Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:50:03 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2101373 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5355 on: September 02, 2012, 10:24:29 AM »

I lked Idaho Transfer. It was insanely slow but good.

Yeah it's an oddball little thing but I enjoy it.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5356 on: September 02, 2012, 02:35:46 PM »

"Men in Black" (1997)
http://www.youtube.com/v/zv35TyeRb9M

A grizzled veteran (Tommy Lee Jones) of a secret organization that monitors extraterrestrial life on Earth recruits a young NYPD hothead (Will Smith) into the fold, then the pair have to solve an intergalactic mystery to prevent our planet's destruction. A fast, funny, action packed mega-hit that pretty much cemented Smith's status as a bankable movie star and spawned two sequels.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #5357 on: September 03, 2012, 12:29:19 AM »

"Scarface" (1983)
http://www.youtube.com/v/7pQQHnqBa2E

Brian DePalma's glossy, epic length 80s update of the Howard Hawks gangster classic is a twisted take on the American dream, as it follows the rise and fall of Tony Montana (Al Pacino) who goes from Cuban refugee camp to small time thug and finally to Miami cocaine kingpin.

Controversial in its day, some of it hasn't aged very well (like the uber-cheesy synth score by Giorgio Moroder) but the performances are excellent and the violence is still pretty dang brutal even by today's standards.

"SAY HELL-O TO MY LEETLE FRIEND!"

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5358 on: September 03, 2012, 06:35:40 AM »

The Thirsty Dead (1974) - some girls in Manila get kidnapped and taken way out in the jungle, where they find their captors are a cult that worships beauty, and by draining the blood from the girls they've abducted they create an elixir of immortality for themselves. They've also got a head which they keep in a small aquarium and worship for some reason. They offer one of the kidnapped girls the opportunity to join them, but she's not too keen on the idea and they eventually try to escape back to civilization. This was just as cheesy as can be imagined and mildly amusing I guess. It did take me about 3 evenings to finish it though. 3/5.

Did I mention the big collars?

- Paulo Coelho
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #5359 on: September 03, 2012, 07:33:31 PM »

The Paleface (1948): Notorious gunfighter Calamity Jane (played by the voluptuous Jane Russell) is recruited by the government to become an undercover federal agent via offer of a full pardon for her offences. Her job is to discover the identity of the individuals selling weapons to the Indians. After her partner ends up dead, she needs help from someone to throw her enemies off her trail and tricks a clueless dentist named "Painless" Peter Potter (Bob Hope) into becoming her husband with him unwittingly eventually taking credit for Jane's gunfighting abilities.

While this movie proves largely silly and has many over the top slapstick moments, it's also really really funny if one doesn't take things too seriously. The best moments tend to involve Hope's interactions with the Indians the best of which comes after Hope's Potter disguises himself as an Indian medicine man. There's also an exciting chase sequence at the end involving a covered wagon. Hope is silly throughout this one but doesn't crack as many jokes as usual and the comedy is definitely more physical in this one. Russell looks lovely, does a capable job playing the more serious Calamity Jane role but really we don't get to see enough of her "charms" in this one. This would later  be remade as the Don Knotts vehicle The Shakiest Gun in the West.  All in all, I'll give this one ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

Sorrowful Jones (1949): A money obsessed gambling hustler tightwad named Sorrowful Jones (Bob Hope) finds himself suddenly saddled with a little girl named Martha Jane Smith (Mary Jane Saunders) left as a marker for a bet. Naturally Jones' wheeling dealing lifestyle clashes with playing Daddy although he does get some help from an old friend and possible romantic interest Gladys O'Neill (Lucille Ball) who quickly takes a liking to young Martha. Complicating matters even more is the controlling hand of mob boss Big Steve Holloway (Bruce Cabot) in both the lives of Jones and O'Neill.

This remake of the Shirley Temple Little Miss Marker film is surprisingly good. Despite the seemingly questionable morals of some of our lead characters particularly Hope's Sorrowful Jones, they nevertheless prove far more likable than expected and Mary Jane Saunders is adorable and immensely likable in the all important role of Martha Jane Smith. While more a serious story on some levels than an outright comedy, this still delivers some delightful laughs at times and has other moments than are sad, heartbreaking, heartfelt and heartwarming. I really enjoyed this one so I'm giving it **** out of ***** stars.

Father's Little Dividend (1951): Sequel of 1950's Father of the Bride has father Stanley T. Banks (Spencey Tracy) life once again turned upside down with unexpected news - his recently married daughter Kay (Elizabeth Taylor), to the delight of his wife and Kay's mother Ellie (Joan Bennett), is pregnant which means he's to most reluctantly become a grandfather.

While not quite as good as Father of the Bride, this film still has some great moments. In many ways I'd argue these two film were ahead of their time in the 1950s with this one being arguably even more ahead of its time although the suspenseful twist near the end actually proves a bit more disturbing these days on some levels. The more recent Father of the Bride II is largely a remake of this one and follows the same plot more or less adding only a few more characters and a second pregnancy not in the original. This movie remains quite amusing throughout and has touching, moving little moments. I'll give this one ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

House of Wax (1953): A wax figure sculptor named Professor Henry Jarrod (Vincent Price) working at a 1910s wax museum ends up getting caught in a fire set at the museum, a plot to collect insurance money leaving him disabled after being originally thought dead. Jarrod plans to start up a new museum with the help of his pupils including the deaf-mute Igor (Charles Bronson) and the bearded eccentric Leon (Nedrick Young). Meanwhile a disfigured cloaked killer is going around strangling victims whom appearance wise greatly resemble many of the wax figurines appearing as part of Jarrod's popular new sensationalistic "Chamber of Horrors" exhibit.

This remake of Mystery of the Wax Museum is arguably more serious and very much its own animal. I think it's very good although I slightly prefer the original. The cast for this one is great what with Price, a very young Bronson, Young, a pre-Morticia Carolyn Jones as a pretty blonde victim and Phyllis Kirk as this movie's  lead scream queen Sue Allen. The look of the cloaked disfigured strangler is quite startling and Bronson is memorable here as the creepy deaf mute Igor providing this one's horror element although like the film it remakes, it's in some ways more a mystery horror than just an outright horror. However the mystery in this one proves a little too easy and obvious for the viewer to work out although when the horror and suspense is as fun as this one is, one doesn't care too much. I'll give this one ***1/2 out of ***** stars.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 07:39:45 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5360 on: September 03, 2012, 07:55:15 PM »

Last night I watched an ultra-cheapie called WHEN DEATH CALLS, from a company called Yellow Ape Productions.  It was a string of loosely connected scary stories called in to a late night sexy radio host; the main point of each story seemed to be combining some fairly predictable scares with the female lead getting naked at some point . . . although, to be honest, some of them would have been better off remaining clothed! That being said, the stories were interesting enough to keep me watching, and the very last vignette was actually quite clever and rather scary . . . a man murders his wife (who is a total hottie) so he can be with his girlfriend (who is a bit of a chunky monkey!) only to find that his bride WON'T STAY DEAD!!!  The entire movie was worth watching for that last one.  So if you like microbudget horror with a bit of a sleaze factor, this one is definitely for you!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5361 on: September 04, 2012, 06:49:51 AM »

Star Pilot (1966) - some aliens land on earth, but they need help fixing their spaceship so they abduct some folks who were investigating the incident. They also need help piloting their ship back to their home planet, so it's gonna be a long day for these people. It's Italian, it's sci-fi, it's from the '60s...you know the drill  BounceGiggle  It had one of the more unintentionally hilarious scenes I've witnessed lately, as the spacewalks were simulated by having the actors bounce on trampolines and then showing it in slow motion. I got a kick out of it. 3.5/5.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #5362 on: September 04, 2012, 07:21:49 AM »

Kaboom (2010)

College students explore their sexuality: Smith is gay and has the hots for his hunky hetero room mate Thor. Student London has a thing for gays so she talks Smith into having sex with her. Meanwhile Smith's best friend Stella - a lesbian - is having a Fatal Attraction kind of relationship with hottie Lorelei. Lorelei on the other hands seems to have supernatural powers. When strangers with animal masks start to haunt Smith he is drawn into mad- and weirdness filled with sexual fantasies and dark secrets from his past.

Offbeat and very entertaining "sci-fi" comedy that's part Donnie Darko and The Rules of Attraction. The big reveal at the ending seems far fetched but it works if you take your time for a moment to think about it. I dug it. 4/5
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5363 on: September 04, 2012, 07:11:27 PM »

King of the Ants-Stuart Gordon's 2003 effort has a lot going for it but don't go in expecting Reanimator levels of quality. Despite the title this is not a killer ant movie. In fact I don't remember seeing a single damn ant the whole film. I did see Daniel Baldwin though who looks like Alec Baldwin if he was stung by 1000's of bees. This is a rather compelling story of a drifter painter who gets involved in murder through his meeting with Norm from Cheers. There is far too many shots of the main dude naked, they could of easily been taken out without complaint. Overall I would say just skip this and watch Gordon's 2005 film "Edmond" which has many of the same actors with 0 man ass or Daniel Baldwin's.
6.5/10
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #5364 on: September 04, 2012, 07:36:02 PM »

"Gantz" (2010).  This is the live-action movie that is based on a manga/anime.  It's very weird, and trying to get your bearings on what is happening to the main characters is enough of a spoiler that I'd rather not give it away.  The film also has a low-key, but twisted sense of humor that I liked a lot.  I will highly recommend this for anyone who likes Asian science fiction films.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #5365 on: September 04, 2012, 11:57:52 PM »

"Hot Fuzz" (2007)
Small | Large

In this genre-twisting parody from the "Shaun of the Dead" crew, a tightly wound London supercop (Simon Pegg) is transferred to a country village whose deceptively sleepy exterior hides a dark secret.

Starts out as a pretty standard takeoff on police-procedural flicks till it suddenly goes all dark 'n' hilariously twisted around the three quarter mark leading into an explosive, all out orgy-of-gunplay finale that would make Michael Bay proud.

A total hoot!!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 12:03:16 AM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

dean

« Reply #5366 on: September 05, 2012, 03:12:09 AM »

"Gantz" (2010).  This is the live-action movie that is based on a manga/anime.  It's very weird, and trying to get your bearings on what is happening to the main characters is enough of a spoiler that I'd rather not give it away.  The film also has a low-key, but twisted sense of humor that I liked a lot.  I will highly recommend this for anyone who likes Asian science fiction films.

I saw the anime series a while back and that was just plain wacky: some of the 'bad guys were super insane in that 'only in Japan' kind of way.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5367 on: September 05, 2012, 06:22:08 AM »

Primal Impulse a.k.a. Le orme (1975) - A woman can't remember what she did for the last 3 days, but she figures out she was on some Island in Turkey. So she goes there and sips tea out of a tiny glass, and talks to a little girl on the beach for 90 minutes. At one point she runs for a ways.  Then she falls down. Egads this was the most boring thing imaginable. The main character was completely undeveloped and couldn't possibly be less interesting. The story took ages and ages to unfold. I'm guessing the director must have been in love with this woman because the entire movie is just her in front of the camera, either in close up, medium close up or mid shot. 1.5/5. 

- Paulo Coelho
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #5368 on: September 05, 2012, 07:59:16 PM »

Black Sunday (1960): While suffering through a brutal punishment from the Inquisition after being accused by her own brother, a witch/vampire named Princess Asa Vajda (Barbara Steele) places a centuries long curse upon her family and their descendants swearing to feed on them through the ages.

This stylistic horror movie from director Mario Bava is quite involving as it's filled with thrilling and shocking imagery/ideas which surely must have unsettled many viewers in its heyday. At the very beginning, there's a brutal sequence in which we see the mask of Satan nailed to the faces of those condemned. In some ways though, the story is somewhat soap opera-ish and even dare I say somewhat twistedly romantic on some levels as many of the actions of characters here whether for good or evil tend to be motivated by love. A true classic and definitely well ahead of its time and clearly influential on many horrors to follow, this one is must see for true horror film lovers. Truly the stuff of which nightmares are made, there's lots of creepy, chilling horror sequences that transport viewers into dark and creepy places and a very young Barbara Steele delivers chills and thrills and also elicits sympathy in a dual role. **** out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #5369 on: September 05, 2012, 11:53:06 PM »

"The Runaways" (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/v/OTpdXKocacQ

Joan Jett and L.A. impresario Kim Fowley manufacture the ultimate all girl rock band in the 1970s, who make a brief splash and then quickly implode in a haze of drugs and egos.

Interesting (if slightly dry) bio-pic that supposedly isn't very historically accurate even though it's based on Cherie Currie's autobiography. After a while I got the feeling that the movie should've been called "The Joan and Cherie Story," because the other Runaways are basically background characters who have very little to say or do.

Great performance by Kristen "Twilight" Stewart as Jett and Dakota Fanning as Cherie Currie, though, and of course the soundtrack rocks. Good stuff.

Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.