Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:46:28 AM
714147 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2107708 times)
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #315 on: January 24, 2008, 10:41:55 PM »

John Malkovich plays the evil king effortlessly.  He doesn't even have to try hard and you just want to punch him.  But such is his talent I guess.

For all you Kubrick fans out there check out Colour Me Kubrick starring John Malkovich.  It's directed by one Kubrick's close friends and cinematographers.  It's a great homage to the master (lots of similar shots and music from all Kubrick's classics) and is based on a true story about a guy who pretended to be Stanley Kubrick to con a bunch of people even though he looked and acted nothing like him.

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #316 on: January 25, 2008, 09:44:12 AM »

The Muppets Take Manhattan- ***/****.  Kermit, Miss Piggy, Fozzie and the gang are just out of college and have a show they'd love to sell on Broadway.  They head to New York with limited money and attempt to sell it, but meet shady agents and get rejected by every producer, so the gang splits up and get real jobs to earn money.  Great movie, and directed by Frank Oz.  I loved the Gregory Hines cameo and the live action "Muppet Babies" sequence that, apparently, worked as a 'pilot' to see if Muppets as babies would work. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #317 on: January 25, 2008, 01:04:52 PM »

The Inspector General (1949): An illiterate buffoon named Georgi (Danny Kaye), part of a traveling Gypsy medicine sideshow in Eastern Europe somehow winds up mistaken for the all-powerful, visiting Inspector General whose assignment from Emperor Napoleon is to root out all evil and corruption in every town he visits. Of course, the town's officials, thoroughly corrupt to the core, are terrified by his presence and do everything they can to impress him and throw him off their trail. Georgi meanwhile is thoroughly confused but not above accepting the good hospitality especially given how hungry and down on his luck he's been. Of course, being an Inspector General also means you're a target and much danger looms for Georgi.

No mistaking this is the Danny Kaye show all the way. The rest of the cast including Elsa Lancaster, Gene Lockhart, Alan Hale and Walter Slezak are all good no doubt but it's Kaye's singing, dancing and comedy routines that prove this film's main focus. How much you enjoy it probably depends on how much you enjoy Kaye's brand of humor. I have to admit at times it goes on much too long, almost to the point of annoyance, but there's a kind of innocence about Kaye's Georgi character here that one is able to ultimately forgive this more often than not. Favorite bits: The "Be Arrogant, Be Elegant, Be Smart" section and the Gyspy drinking song. *** out of ***** stars.

The Paleface (1922): After having their land unscrupulously stolen from them by greedy oil sharks, a tribe of Native American Indians vows to kill the next white man who comes into their presence. Said white man turns out to be an unknowing Buster Keaton seeking butterflies for his collection.

This movie is basically a live-action cartoon. It features the type of chase and stunt sequences one more expects from Looney Tunes only here its accomplished in live action via a series of daring stunts and surprisingly well accomplished special effects sequences. These are pulled off much better than I though would be even possible for the time and era.

Overall this short may not be as humorous as many of Keaton's other efforts but it sure doesn't lack in terms of its overall entertainment value due to the above mentioned dangerous stunt sequences that seem more fitting for a cartoon than live action, the best of which involves Buster being thrown over a cliff and creating a makeshift bridge across a gorge. **1/2 out of ***** stars.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 02:21:01 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #318 on: January 27, 2008, 01:41:38 PM »

That Gang of Mine (1940): Streetwise Muggs Maloney (Leo Gorcey) has dreams of becoming a world class jockey and finally gets his chance after befriending a kindly old poor black man named Ben (Clarence Muse) who just happens to possess and take care of a championship thoroughbred race horse.

This movie proves far more dramatic than most East Side Kids films with a fine performance from Clarence Muse as wise old Ben, who acts as a sort of adviser/mentor for Muggs and shows considerable care for him, something which is not lost on Leo Gorcey's Muggs either. The type of friendship displayed here was arguably ahead of its time in many respects. Leo Gorcey too does surprisingly well in this more dramatic role displaying the inner struggle going on in Muggs when he has to try and come to grips with his fear of racing and also his fear of letting everyone down.

While no doubt some may be a bit disappointed the humor more or less takes a back seat to the drama in this one, it actually proves a far more effective drama, and director Joseph H. Lewis does manage to keep an exciting focus on the horse racing too, than I thought was possible from many involved. *** out of ***** stars

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #319 on: January 28, 2008, 12:49:45 PM »

Blood Monkey - a Sci-Fi Channel original.  Some college kids are taken to a remote jungle where they're going to do their internship under a professor, examining flora and fauna and other harmless stuff.  Well, the professor has discovered a new species of primates, giant monkeys with large brains, and he's willing to do anything to capture one and get recognition for the discovery.  Up to and including using the college kids for bait.

I found myself rooting for the evil professor and his Asian henchbabe.  They were the only characters who were even the slightest bit interesting in the movie.  The college kids are straight cliches:  jock dude, nerd boy, quiet guy, pretty girl, homely girl, and "what up?" girl.  I correctly guessed who would be the last to survive about 20 minutes into the movie.  There's some camcorder footage throughout the movie, and they also ripped off the ending to Blair Witch just for good measure.  Overall, I'm somewhat amazed I stayed awake through the whole thing.  The cinematography was the best part, there was some beautiful jungle scenery and it didn't feel as if the whole thing was taking place on a sound stage.  The giant monkeys were bargain basement CGI, but we saw very little of them.  Mostly just red tinted POV shots.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 12:55:08 PM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #320 on: January 28, 2008, 04:12:19 PM »

Rambo  (2007)   ***1/2 out of ****
The Terminator   **** out of ****
Terminator 2: Judgement Day (theatrical cut) ***1/2 out of ****
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines   *** out of ****

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #321 on: January 28, 2008, 06:17:50 PM »

SLEEPER (1973): Health-food store owner Miles Monroe (director Woody Allen) is accidentally frozen for 200 years and wakes up in a weird future dystopia where Diane Keaton is not considered too annoying to be a female lead. It's a lot of fun as a collection of one liners ("I haven't had sex for 200 years... 204 if you count my marriage") and slapstick bits that recall the great silent comedians, though the plot is little more than a framework to hang "bits" off of.  LESSON LEARNED: 166 years in the future, cars will look like those plastic eggs they sell pantyhose in.  4 of 5 slimes.

EXCALIBUR (1981): A gory, sexy, beautifully photographed epic retelling of the legend of King Arthur and Merlin (a memorable comic/tragic performance by Nicol Williamson).  An A-movie cast and budget but with the heart of a B-movie, it bulls its bloody way forward, driving the helpless audiences before it.  LESSON LEARNED: In the Dark Ages, sperm were so powerful they could easily penetrate plate mail armor to father an heir. 5 of 5.

THE CREEPING TERROR (MST3K version):  The movie features a Chineese-dragon style alien  monster that may have been made out of discarded mattresses.  It truly does creep, VERY slowly, so slowly in fact that it is totally incapable of arousing terror.  "Didn't anyone in the 50s ever think of running?," Mike wonders, although a brisk trot or simply not climbing directly into the monsters' mouth should be a sufficient escape plan.  The monster attacks on their own are hilarious, and the bots commentary helps through the slow patches, of which there are many.  Host segments, which include the Mads doing laundry and Mike listening to the film's music on a high-end stereo system, are nothing special.  4 of 5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #322 on: January 28, 2008, 06:20:32 PM »

Sorry, Torgo, I have to admit I'm skeptical of that rating without further explanation...

Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #323 on: January 28, 2008, 08:45:01 PM »

Nightwatch (the Russian one)

This was a weird arse movie.  I'm still not sure whether I liked it or not.  The story was a little slow and hard to follow because not much was explained.  When I thought about the plot after it was over, I got it, but it was hard work watching it.  The dubbing kind of put me off as well and the subtitles weren't that great.

The sfx were amazing and much better than I thought the Russians could do.  But I didn't realise the movie biz in Russia even existed.

All I can say is, I'm quite mystified by the whole experience.

Pan's Labyrinth
This was a wonderful movie. Even though it had subtitles, I liked this one better than Nightwatch.  The story was well done and the little girl who played Ofelia did a great job.  The Captain was a prick and played the part well, and the movie ended quite satisfactorily for me.  I felt emotionally fulfilled and it stayed with me for a few days.

It was beautifully shot and the story moved along at a decent pace, so I didn't feel bored or restless.  I wasn't sure if I'd like this movie because it got such a great rap from so many people.  That's usually when I find that I don't like the movie at all.  But I was pleasantly surprised and I thought "del Toro has done it again!"

This one I can highly recommend.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 08:34:46 PM by Killer Bees » Logged

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Torgo

« Reply #324 on: January 30, 2008, 06:03:12 PM »

Sorry, Torgo, I have to admit I'm skeptical of that rating without further explanation...

I was short on time and didn't have a chance to explain.

Anyone wanting a return to the full blooded (and bloody) action flicks of days gone by will love this one. If avoids the pitfalls of the 2nd and espcially 3rd Rambo films and like Rocky Balboa it bookends the series in great fashion.

The story was well done, Stallone's performance was cold faced but nuanced when need be (well, as much as  a Rambo movies calls for), the action scenes were extremely well orchestrated and the last 30 or so minutes of the movie is gory balls to the wall action that I haven't seen like that in quite some time.

Hope that explains a bit!

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #325 on: January 30, 2008, 06:31:06 PM »

I was short on time and didn't have a chance to explain.

Anyone wanting a return to the full blooded (and bloody) action flicks of days gone by will love this one. If avoids the pitfalls of the 2nd and espcially 3rd Rambo films and like Rocky Balboa it bookends the series in great fashion.

The story was well done, Stallone's performance was cold faced but nuanced when need be (well, as much as a Rambo movies calls for), the action scenes were extremely well orchestrated and the last 30 or so minutes of the movie is gory balls to the wall action that I haven't seen like that in quite some time.

Hope that explains a bit!

Didn't mean to challenge you Torgo... your tastes seem to match mine most of the time.  You also do I nice job summing up why you liked a movie in a few sentences, and I missed the commentary.

It seemed to me that if RAMBO was a ***1/2 movie, that would make it the best of the series by far.  Sounds like you thought it was.  I may check it out when it comes out on DVD.  Thanks for elaborating!

Torgo

« Reply #326 on: January 30, 2008, 11:01:17 PM »

Didn't mean to challenge you Torgo... your tastes seem to match mine most of the time.  You also do I nice job summing up why you liked a movie in a few sentences, and I missed the commentary.

It seemed to me that if RAMBO was a ***1/2 movie, that would make it the best of the series by far.  Sounds like you thought it was.  I may check it out when it comes out on DVD.  Thanks for elaborating!

I didn't take it as a challenge, no worries.  Yes, I do think that it's the best of the series.  Whereas I thought that Rocky Balboa was the 2nd best of the Rocky series with the original being the best still.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #327 on: January 31, 2008, 09:31:43 AM »

I didn't take it as a challenge, no worries.  Yes, I do think that it's the best of the series.  Whereas I thought that Rocky Balboa was the 2nd best of the Rocky series with the original being the best still.
What about 4?  That had Drago.  He owns.   Buggedout

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #328 on: January 31, 2008, 09:34:19 AM »

Moontrap - Bruce Campbell and Walter Koenig (Chekov from Star Trek) battle alien robots on the moon.  I love this movie, it's weird, doesn't take itself terribly seriously, and really manages to create an atmosphere of desperation when the nearly helpless earthlings are stranded on the moon. 

Ninja 3:  The Domination - A dead Ninja possesses the sole of a hot babe, and she goes on a killing spree, taking out all the cops who killed the Ninja.  She also dates a cop, and he can't figure out that his girlfriend is killing all his friends.  It's part Ninja movie, part Exorcist, with a bit of Flashdance thrown in on the side.  A seriously silly, enjoyably bad film.

Manticore - a Sci-Fi Original with that guy who played Chakotay on Star Trek Voyager as an Army Sergeant in Iraq.  His squad is sent to investigate the disappearance of a reporter in a remote town, but they run into the Manticore, a giant CGI dog with wings thing.  Not bad for a Sci-Fi Original.  The ending is sure to make anyone chuckle, but it has the requisite amount of bad CGI explosions, people running around scared, and occasional Manticore attacks.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #329 on: January 31, 2008, 07:53:42 PM »

The Devil's Rejects- Great movie.  I loved House of 1,000 Corpses, so I wanted to see this.  Great soundtrack, action, etc.  Rob Zombie is a good director in my opnion.  He's improved, House was okay, this was an improvement.

The Mighty Ducks- **.  Classic movie in my opinon. 

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.