Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:45:38 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2094164 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6675 on: August 23, 2013, 06:45:30 AM »

It Happened at Nightmare Inn (1973) - two sisters with extremely conservative values run a hotel in Spain. They don't care much for the loose, inappropriately attired young girls who come to stay there, and those loose girls tend to end up in the wine vat in the basement. Kind of weird because other than these two women, no other characters are developed in the slightest and although I wouldn't say the sisters are likable, I could certainly sympathize with them. I think the people who made this wanted to demonize old-fashioned values but ended up doing just the opposite. There's one thing towards the end that makes no sense and is downright stupid, but other than that it's a decent, if slow paced thriller. 3/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6676 on: August 23, 2013, 11:20:14 AM »

AXE GIANT: THE WRATH OF PAUL BUNYAN (2013): Juvenile delinquents in the woods are killed off by Paul Bunyan (who is revealed to be a mentally deficient giant) after they inadvertently desecrate Babe the Blue Ox' grave. Not nearly as bad as I was hoping for; instead, it's a big, lumbering oaf of a movie. 2/5 at the highest.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
VenomX73
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6677 on: August 23, 2013, 08:09:02 PM »

Dog Day Afternoon (1975)

Yup. That's Chris Sarandon - Jerry Dandrige from Fright Night.

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #6678 on: August 24, 2013, 02:44:51 AM »

Dog Day Afternoon (1975)

Yup. That's Chris Sarandon - Jerry Dandrige from Fright Night.

I watched an interview with Chris Sarandon on that DVD and was surprised to hear that he actually has a quite normal speaking voice. I grew up watching him as Prince Humperdinck and Jerry Dandridge, both roles in which he uses a Shakespearean diction. He just sounds like a regular guy in real life. It's like hearing Christian Bale talk in his real speaking voice, unexpected.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6679 on: August 24, 2013, 12:27:27 PM »

Last night I watched a RedBox special called ALYCE KILLS.  (Might be spelled ALYSE; I'm too lazy to pull up IMDB this morning).

Alyce is a fairly attractive brunette who works as a number cruncher for some big and nameless corporation.  She has one true friend, a prettier version of herself named Carroll whom she is drawn to and a bit jealous of at the same time.  After work one night they go clubbing; when Carroll finds out her boyfriend is cheating on her, they decide to get drunk and high.   Carroll hints that she would like to sleep with Alyce but then changes her mind when Alyce comes across as a bit too eager.  They wind up on the roof after doing some ecstasy and Carroll falls off.
  Alyce is consumed with guilt and spirals out of control into further drug abuse, mindless sex, and finally into a gory homicidal rampage.  The kills are unbelievably gruesome and realistic; yet at the same time Alyce remains a somewhat sympathetic character.  One thing that makes her so engaging is that she makes no attempt to hide what she is doing.  When her apartment manager comes to her door at one point because he is getting complaints about the noise, she tells him: "Sorry.  I'm disposing of a dead body and if I mash it up with a baseball bat it cuts apart easier.  I'll finish in the morning."  That scene alone made the movie worth watching. Buggedout

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6680 on: August 25, 2013, 09:17:54 AM »

"Lifeforce" (1985)

Small | Large

This big budget sci-fi/horror flick from Tobe ("Texas Chainsaw Massacre," "Poltergeist") Hooper definitely ranks as one of the most batsh*t insane movies to come out of the 1980s. A space shuttle studying Halley's Comet discovers an alien craft hidden in the comet's tail, and brings three humanoid creatures that they find inside the craft back to Earth. Unfortunately the three happen to be Space Vampires who are soon causing mass chaos as they drain the population of London.

Lifeforce has decent special effects and lotsa gratuitious female nudity but the movie stops making a lick of sense about 30 minutes in and simply gets more ridiculous from there. Turn your brain off and enjoy it for the carnage and the overacting.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6681 on: August 25, 2013, 09:55:18 AM »

nudity was definitely the high point in that one as I recall.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6682 on: August 25, 2013, 10:06:52 AM »

THE FARTISTE (1987): One-hour mockumentary on the life of Le Petomane, the (real) early 20th century French performer who entertained audiences with his incredible bowel control which enabled him to fart at will (and even imitate musical instruments and play melodies). Unfortunately, there is a reason this was not released for 25 years; it's just not very funny. 1.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
VenomX73

« Reply #6683 on: August 25, 2013, 10:17:22 AM »

I won't list the movie I'll let others guess it. 1983 Wink

"Cause I need the bread"

"Then get a job at the bakery!"

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6684 on: August 25, 2013, 04:05:33 PM »

House on the Edge of the Park-Super sleazy Last House on the Left rip off from the director of Cannibal Holocaust. Highlights would definitely be David Hess p**sing on some guy he pushed in a pool and an awesome musical score. Even more misogynist than your typical Italian genre fair which is saying quite a bit. If your in the mood for some exploitation this one will do just fine. 

Bruiser-I had only really heard bad things about Romero's last non zombie movie he made. Our main character is a guy who is constantly being disrespected in all avenues of his life. His wife is cheating on him with his boss, his friend is stealing his money and even his poodle seems out to get him. In the midst of all this he wakes up one day to find a blank mask stuck onto his face. This new found anonymity starts off a streak of revenge against all those who have wronged him. There is a fair bit to admire here, its one of Romero's most visually inventive efforts and is a action/revenge kind of movie instead of your typical horror fare. On the negative side the plot is kind of nonsensical with no reason being given for the mask and some of the humor falls short. Highlights here are Peter Stormares truly ridiculous performance as the a***ole boss and a lengthy cameo by the misfits. Not great but deserves better than its reputation certainly its 100x more interesting than crap like Survival of the Dead.

Eaten Alive-For a time Italians were really into pumping out cannibal movies and even though I have watched a lot of Italian genre fare this is one subgenre of which I have seen very little. Judging by my experience watching this one I cant imagine watching too many more. Endless nudity, endless animal cruelty and some violence but the end result is something that is just kind of boring and pointless. 

voltron

« Reply #6685 on: August 25, 2013, 04:47:55 PM »

Don't Torture A Duckling (1972) - A reporter and a sleazy chick (the gorgeous Barbera Bouchet) investigate child murders in a remote Italian town rife with strange characters and odd superstitions. Just who is committing these crimes and what is their motive? A mentally challenged little girl holds many answers to this. This is an incredible giallo and it is my favorite Fulci film bar none. It's a very engaging and somewhat controversial thriller and is very a atypical effort from Fulci who we all know from his usual oddly plotted gorefests. Fans of classic Italian cinema will find much to love with this one. Highly recommended. 4/5

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6686 on: August 25, 2013, 06:44:05 PM »

Yeah I watched Don't Torture a Duckling for the first time a few months ago and was blown away. Certainly style wise its his most accomplished. Also its fairly obvious Tarantino has watched this scene many times. The mix of the upbeat rock music and sadistic violence is way ahead of its time.
Small | Large
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6687 on: August 25, 2013, 07:44:39 PM »

Nacho Libre (2006): Ignacio (Jack Black) is a cook in a monastery/orphanage. Lacking the funds to buy good ingredients, his cooking is subpar. Ignacio dreams of making money secretly as a luchador and eventually teams up with a newfound friend named Steven (Héctor Jiménez), a thief who stole his tortilla chips to become luchadors with Ignacio donning a mask to hide his identity calling himself Nacho while Steven refers to himself as Esqueleto. They find winning however to be rather tough to accomplish but they are popular enough with fans they still do relatively well. Ignacio though has dreams of bigger things and hopes Nacho can bring good fortune to those orphans he serves as Ignacio.

This comedy I find hilarious albeit in a guilty pleasure type of way for a large part of its running time. All in all, this movie which loosely based upon the true story of Fray Tormenta does have a good message even if it isn't always readily apparent. Esqueleto and Nacho make such an entertaining pair here I could watch more of their adventures. Honestly think this one is a tad underrated. Some really great lines in this one. "Don't be always judging me because I believe only in science." **** out of ***** stars

Six Days Seven Nights (1998): Robin Monroe (Anne Heche), a successful New York magazine editor on vacation with her boyfriend Frank (David Schwimmer) in the tropics, and a gruff small plane pilot named Quinn Harris (Harrison Ford) must overcome their dislike of one another if they hope to survive after being forced to crash land on a deserted island.

This romantic adventure film is surprisingly watchable and enjoyable. It's kind of like a romantic comedy that's more likely to appeal to guys. There is some comedy to be found here too but there also a surprisingly high amount of action and adventure some of which does throw the film into hard to swallow one's disbelief territory. That said, I find I really like watching this one and have no problems re-watching it. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

What Dreams May Come (1998): This film explores the afterlife following the car accident death of a man named Chris Neilsen (Robin Williams) and how it affects both him and his wife Annie (Annabella Sciorra) this separation especially after already suffered a previous tragic fate.

While at times a visually stunning masterpiece, this film never quite works as well as one would like. I get the theme of a love so strong one is willing to go to hell and back but we just don't get to know these characters well enough to sympathize as much as we'd like. Some sequences seem to go on too long while others don't seem long enough. The loud music sometimes distracts from the dialogue. Visually this is fantastic, plotwise it's more problematic. *** out of ***** stars.

She Gods of Shark Reef (1958): Two brothers, one on the run from the law, shipwreck on a tropical barrier reef. They are rescued by a mysterious group of women living upon a nearby island who seem to do nothing but worship their gods, including a shark god, and collect pearls for a company that provides for them. The good brother Chris (Bill Cord) soon takes a liking to his exotic rescuer the young and beautiful Mahia (Lisa Montell) while the evil brother Lee (Don Durant) plots his escape from the authorities and has his eyes on the island's valuables. The girls are ruled over by Queen Pua (Jeanne Gerson), a dour looking woman who disapproves of Mahia's interest in Chris and is far more interested in sacrificing some of the girls to appease the anger of their shark god.

The title for this somewhat lackluster crooks on the lam hide out on tropical island is somewhat misleading. One has images of amazon-like women and shark infested waters. The waters do prove shark infested alright but the sharks hardly look intimidating. This movie despite running only a little over an hour is surprisingly boring, dull and predictable. A lesser effort from Roger Corman that's for sure. ** out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6688 on: August 25, 2013, 09:48:26 PM »

Redbox has been stocking some of the newer Full Moon productions, and last night I watched UNLUCKY CHARMS, a goofy mashup of "America's Next Top Model" and the LEPRECHAUN franchise.  Five girls are the remaining contestants on a lingerie-model reality show; the owner of the franchise has united four ancient charms that she uses to force the mythical creaturs of make-believe - a banshee, a hag, a leprechaun, and a Cyclops - to murder the girls one by one so she can use their souls to remain forever young.  Or something like that.  Lots of cheezy dialogue, cheap special effects, and buxom girls who have trouble keeping their costumes on.

In other words, a pretty typical Full Moon production. TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6689 on: August 25, 2013, 10:42:44 PM »

Detour - penultimate cheapo film noir about a guy trying to get out west to be with his girlfriend. He gets into some trouble and winds up teaming up with a rather severe young hitch hiking dame played by the appropriately named Ann Savage. The wild card is Savage, who is not conventionally attractive but is compelling in the way say, a person you know at work who you don't find all that attractive becomes compelling because you see them every day. And because she's so over the top. Considering the limited budget and running time, just over an hour, it's about as good as it could conceivably be, I'd say.  5/5

« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 10:53:03 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.