Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:30:19 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2093807 times)
claws
« Reply #8010 on: September 18, 2014, 12:08:34 PM »

Vidocq (2001)

19th Century Paris, France: young man investigates the death of famous Detective Vidocq who was after a serial killer alchemist. The young man's journey through Paris brings him to dark places, leaving behind a trail of murdered witnesses.
Expensive interlaced/deinterlaced cam-experimental crime thriller that looks like it was shot on HD Video, but not really. Excellent production values, setting and costumes. Vidocq is kind of like  Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001) except for a creature you'll get a Jack the Ripper/Phantom of the Opera type of "high tech" killer. This has been on my to watch list for ages. Glad I finally caught up. 4/5
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:12:13 PM by claws » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8011 on: September 18, 2014, 12:31:22 PM »

Sector 7 (2011) - Korean movie about some people on an offshore oil rig who get attacked by a sea monster. Pretty typical plot I guess but the characters were above average and the monster was pretty cool. Fun if rather fake action sequences. A bit too much goofy humor in the first half but it gets down to business in the second. A favorite of mine, 4/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8012 on: September 18, 2014, 05:31:26 PM »

Last night I watched ASYLUM OF THE DEAD.  Ever since GRAVE ENCOUNTERS I have been a sucker for haunted asylum movies, even if none of them have lived up to that epic bit of microbudget horror.  This one was better than most, although the "story within a story" layering effect was really annoying.  But it did have some creepy moments, and a gratuitous nude scene that went on for about three minutes - Jack would have appreciated that!  All in all, it was mostly worth the rental, although one of the "big reveals" was painfully obvious - no, not the nude scene, the "big reveal" in the plot.  Overall, about 2.5/5 for this one.  Maybe 3.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8013 on: September 19, 2014, 06:21:39 AM »

3 Musketeers (2011) - some secret agents team up to thwart a plot to kill the President. One of those Asylum movies, it's truly as stupid as it could possibly be. 2/5.

The Crypt (2009) - a group of hot babes goes into an old crypt to steal the jewelry off the bodies entombed there. Of course the place is haunted and the ghosts ain't too happy about people stealing their stuff. This is a favorite of mine, good atmosphere in the dark catacombs and the characters were cool. Not really very developed, but well...nice to look at that's for sure. The ghosts were perhaps a bit cheesy in their presentation, but not too bad. 4/5.

- Paulo Coelho
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #8014 on: September 19, 2014, 07:19:07 AM »

The Crypt (2009) - a group of hot babes ... Not really very developed...

Really, Jack?  I need a one-eyebrow-up emoticion.   BounceGiggle

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8015 on: September 19, 2014, 07:30:45 AM »

The Crypt (2009) - a group of hot babes ... Not really very developed...

Really, Jack?  I need a one-eyebrow-up emoticion.   BounceGiggle

Well, "developed" has more than one meaning I guess, and I'm just gonna leave it at that  TeddyR

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8016 on: September 19, 2014, 07:56:42 AM »

Cocktail- or "Bartender" as Patrick Bateman called it in American Psycho. This is a little odd but I guess pretty good. Tom Cruise is kind of good but kind of like a serial killer. He's good looking and charismatic enough, but he's strange to watch in this role. It's kind of like that time he freaked out on Oprah's couch, he's too excited.

A guy comes to NYC with big dreams, but soon realizes there's a lot of competition so he gets a job as a bartender with the intention of working his way up. his boss shows him the ropes and they become buddies, but Cruise is wary of his bosses lack of morals in the pursuit of $$ which he unfortunately shares in spite of himself. Various women appear including Gina Gershon and most delightfully Elizabeth Shue, who shows a minor talent for judo throws I don't know what that's about. The bosses skanky rich girl gf was a favorite character of mine.

This isn't a great movie and the bartending scenes, which I imagine were the selling point at the time, are silly but I'm glad I finally saw this. It seemed to take about 7 hours to get through though. There are serious dramatic moments but it's also a movie about flashy bartenders so ?? 3/5
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8017 on: September 19, 2014, 09:01:12 AM »

THE BRAIN MACHINE (1977): Four subjects volunteer for what turns out to be a government mind control project; the protocol requires them to tell the absolute truth, no matter how painful. To tell the absolute truth, this drawn-out sci-fi drama is painful to watch. 1/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8018 on: September 19, 2014, 05:26:48 PM »

THE BATTERY - Two former professional baseball players make their way across a post-zombie apocalypse America, looking for fellow survivors and trying to make sense of the strange world in which they find themselves.  Lots of great human drama, not a lot of zombie gore. But the main characters are very interesting and sympathetic, and the idea of a closed human community that not only refuses to take in more members but will shoot people who trespass or try to find out more about them was an interesting twist.  4/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #8019 on: September 19, 2014, 11:46:23 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen, My Name is Paul Heyman (2014): This documentary from WWE provides an overview and traces the career of wrestling manager Paul E. Dangerously who later became better known by his real name as Paul Heyman from his humble beginning as a teenage wrestling photographer and fanzine writer to his later involvement in wrestling as a manager starting with Florida, then Memphis, moving to the AWA, WCW, ECW where he was given the creative book and eventually took over the company, finally to WWE.

It is as told by Paul Heyman himself and many of those he worked with over all his years in the wrestling business tracing from way back in the early 1980s as a photographer right on up to today. It`s a pretty solid documentary and I was happy see commentary provided by the likes of Raven, Tommy Dreamer, Tod Gordon, Jerry Lawler, Mick Foley, CM Punk, Edge, Stephanie McMahon, Beth Phoenix, Brock Lesnar, the Big Show, Rob Van Dam and more. Notably missing of course are the guys Heyman worked with who are now in TNA such as the Dudleys, Kurt Angle, Rhino, Taz, etc.  Honestly I would like to have seen some commentary from some of those guys too but I guess you can`t expect that in a WWE documentary...there`s some other notable names missing too like Shane Douglas, Francine, Sabu, and a few others.

I was pleased to learn so much about Heyman`s days as a photographer and how he wormed/conned/hustled his way into the business and how he has worked to keep himself in wrestling however he could throughout his career. That proved very entertaining. Also liked a lot of the stuff he discussed about Memphis on this DVD although I would have liked to have heard more about his time in the AWA and WCW. Apparently for legal reasons, Heyman cannot talk too much about WCW having made some kind of legal settlement with them in the 1990s. There's a lot of focus given to ECW understandably although I suspect some fans will be disappointed that there's little really new offered here (there was some interesting stuff covered and it was cool to hear Heyman's viewpoint) we haven't heard before and many things are kind of skimmed over. Still this documentary proves really entertaining nevertheless. It helps that Heyman is actually a terrific talker and entertainer (I especially enjoyed his early AWA stuff included as extras, would have liked to have seen some stuff from Memphis but WWE still doesn't own that library, the WCW stuff is pretty cool too). Heyman in WWE has actually been a very successful manager too but they don't spend a ton of time on that I guess because they expect we already know a lot of about it but they do cover Brock Lesnar and his run as creative writer for Smackdown to the position he holds today as on-air talent. Overall for that reason, I'd give this **** out of ***** stars (I knock a star only because there's censorship done on this DVD which I hated and you get the sense that they are holding some stuff back, and for some of the stars not included).
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:48:30 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Javakoala
« Reply #8020 on: September 19, 2014, 11:51:03 PM »

Tonight I Will Possess Your Soul (1967)

Another of the Coffin Joe movies. This one pushed the offensiveness to 11, but seemed less sacrilegious in the long run than the original. Loads of weird-@ss fun with a hoot of an color ingress into the film as the main character Coffin Joe dreams he is sucked into Hell.

I still have the final film of the trilogy to watch. I'm expecting large amounts of gore.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8021 on: September 20, 2014, 02:32:02 PM »

MST3K: UNTAMED YOUTH: The experiment is about a plan to arrest teenagers on trumped up charges and, instead of putting them in jail, send them to a farm where they pick cotton during the day and stage sock hops at night. The movie is supremely silly but it isn't all that bad, and Mamie Van Doren wiggles and jiggles her way across the screen shamelessly (I'm not kidding---she even sings a song titled "Jiggle & Wiggle & Wriggle & Rock.") The bots commentary is amusing but nothing special and the Gypsy-centered host segments are ambitious but not too successful. A strong movie makes this a decent, watchable season 1 episode. 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
316zombie
« Reply #8022 on: September 20, 2014, 08:03:39 PM »

THE FAIRY
this is a french film i watched yesterday,one of the strangest,and funniest,movies i've seen in a long time!
i had hubby watch it this morning,and he LOVED it!
the male and female leads,at first,are 2 of the fugliest people you've ever seen in a movie,but that POV last about 7 minutes.
then you fall in love with who they are,and HOW they are,and you just...forget that,and see the inner beauty there.
i know people like this in real life too,it has always proved to me that first impressions aren't always the right ones,you know?
i'm not going to give away the storyline,i'm just going to say that if you love strange movies, WATCH THIS!! hot hot hot hot hot Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup
claws
« Reply #8023 on: September 21, 2014, 01:52:23 PM »

Trance (2013)

Young man with gambling addiction working at auction gets involved in a heist but lost his memory during an accident before he could hand over the stolen painting. A gang of criminals he was working for sends him to a female psychiatrist specialized in medical hypnosis so they can find out where the stolen painting is hidden.
Multi-layered sexy crime thriller tossing countless plot twists your way that will make your head spin. Almost flawless. 4.5/5

The Croods (2013)

A family of cavemen go on a dangerous journey to a "better" place when their old neighborhood falls victim to earthquakes and volcanic activity.
Pretty neat DreamWorks animation. I really enjoyed this a lot. 4.5/5

Now You See Me (2013)

A cop is investigating criminal activities of four superstar magicians who rob banks with tricks and illusions during their sold out shows.
Slick thriller filled with tons of surprises. Think David Copperfield meets The Usual Suspects. 4/5
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #8024 on: September 21, 2014, 01:54:03 PM »

Where the Red Fern Grows (2003): Now an old man (played at this stage by Kris Kristofferson), Billy Coleman (as a young boy played by Joseph Ashton) recalls his days living in the Ozark mountains and his desire as a young lad to own two red-bone hound 'coon hunting dogs and then the adventures and life he enjoyed when he finally managed to secure the two dogs whom he named "Old Dan" and "Little Ann"  

This movie, apparently pretty much an outright remake of the 1974 film both based on the novel of the same title, does a pretty good job IMO. Now I haven't seen the original film but I felt this movie does its job very well in terms of getting us to sympathize with and like the lead Billy as played by Joseph Ashton and his family and friends including his father Will (played by Dave Matthews), his mother a Cherokee Indian named Jenny (Renee Faia), his Grandpa (played by Dabney Coleman), his friend Sheriff Abe McConnell (Ned Beatty), and finally Hod Bellington (Mac Davis). Quite a good cast of supporting characters in this one. It does feel like a throwback in many ways and actually feels like a much earlier than 2003 film in terms of storytelling and style of film (in terms of that I suspect it's very close to its 70s predecessor). Still our story does take a sad turn before it is over which may well disturb many viewers. In addition, the fact that the main thing Billy wants the dog for is to hunt cute little raccoons in this movie may bother many other viewers but thankfully they don't dwell too much on that or show 'coons getting killed. Still there's a certain realism to the story here that does ring true and the ending does prove somewhat bittersweet and helps us understand the events that helped shape Billy into the man he would later become. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

Kettle of Fish (2006): Now in his 40s, musician Mel (Matthew Modine) begins to get the itch to settle down and finally have a serious relationship and believing he may have found that in a young woman he's dating named Inga (Ewa Da Cruz) decides to sublet his apartment which is quickly rented by a gorgeous animal biologist named Ginger (Gina Gershon). However when his relationship with Inga doesn't turn out quite as expected, he suddenly finds himself thrown back into his old apartment and reluctantly living with Ginger. Soon he turns his attentions towards a new romantic conquest, the newly married Diana (Christy Scott Cashman) whom he believes he's made an "instant connection" with. Eventually Mel begins to learn some truths about himself and what it is he truly wants in love.

This romantic comedy was actually quite enjoyable. Some of the stuff with the fish and the frog did seem rather far fetched but getting past that, this movie has a certain charm. It's a slightly different spin on the romantic comedy as the lead looking for love in all the wrong places and wanting to settle down proves to be a man, a role typically played by women in these films. Modine is pretty good here and for once gets to play a likable, average guy who perhaps just a bit misguided. His friends actually behave like friends. The funniest bits involve a misguided strip tease dance (done by Christy Cashman), the boring comment, the interaction with the slightly creepy Harry, and the Central Park miscommunication but these are more amusing, peculiar funny than laugh out loud funny. The film is also a tad formulaic but I enjoyed it more than I do most of these type of films so I'll give it ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.