Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:48:18 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2100339 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2007, 11:09:13 PM »

I just watched Day of the Animals and I'm suprised how enjoyable it was.  Now that I've seen a couple of Girdler films I want to see the rest!

Try ABBY-I'ts a blaxpliotation version of the EXORCIST...great stuff! And for pure BAD movie fun...ASYLUM of SATAN! Whatta godawful mess! Bad acting,silly fx, uncomprehensible plot....a great crappy flick!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2007, 10:16:43 PM »

Dr.Strangelove: or How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb  **** out of ****
Pure genius. Never gets old. Kubrick's best film and  my #2 favorite film of all time.

Ultraviolet  **1/2 out of ****
Fun almost nonstop action sequences, a super hot Milla Jovovich and an almost at times incomprehensible story add up to an enjoyable time waster that wasn't as bad as a lot of people have made it out to be.

The Matador  ***1/2 out of ****.
Pierce Brosnan's best performance to date and the rest of the cast is equally terrific,  especially Greg Kinnear.  Lots of fun and worthy of repeat viewings.

D.O.A.: Dead or Alive  **1/2 out of ****.
Hot chicks kung fu fighting in bikinis or next to nothing, a slumming Eric Roberts hamming it up and some fun action sequences help overcome a pretty bad story. So silly that you can't help but crack a smile while watching it. Actually one of the better video game  film adaptations that I've seen, though that's really not saying much. Like Ultraviolet, a fun time waster.  The film is like Charlie's Angels, Mortal Kombat and Enter the Dragon all thrown into a PG-13 blender.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 10:22:52 PM by Torgo » Logged

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Torgo

« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2007, 10:15:49 PM »

Eyes Wide Shut  ***1/2 out of ****.
While this film really polarized Kubrick's fan base, I found it to be sort of a return to form for him.  Tom Cruise actually turns in a great performance and Nicole Kidman is amazing as usual (in terms of acting and her gorgeous looks).  I got this in the recent box set and it's so nice to finally get to see the uncensored orgy scene.  The only thing that I think ruffled the MPAA's feathers was how much thrusting was going on in that scene.  But I've seen far worse in some other hard R rated movies.  But anyway, the movie's very deliberate pacing turned off many people, some claiming that what wound up in theaters was just a rough cut as Kubrick was known to work editing on his films right up to release and sometimes after their premiers (2001 and The Shining in particular). 

Who knows if he might have tightened up the movie more but we'll never know with his death on March 7, 1999.   The movie was released on July 16. 1999. Many state that this was presented to Warner Bros. as his final cut and Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman have both gone on record that it was as well.  A lot of people claimed that the movie was really cold emotionally but I really think that this movie shows Kubrick at his most playful since Dr. Strangelove.   The ending is a bit too abrupt for me which is why I can't quite give it a perfect 4 stars,  but I think that this was a great ending to an amazing directorial career that will probably never be equaled. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:19:35 PM by Torgo » Logged

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2007, 06:53:17 PM »

Hellbound: Hellraiser 2- Well, I liked it.  Decent sequel, compared to later films in the series.

The Punisher- I'd say it's pretty decent.  Then again, I'm not too familiar with the comic series.  I've known who he is from appearances in other books.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2007, 06:56:01 PM »

The Punisher- I'd say it's pretty decent.  Then again, I'm not too familiar with the comic series.  I've known who he is from appearances in other books.

Are you talking about the new Jane/Travolta movie or the Dolph version?

I sorta liked the Jane version.  I thought it could be better.  They are making a sequel...I'll probably check it out when it comes out.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2007, 09:50:17 PM »

Rituals (1977)

Hal Holbrook and Lawrence Dane raise this cheaply made Canadian thriller a slight notch in quality as two men battling to survive after their group, a bunch of doctors on a fishing trip, becomes the target of someone with dastardly and evil intentions. The interplay between Holbrook and Dane as they struggle to cling on to hope and their sanity in the face of something they never expected is surpisingly good. Unfortunately the rest of this film is not, being largely a combination of the psycho killer stalking through the woods combined with elements of Deliverance.  It's too bad it lighting is horrible as many scenes are dark, the sound tends to suffer greatly too and the direction is often a bit misguided. Still if one has the patience to stick with this one, it's not too bad of its type. The other thing that most stood for me is there's lots of cussing in this one.  ** out of *****
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 09:53:16 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pilgermann

« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2007, 11:27:55 PM »

I just watched Day of the Animals and I'm suprised how enjoyable it was.  Now that I've seen a couple of Girdler films I want to see the rest!

Try ABBY-I'ts a blaxpliotation version of the EXORCIST...great stuff! And for pure BAD movie fun...ASYLUM of SATAN! Whatta godawful mess! Bad acting,silly fx, uncomprehensible plot....a great crappy flick!

I've noticed that there are a few Abby DVDs out, now, but I suspect they're not exactly official.  I'll probably pick it up sometime.  Same with Asylum of Satan.  I've seen bits from both and they look pretty crazy!

I just finished watching Whoever Slew Auntie Roo?.  This isn't a spoiler since it's the very first scene, but it would've been much better if the bit where Shelley Winters is singing a lullaby to the corpse of her daughter had come later in the film, but instead the audience is shown that she's a bit nuts at the beginning of the movie!  Plus Winters gave a silly performance, otherwise I liked it.

Along the same lines (Curtis Harrington directed this and the Auntie Roo flick, plus Shelley Winters plays a wacko in both), I watched What's the Matter with Helen? yesterday, but it was disappointing.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2007, 08:38:31 AM »

Are you talking about the new Jane/Travolta movie or the Dolph version?

I sorta liked the Jane version.  I thought it could be better.  They are making a sequel...I'll probably check it out when it comes out.
I saw the Travolta/Jane version recently.  I wasn't too familiar with the comic series, so overall I liked it.  Whereas, the Spider-Man and X-Men films, I was a fan of the comics and could sit there and nitpick, etc.

I saw the old Captain America flick from 1990.  Good stuff, that was. Lookingup

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2007, 11:11:14 AM »

Camille (1936)

Stars Greta Garbo and Robert Taylor as a pair of star-crossed lovers who have to try and overcome a major test given Taylor's lack of wealth and Garbo's many debts owed to a rich Baron played by Henry Daniell in order for their love to survive. This is a very moving story that really gets the veiwers emotionally because we are made to care so much about its leads even if the story is a little bit dated thematically. Keep the tissues handy for this one if you have a soft heart. ***** out of *****

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2007, 11:58:10 AM »

D2: The Mighty Ducks-- Thumbup.  Good Times.  Any movie with Wayne Gretzky and Kareem Abdul Jabar is a decent flick.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #115 on: October 28, 2007, 03:51:12 PM »

The African Queen (1951)

Highly entertaining romance adventure set on an African river during World War I. Leads Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn are superb and have sizzling romantic chemistry on screen together. The high adventure aspect of the story is sometimes really hard to accept but if one allows oneself, this is high escapism at its cinematic best as Bogart and Hepburn set out to use the steamship the African Queen to fight German forces taking over Africa. **** 1/2 out of *****

Torgo

« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2007, 07:30:46 PM »

Friday the 13th  **1/2 out of ****

Friday the 13th: Part 2  *1/2 out of ****

Friday the 13th: Part 3   ** out of ****

Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter   **1/2 out of ****

Friday the 13th: Part 6 Jason Lives  *** out of ****

Friday the 13th: Part 7 The New Blood  *1/2 out of ****

Friday the 13th: Part 8 Jason Takes Manhattan  * out of ****

Jason Goes to Hell  **1/2 out of ****

Jason X   *1/2 out of ****

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2007, 11:35:59 PM »

Cool and the Crazy (1994)

A TV movie directed by Ralph Bakshi of all people. Surprisingly this one is live action and not animated. Anyways Bakshi's direction as usual is all over the place and the story never seems to find a good clear direction. Set in 1950s America, it does have some interesting things to say about the American Family Ideal. Alicia Silverstone stands out a young woman who suddenly finds herself slave and servant in a much too early marriage and struggles and tries to come to grips with what she needs in order to be happy as do really all the characters in this story. This does have its moments but ultimately if falls short of really convincing an audience of which answer is right I guess leaving things up to the viewer to decide. This conclusion proves somewhat unsatisfactory in this case. ** 1/2 out of *****

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2007, 07:26:42 AM »

Blood Relic - about some kids who are finishing up work on an aerospace museum before it opens.  But 20 years earlier a pilot had an evil little figurine and he killed everyone in the base, then tossed the figurine in an electrical box in the building.  Now the kids have found the figurine, and the pilot has just been released from the insane asylum.  This wasn't too bad, drinking a few beers helped to disguise the nearly zero budget aspect of it.  Acting was passable, the action moved along okay, atmosphere was descent, and there was T&A o'plenty.

Friday the 13th part 7.  Finally saw this one!  It was fairly okay.  The editing was sort of an amateurish mess, and they spent far too much time on the girl, her mom and her therapist.  Not nearly enough time with the kids partying next door.  The kills got rather humorous.  Jason kills someone with a machete, the next guy with a tree trimmer, the next one with a weed eater (you read that right - a weed eater), the next person with an axe.  There must be some very P.O.'d gardener somewhere wondering who the hell stole all his stuff   TeddyR 

It left me wondering - why does AMC display that stupid "TV14 - LSV" box in the corner when all the language, all the sex and a fair bit of the violence have been edited out?

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Torgo

« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2007, 10:39:17 PM »

Day Watch  ***1/2 out of ****.

I liked the Russian fantasy/action/horror film Nightwatch and was looking forward to the sequel in a planned trilogy of films. From what I've read, the filmmaker actually combined the planned 2nd and 3rd films into just one film, Day Watch.  The movie runs 2 1/2 hours long and features stunning visuals, crazy action sequences, fun performances and hyper kinetic directorial style.  If you didn't like Nightwatch , I still recommend catching Day Watch as it really builds on the promises shown in Nightwatch that some people feel like they didn't accomplish.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.