Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:25:36 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2094147 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8685 on: April 13, 2015, 08:41:56 AM »

BEYOND THE BLACK RAINBOW (2010): Re-watch. At the "Arboria Institute" in 1983, a doctor holds a telepathic woman hostage, performing unexplained experiments involving a glowing pyramid. The plot is underdeveloped---what's there is delivered at a glacial pace with details that are deliberately vague and confusing---but the Kubrick-inspired experimental visuals and 1980s mind-trip atmosphere make it worth a look for patient cult film fans. 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8686 on: April 13, 2015, 09:14:59 AM »

Honeymoon 2014

Paul and Bea are a newlywed couple who go on a honeymoon to Bea's old family holiday home in the woods. Strange events occur and the couple starts to unravel.

Well made film which is light on the scares and suspense and some parts are a bit hokey but the two lead actors, Harry Treadaway [Penny Dreadful] and Rose Leslie [Game of thrones] both give terrific performances as the very much in love couple which, in a cast of four, goes an awfully long way. Could have done with more scares rather than suspense but overall i'm giving it a solid 7.5/10.
Honeymoon TRAILER 1 (2014) - Harry Treadaway, Rose Leslie Horror Movie HD

Incidentally bought tickets to a screening of this to celebrate it's release on DVD/Bluray and ended up getting a copy of Honeymoon, Eat and an old Anthony Perkins film on dvd for free with my two tickets and to top it off as a door prize I won two free tickets to see 'It follows' tomorrow night. So overall for the price of two tickets to a movie I think I've done pretty well...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8687 on: April 13, 2015, 01:36:27 PM »

what was the one someone saw that was like The ghosts of the Donner party coming out of a volcano or did I imagine that
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #8688 on: April 13, 2015, 04:39:47 PM »

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014): After a worldwide Simian Flu crisis throws the world into chaos, evolved ape survivors lead by Caesar (Andy Serkis) and human survivors begin to encroach upon one another's territory, creating the potential for war.

This was pretty solid. It features lots of great action and some terrific drama. It also remains relatively true to its source material. Where this falters is in what it doesn't show, especially how this situation evolved and some plot elements that seem to stretch credibility a bit too far at times. Honestly too I think the film fails to get across just how frightening the situation would prove to be for those humans who first stumble upon these apes. But it's still quite good. I love the political intrigue of the Ape society and how Koba (Toby Kebbell) uses Caesar's own philosophy against him, moments here dare to say hint of Shakespearean tragedy. It was a nice touch to show apes who were good and who were evil and see it not limited to just the gorillas being evil as often was the case in the old film and TV series. **** out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8689 on: April 13, 2015, 05:34:23 PM »

what was the one someone saw that was like The ghosts of the Donner party coming out of a volcano or did I imagine that

That was me.  It was called THE BURNING DEAD.  Cheesy fun!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8690 on: April 14, 2015, 03:27:29 AM »

Mulholland Drive (2001): I'm sorry to say I gave up after 30 minutes.  Question

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8691 on: April 14, 2015, 05:34:58 AM »

Scarecrow (2002) - some high school kid has a really sucky life - all the football players pick on him and his mom is a drunken whore. Eventually his mom's boyfriend kills him and his spirit goes into a scarecrow - a ninja scarecrow - and he takes revenge on all those who wronged him. This wasn't too bad I guess, at least Tiffany Shepis is in it, though she's got a butch haircut and for the first time in any movie I've seen her in, she doesn't get topless. Overall it was just silly fun. 2.5/5.

Scarecrow Slayer (2004) - a college guy gets killed and his spirit goes into a scarecrow. He follows his girlfriend (well I guess ex-girlfriend) around and kills pretty much everyone she meets. I liked this, it had some laugh-out-loud cheap special effects and the main girl, Nicole Kingston, was quite cute. She had a sexy little tight T-shirt on but then some guy gave her a big coat to put over it. I mean, seriously?!?! Oh well, stupid fun all around. 3/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8692 on: April 14, 2015, 11:12:16 AM »

indiana - Id like to see a mainstream adaption. Meryl Streep as the lead Donner party spirit
claws
« Reply #8693 on: April 14, 2015, 02:26:13 PM »

Poltergeist III (1988)

Lack of love causes evil spirits to emerge: forced to stay with her Aunt and her family in a high rise building in Chicago, little Carol Anne is not well liked by anybody. Even the Psychiatrist at her school for gifted children thinks she's a manipulative brat. Undead preacher Kane appears yet again and pulls Carol Anne on the "other side" ... again. It's up to Medium Tangina, equipped with a magical amulet and psychic powers, to save the day. Or can she?
Cash-in sequel with troubled production shelved for a year because of re-shooting. While Poltergeist II was still able to capture half of what made the first one enjoyable, part III seems to get it all wrong. Unsympathetic characters, silly teens in love subplot and a stand-in actress for Heather O'Rourke who sadly passed away before finishing the movie. On the other hand you'll get pretty cool shot on location special effects with an interesting high rise building setting. Still, the film remains flat and lifeless 2.5/5
On a sidenote, I'm always surprised at how much people seem to prefer part III over part II whenever I read Poltergeist threads at message boards. Yet when looking up reviews and ratings it is always part III that gets shafted.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8694 on: April 15, 2015, 12:29:56 AM »

Margaret (2011) - I loved this. It's a brutal portrayal of life in the super low interest rate bubble-nomic wonder land known as present day NYC. Anna paquin is perfectly cast as a spoiled annoying rich kid who witnesses/ kind of causes a bus accident and works to try to make things right with the women's family and the law and so forth. Along the way she starts acting out, neglecting her schoolwork, and fighting with her Mom. (Okay, it's not exactly James Bond or Indiana Jones in terms of exciting concepts but it's more of a slice of life sort of story.) Her absentee father on the other side of the country phones in some quasi support but in general it's all very "American Beauty". A nice touch is the absurd school she attends, which is basically a glorified day care center where the teachers are more like servants.

One review I read said that the all characters were unlikeable and that's pretty true. They're type A sort of people who's time is expensive and who are too self involved to do anything as their family falls apart. Little bits of heart and humanity come out here and there, but in general everyone is working on their own projects and too busy eating out and attending the opera to put much effort into unprofitable ventures like a family. The bus accident puts even more of a strain on this.

As you can tell it's rather downbeat. It's also 2 and a half hours long and some of the directing is a little dry. There are a few too many scenes too. The world doesn't need another squalid virginity loss scene with condom issues, etc.

If you can hang with stuff like "Blue is the Warmest Color" and "Closer" give it a shot. It's not as seemless as those, but it's of similar quality.  I found it cathartic.

4.5/5

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 04:59:52 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8695 on: April 15, 2015, 06:04:06 AM »

Room 33 (2009) - a girl's roller derby team is travelling in a van, but it's almost out of gas so they do what any normal people would do - take shelter in the nearest abandoned insane asylum. There's a young psycho girl there and some other mysterious dude shows up occasionally and kills somebody. The girls were cute but this was just so boring; characters were either unlikable or undeveloped, leaving me with absolutely no reason to care what happened. Lots of stretches where nothing happens other than one of the girls talking to psycho kid, which was dull as dirt. I guess the monotonous parts were supposed to be atmospheric, but it just didn't work for me at all. 2/5.

- Paulo Coelho
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8696 on: April 17, 2015, 06:51:26 AM »

Last night I watched FROM THE DARK, an Irish horror film about a traveling couple who get stranded near a remote peat farm where the owner has just dug up a bronze age vampire.  Kind of cool and atmospheric; not great but much better than the last couple of vampire films I have watched.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8697 on: April 17, 2015, 07:15:07 AM »

Dracula II: Ascension (2003) - a coroner finds the body of the vampire who was burned to death by sunlight at the end of the last movie. She and her medical colleagues take it to an abandoned building to experiment on it and see if they can find the secret to immortality. Bringing it back to life was probably a bad idea though lol. Meanwhile Jason Scott Lee struts around acting all cool and stuff. This was decent enough I guess, the plot was a little bit interesting and the characters were passable. Would have been better as a serious horror movie without Lee and all his cheesy vampire killing scenes though. 3/5.

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8698 on: April 17, 2015, 06:23:50 PM »

Men Must Fight (1934) - TCM described this as an anti war film so I taped it. In fact, it's a pro war film that uses a couple of pacifist characters as straw men. It's also just not that good. WW2 was almost a decade away, WW1 was ancient history they couldn't lay off the propaganda for 5 seconds geez  2.5 /5
claws
« Reply #8699 on: April 18, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »

Devil's Due (2014)

I went in with really low expectations and was surprised it didn't suck that hard. Not perfect by any means but it doesn't deserve all the hating either. Sure, there are a few unintentional funny moments and the ending could have "delivered" much more, but this is far from one of the worst. My rating: 3/5
Pages: 1 ... 578 579 [580] 581 582 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.