Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:16:57 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2100632 times)
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8595 on: March 14, 2015, 02:00:28 PM »

"Hellboy" (2004)
Hellboy trailer

Ron Perlman is hilariously dry as the super powered, government-sponsored monster hunting demon in Guillermo del Toro's fast-paced, visually impressive action flick based on the cult comic book series.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #8596 on: March 14, 2015, 05:06:24 PM »

MacGruber (2010): Retired U.S. special operative MacGruber (Will Forte) is called back into action when a stolen nuclear warhead ends up in the hands of his arch-nemesis Dieter Von c**th (Val Kilmer), who has it happens also killed MacGruber beloved wife Casey (Maya Rudolph). He teams up with old ally Vickie St. Elmo (Kristen Wiig) and Lieutenant Dixon Piper (Ryan Phillippe), a clever and bright young operative, in hopes of tracking c**th and the stolen missile down. However MacGruber's methods are anything but ordinary.

This was a bit of a mixed bag. The action scenes were actually surprisingly well-executed in this spoof of MacGyver and 1980s action films and the characters seem well cast in their roles. The ending in particular was fun and over the top. I did not care though for the sick, twisted humor (this type of dumb juvenile humor just doesn't appeal to me personally, to me it makes for groan inducing pain) most of which comes across as unbelievable, far fetched, and sometimes kind of disgusting. I think this film would have been better had they went with over the top action sequences throughout not just at the end. As it is, **1/2 out of ***** stars is as much as I can give this and that feels slightly generous to me.  Wrestling fans might want to keep an eye out for cameos from Chris Jericho (the only speaking role), MVP, Mark Henry, Kane, The Great Khali, and The Big Show.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 05:09:12 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8597 on: March 14, 2015, 06:20:55 PM »

Jacob's Ladder (1990) - I hadn't seen this in 12,000 years. It's kind of Inception-y. I wouldn't call it "tight" really it kind of gets away from director Adrian Lyne a bit in places but it's still pretty solid. The "Hellish " type special effects haven't aged that well. 4/5
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 08:47:17 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
claws
« Reply #8598 on: March 15, 2015, 02:36:28 AM »

Girl House (2014)

In order to finance University, student Kylie takes a high paying job at "Girl House" - attractive young women living together in a house continuously monitored by cams. The "show" is broadcast live on the Internet to paying customers, with the girls doing all kind of sexual fantasy favors for the clients. Things get complicated when Kylie reconnects with an old high school flame, trying to keep her job a secret. When creepy regular customer "loverboy" is rejected by Kylie because of his disturbing stalkerish messages, he visits the girls at Girl House equipped with a tool box...
From the guys who gave us Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer (2007) and the criminally underrated The Shrine (2010) comes this somewhat high quality low budget slasher. Casting is much better than expected, all the girls are really beautiful and yes, there's nudity. Typical slasher plot (including Texas Chain Saw Massacre reference), bloody kills and a great showdown. This was fun. No DVD or Blu-ray release yet, only available as VoD on Amazon. 3.75/5
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8599 on: March 17, 2015, 06:26:44 AM »

Leprechaun: Origins (2014) - watched this again. Some college kids go to a tiny village in Ireland and because one of them is interested in history, the friendly locals tell them about a historic site to see nearby. They're even nice enough to put them up in a cabin for the night - unfortunately they lock them in so the local hairless baboon leprechaun can kill them. Yeah guess they weren't so friendly after all. This tried hard, it's got an okay creature, okay characters, okay atmosphere, but I dunno, something about it doesn't quite come together. It can't really be taken seriously as a horror movie, and it's not cheesy enough to work as silly entertainment. 2.5/5.

Lake Placid 3 (2010) - the killer croc's are back in the lake and all heck's breaking loose with the local beachgoers. Really fake looking CGI crocodiles, plenty of WTF? lapses in logic, but overall it was pretty fun. Good characters and a couple of very hot babes. 3/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8600 on: March 17, 2015, 08:32:10 AM »

No Escape / Escape From Absolom (1994): I saw this for the first time ever last night - good cheesy, gory fun.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #8601 on: March 18, 2015, 12:00:21 AM »

Fright Night (2011): A teenager's life is turned upside down when he realizes his new next door neighbor may in fact be a vampire.

This remake of the 1985 classic tells almost exactly the same story. It is fairly well cast with Anton Yelchin playing the teenage lead Charley, Colin Farrell playing Jerry the new neighbor, David Tennant playing Peter Vincent this time a magician instead of a movie star, and Imogen Poots providing the eye candy as Charley's girlfriend. There's a few minor changes that are kind of fun such as the car chase and the location of Vincent's retreat but really one is just better off watching the much superior 1985 classic. *** out of ***** stars.

Kickboxer 2: the Road Back (1991): David Sloan (Sasha Mitchell), brother of the Sloan brothers from the original Kickboxer although he's never mentioned in that film, runs a karate gym. When the gym gets in trouble, he decides to get back in kickboxing for one more fight. All goes well until unscrupulous promoters seeking revenge set fire to his gym leaving him hurt and in hospital. His brother's former trainer arrives in the United States hoping to help him get back on his feet. Following his recovery and seeing his friend/former trainee fall victim to a vicious fighter named Tong Po (Micheal Qissi), the same monster his brother Kurt (played by Jean Claude Van Damme in the first Kickboxer film) fought previously, David finds himself back in the kickboxing ring one more time this time looking for revenge and retribution against Tong Po in an unsanctioned Kickboxing death match.

The plot to this story owes a whole lot to the Rocky sequels (I see elements of III, IV, and V here) combined with the Kung Fu avenging the death of loved ones and friends subplot. It's actually surprisingly good and entertaining IMO. I really enjoyed the fights and there's a certain intensity here that makes this enjoyable. Sure it borrows a lot from elsewhere and fans of the previous film might be disappointed by what's done with characters from the first Kickboxer film and that Van Damme himself doesn't appear in this one but I feel it delivers where it needs to. *** out of ***** stars.

Ernest Goes to Camp (1987): Clumsy and moronic Ernest P. Worrell (Jim Varney) finds his dream of becoming a camp counselor at Kamp Kikakee finally about to come true. Unfortunately for him, he's assigned a group of "last chance" juvenile delinquents to watch over. However they find a rallying point to come together when the campground is threatened by an unscrupulous mining developer who cheats the Indian Chief who owns the land the camp is located upon out of his property.

Dumb fun Ernest film has some O.K. funny moments here and there particularly if you enjoy Varney's Ernest character. Personally I like it less than some of the other entries in the series given I found this more predictable and cliched than some of the other films. Some others might disagree as this film's premise is a tad more serious than the usual Ernest fare. **1/2 out of ***** stars.

Into the White (2012): Following an aerial battle during April 1940, British and German soldiers find themselves stranded in the snowy Norwegian wilderness. Eventually the British soldiers are captured and taken prisoner by the Germans and they hole up for the time being in an abandoned cabin. However if they want to survive the treacherous conditions, they might just have to work together.

Apparently inspired by a true story, we get a moving and sometimes intense story of survival. Good performances enhance things here as I really enjoyed the exchanges between British Gunner Smith (Rupert Grint) and Feldwebel Wolfgang Strunk (Stig Henrik Hoff) plus those between Captain Charles P. Davenport (Lachlan Nieboer) and Leutnant Horst Schopis (Florian Lukas). There's a bit too much here we hear talked about but never see. I think the film would have been even better if we saw more. As it is, it feels more like the middle of a story more than a complete one. Still it makes for an entertaining film and I like how all its characters seem somehow human and flawed. A good film but not a great film IMO. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

Sherlock Holmes Faces Death (1943): Another WWII time film featuring Sherlock Holmes (Basil Rathbone) and Dr. Watson (Nigel Bruce). This one has Holmes traveling to mysterious and spooky Musgrave Manor where recently Dr. Watson has been working as it's been opened as a convalescent home for ailing soldiers returned shaken from war. However Holmes is brought here by a mysterious attempted murder and shortly thereafter a series of murders. Holmes and Watson try to unravel the clues before more deaths occur in this old dark house style whodunnit. It somehow ties in with an old Musgrave family tradition called the Musgrave Ritual but the meaning behind it has been lost over the years. Can Holmes figure it all out or will he too become yet another victim?

This was quite good. It's very fast-moving and involving and a great mystery. There's elements of horror here and a real sense that perhaps Holmes might be in real danger this time around. That said, in some ways there are some slow-moving and overly dramatic moments here and perhaps a few red herrings too many. Plus I actually guessed the murderer well before the end. Still Rathbone and Bruce are delightful as always and Dennis Hoey provides some fun comic relief as bumbling Inspector Lestrade. Good to see they were moving away from the spy/enemy agent element with this one though. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:06:10 AM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8602 on: March 18, 2015, 07:26:28 AM »

No Escape / Escape From Absolom (1994): I saw this for the first time ever last night - good cheesy, gory fun.  Smile

Never heard of the movie, but aren't the two alternate titles completely opposites?  Question Is there no escape, or are they escaping from Absolom? Make up your mind, movie!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
claws
« Reply #8603 on: March 18, 2015, 07:46:16 AM »

It was released as No Escape in the U.S., and as Escape from Absolom in the rest of the world.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #8604 on: March 18, 2015, 01:03:24 PM »

"THX 1138" (1971)
THX 1138 (1971) - Original Trailer Small | Large

George Lucas' directorial debut (based on one of his own short student films) is a strange dystopian sci-fi flick that seems like a Stanley Kubrick version of "1984." Robert Duvall is a 25th century factory drone who rebels against his tightly controlled, sterile future world when he falls in love. It takes a while to get going but the second half is loaded with cool visuals. A little on the dry side but interesting.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8605 on: March 19, 2015, 06:46:07 AM »

I'm a bit behind here, these are my most recent viewings:

TREE HOUSE:  This was a surprisingly good little horror/suspense film.  A brother and sister go missing from a small town in Arkansas, prompting the cancellation of the annual Halloween Carnival.  A small group of teens decide to go out in the woods and shoot off their fireworks anyway, only to wind up stranded in a large tree house deep in the forest by a group of mysterious assailants who seem determined to pick them off one by one . . . great suspense, decent gore, and engaging characters.  This one was a pleasant Redbox surprise. 4.5/5

NO GOOD DEED The trailers for this movie have been everywhere, so I finally broke down and watched it this weekend.  It was a decent suspense movie with an engaging, charismatic villain, but the trailer gave away all the coolest moments (except one) and there were several moments where it was way too predictable, even without the trailer (how many times she knocked the bad guy down and then ran off without finishing him, I lost count!).  Not bad, just not nearly as good as I'd hoped.  3.5/5

THE CALLING  An interesting murder mystery set in Canada, with Susan Sarandon as a pill-popping, boozy cop trying to catch a serial killer who appears to be carrying out some ancient Christian ritual sacrifice for the resurrection of the dead.  Some nice moments overall, even if the Scriptural history was so badly off as to make THE DA VINCI CODE look like a fundamentalist documentary.  The villain was particularly engaging. 4/5

EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS:  After NOAH, I was hoping for a Bible movie that would actually bear some resemblance to the Bible story.  Overall, this one was somewhat better than NOAH but still diverged ridiculously from the Exodus narrative.  The ten plagues were probably the most compelling part of the whole film, but some parts of the story - like Moses hiding among the Hebrews and training an army rather than confronting Pharaoh directly after each plague, while the Egyptians hang a different Hebrew family each day - were neither engaging nor accurate, so why include them?  The concept of having God appear in the form of a young child was interesting, and I might have been willing to go along with it - but His instructions to Moses and their whole relationship was just badly done.  THE TEN COMMANDMENTS and PRINCE OF EGYPT both told the story MUCH better, and remained true to the Biblical narrative in all the important areas. 3/5

WOLF COP  I've been licking my chops for this one ever since I saw the first trailer.  Lou Garou is an alcoholic cop in a small town who answers a disturbance call in the woods and finds himself the next morning with a pentagram carved on his chest and a suddenly enhanced senses.  Great  gore effects, no CGI, and cool transformation sequences make this one a horror comedy hit along the tradition of AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON.  The chick who owns the bar is smokin' hot, too!  I laughed, I cried, I howled at the moon!  5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #8606 on: March 19, 2015, 10:31:15 AM »

"Too Tough to Die: A Tribute to Johnny Ramone" (2006)
Too Tough To Die - A Tribute To Johnny Ramone (2006) Small | Large

Shortly before his death in 2004, Johnny Ramone organized an all star "tribute" concert in L.A. to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Ramones' formation. Sadly, he was too ill to attend the show when it all came together, but this doc captures what must've been one hell of a night as rock royalty like Joan Jett, Henry Rollins, Eddie Vedder, the Chili Peppers and many more pay tribute to Johnny and the Ramones by tearing through their greatest hits.
Johnny passed away two days after the concert, so scenes from his memorial service at Hollywood Forever Cemetary - attended by many of the performers - cap off the proceedings.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #8607 on: March 20, 2015, 07:27:17 AM »

"Green Lantern: First Flight" (2009)
Green Lantern: First Flight (Trailer)

An animated re-telling of G.L.'s origin story; test pilot Hal Jordan is drafted into the outer-space police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, and in his first adventure he tangles with the rogue Lantern Sinestro. As usual for these DC Animated Universe films, the voice cast is great (Christopher Meloni, Kurtwood Smith, Tricia Helfer) and the violence is not always suitable for kiddies. Cool stuff.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8608 on: March 20, 2015, 09:14:42 AM »

VAMPIRE'S KISS (1988): An abusive literary agent goes insane, believing that he is turning into a vampire. This is one of the best/worst/strangest performances from a spastic Nicolas Cage---that's right, it's one of NIC CAGE's strangest performances, which by itself makes this very odd black comedy a must-see. 4/5

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8609 on: March 20, 2015, 10:04:14 PM »

This was Enrichment Week at my school, where the High School students take a week off of regular classes and get to enroll in a specialty class of their choosing, each one taught by a faculty member in an area of expertise or interest that they choose.  I did an "Archeology 101" class, but the weather royally hosed us.  It was simply too wet to dig anywhere, so I was planned to take them to the local riverbed where we find artifacts and fossils on the gravel bars - but more rains came along and flooded it after Tuesday.  So Wednesday we went to a museum, and Thursday we drove the length of the river trying to find some gravel bars that were above water.  By today the kids were tired of tramping in mud, and it was raining yet again, so we decided to cap off Archeology Week by watching the classic film RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.  Several of the students had never seen it, and we all enjoyed it immensely.  The unforgettable music, perfect casting, and the mysterious object of the quest combine to make one of the most perfect action adventure films of all time! 5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.