Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:48:55 PM
713371 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2100902 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #8280 on: December 10, 2014, 11:31:56 PM »

Awesome Lotus (1983): Retired special agent Awesome Lotus (Lorraine Masteron) is called out of retirement to try and bring down an evil plot put forth by Herr Bassett (Dutch Shindler), the Nazi-esque dictator of a small island, to destroy the silk fashion industry. Somehow this involves the murder of models and silkworms. Awesome Lotus recruits her old friends and allies Chuck Tuna, master of using the tennis racket as a weapon, and Tofu Caca, a seemingly blind fighter and all around colorful character, to help her in her fight. Much chaos ensues in this martial arts movie parody.

While this did show some promise and inventiveness here and there, overall this feels like a very amateurish effort, more like an overlong late night TV sketch without any truly talented actors that just goes on and on too long. It's like a group of friends took an improv idea of parodying films, primarily martial arts and spy films, they did at some point and basically turned it into a real film. This even makes an attempt or two at becoming/parodying a musical as well. That said, there are a few funny bits here and there: The ordering food comedy bit with Tuna and Tofu had its moments, and I felt the opening was somewhat clever and funny. The rest was much more hit and miss. Overall it's never as funny as it hopes to be, the acting is never particularly good or memorable, and there just too many crazy ideas and bizarre things thrown at the viewer here. Someone looking for something a bit offbeat might well be entertained but as a comedy, this fails. Honestly it was amusing but I was also bored quite a bit watching this mish mash comedy parody. **1/2 out of ***** stars

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8281 on: December 11, 2014, 11:46:24 AM »

THE OVERNIGHTERS (2014): This documentary follows Pastor Jay Reinke as he turns his church (and home) into a shelter for the down-on-their-luck men swarming upon the small town of Williston, North Dakota, to find jobs in the booming oilfields, despite increasing opposition from locals who view the men as a nuisance at best, criminals at worst. Morally, spiritually and psychologically complex---one of the best docs of the year, and a rare challenging Christian-themed film. 4/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
claws
« Reply #8282 on: December 11, 2014, 12:04:24 PM »

Shallow Grave (1987)

Four girls "escape" their strict catholic high school for an extended weekend vacation of fun - a road trip to Fort Lauderdale for Spring Break. The trip is cut short when the girls experience car trouble, now stranded in backwoods-ish rural country. When one of the girls witnesses a brutal murder they get into deadly trouble while seeking help from authorities.
The first half hour plays out like your typical 1980s teen comedy - cute girls, big hair, extreme 1980s fashion and music. Once they encounter danger the film gets kind of mean spirited - which sets it apart from the usual slasher fare of its time. Sadly this never made it to DVD because no original master exists. So by the looks of it Shallow Grave is doomed to be seen in second generation VHS quality. 3.75/5
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:09:12 PM by claws » Logged
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8283 on: December 12, 2014, 06:47:58 AM »

"I Know That Voice!" (2012)

I KNOW THAT VOICE Trailer v1

John DiMaggio, best known as"Bender" on "Futurama," produced this entertaining documentary about the people who provide character voices for cartoons and video games, including interviews with cast members from "Spongebob," "Animaniacs," "The Simpsons" and dozens more. You might know their voices but in many cases you've never seen their faces before! Interesting stuff.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8284 on: December 12, 2014, 08:19:46 AM »

Saint Nick (2010) - horror comedy set in Amsterdam about about St. Nick who, contrary to popular belief, was actually a nasty ol' guy who demanded money and virgins from the local townsfolk. Eventually the citizens got up the nerve to put an end to his reign of terror, but in the present day he's back for revenge. It's up to a young guy and a somewhat screwy detective to once again put a stop to his murderous rampage. I watched this last year and really enjoyed it; on repeat viewing it wasn't quite as good, but still a perfectly enjoyable waste of an hour and a half. 3/5.

Anthropophagus (1980) - some young people go to an island and are surprised to find the town deserted. Sure enough there's a cannibalistic killer on the loose. Unfortunately all these people are so bereft of survival skills that I think any 9 year old kid could probably kill them without much trouble. It had a little bit of atmosphere I guess. Characters were pretty bland and the attacks were just laughable. Plenty of gore though. 2.5/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8285 on: December 12, 2014, 05:36:50 PM »

BIG HERO SIX (2014): In fictional "San Fransokyo," a 14-year old robotics genius retrofits his brother's inflatable health care robot into a fighting machine to take down a supervillain. With its calculated cross-cultural appeal, Eurasian hero, anime imagery, Marvel superhero spectacle, Pixar-style 3D animation and Disney-style sentimental storytelling, this conglomeration seems marketed and pre-franchised to within an inch of its life; yet, it works as solid entertainment, and the world that feels more organic than its collection of popular trends would predict. 3.5/5.

CALVARY (2014): A priest ministers to an Irish town full of drunks, adulterers, lost souls, and one man with a personal vendetta against the church. Brendan Gleeson is great as the principled and passionate priest asked to pay the price for the sins of the Catholic Church. Also contains the best opening line of the year (maybe the decade). 5/5.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8286 on: December 12, 2014, 05:55:10 PM »

PHOBIA (2014) After losing his wife in a car accident, McKinley develops a terrible case of agoraphobia.  Unable to leave his home, he depends on the kindness of his best friend and the romantic interest of the girl who delivers his groceries - but neither of these things can keep him from the slow slide into madness, paranoia, and hallucinations that ultimately drive him to do terrible things to the people who have been nothing but kind to him.

This was a well-done microbudget film that did a very good job putting you inside the head of a person descending into the pits of insanity.  I probably throw the word "brilliant" around a bit too much, but this was a brilliant film!
4.5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8287 on: December 13, 2014, 08:14:31 AM »

The Boogey Man (1980) - two kids live with their mom and her abusive boyfriend. One night the little boy kills the boyfriend, and 20 years later the sister is still suffering from nightmares of the boogeyman. So her psychiatrist tells her to go back to the house where it happened (that always turns out well, doesn't it?), and she breaks a mirror which releases the bad guy's spirit, and he sets about killing various people. This was decent; Suzanna Love does a good job in the lead role and other than that it's just a slow moving but moderately enjoyable supernatural slasher. 3/5.

Boogeyman 2 (2007) - I think this is actually a sequel to a different movie, not the 1980 one. A young girl and boy see their parents murdered by the boogeyman, and years later once they're adults the girl is still suffering from nightmares about it. She checks herself into a psychiatric hospital and wouldn't ya know it, the boogeyman starts killing everyone off in ways that mirror their various phobias. This was fun, with well developed characters and I always love horror movies set in hospitals, they're scary enough even without a killer lurking about. Plot moved along pretty well, unlike the first movie. 3.5/5.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8288 on: December 13, 2014, 11:06:00 AM »

THE TALE OF PRINCESS KAGUYA (2013): A bamboo cutter finds a tiny girl in a bamboo shoot; he raises her and trains her to become a noble, and eventually a princess, in this impressive animated fairy tale from Japan. Looks like cherry blossom ink on rice paper. Will not interest kids. 4/5.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8289 on: December 14, 2014, 09:10:49 PM »

"Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas!" (2000)
Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas Trailer Small | Large

Ron Howard's lavish live action adaptation of the Dr. Seuss classic is an overlong, overstuffed sandwich of berserk set design, attention-deficit action scenes, shrill characters, and tons of padding to fill the story out to feature length.
Jim Carrey is fun to watch as the Grinch, but to be honest I could understand why he hates the Whos so much in this version - because they're a bunch of irritating, overbearing, narrow minded, consumerist-zombie a**holes.
I watched this one today because the kids wanted to see it, but from here on I'm sticking to the great animated version by Chuck Jones.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #8290 on: December 14, 2014, 11:58:59 PM »

Christmas at Cartwright's (2014): Desperate for a job to support herself and her young daughter, a single mom named Nicky (Alicia Witt) accepts an unlikely new post as a department store Santa Claus, a position she might just have had a bit of angelic help getting. This seems to set her life on a more positive path with hope of romance also in the air.

This was an O.K. Christmas fluff movie, kind of like the ones we typically see on Lifetime or W. Everything is perhaps a tad too nice for the most part but other than that, this is harmless enough. There's nothing too memorable about it though although it was cool to see familiar face Wallace Shawn cast in an heroic role for a change. Pretty forgettable stuff overall though. *** out of ***** stars.

Home Alone (1990): After being mistakenly left home alone by his parents who are on vacation in France, 8-year old Kevin McCallister (Macaulay Culkin) must defend his house from bumbling burglars Harry (Joe Pesci) and Marv (Daniel Stern) as the Christmas holidays approach. Meanwhile upon discovery of Kevin being missing, his mother Kate (Catherine O'Hara) desperately tries to get back to her son.

This is always fun to watch at this time of the year. It never fails to be funny and amusing even if it is largely a live-action cartoon especially when Harry and Marv are trying to navigate Kevin's many traps. That said, this film also has some nice sentimental moments going for it too and I always find myself liking Old Man Marley (Roberts Blossom) whom Kevin unexpectedly befriends. **** out of ***** stars.

Little Fockers (2010): Recognizing the growing threat of his heart condition, family patriarch Jack Byrnes (Robert De Niro) realizes he needs a successor and wonders if Greg Focker (Ben Stiller) might just be worthy. Jack however begins to have doubts when he starts to suspect Greg and his daughter Pam (Teri Polo) are having marital problems and he suspects Greg's involvement with a young, hot pharmaceutical representative named Andi Garcia (Jessica Alba).

This was yet another unnecessary sequel that really adds nothing of value to what has come before in this series. Lots of truly gross-out humor in this one that just isn't funny involving things such as vomiting, anal probe flirting, and a disturbing erection scene. The kids really add nothing to this film and are just there to add to jokes and the gross, inappropriate humor. A step down from its predecessors, they really should have ended this series with the previous film. As it is, the only few fleeting bright moments here come from Dustin Hoffman and Bette Midler as Greg's parents Bernie and Roz Focker and Owen Wilson as Greg and Pam's old friend Kevin. Polo is pretty much wasted here as is Blythe Danner as Jack's wife Dina. Just skip this one, it's really not worth catching. ** out of ***** stars

« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 12:04:20 AM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8291 on: December 15, 2014, 12:08:08 AM »

ANTIDOTE (2014)  This was a fairly boring DTV Zombie Apocalypse film that tried to be more artsy than horrifying.  A man is traveling through the post ZA countryside with his brother's widow, trying to reach his parents downstate.  He's been scratched and infected, and she is giving him an antidote that delays the transformation but also causes paranoia and violence.  In the end, she refuses to acknowledge the inevitability of his condition and nearly falls victim to him when he turns.  Decent acting, but that's about it. 2.4/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8292 on: December 15, 2014, 07:15:45 AM »

"Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas!" (2000)
Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas Trailer
Ron Howard's lavish live action adaptation of the Dr. Seuss classic is an overlong, overstuffed sandwich of berserk set design, attention-deficit action scenes, shrill characters, and tons of padding to fill the story out to feature length.
Jim Carrey is fun to watch as the Grinch, but to be honest I could understand why he hates the Whos so much in this version - because they're a bunch of irritating, overbearing, narrow minded, consumerist-zombie a**holes.
I watched this one today because the kids wanted to see it, but from here on I'm sticking to the great animated version by Chuck Jones.

I saw that was on TV last night and I'm like "oh cool!" and then I saw it was the Jim Carrey version and I'm like "oh forget it."

- Paulo Coelho
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8293 on: December 15, 2014, 07:20:40 AM »

PHOBIA (2014) After losing his wife in a car accident, McKinley develops a terrible case of agoraphobia.  Unable to leave his home, he depends on the kindness of his best friend and the romantic interest of the girl who delivers his groceries - but neither of these things can keep him from the slow slide into madness, paranoia, and hallucinations that ultimately drive him to do terrible things to the people who have been nothing but kind to him.

This was a well-done microbudget film that did a very good job putting you inside the head of a person descending into the pits of insanity.  I probably throw the word "brilliant" around a bit too much, but this was a brilliant film!
4.5/5

When I saw the title, I thought it was that John Huston film (why, Big John, why?) from 1980.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8294 on: December 15, 2014, 02:30:07 PM »

THE BOXTROLLS (2014): A boy who had been raised by a group of box-wearing subterranean creatures (appropriately named the Boxtrolls) must defend his adopted family from a lactose-intolerant villain who has been promised nobility if he can exterminate the monsters. Excellent storybook stop-motion animation, thrilling action sequences, and a well-intentioned moral about the danger of demagogues scapegoating those who look and talk differently. 4/5.

A MOST VIOLENT YEAR (2014): An ambitious immigrant strives to expand his oil-transportation company while navigating a minefield of district attorney's investigations, ruthless competitors, tanker hijackings, and a headstrong wife who wants him to rely on her mob ties for solutions to the business' problems. A regression towards the conventional for writer/director J.C. Chandor, but Oscar Isaac is impressive as an old-fashioned American hero trying to do the right thing in a corrupt world. 3.5/5.

MST3K: GODZILLA VS. THE SEA MONSTER: This is one of the most confusing experiments the crew did; the movie involves Godzilla fighting a crab monster, sure, but there is also a fascist organization with nuclear ambitions and a bunch of Mothra-worshiping natives to figure out. As Crow says as the camera tracks a rope tied to an anchor, "this is the only thread I've been able to follow in this film." The "Godzilla Genealogy Bop" is a cute idea for a host segment that doesn't quite work. The last episode of season two and the crew seems to be running short on comic energy; you can't go wrong with Godzilla, though. 3/5. 

Pages: 1 ... 551 552 [553] 554 555 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.