Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:43:43 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2100336 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8835 on: May 29, 2015, 10:43:42 PM »

I took in a B-Movie Double Feature tonight:

GUN WOMAN (2014) -  A Japanese doctor seeks revenge against the wealthy psychopath that raped and murdered his wife, then left him crippled and partially blinded.  He rescues a girl who had attempted suicide and trains her to become the perfect killing machine.  But the psycho is very well guarded, the only time he doesn't have his goons with him is when he goes to a bunker in the desert to engage in necrophile sex with beautifully preserved female corpses at an exclusive brothel for rich corpse diddlers.  So the doctor hides a handgun inside the girls body, gives her a dose of drugs to induce a deathlike state, and sends her into this heavily fortified establishment as the evening's main attraction.  She has to rip out her stitches, assemble the gun, and kill everyone there before she bleeds to death . . .
OK, it's not HELLDRIVER, but this is one truly bizarre premise.  The assassin carries of her entire massacre clad in nothing but blood and a pair of gloves, too.  4/5 for being so bizarre.

AFTERMATH (2015) - An unwatchably bad post-zombie apocalypse film with no redeeming features whatsoever.  No cool gore, no decent zombie effects, no acting whatsoever, no nudity, no plot.  AVOID!!! 1/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8836 on: May 31, 2015, 03:08:28 PM »

Kill Baby Kill- This has no reason to be called Kill baby Kill does it? It makes it sound like a Russ meyer movie when in reality it's a really humdrum Italian horror movie from before they got wild and gory. The selling point I guess is that it has a lot of colors. I need a little more than that to get my through the night sorry. The women are okay looking, relative to Italian movies definitely nothing special.

A guy goes to a town and everyone is going nuts. People are throwing themselves off of cliffs and impaling themselves and so forth. it turns out the town is majorly haunted. it all stems from some incident where a little girl got run over. They've really been on a downward spiral since then and everything is steeped in superstition and for good reason there are ghosts.

None of it is explained all that well and it's pretty cheap and done on sets. It was okay but has glowing review at IMDB and elswhere

2/5
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 03:19:27 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #8837 on: May 31, 2015, 04:23:46 PM »

The title is relative to the ghost girl. I really loved that one lester, a classic effort from Mario Bava. Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it.

To Kill a Mockingbird (1962): Told from the point of view of his children Scout (Mary Badham) and Jem (Philip Alford), our story focuses primarily on their father Atticus (Gregory Peck), who's a small town lawyer in the Depression-era South, who recently takes on  a most challenging case - defending a black man named Tom Robinson (Brock Peters) who's been falsely accused of rape.

This film based on the novel of the same name does a wonderful job of establishing the vibe of small-town life in the 1930s South. The characters feel real and fleshed out. The performance of Peck is fantastic as he tries to shield his kids from prejudice but realizes he can't hide the harsh reality of the world from his kids forever. The trial sequences are well-performed and steadily unravel the mystery to provide the answers we as viewers want to know. A terrific film, a true classic. ****1/2 out of ***** stars

Fury (1936): While en route to meet up with his fiancee Katherine (Sylvia Sidney), Joe Wilson (Spencer Tracy) finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time and because he's in possession of a ransomed $5 bill, he ends up being wrongly accused of being a part of a kidnapping ring that abducted a little girl. However local people quickly whipped up into a frenzy from spreading, growing, expanding gossip eventually form a lynch mob and storm the prison catching it on fire and presumably leaving Joe dead. However, shortly thereafter the real culprits in the kidnapping emerge and it is revealed Joe is an innocent man. Unbeknownst to others, Joe is still alive and plots revenge on the lynch mob hoping to see them sent to the gallows for his "murder".

Great little film from Fritz Lang, I believe this was his Hollywood debut. I love the intensity of some of the shots of the mob out of control and the close-ups of Katherine and Joe, and then to the wild and frenzied mob, really add to its impact. Tracy's character does take a sudden unexpected turn in character following these events and sometimes this element seems a bit of a stretch although in many ways, one can hardly blame his character. Good stuff with the trial and for its time this was a message movie showing the wrongness of not only mob rule and lynch mobs but also how anger and bitterness and a desire for revenge can eat away at a person and makes them act in ways they shouldn't. It also shows how easy it is for a person to get mistakenly accused of something that person didn't do. **** out of ***** stars.

Intruder in the Dust (1949): Young Chick Mallison (Claude Jarman Jr.) with the help of his Uncle, a lawyer named John Gavin Stevens (David Brian) decide to help Lucas Beauchamp (Juano Hernandez), a black man falsely accused of shooting a white man in the back in 1940s Mississippi. Chick quickly learns that Lucas wasn't responsible (he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time) but knows his Uncle will be harder to convince without proof so with the unlikely help of an elderly lady named Miss Eunice Habersham (Elizabeth Patterson) and his friend Aleck (Elzie Emanuel), the son of his family's black maid, he seeks out said proof. However a lynch mob are rumored to be heading towards the jail anytime so time may be running out for Lucas if Chick and his friends can't prove his innocence soon.

Good performances from a largely no name cast and a solid murder mystery make this one intriguing. It also does a good job of putting to screen some of William Faulkner's popular characters. The only real flaw is that the mob seems a bit tame and slow to get started for a "mob". Of course a little old white lady does stand in front of them. Sure you get the sense they could go off any minute but one never feels as a viewer the situation is as perilous as it ought to be. An enjoyable film that has a sense of adventure that would probably appeal to younger people and those young at heart. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8838 on: June 01, 2015, 06:27:12 AM »

Banshee Chapter (2013) - so this hot babe used to know some guy back in college, but he's disappeared and she sets out to investigate what happened to him. Turns out he took some of that LSD that the gov't was experimenting with back in the '60s, but it wasn't actually LSD - it was something evil! She meets up with a guy who seems based on Hunter S. Thompson and together they try to get to the bottom of it all.

This was a really effective horror movie, with oodles of tension throughout. Oh sure it was mostly just jump scares but knowing that a jump scare was coming up and having to wait a few minutes for it really worked Smile Excellent atmosphere throughout. 4.5/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8839 on: June 01, 2015, 08:23:35 AM »

Haunter [2013]

Strangely lifeless film about a girl and her dead family who keep repeating the same day over and over. The soft twist here is that someone from the living is trying to contact her. Oh and there's a malevolent person who is the cause of all of this and is a serial killer.

I usually expect more from Vincenzo Natali [director of Splice and Cube] but this one had a nice premise, but a pretty boring execution. Maybe it's a bit harsh: the groundhog day type aesthetic REALLY gave me that boring feeling of having to repeat the same day over and over again quite well so he achieved that one!

The scares, when they come, are decently enough crafted but the tension on this one was very much lacking as we spend way too much time on Lisa and her general day to day routine with soft scares and drones that are meant to build suspense but just didn't really do anything for me.

2/5. Well shot and has some good actors but ultimately a bit of a fizzer for me.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8840 on: June 01, 2015, 11:29:12 AM »

Different strokes I guess.  I really liked that one.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
claws
« Reply #8841 on: June 01, 2015, 12:58:55 PM »

I checked out Haunter because of the higher than average IMDb rating. Gotta admit I was a bit underwhelmed on my first viewing. Enjoyed it more on my second.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 01:01:38 PM by claws » Logged
dean

« Reply #8842 on: June 01, 2015, 07:55:12 PM »

Oh don't get me wrong, it's not horrible and is well done in places plus the concept is actually pretty intriguing, but have been watching alot of horror lately and was left underwhelmed expecting more. Some of the lower budgeted, worse acting films I've seen recently actually built up tension much better than this one. Its still worth a look but maybe I need to watch a comedy or something to recalibrate as I have a sense that I'm becoming a bit desensitized.  Wink

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8843 on: June 01, 2015, 11:10:44 PM »

Isle of The Damned - I read a glowing review of this in the normally reliable, more or less, Shock Cinema magazine but turned it off after 5 minutes. It's a parody of Cannibal Holocaust and similar Italian cannibal movies but the comedy is too broad for my taste. The guys wear dumb, obviously fake wigs and they make fun of Italian dubbing by having the actors dub in dialogue clearly at odds with what they are saying in the actual film. It not funny and it doesn't feel like a real movie at all or fun in any way.

Small | Large
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 11:23:51 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8844 on: June 02, 2015, 07:26:53 AM »

^ Egads that looks terrible  BounceGiggle

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8845 on: June 02, 2015, 07:37:47 AM »

^ Egads that looks terrible  BounceGiggle

According to the poster, the film was banned in 492 countries! Buggedout Wink Wink

I wonder if that includes South Africa?  Smile
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 07:40:03 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
dean

« Reply #8846 on: June 02, 2015, 08:17:11 AM »

According to the poster, the film was banned in 492 countries! Buggedout Wink Wink

I wonder if that includes South Africa?  Smile

How is that possible? I didn't think there was even 200 countries...

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8847 on: June 02, 2015, 09:05:34 AM »

its essentially a parody of Cannibal Holocaust which was banned in how ever many countries. That trailer is actually better than the parts I watched. it was just too overtly campy. Maybe I'll try again idk
ChaosTheory

« Reply #8848 on: June 02, 2015, 02:43:10 PM »

How is that possible? I didn't think there was even 200 countries...

That's one of the "jokes", probably. This is why self-aware horror comedy is my least favorite genre of anything.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8849 on: June 02, 2015, 10:05:33 PM »

Teenape Goes to Camp - Well, out of the frying pan into the fire. I sent back Isle of the Damned and this one snuck down my queue right after it. I was forlorn as I watched the trailer, I hadn't realized what I'd rented. I'll watch pretty much anything but I draw the line at home made productions featuring someone in a mullet wig. At least in this case it was a women wearing it but still.

The good: There were one or two almost funny or interesting things, it had a thimble full of charm, and the women were passably attractive. It's way better than Marina Monster and there were no technical problems that I noticed. It's only an hour long.

The bad: the main character is a white guy in an ape mask talking like an 80's rapper or something. Somehow he talked what appears to be girls he knows into reading sexist profanity strewn lines that, to paraphrase Neil Hamburger, can't be offensive because they're not even funny. It's hard to hear him when he speaks because of the mask and it's hard to hear understand many of the lines in the movie because the writing is so bad and the delivery is off.

At the same time, the director keeps it moving well enough and it's colorful in a Troll2 ish way, though it would probably be a lot more entertaining if I knew the people which I'm glad I don't.

There are a lot of interesting directors out there today making groundbreaking and unique movies. This is definitely not one of them.

2/5
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 11:55:59 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.