Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:41:19 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2100846 times)
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2280 on: May 03, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »

Date Night - Okay, don't judge me. It actually was a date night with my wife (the last chance at one before our second child is born), and hey, Steve Carell is funny. Anyway, it was okay. Some of the plot devices were contrived and far-fetched, but there were some hilarious moments and it was entertaining.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2281 on: May 03, 2010, 03:33:15 PM »

Triangle (1970)  Thumbup  this is like Animal House for W.A.S.P girls or something. Well, okay it's nothing like Animal House. It's not even a college, it's a boarding school but it is a sort of quasi-realistic fantasy of higher educational life. Instead of wild parties and boobs there is attempting to seduce your poetry professor and playing him off his rival. It's like a slightly trashy romance novel and a pretty good though cheap (original movie and DVD non mastering) one. Tiffany Bolling, who should have done something with her hair, is a wayward self destructive rich girl who along with most of her other extremely cute classmates enjoys teasing her teacher by pulling her skirt up bit by bit while he tries to keep a stone face. There isn't nearly enough of this for male viewers but what's there is of course appreciated.      

The guy looks like a wimpier Burt Reynolds with sideburns instead of a mustache and 20 pounds skinnier. He's all self reflective, mature, and an artist (Oh brother  Lookingup). Again ,as you can tell this is really more of a chick flick. I liked it though. Bollins crazy behaviour (going to a ridiculous happening type party with like 10 people + spencer gifts hippy strobe light thing there, running from cops in her sick red mustang) is entertaining and all in all it's a semi cool neat little diversion in between whatever you are going to explore next, which if you post here is probably some horror or sci fi.

4/5

Before the Rain (1994)-This has gotten some very good even excellent reviews elsewhere but it doesn't get one from me. It's divided into 3 parts, the first is the best, we meet a sort of weird /birdish looking priest who gets in trouble when he lets a runaway sleep in his room for the night. Nice shots of the countryside and good tension with the guys in the church and the appropriately scruffy mob. Part two is where it went south for me. We got to London and meet the uncharismatic male lead, who every woman in the movies is in love with even though he looks about 60 and homeless. We also meet a couple of nice red herrings.

The last part is back to the country and more of this guy, now ambling around like the marlboro man stupidly trying to single handedly bring peace to the millenia long struggle between muslims and christians in war torn bosnia. confusing ending. I was in a bad mood though so who knows.

3/5
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 02:08:09 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #2282 on: May 04, 2010, 01:53:50 AM »

It's Complicated- They should have called this movie "It's Boring."  It's not horrible.  I mean, I did laugh a couple times, but I was not the demographic it was aimed at.  My fiancee wanted to watch it, and I managed to sit through all two hours of it.   Thumbdown
Jim H

« Reply #2283 on: May 04, 2010, 02:38:03 AM »

Saw The Last Sacrifice MST3K.  One of the best episodes of the show, I think.  Some great lines from Mike and the bots.  Movie is stupid, but not dull, with silly but not totally banal characters.  Unfortunately, it also has several broad similarities to my own script for a film I'm working on.  Bad sign?

Still, great episode.  

9/10 for the episode.

Hard Revenge Milly.  43 minute Japanese longish short, revenge action.  Post-apocalyptic, though you can barely tell.  Competently shot with some ok gore shots (as is common, the practical effects are quite good, the CG not as much) and a decent action scene towards the end.  But guess what?  Like virtually all newer Japanese genre works (by that, I mean horror/action/sci-fi/gore, etc) it's horribly paced and has a great many long, pointless meandering shots that could and SHOULD be cut.  This was 43 minutes, and it could easily have been trimmed down to 30 or so and lost NOTHING.  And I mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  There's a sequence where Milly is preparing some sort of building for a coming fight, and it must take 1/3 the total run time.  And all she does is chop up part of a wall, paint ONE WORD in blood, and hide a knife.  

Blah.  I think the old guys, the guys who used to make some great chambara films in the 60s and 70s, must be ashamed of the current crop that has taken up the slack in the industry.  

5/10.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 02:41:32 AM by Jim H » Logged
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #2284 on: May 05, 2010, 02:16:38 AM »

The Human Centipede- After having watched this movie, I can only say that I know what it feels like to be the person in the middle.  I mean, having someone s**t in your mouth is about equivalent to spending the $7 to watch this movie on On Demand.  The setup is the same as you've seen in any creepy-guy-in-the-middle-of-nowhere movie.  Despite being called "controversial," the film really doesn't do anything new, nor is it really that shocking.  I've seen much worse, and will probably see worse in the future.  This movie's biggest flaw: it's boring.  I don't care about any of the characters, and I thought the villain was not only a moron, but completely generic.  All in all, it's worth missing.   Thumbdown
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2285 on: May 05, 2010, 06:36:15 AM »

Star Runners (2009) - two smugglers are arrested by the intergalactic space police, but instead of sending them to jail, they're given the assignment of retrieving a crate from a space station.  They're perfect for the job because the whole thing's very hush-hush and they won't draw any attention.  So things get all screwed up and they end up opening the crate and finding a hot babe inside.  Another group of people are after this babe, and after making their escape everybody ends up on a barren planet populated by killer bugs.  And now the space police are after them because they're a little ticked their crate was never returned to them.  Overall this was a fun B movie.  Connor Trinneer (Trip from Star Trek Enterprise) does a fair enough job in the lead, and half of the other characters are hot babes.  It's got a sense of humor about it, and for a Sci-Fi Channel Original, the special effects weren't half bad.  The action certainly moved along at a good pace.  It's pretty forgettable, but 90 minutes of enjoyable low budget goodness.  4/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #2286 on: May 05, 2010, 10:03:45 AM »

TAXIDERMIA (2006): A surrealist take on three generations of bizarre and perverted Hungarians: a horny army soldier (whose penis spouts fire), a competitive eater, and a taxidermist.  It's technically well done and ranks high on the "I've never seen THAT before" weird grossout scale, but it lacks a point and, just like its final exhibit, a heart.   3/5.

Ahhhh, about time this was released in the U.S. I thought the 'point' was obvious, but Taxidermia also leaves doors open for interpretation. No doubt it succeeds more as a twisted visual "feast" though. A stunning movie in my opinion. I'll rate it 5/5.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 10:23:00 AM by claws » Logged
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2287 on: May 05, 2010, 10:42:16 AM »

Framed (1975)- This is a pretty good southern revenge movie starring the lanky charismatic Joe Don Baker as a nightclub owner who accidentally sees sumpm he shouldn't and gets sent to prison (and robbed of a huge gambling windfall) as a result. The cops are behind it in kahoots with local political figures so it's not gonna be easy, but Ron Lewis (joe don) is pretty p**sed at being sent away for 4 years , robbed of his rightful winnings and having his loyal night club singer wife scared into not raisin' a fuss on his behalf.

The loyal, scared into silence wife (connie Van Dyke) 's music is definately not one of the highlights. It was kind of depressing and dragged a bit at first but it had I think a good combination of formula and creativity. It's clearly made for a drive in audience but there are some details that show they actually thought about the thing. I liked for example when a pigeon pooped on the wifes head while they were having this tender moment. WHy doesn't that happen more in movies? Pigeons poop on people all the time. In the last part the revenge element comes more into focus and the action and violence are ramped up to very good effect.  Here's my blurb quote "If you are in the mood for it, it could be winning"

Small | Large

3.5/ 5
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 07:18:51 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2288 on: May 05, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »

TAXIDERMIA (2006): A surrealist take on three generations of bizarre and perverted Hungarians: a horny army soldier (whose penis spouts fire), a competitive eater, and a taxidermist.  It's technically well done and ranks high on the "I've never seen THAT before" weird grossout scale, but it lacks a point and, just like its final exhibit, a heart.   3/5.

Ahhhh, about time this was released in the U.S. I thought the 'point' was obvious, but Taxidermia also leaves doors open for interpretation. No doubt it succeeds more as a twisted visual "feast" though. A stunning movie in my opinion. I'll rate it 5/5.

What did you see as the obvious point?  It seemed to me the director was working on a couple of different thematic strands, which didn't really come together.  Best I could come up with for a unifying theme is that it was a sort of unfocused allegory on Hungarian history.  Maybe it resonates more to a Hungarian than it did to me. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jim H

« Reply #2289 on: May 05, 2010, 04:19:19 PM »

Inglorious Bastards - the original 70s cult film.  Pretty enjoyable and entertaining.  Good characters.  7/10.

Candyman - early 90s horror film.  Great creepy performance by Tony Todd.  Some very creepy atmosphere and situations.  My only complaint is the ending - I think it should have been slightly tweaked.  Still, quite good.  Great score too.  8/10.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #2290 on: May 06, 2010, 03:16:07 AM »

Kick-Ass- Fun film with plenty of blood and violence.  Not really much for the brain here, but that's just fine.   Thumbup
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2291 on: May 06, 2010, 06:36:31 AM »

Mothman (2010) - A group of friends are partying, but one of them dies and the others cover it up.  Flash forward 10 years, and one of the friends (Jewel Staite, as cute and sweet as ever) is a newspaper reporter in D.C.  She's not exactly at the top of the career ladder, and gets sent back to her hometown to cover the annual Mothman festival.  She reunites with her old friends who were involved with the cover-up, and before long Pumpkinhead Mothman is after them, to take revenge on them for their wrongdoings.  He's one of the more silly looking monsters I've seen recently, like Casper the Friendly Ghost's evil twin or something.  CGI of course.  He comes out of mirrors, or TV screens, or pretty much anything shiny.  Why he does that is never really explained.  As you can probably guess, Jewel meets an old guy who knows all about the Mothman, and the dwindling group of friends come up with a plan to escape with their lives.  This wasn't really too bad.  The predictable plot moved along at a good pace, Jewel is total cutie and carries the movie pretty well, and...that's about it.  3.5/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2292 on: May 06, 2010, 12:09:48 PM »

DILLINGER IS DEAD (1969):  A gas-mask designer finds a gun wrapped in newspapers in his pantry, then spends a long evening puttering about the house---fixing a mean, disassembling and reassembling the gun and watching home movies---then uses the gun in an act of completely unmotivated violence.  Stultifyingly dull for the first half hour, but it slowly grows oddly fascinating as the night continues; a very typical sort of late 1960s experimental movie that fortunately has a great ecclectic 1960s soundtrack to help with the slow parts.  3/5.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2293 on: May 08, 2010, 11:48:57 AM »

Pink Pumpkins at Dawn (1999)- I think I am the only person to have ever seen this movie. There are no reviews for it anywhere and the only other review at netflix is by someone who hated it so much they turned it off after 10 minutes. It's too bad for them but understandable. The mastering and packaging is bad but not as bad as the original film quality which might as well be 8 mm. The writing is really cliched too, which of course makes the acting look bad though it actually isn't. So you've got a basic recipe for a turn off and mail back. It just doesn't seem like it has alot of potential. Somehow, against all odds it ends up being kind of good though. A Clerks type suburban metal head teenager has a bad home life so he takes a bus to the middle of nowhere to shoot stuff (cans, people , himself who knows) with a gun he bought and figure out what to do with his life. He meets a MILF who's husband is a wall street guy. Both are aimless in life and they form a bond. It's FULL of cliches ( "I bet you've got a white picket fence " "what's that supposed to mean!" ) I mean full to the gills really distractingly so but in the end it was compelling. They wanted to make a drama and they did. Lifetime or someone should buy the story and remake it.

3.25/ 5

Pretty Cool-  pretty stupid. I occasionally check out these straight to DVD comedy things and they are almost always a 3. They're like "whoah wait a minute this is getting too funny , lets lame it up for 20 or so minutes here. Don't want to be too good" This is a variation on the Zapped, weird science sort of thing, the kid gets telewhatever powers to get girls to take their clothes off. There is nudity but it's not awesome nudity like in Animal House or Screwballs, it feels completely forced and as if the girls are counting the seconds they have to do it. The main guy has no personality, I don't know why they chose him to star. The sister was sort of funny the rest were non entity's even the cute love interest didn't win me over. Bad movieologist I am I noticed the theme song from "Assault of the Party Nerds" in the background in one scene! Which means the lame'os who were cashing in on revenge of the nerds are still around cashing in on American Pie and so forth which would be a good thing if this was good, but it's not. In general, you watch stuff like this because you know it will be easy to get through if not hilarious and of course to see the hot chicks. When I am considering turning a movie like this off it has really failed. I've seen worse but you could do better.

2.5/5
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 07:03:07 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2294 on: May 08, 2010, 01:10:51 PM »

MST3K: LASERBLAST:  The final Comedy Central episode; I never saw it originally.  The movie is a big pile of discontinuous crap about a laser cannon that straps onto your arm, a couple of Claymation turtle aliens who are looking for it or something, and a shirtless teen who gets turned into the incredible Hulk by the laserblaster.  Much fun is made of the fact that Leonard Maltin (in a fit of dementia) gave it 2.5 stars. I didn't find the riffing to be very memorable, only chucked a few times.  The host segments are the attraction here, as the writers thought this would be the last episode and tried to wrap up the storyline. I didn't find it to be very satisfactory---it just didn't work nearly as well as Joel's farewell in MITCHELL---and I think if this had been the final episode, it would have been a flat way to end a great series.  The segments are parodies of classic sci-fi shows like DR. WHO (I think), 2001 and STAR TREK: VOYAGER.  I was looking forward to this episode and felt sort of let down.  3/5, but this may be one that grows on you.   

Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.