Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:53:28 AM
713350 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424] 425 426 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2100715 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6345 on: May 22, 2013, 06:33:00 AM »

Digital Man (1995) - a super cyborg soldier is sent to thwart the plans of some terrorists who want to launch some nukes. He kills those guys no problem, but then he gets the missile launch codes and wants to transmit them to somebody - I really never understood that. But anyhow, a group of soldiers is sent to take out digital dude, and much firing of surprisingly ineffective large caliber weapons ensues. This was entertaining. The characters had some personality and the whole thing was a bit tongue-in-cheek which helped keep it form getting boring. There's some subplot with an evil military commander who's up to no good as well; I didn't understand that either but Ed Lauter makes a good bad guy. 3.75/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6346 on: May 22, 2013, 08:58:31 AM »

"Galaxy of Terror" (1981)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJO07ylhTu4

Also known as "Mindwarp," this is one of two sci-fi/horror pix released by Roger Corman's New World Pictures in the early 80s to cash in on the success of "Alien" (the other was "Forbidden World" aka "Mutant.") In this one, a crew of astronauts on a rescue mission to a hostile planet become victims of their own fears and get picked off one by one.

More elaborate than your average Corman production, this one suffers from a muddled story but features some cool set design, some nasty ass gore, and a cast that includes a young Robert "Freddy Krueger" Englund, Erin "Joanie Cunningham" Moran, and Ray "My Favorite Martian" Walston. Oh, and there's a scene where a chick gets raped to death by a giant slimy space slug, which is worth the price of admission all by itself.....

This is actually a remake of  JOURNEY TO THE 7TH PLANET (1962)-though much,much,gorier!

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6347 on: May 22, 2013, 10:09:06 AM »

TRISTANA (1970): An old man (Fernando Rey) becomes obsessed with an beautiful orphan girl (Catherine Denueve) whom he adopts; she leaves him but returns when she loses her leg. All of Luis Bunuel's usual intelligence and obsessiveness is on display here, but there's little passion or magic in this melodrama that's only slightly twisted. TRISTANA serves as a breather between the masterpieces BELLE DE JOUR and DISCREET CHARM OF THE BOURGEOISIE. 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #6348 on: May 22, 2013, 12:58:43 PM »

DAREDEVIL (2003)

I saw this film in '04, in a crowded tv room, and I didn't enjoy it, because of the noise, and because-

A-I didn't like Affleck.
B- I thought "Alias" was a stupid show, so I didn't like Garner.
C- I thought the casting of Michael Clarke Duncan as the Kingpin was guilty-liberal PC-crap.
D- I hated the costume; didn't look enough like the comics.

FF nine years, and I'm in Hastings, and what should I find, for $1.99, but this....

The 2-disc Special Edition. For that price, I would've at least CONSIDERED buying HOWARD THE DUCK.

Just kidding.

This is a very good movie. It's a wonderful superhero film, and a wonderful, tragic, yet redeeming love story.

I'm really glad I got the chance to re-visit it. If you can find the Special Edition, get it-the extra stuff makes it more than worthwhile.

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6349 on: May 22, 2013, 10:42:20 PM »

Legend of the Black Scorpion (2006) - Yuen Woo Ping and Zhang Ziyi from Crouching Tiger do something similar but stranger , but not quite as good, but interesting! The opening scene especially of guys fighting on some giant wooden thing with weird actor guys and imperial guards fighting is really top notch. It never quite maintains that level of energy for me and in general the movie alternates between inspired, classy, weird and kind of boring here and there. The 2 hours didn't pass slowly though. Very elaborate sets and costumes. I would really have loved to see this in the theater. not much kung fu, more opera type weirdness and flying sword fights. It's nice if you fancy this sort of stuff 4/5
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 04:01:58 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

« Reply #6350 on: May 23, 2013, 01:14:08 PM »

THE ALIEN FACTOR (1976)

Small | Large

Back in the early 80's, Channel 8 used to show a movie at four o'clock in the afternoon Monday through Friday; naturally, it was called, THE FOUR O'CLOCK MOVIE, or, as we affectionately named it, THE FOUR O'CLOCK BARF, due to the quality of the films shown. Generally, they were cheesy 70's sci-fi movies, often of the Canadian tax-shelter type, or really low-budget American films, like this product of Maryland.

Meteor crashes in woods.
       Meteor is actually spaceship.
       Spaceship is actually transporting dangerous alien animals to interplanetary zoo.
       Dangerous alien animals escape, wreaking havok on the locals.
       Sherrif wants to call in the army.
       Mayor wants to keep it on the down-low, 'cause he's trying to cut a deal to get an amusement park just      
       outside of town.

Still, there's a certain charm to these movies-euphoric recall, I guess.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 02:35:12 PM by alandhopewell » Logged

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6351 on: May 23, 2013, 04:53:07 PM »

^ Good ol' Don Dohler.   If the DVD sold 100 copies, all his production costs on the film were covered  Thumbup

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6352 on: May 23, 2013, 10:45:25 PM »

"Inseminoid" (1981)

Small | Large

In this sleazy British-made "Alien" wanna-be, a crew of space archaeologists have uncovered the remnants of an alien civilization on a distant planet. Soon one of the female crew members learns that said civilization is not quite dead yet, because a bug eyed thingy gets all Rapey McRapeington on her.  Soon she's pregnant with God knows what and goin' all psycho-killer on her fellow crew members in order to protect her terrible offpspring until it can be born. Also known as "Horror Planet," this is tasteless, cheap, gory, violent, exploitative, misogynist nonsense. In other words, it's my kinda movie.  BounceGiggle

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6353 on: May 24, 2013, 06:17:08 AM »

^ a favorite of mine too  TeddyR

Moonbase (1997) - some convicts from an orbiting prison manage to escape and end up at a garbage dump on the moon. The employees of this dump not only have to deal with the murderous convicts, but a group of military guys there to retrieve an atomic bomb as well. This is an old favorite of mine. I'm sure 99% of people would dismiss it as run of the mill low budget junk, But it's my kind of junk. Characters were pretty good, it's a little bit tongue in cheek which adds a bit of extra entertainment, and it's full of the usual low budget charm - the orbiting prison has cells made of cement blocks and the moonbase is the basement of some industrial building. 4/5.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6354 on: May 24, 2013, 01:45:38 PM »

"Dance of the Dead" (2008)

Small | Large

It's Prom Night in a small California town, and a leaky nuclear power plant causes an outbreakof zombies.  Soon the only humans left....are the school losers who skipped the prom because they couldn't get dates.
I wasn't expecting much from this one at first based on the description but it turned out to be a fast paced, funny, action packed and extremely gory "zom-com," worth a look!

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

« Reply #6355 on: May 24, 2013, 02:32:21 PM »

^ Good ol' Don Dohler.   If the DVD sold 100 copies, all his production costs on the film were covered  Thumbup

Yup-the entire budget (in '78) was $3500.00; it shows.

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6356 on: May 24, 2013, 06:04:12 PM »

Secret History of UFOs (2012): This was a pretty good documentary covering some of the better UFO reports. It's also a nice touch that this was evenly balanced with both the believer side and the skeptic sides well represented, although I kind of felt they leaned a bit towards the skeptic side yet also realized the believers were more likely to make up the majority of their audience so they seemed to waiver a bit back and forth. A lot of the usual suspects on hand for this including a familiar face or two from "Ancient Aliens". The CGI FX were cheaply done and rather lackluster but I was happy to see a few clips from some classic sci-fi films made it into the mix. Amusing enough for an hour and an half. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

Fun and Fancy Free (1947): Classic Disney animation tells two short stories. The first of which is about a circus bear named Bongo who escapes into the wild where he finds love. This was pretty silly fare for the most part and centered on songs and comedy with some more frightening elements, albeit short-lived, thrown in for good measure. The second is a take on Jack and the Beanstalk featuring Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy, also known as "Mickey and the Beanstalk". Now this one is truly something special. A really fun bit of escapist fare that features Disney's most familiar characters involved in high adventure. I saw this film when I was younger and it was the second feature that long stuck in my memory especially the sequence where the giant chases Mickey. More for kids than adults but enjoyable enough for what it is. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
claws
« Reply #6357 on: May 25, 2013, 02:57:54 AM »

"Dance of the Dead" (2008)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF1BJGl4nMc

It's Prom Night in a small California town, and a leaky nuclear power plant causes an outbreakof zombies.  Soon the only humans left....are the school losers who skipped the prom because they couldn't get dates.
I wasn't expecting much from this one at first based on the description but it turned out to be a fast paced, funny, action packed and extremely gory "zom-com," worth a look!

One of my favorites. I'm still somewhat traumatized because the Director ignored my friends request on Facebook :(
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6358 on: May 25, 2013, 06:28:06 AM »

Croc (2007) - a guy owns a crocodile farm in Thailand, and the local evil rich guyTM wants to build condos or something on the land, so he's got the cops and the animal protection lady after him. And there's also a 20' saltwater crocodile cruising the nearby coast looking for tasty treats. Michael Madsen shows up as the one-legged croc hunter "Croc" Hawkins. This was more of a drama than your typical monster movie. Kind of slow moving but it still had its share of B-movie silliness, like when a guy takes a swim in his pool - without noticing the 20' crocodile in there. He's got the whole ocean to swim around in but he prefers the coziness of a chlorinated pool I guess.  I thought this was enjoyable. The croc farmer dude's sister is pretty hot. 3.5/5.

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6359 on: May 25, 2013, 11:00:40 AM »

Jesus of Montreal (1989) - French language Canadian film about a church that hires a bunch of actors to jazz up it's Passion Play, but then objects because it's too edgy. It's very PBS looking despite some nudity and language and it's 2 hours don't exactly go by quickly as it's very heady / philosophical stuff but the basic idea and writing are really good.

While making this new version of the Passion play they end up having all these things happen that the viewer recognizes as being a part of that story. The money changers in the temple are the horrible ad people who humiliate the actresses trying out for their dumb products and so forth. Speaking of which the lead actress is quite pretty

It's a bit of a slog, there are no car chases or anything, but if you are interested in this stuff it's worth it despite the dankness and low budget. 4.5/5
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 11:03:14 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 422 423 [424] 425 426 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.