Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:41:32 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2100617 times)
claws
« Reply #7560 on: May 27, 2014, 03:52:58 AM »

The 'Burbs (1989)

Young man on vacation at home spends too much time spying on his weird new neighbors. Things escalate when he forms a 'Neighborhood Watchgroup" with two buddies...
When first released, The 'Burbs was neither a flop nor a success. However, Joe Dante's 'horror comedy' with a limited setting gained a cult following over the years. This is still a highly entertaining movie with lots of off beat moments and horror film references (The Sentinel, Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, The Exorcist and more). 4.5/5
I watched the German Blu-ray (first ever Blu-ray release worldwide) and the picture quality is quite solid.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7561 on: May 27, 2014, 05:53:44 AM »

Miner's Massacre aka Curse of the Forty-Niner (2002) - some kids go to an old west ghost town in hopes of finding a gold mine. Unfortunately an evil miner comes back to life and starts killing them. This is kind of an old favorite; it's cheesy and silly but the characters are fun and the girls are pretty. 4/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7562 on: May 27, 2014, 05:58:53 AM »

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy (2005)

You all know the story but I found the film pretty much 'meh' having never read the book and despite the connections Andrew and Newt have to it  Wink.

It was OK but no more than that: I found the aliens to be rather stomach churning in appearance.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #7563 on: May 27, 2014, 07:50:02 AM »

You all know the story but I found the film pretty much 'meh' having never read the book and despite the connections Andrew and Newt have to it  Wink.

It was OK but no more than that: I found the aliens to be rather stomach churning in appearance.

Bluesad

Don't let the Vogon poetry get you down.   Perhaps it would have been more fun in the right company?  I could be Ford Prefect to your Arthur Dent.  TeddyR

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7564 on: May 27, 2014, 07:59:50 AM »

bah
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #7565 on: May 27, 2014, 01:15:31 PM »

Charlie Chan in Honolulu (1938): While his father Charlie Chan (Sidney Toler) is distracted by the approaching birth of his first grandchild, number two son Jimmy Chan (Victor Sen Yung) sets out to impress his father by impersonating him in hopes of solving a mysterious murder aboard a freighter located in the harbour. When Charlie learns of this, he sets about trying to straighten things out hoping his son hasn't landed himself in too much hot water.

This was a fun little entry in the series with a number of unusual characters in the mix in particular the bizarre and somewhat strange Dr. Cardigan played by George Zucco, Eddie Collins doing a Costello-like bit as Al Hogan, the kooky caretaker of a cargo of wild animals headed for the zoo including a pet lion named Oscar, leading suspects Judy Hayes (Phyllis Brooka) who witnessed the murder and Mrs. Carol Wayne (played by Claire Dodds) who isn't quite who she seems, with the rest of the ship's crew and passengers rounding out the remaining suspects. This one keeps you guessing and has a lot of fun little comedy bits that makes the time go quickly by while watching this minor mystery film. Fun stuff but little here we haven't seen done better in the series. Best thing about this one is Zucco. Nice introduction to the series for Sidney Toler and Victor Sen Yung who would continue to reappear in future films. I'll give it ***1/2 out of ***** stars.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 01:19:11 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7566 on: May 28, 2014, 05:49:22 AM »

Episode 50 (2011) - two paranormal investigation groups go to an abandoned insane asylum ("the most haunted place in America") and...sigh. You've seen this movie 5 times before. You've got those CGI ghosts that shake around and move like their bones are broken, you've got shadowy, transparent figures walking around all over the place, and every time a character is talking to the camera a ghost walks by, unnoticed, in the background. The sum total of it all is one good jump scare. The characters aren't especially likable or sympathetic and the ending is cheese-ball city.  2.5/5.

The Legend of Hell House (1973) - a group of paranormal investigators go to an abandoned mansion to get to the bottom of the mystery surrounding the place. Okay, THIS is how you do this sort of movie. Very good characters, oodles of Gothic atmosphere, and an intriguing plot. Cool ending too. 4.5/5.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7567 on: May 28, 2014, 01:58:17 PM »

"The International" (2009) Globe trotting cloak & dagger stuff with Clive Owen as an Interpol agent investigating a major European bank that also dabbles in illegal arms deals and assassinations. A technically well made flick with lots of purty Euro scenery, but a bit on the dry side except for an epic shootout set in New York's Guggenheim Museum. I've seen better but I've also seen lots worse.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 12:05:59 PM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7568 on: May 28, 2014, 10:45:05 PM »

Freddy- I felt the same way. I think in general America is a little better at those sorts of films.

Dead of Winter (2007) - This kicked my ass. It's fairly low budget but the acting is fine. A guy and a girl go to a New Year's party and snort meth and I think unknowingly take LSD. This combination apparently doesn't work for them because they end up lost in the woods. They get more and more lost and cold as their mind plays tricks on them. The 911 operator tries to help but they're so high that they aren't much help.

One good thing about this movie: they worked cell phones in. You have to have cell phones and or the internet in your plot. Sorry, screenwriters. No one doesn't have a phone and no one isn't totally anal about always having it. The girlfriend was sweet and demure like an old time movie actress. The boyfriend was good though a little too intent on turning this into the Shining, needs to lay off the Nicholson a bit.

Yeah, the whole thing was basically an anti drug PSA but it worked for me. There's plenty of stuff you can pick at including various acting performances but it was different and compelling 5/5 note this is much higher than what most people have tended to award it
Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7569 on: May 28, 2014, 11:05:03 PM »

Is this Lost Signal (2006)? I might watch it

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7570 on: May 29, 2014, 03:54:35 AM »

Bluesad

Don't let the Vogon poetry get you down.   Perhaps it would have been more fun in the right company?  I could be Ford Prefect to your Arthur Dent.  TeddyR

That would be nice.  Smile

Mos Def's acting - especially his voice - always makes me want to reach for something heavy as he spoiled the otherwise good 16 Blocks for me. The aliens in that film: BLEURGH. Martin Freeman was OK as Arthur and Zooey Deschanel was OK as Trillian. Visual FX: good. Music and narration: good. Production design: good. Script: funny.

So more pros than cons but if it screens again on the weekend, I will watch it again and report as I couldn't make it through the film the first two times I watched it.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7571 on: May 29, 2014, 06:16:12 AM »

The Last Days on Mars (2013) - a small group of astronauts are on Mars, taking various soil samples etc. One of them digs up some sort of bacterial life form, and it's not long before people are turning into murderous space zombies. Will the survivors be able to make it to the landing pad and leave the planet, or will they too become infected? This was pretty average. The special effects were cool - when they were driving their rovers around Mars it was very convincing. For some reason they decided to make one character an absolute b***h and another a cowardly backstabber; I have no idea why. I guess that's their idea of character development? It just made the movie unpleasant. There was little in the way of characterization in the other people either (though there was some). It also lacked any real drama. Every 20 minutes or so I found myself putting it on pause and doing something else. Good enough for a 3.5/5 though I guess.

- Paulo Coelho
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #7572 on: May 29, 2014, 07:35:16 AM »

No one doesn't have a phone and no one isn't totally anal about always having it.

While I agree that phones and internet have to be taken into consideration as a part of the general environment, IME it is highly common to misplace your cell or even have it non-functioning for whatever reason.   I certainly would not expect someone who is high or drunk (or otherwise incapacitated/not in functional condition: voluntarily or not) to be able to keep track of their phone.

And I don't have one and I regularly spend a lot of my time in environments where most people are not carrying one or all phones are turned off and/or not at hand.  (shrug).  Generalisations are such fun.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7573 on: May 29, 2014, 07:53:15 AM »

Newt - It was a generalization but that's kind of the point: it's something enough people do that it's a bit ostentatious if someone doesn't. just a bit  Wink

Josso - yes
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7574 on: May 29, 2014, 10:33:25 AM »

I suppose we should be thankful that we only have to watch the inevitable scene where everyone holds up their phones and says "I'm not getting a signal, are you?"  "No I'm not either."  If they really wanted to be realistic about it, everyone in a social setting would be ignoring each other in favor of talking / texting on their phones, and spending their entire lives playing Call of Duty or updating their Facebook status.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 ... 503 504 [505] 506 507 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.