDOHNzZhN7Q

When this obscure B-Movie turned up on Netflix I thought to myself, "Wow, A '70s killer-fish movie that I haven't seen? Must watch!" ... and 90 minutes later I was kicking myself.

A Florida chemical company discharges toxic waste into the ocean, which causes the local barracuda population to go nuts and start adding humans to their diet in this p**s-poor '70s eco-horror that was obviously made to cash in on the popularity of 'Jaws' and 'Piranha.'

In addition to a muddled conspiracy-theory/government cover-up subplot, the flick (also known as "Barracuda: The Lucifer Project") also features glacial pacing and amateur level acting/scripting.

If you want some decent aquatic-critter carnage, Netflix also currently has the aforementioned 'Piranha' (1978) and 'Humanoids From the Deep' (1980) available for streaming, go with either of those instead of this turd.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7282 on: March 07, 2014, 10:25:43 PM »

"Planet of the Apes" (1968) - a crew of astronauts on a deep space mission crash land on a mysterious planet where apes are the dominant species and humans are treated like dumb animals in this classic slab of sci-fi. Charlton Heston's performance is pure ham and the "shocking" twist ending has been parodied to death but this flick is still great fun.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7283 on: March 08, 2014, 01:35:17 AM »

I watched THOR: THE DARK WORLD with my wife tonight.  Great film!!!!  Effects are cool, acting is excellent, and Natalie Portman only improves with age.  I am really enjoying this franchise.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7284 on: March 08, 2014, 11:49:11 AM »

The Getaway (1972)-One of Hill's very first screenplay credits and its directed by none other than the legendary Sam Peckinpah. According to his biography this was one of the few scripts that Peckinpah would not extensively rewrite. His addiction worsening he would direct this picture with a constantly refilling drink from morning till night. Considering this backdrop you might think this film would be a mess but instead its about as masterfully crafted an action picture as your going to find in the 1970's.

The basic plot is that Steve Mqueen gets out of prison with the help of his wife (Ali Mcgraw) and a crooked sheriff. But as soon as he gets out the sheriff expects him to rob a bank inevitably leading to more trouble. This is one of those older films where you can really tell filmmakers have been greatly influenced by. The bank robbery itself covered from all the participants is incredible and you can tell Michael Mann (Heat robbery sequences) and Christopher Nolan (opening of Dark Knight) have seen and studied this sequence. Later on when this film becomes more of a chase film it seems that the Coen's owe more than a bit to Peckinpah for their excellent "No Country for Old Men".

The Driver(1979) Walter Hill directed and scripted this film taking the liberty to even reuse a sequence or two from his earlier script on "The Getaway". Ryan O Neil plays the driver whose exceptional abilities makes him of a target of a crooked cop played by Bruce Dern.

Anyone whose seen Drive will find the blueprint that made that later film possible here. The opening sequence is nearly exactly the same and the films also share Ryan's who don't say or express much on their faces. A low point here is when Hill recycles the train sequence from the Getaway, he is unable to orchestrate suspense to the same level as Peckinpah did with the same set piece and would have been better to leave it out. But anyway this more is called the Driver and not The Train Guy so what about the chases. Well their pure concentrated awesome.

Junior Bonner-(1972)Continuing my foray into the filmography I decided to check out one of his lesser known works Junior Bonner. Steve Mqueen is Junior a down on his luck rodeo competitor who returns home after a long absence to find that times are changing and their changing fast. His brother is selling off the family property moving them from their lifelong homes into trailer parks and making a killing doing it. If the Wild Bunch showed a way of life beginning to die off this film shows us it's last breaths.

Peckinpah is know most known for his action sequences, and rightfully so they are incredible. But here there's not a shot fired and what comes to the forefront is a sweetness that you wouldn't necessarily expect from the man. At its core its about a family coming together, putting aside their differences and embracing each other either if only for one brief moment. Like much of Peckinpah's movies there's a fantastic commentary track with 3 authors of Peckinpah biographies (including the one I'm reading now If They Move Kill Em!). Its infectious hearing these men love of Peckinpah's work and their combined research makes for some of the finest commentary tracks you can ask for.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #7285 on: March 08, 2014, 12:38:35 PM »

DEVIL'S MESSENGER (1962)
This Lon Chaney Jr. flick was in the LEGENDS OF HORROR 50-film set I got recently; it used to show regularly on Ghoulardi BITD, but I hadn't seen it since 1968.

The Devil's Messenger (1961) Small | Large

I'd have to place it in the "cheap-but-still-creepy" category- this was a three am," woke up and can't get back to sleep" viewing, but I think it held up....enjoyable.

This next movie is from the same set....

THE END OF THE WORLD (1977)

End of the World 1977 [Mystery | Sci-Fi | Thriller] Full Movie Small | Large

This Charles Band time-killer stars Christopher Lee in probably his most embarrassing role since Captain Ramses in STARSHIP INVASIONS. This picture has that same Canadian tax-shelter look as S.I., Mr. Lee playing a dual role, two copies of the same priest (?!?) who's really an alien, with a bunch of nuns who are also aliens,  and a hero with that patented 70's anchorman hairdo, deer-in -headlights expression, Talking G.I. Joe delivery, and a really insultung tweed suit that looks like this

but worse....just watch the film.

NURSE SHERRI (1978)

A double-feature set with FIVE BLOODY GRAVES

Hospital of Terror (Nurse Sherri) Small | Large

Al Adamson....what can I say? Watch the movie.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 02:14:29 PM by alandhopewell » Logged

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #7286 on: March 08, 2014, 02:55:56 PM »

Whisper of the Heart (1995): A young girl named Shizuku with a love of books, especially fairy tales, dreams of romance and adventure especially as it concerns a mysterious young boy who's checked out almost all the same books as she has. One day she spots a cat on a train and decides to follow it hoping it will lead her on an adventure. It eventually leads her to an antique shop and a kindly old gentleman named Shiro Nishi. She also keeps encountering an annoying boy who seems to have an habit of really irritating her and getting under her skin.

This sweet little story, screenplay written by Hayao Miyazaki, and directed by Yoshifumi Kondô, is quite involving. The animation is particularly beautiful and I like the film's many quiet moments where one is basically just encouraged to let go and enjoy the moment, those everyday moments that may seem ordinary in some ways but yet possess a certain beauty and appreciation for life. The story takes a few magical turns with regards to a story being written by our young heroine that arguably don't work quite so well in the film but yet have their place in a way in terms of advancing the story forward. Romantic and fun. Just a quiet little story of a youth romance. **** out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7287 on: March 08, 2014, 08:57:44 PM »

"Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" (2006) Johnny Depp is back for a second round as Capt. Jack Sparrow, battling the fish faced Davy Jones and his crew of mutants over yet another priceless treasure. Entertaining nonsense.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7288 on: March 09, 2014, 08:59:30 AM »

"Birth of the Living Dead" (2013) - a documentary about the making of George Romero's "Night of the Living Dead" and how it became a game changer that redefined the horror genre and independent filmmaking. A little dry in spots, but mostly entertaining.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7289 on: March 09, 2014, 09:53:18 AM »

BAD MILO! (2013): An accountant finds that his searing intestinal pains come from a monster that lives in his lower intestine, who emerges from his bowels to kill whatever is causing him undue stress in his life. A lot more thoughtful and psychologically probing than the usual  movie about butt-monsters, which may explain why it's failed to resonate with midnight movie crowds---this is a case where the movie might benefit from a less tasteful approach. 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 ... 484 485 [486] 487 488 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.