Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:56:31 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2093909 times)
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5640 on: December 05, 2012, 12:14:39 PM »

Lockout (2012)

The Luc Besson machine that currently writes every action film made today pushes another one down the assembly line, this time in space. Guy Pierce stars as a wrongly accused man whose only way to stay out of space jail is to rescue the president's daughter from space jail.

This film could have been a great b movie but sadly doesn't quite work to a number of factors. Firstly someone thought it was a good idea to make every single one of Guy Pierces lines sarcastic semi jokes. Some of the lines could have worked too if they had been spaced out but the endless barrage we get becomes annoying rather fast. I will admit some of the scenes of him and Maggie Grace bickering are well done and she is much less annoying than she is in Taken.

As for the action itself it's ok but not violent or engaging enough for a film like this. For some reason they put some terrible CGI in a chase right at the beginning of the movie, which is puzzling because I think the CGI when we get to space is actually uniformly decent. I think the problem comes from the two first time directors we have here. This is the kind of movie that requires some experience and a good rewrite and it could be solid fun but this misses the mark.

On the positive end it doesn't overstay it's welcome at 90 minutes, and most of it's flaws can be overlooked if you go in with low expectations. In terms of the Besson Canon I would say it's slightly better than "Taken", worse than the Transporter series and light years away from Besson's masterpiece's Leon and Nikita. I regret buying it but at least it's a nice looking blu ray.
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5641 on: December 05, 2012, 01:20:09 PM »

A dapper gangster sponsors an alcoholic violinist in order to win the love of a divorced socialite. It's worth a view for the cheesy acting and the silly dialog....not one of Carol Lombard's better efforts.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #5642 on: December 06, 2012, 12:33:07 AM »

"Prometheus" (2012)

Small | Large

Ridley Scott's return to the "Alien" universe is an atmospheric, creepy slow-burner about a space mission to discover the origins of humankind... that finds something else instead. Beautifully filmed, great performances by Charlize Theron (as a corporate b***h) and Michael Fassbender (as a deceptively friendly android), loads of horrific set pieces and other eye candy. It's not quite an "Alien" flick, which is what p**sed off a lot of fanboys who were hoping to see chestbursters and face-huggers galore, but it's close enough for me. Neat stuff.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
spongekryst
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5643 on: December 06, 2012, 09:42:27 AM »

People seem to be pretty mixed when it comes to this movie, but whether you love it or hate it, we all seem to agree on two things; it's a bit too slow and the ending was weak. That being said, I liked it a lot, especially if you count that it's the director's debut film. I especially enjoyed the soundtrack, which was very true to the period it took place (1983, though it came out in 2010). The plot is pretty basic for sci-fi movies of that time as well, but it's the presentation that really pulls it together (which is very David Lynch/Kubrick). I don't seem to be very good at plot summations, so I would recommend watching for yourself while it's on Netflix. 8/10
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5644 on: December 06, 2012, 01:32:11 PM »

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) - some kid with hairy feet finds some guy's wedding ring but if you toss it in a fire (the ring not the kid) the word "McGuffin" appears across the side of it, so some other dude with a ZZ Top beard tells him he has to get rid of it. Instead of just tossing it in a lake like any normal person would do, they decide to carry the thing all the way across the frickin' planet and throw it into a volcano, that just happens to be right next door to where the big bad guy lives. This starts off really cute and kid-friendly, but picks up some steam when they eventually arrive at the Elven village and pick out the guys who will be in the Fellowship. It even turns into an action movie near the end, and a pretty cool one at that. And it keeps going on and on... it was time for bed and they were still expositing and emoting. There was some good writing and acting in here if you could stand the slow pace and Harry Potter's effeminate little brother (Elijah Wood) in the main role. 4.25/5.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:37:20 PM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #5645 on: December 07, 2012, 12:10:36 AM »

"Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman" (2003)

Small | Large

Feature length spin-off from the early '00s "Adventures of Batman & Robin" animated series finds yet another new vigilante in Gotham - a mysterious Batwoman, who's intent on taking down an illegal-weapons scheme run by the Penguin and Rupert Thorne. Her identity could be one of three women in Bruce Wayne's life, and Batman has to figure out which one.

This one's not as dark n' gritty as the 1990's "Batman: The Animated Series" film spin-offs or the more recent "DC Animated Universe" flicks, (and the animation's not quite as nice as either of them, to boot); "Batwoman" is more kid-friendly than the other Batman toons I've been watching lately but there's still plenty of action. I enjoyed this one but I greatly preferred "Under the Red Hood" and "Mask of the Phantasm."

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and

« Reply #5646 on: December 07, 2012, 03:26:59 PM »

A widow from LA loses her factory job when a supervisor tries to grope her so she packs her 6 kids into their car and heads east....they end up in Idaho. She persuades a Korean man to sell them a half finished old shack that he intended for his son,who was killed in the Korean war. With her bowling alley job and help from the kids,including one boy who helps out the local junkman in trade for assorted items,they make the shack liveable. However,when they get inside plumbing one boy sets their outhouse on fire and it burns down the shack. Luckily,the local citizens band together to build them a real house. Heartwarming without being drippy plus Kathy Bates is good at the tender but slightly eccentric mother. Soon-Tek Oh plays the Korean man and he is a pleasantly familiar face.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #5647 on: December 07, 2012, 03:43:30 PM »

RED RIDING HOOD (2003)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Riding_Hood_(2003_film)

A very strange, entertaining film, part of the BLOOD BATH commpilation set from Mill Creek. I watched it last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it for its sheer weirdness.

Small | Large

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5648 on: December 08, 2012, 07:42:14 AM »

BloodRayne (2005) - Kristanna Loken stars as a half vampire / half human who's the daughter of the king of vampires. She doesn't like him much - he raped and killed her mother. She's out for revenge. So she gets captured by some vampire hunters who also want to kill the big king dude, and after a few meaningless subplots are taken care of we eventually get to the big showdown. Michael Madsen is the head vampire hunter and his line recital is so awful it's hard not to laugh. And then you've got Loken with her pupils dilated so big that I was amazed she could remember her lines. The plot wasn't really too bad but the dialogue was awful - or maybe it was just the delivery that made it seem so bad. After the big climax we get a flashback to all the fights in the movie, with what I'm assuming were scenes that were previously deleted because they're so goofy it's just comical. I have absolutely no idea why they stuck that on there. Still it was pretty entertaining just for it's Ewe Bollness Smile 3.75/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5649 on: December 08, 2012, 09:36:27 AM »

ROOM 237 (2012): Five obsessed fans explain their intricate theories about the horror classic THE SHINING, from the nearly plausible (it's an allegory for the Holocaust) to the totally batty (it's Stanley Kubrick's guilt-ridden confession that he helped fake the moon landing). A must for fans of the movie, who will be introduced to many curious details that they never noticed before---including a lot of things that aren't actually there. 3.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5650 on: December 08, 2012, 09:45:06 AM »

Last night I watched A VAMPIRE'S TALE,  a low budget vampire film set in England, where an antiquities dealer, his pregnant wife, and his utterly obnoxious adult step-daughter are terrorized by an ancient female vampire who is none other than Lilith, Adam's legendary first wife.  Lilith in turn is being hunted by an American cowboy vampire whose accent alternates between English and American.  Slow-moving, unbelievable  plot, and some nudity to liven it up here and there.  Not great, but better than DOCUMENTING THE GREY MAN.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
claws
« Reply #5651 on: December 08, 2012, 11:40:17 AM »

Eyes of Fire (1983)

Set in 1750, a small group of people try to relocate somewhere in the great outdoors. Along the way they encounter Indians who try to warn them not to set camp in a valley. They do anyway, and soon enough a seemingly mute little girl appears. As it turns out the girl is actually a witch of some sorts equipped with deadly supernatural powers ...

Odd but well made Indie flick that defies categorization. Authentic looking setting and costumes, decent acting, weird/cool effects and lots of creepy moments. 4/5
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5652 on: December 08, 2012, 12:20:25 PM »

Out for Justice(1991)

Steven Seagal is out for justice! That's pretty much the story here when Seagall's partner is killed in front of his own family. It turns out a drug crazed gangster named Richie is behind it. I haven't actually seen that many Seagal movies and this one was pretty good if entirely generic. Director John Flynn (Rolling Thunder) actually put's some stylish shots in this one which ups the quality a bit. But really this movie is all about the violence and that's where it is most successful. Their are some truly ridiculous beatings inflicted here and some great OTT gore touches (peoples legs being shot, arms chopped off). In between those scenes Seagal adopts a ridiculous italian accent and interrogates suspects. These scenes aren't as good but they do give us this exchange

Detective Gino Felino NYPD: [while questioning Patti in the club] Who's this one over here?
Patti Madano: Which one?
Detective Gino Felino NYPD: The one with nipples you could dial a phone with.

I grabbed this on Blu Ray cheap and am glad I did. There are no extras and the picture is not impressive. Worse yet for an action film the sound fx and music are really weak, lessening the films impact. Still I paid less than 10$ for it new and I could see it being a good movie to watch while drunk.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5653 on: December 08, 2012, 03:40:52 PM »

(it's Stanley Kubrick's guilt-ridden confession that he helped fake the moon landing).

I totally accept this interpretation.

Elevator to the Gallows (1957) - essentially a film noir. Like other of the 50's noirs it benefits fro lack of adherence to the film code. The print is so good you might not notice the female lead is a little old for the part, though she is good. The plot and concept are strong. If you like later noirs this is a very good one. score by Miles Davis!

4.25/5
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5654 on: December 08, 2012, 08:52:32 PM »

Dog Day (1984)

Lee Marvin stars in this bizarre thriller from France. The movie starts off with a bank robbery and shootout in which several people are killed (including one child!) and Marvin manages to drive off with the loot. Heading into the countryside he sneaks onto a farm families home. Turns out every member of the family is more crooked than Marvin and soon enough everyone's after the money.

This is a pretty bad movie, Marvin looks close to death and sure enough it is one of his final films. What makes this worth watching is the insane sleaziness in the family dynamic. A child of 10-12 smokes constantly, drinks whiskey and visits a whorehouse. Blatant racism, blatant sexism. Suicide. Mentions of incest. A wife killing her husband. A gas station that has no gas or water. A worker having to hide behind a chimney to avoid the whore character's advances. A mother and son making a conscious decision to be "real s**theads" in the future (actual dialogue). I could go on...

I found this on Mill Creeks Excellent 80's 50 movie set. So far I would have to say it's the most interesting movie I've seen of this pack so far due to it's sheer insanity. No taboo is spared in a movie that fails at being a thriller but ends up in an entirely different exploitation zone of which only the few Mill Creek films dare venture.
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.