Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:00:35 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2093530 times)
claws
« Reply #6330 on: May 20, 2013, 05:11:50 AM »

Children of the Corn (1984) (Blu-ray)

No matter how many times I watch this movie I still think it's bad. Not Ed Wood bad, but bad enough to be called bad. For some reason I own the Blu-ray, and I end up watching it once or twice a year, which is odd since Children of the Corn isn't necessarily a favorite bad movie of mine either. I guess nostalgia has a lot to do with this, and I just like to own movies I rented in VHS days - no matter how bad or good - in better quality. 3.5/5

Terror in the Aisles (1984) (Blu-ray)

Still a fun and charming documentary about horror/suspense movies, hosted by Donald Pleasence and Nancy Allen. I love how they spliced different movies with a similar theme together while discussing or pointing out certain aspects of the genre. Cleverly done. 4/5

Streetwise (1984) (DVD)

Documentary about street kids in Seattle. Still shocking (not in a gross-out way), touching, sad and yet fascinating, and it will stay with you for a long time once the movie is over. 5/5
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6331 on: May 20, 2013, 06:57:04 AM »

Demonic (2005) - some kids are driving through the country and the inattentive driver runs into a girl. A couple of them stay to watch her while the others go in search of someplace with a phone so they can call an ambulance. Unfortunately that particular patch of forest is inhabited by wood nymphs. Yeah when was the last time you saw some of those running around the woods? They're these naked chicks that are sort of like vampires - they entrance you with their beauty and then have themselves a nice little lunch. Where did these nymphs come form, why are they here? You'll never find out by watching this movie. This was actually pretty good (compared to the crap I usually watch). Good theme music created some tension and suspense throughout. One girl was such a mega b!tch that she practically fell into the comedy relief category, but the other characters were at least decent. Pretty predictable and tacked-on ending, but I'll still give it a 4/5.

Rodentz (2001) - some scientists are working in a lab and one of them pours some glowing liquid down the drain. C'mon man, first thing they teach you in Chem 101: If it's glowing, don't dump it in the sink Lookingup Anyhow this stuff ends up in the sewers (or the first floor of the building I guess) and turns all the rats into hyper-agressive killer rats! There's even one guy in a giant rat costume BounceGiggle Other than some unintentionally humorous junk this was pretty crummy. I couldn't even tell one generic character from the next and the whole thing played out in entirely predictable fashion. 2.5/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #6332 on: May 20, 2013, 07:06:13 AM »

Demonic 4/5?  Bluesad

For me that one was a real chore to sit through. I admire your ability to stomach certain movies, and to actually get some enjoyment out of them   Cheers
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6333 on: May 20, 2013, 07:36:49 AM »

Demonic 4/5?  Bluesad

For me that one was a real chore to sit through. I admire your ability to stomach certain movies, and to actually get some enjoyment out of them   Cheers

I've been watching a lot of Mill Creek 50 pack stuff lately, so anything that I can stay awake through probably seems great to me  BounceGiggle

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6334 on: May 20, 2013, 08:10:47 AM »

IVAN'S CHILDHOOD (1962): A 12-year old orphan boy works as a scout for the Russian army during WWII, journeying alone into Nazi territory to gather intel on troop positions. Beautifully shot B&W war drama with tasteful dream sequences. 4/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #6335 on: May 20, 2013, 10:37:00 AM »

Children of the Corn is the very first horror movie I can remember watching. I remember finding it terrifying. Have seen it since, and every single one of the sequels, I will agree that it is an awful movie.

Funny story, as a kid I didn't understand the concept of poisoning. So when they kill all the adults in the diner at the beginning of the movie, I thought they were all dying because the coffee was "much too hot."

Also, Rev., what are the chances we both recently watched the same obscure Tarkovsky movie? I actually quite liked Ivan's Childhood, but it's pretty atypical for a Tarkovsky flick.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6336 on: May 20, 2013, 10:32:56 PM »

"Austin Powers in Goldmember" (2002)

Small | Large

Third (and so far, last) installment in Mike Myers' shagadelic spy spoof series sends Austin time traveling back to 1975, where he teams up with bad-ass superchick agent Foxy Cleopatra (Beyonce Knowles) to foil Dr. Evil's latest scheme and rescue Austin's kidnapped Dad (Michael Caine).

Not as good as the previous two "Austin" films but there is still plenty of immature smirky fun to be had. My fave bit involves Steven Spielberg directing a movie of Powers' life, with Tom Cruise as Austin, Kevin Spacey as Dr. Evil, and Gwyneth Paltrow as agent "Dixie Normous."   Y'know what? I'd totally see that movie. TeddyR
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:33:02 AM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6337 on: May 21, 2013, 06:23:02 AM »

Shakma (1990) - a college professor (Roddy McDowall) implants a microchip into the brain of a baboon. What do you suppose the chances are that it's going to turn into a psycho killer baboon? Meanwhile a bunch of kids are playing a live action Dungeons and Dragons role playing game in the building. So it looks like our psycho baboon is gonna have a nice full tummy by the end of the night. This doesn't start out too bad, but halfway through it's nothing but kids running into rooms and holding the door shut to keep the baboon out. About 50 times. All the doors are apparently made out of cardboard. Except for the ones on the professor's offices, which is where the only phones in the building are. Those can't be broken down by a full grown college student. Yeah riiiiight. 

I don't know, if there was a killer baboon loose and I was finding dead bodies all over the place, I might lock myself in a room and wait for help to arrive. It is a college building, and even if it's Friday, they were in a kitchen at one point so it's not like you couldn't hold out for a couple days. Not these idiots though. If the main guy isn't running around looking for someone who got killed an hour earlier, he's finding dead bodies and looking as if he can't decide whether to throw up or die of a heart attack. And 20 minutes before the end the action comes to a complete stop so we can soak in the emotional drama of all this nonsense. Egads. It was a real test of endurance to make it to the end credits. 1.75/5.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6338 on: May 21, 2013, 08:07:20 AM »

Also, Rev., what are the chances we both recently watched the same obscure Tarkovsky movie? I actually quite liked Ivan's Childhood, but it's pretty atypical for a Tarkovsky flick.

I'd say the odds are pretty close to 1-1. I thought of mentioning in the IVAN'S CHILDHOOD mini-review that it wasn't typical for Tarkovsky, but I didn't think that would mean anything to most people. The average person would be able to deal with IVAN'S CHILDHOOD better than STALKER or SOLARIS; it's like a breakneck action movie compared to those two.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:26:25 AM by Rev. Powell » Logged

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
claws
« Reply #6339 on: May 21, 2013, 09:02:10 AM »

Shakma (1990) - a college professor (Roddy McDowall) implants a microchip into the brain of a baboon. What do you suppose the chances are that it's going to turn into a psycho killer baboon? Meanwhile a bunch of kids are playing a live action Dungeons and Dragons role playing game in the building. So it looks like our psycho baboon is gonna have a nice full tummy by the end of the night. This doesn't start out too bad, but halfway through it's nothing but kids running into rooms and holding the door shut to keep the baboon out. About 50 times. All the doors are apparently made out of cardboard. Except for the ones on the professor's offices, which is where the only phones in the building are. Those can't be broken down by a full grown college student. Yeah riiiiight. 

I don't know, if there was a killer baboon loose and I was finding dead bodies all over the place, I might lock myself in a room and wait for help to arrive. It is a college building, and even if it's Friday, they were in a kitchen at one point so it's not like you couldn't hold out for a couple days. Not these idiots though. If the main guy isn't running around looking for someone who got killed an hour earlier, he's finding dead bodies and looking as if he can't decide whether to throw up or die of a heart attack. And 20 minutes before the end the action comes to a complete stop so we can soak in the emotional drama of all this nonsense. Egads. It was a real test of endurance to make it to the end credits. 1.75/5.

See? I totally enjoyed Shakma  BounceGiggle Seems like we are worlds apart, again.  Wink
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6340 on: May 21, 2013, 09:09:08 AM »

See? I totally enjoyed Shakma  BounceGiggle Seems like we are worlds apart, again.  Wink

We did agree on, what was it, 3 movies last year?   BounceGiggle  We could go for 4 in 2013  Thumbup

- Paulo Coelho
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #6341 on: May 21, 2013, 01:01:44 PM »

WELCOME TO BLOOD CITY (1977)
I dunno whether to call this a bad film or not....

Small | Large

The pseudo-Western sequences with Jack Palance, Keir Dullea, et al were interesting, while the material taking place in the lab reminded me of Canadian tax-shelter sci-fi at it's worst.

Another viewing experience courtesy of MillCreek....

$8.95 at Wal-Mart....that's 17.9 cents per film!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
316zombie
« Reply #6342 on: May 21, 2013, 09:43:15 PM »

sybil-again,i was astounded at how BRILLIANT sally fields is in this movie!!
the story is very painful,especially if you've read the book too,but it's incredibly well done,especially for it's era.

and then there's.....abraham lincoln:vampire hunter,lol! i loved this,thought it was incredibly funny,and the end ROCKED!!!
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6343 on: May 21, 2013, 11:38:18 PM »

"Tower Heist" (2011)

Small | Large

This caper comedy is kinda like an "Ocean's 11" for the Recession Era, with Ben Stiller as the head of a gang of ritzy NYC high-rise employees who plan to steal $20 million from the penthouse of a Bernie Madoff-style swindler. Eddie Murphy is a hoot as the street thug they hire to guide them through the process of becoming criminals. Fun stuff.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6344 on: May 22, 2013, 12:28:02 AM »

I agree that Children of the Corn is awful. Yes, even the first film. Only thing it really has going for it is some of the kids make for creepy villains. Yet I also own it on DVD and one sequel...goodness knows why...

Recently watched...

Further Up the Creek (1958): Val Guest directed Hammer comedy from 1958 has the scheming crew, led by their Bos'n (Frankie Howard), of a soon to be retired warship tricking an inept naval commander named Lt. Fairweather (David Tomlinson) into unwittingly taking a crew of passengers on a cruise during the warship's last official voyage.

I really enjoyed this little film. It's not quite as racy as its advertising suggests on its DVD but is nevertheless quite amusing throughout. Howard proves a great foil for Tomlinson who, perhaps best known for his Disney film efforts, pretty much steals the show whenever he's on screen. It also doesn't hurt to have the lovely Shirley Eaton as frequent eye candy throughout the picture. Character actress Thora Hird also has a memorable role here too. Quite a lot of silly fun, this is great escapist entertainment for an hour and an half. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.