Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:13:50 AM
713326 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2100352 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6825 on: September 29, 2013, 12:44:02 PM »

Back to the Future Part II (1989):  Sequel picks up right where the first 1985 film ended. In this, Doc Brown (Christopher Lloyd) fetches Marty McFly (Michael J. Fox) from the past to fix something about his future, 2015 in fact, that involves his kids. Along the way, the Delorean accidentally falls into the wrong hands which drastically changes the past and Marty and Doc Brown find themselves faced once more with returning to 1955 in an attempt to return things to normal only they cannot in any way interfere with their previous trip.

This film is very clever and inventive and makes a great bridge between the original film and Part III. That said, it's much darker in tone than the first film and the future presented while colorful and full of gadgets we still haven't invented hardly seems plausible anymore. The futuristic scenes actually prove somewhat lackluster compared to the later return to 1955 scenes which prove more inventive and more fun but nevertheless has enough going on to keep one watching. Thomas Wilson as Biff factors even more prominently in this one although the aged make-up isn't as convincing as it perhaps once was. This film arguably has aged a little in some ways and I'd have to agree with those who'd say it's the worst of the three films. That said, it still proves quite entertaining and keeps one interested throughout. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

Romance on the High Seas (1948): Socialites Mr. and Mrs. Michael Kent have serious trust issues. After her husband Michael (Don DeFore) wants to postpone yet another trip, Mrs. Elvira Kent (Janis Paige) decides to hire young singer Georgia Garrett (Doris Day) to pose as her on a cruise to South America so she can stay home and secretly spy on her husband and his newly hired gorgeous young secretary Miss Medwick (Leslie Brooks). Meanwhile her husband hires a detective named Peter Virgil (Jack Carson) to shadow his wife on her cruise. Confusion and mistaken identity runs rampant from there on out in this escapist romantic comedy adventure.

This movie is decent enough fun of its type. It has some fun songs performed by Doris Day and even one done by Jack Carson. Oscar Levant as jilted piano player Oscar Farrar, who usually steals the show whenever he appears, and S.Z. Sakall as the Kents' Uncle Lazlo Lazlo add to the fun. The only real flaw is that sometimes the film looks and feels a little too set bound for a film about romance and adventure traveling the high seas to romantic places. I really did quite enjoy this one though which I believe is Day's debut. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6826 on: September 30, 2013, 06:46:22 AM »

The Final Terror (1983) - some forest rangers go deep into the woods and are stalked by an unknown killer. This was pretty decent actually. The characters were either unlikable or else undeveloped, but other than that it had good atmosphere and a good sense of tension and suspense throughout. Liked the ending a lot too. 4/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6827 on: September 30, 2013, 07:20:46 AM »

Insomniac Double Feature:

"28 Weeks Later" (2007)
Small | Large

Sequel to "28 Days Later" finds the U.S. military helping Londoners re-populate their ravaged city after the "rage virus" outbreak... but of course, even in a quarantined zone, the virus still finds it way in. Mayhem naturally ensues, and a couple of Army types (one of whom is played by Jeremy "Hawkeye" Renner) are soon on the run, attempting to protect a pair of children who may be the key to a cure for the out break.

I have never seen "28 Days Later" (though I want to now)... but despite that I was able to pick up on what was going on in this sequel pretty easily and dug this one a lot. Plenty of action, decent amount of gore, and an overall bleak feel.

"The Warrior and the Sorceress" (1984)

Small | Large

David Carradine is the "Warrior" in this ultra cheap swords and sorcery flick. When he arrives in a small village, he finds two warlords constantly battling each other over control of the area's only water source.  Teaming up with the local sorcerer, he sets a plan into motion to get rid of both tyrants so the villagers can be free. It must be noted that the "Sorceress" in the title doesn't actually do much sorceress-ing (is that a word?) but she does spend the entire movie topless, so that's OK.

This hilariously cheesy flick almost cured me of my insomnia last night...but not quite!!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 02:35:34 PM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
voltron

« Reply #6828 on: September 30, 2013, 12:50:12 PM »

The Final Terror (1983) - some forest rangers go deep into the woods and are stalked by an unknown killer. This was pretty decent actually. The characters were either unlikable or else undeveloped, but other than that it had good atmosphere and a good sense of tension and suspense throughout. Liked the ending a lot too. 4/5.
"EGGERT! We comin' to get you man!!!"  Smile That's probably my fave woodsy slasher next to Just Before Dawn. I've had it on vhs for years. Why I haven't gotten it on dvd as of yet is beyond me. Man I LOVE this one!  Thumbup

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
claws
« Reply #6829 on: October 01, 2013, 10:31:08 AM »

Snow White and the Huntsman (2012) (Blu-ray)

Classic fairy tale on steroids with epic Lord of the Rings type of visuals and story telling. This was pretty entertaining but I could totally tell the Theatrical version was edited for pacing during certain scenes. The extended cut is recommended. 4/5

Mama (2013) (Blu-ray)

Creepy and well acted. Unlike others I thought the ending was perfect and didn't ruin anything, plus they really went out of their way with the CGI. Some of the best seen in a long time. 4.5/5

Argo: Extended Cut (2012) (Blu-ray)

Drama/Thriller based on true story that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Nice, authentic early 1980 setting. One thing that is starting to annoy me is Alan Arkin. He might be a good actor but he's been playing the same character he already did in Little Miss Sunshine and Sunshine Cleaning. 5/5

Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (2000)

This one didn't age well though I wasn't too fond of the movie when I first viewed it over ten years ago anyway. Unappealing actors, no thrills or scares, cheap gore and silly/confusing plot. At times the actors sound like only reading their lines word by word from the script. One must really hate The Blair Witch Project to prefer the sequel. 2/5

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6830 on: October 01, 2013, 08:01:15 PM »

Dog Eat Dog - Jayne Mansfield is the main/ only attraction in this somewhat demented mostly stupid gangster movie/ mystery from where else Italy. Mansfield is a gangster moll to two caricature gangster guys who do a job and have to get away with the money. They end up on an island and apparently Ten Little indians type things start happening ( I've never seen Ten Little Indians). The dubbing is annoying and the movie as a whole is ridiculous but it's not as bad as Single room furnished from what I understand. 2/5  barely watchable
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 09:02:32 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6831 on: October 01, 2013, 11:30:59 PM »

"CBGB" (2013)

Small | Large

In this comedic re-telling of the rise and fall of the legendary New York rock club, Alan "Die Hard" Rickman (!) plays Hilly Kristal, a two time loser who buys a dumpy bar in a crappy Bowery neighborhood and - almost by accident - turns it into Ground Zero for the punk rock explosion of the late 1970s.

There are some historically inaccurate bits, which are probably due more to music licensing hangups than anything else (the Ramones, auditioning for Hilly in 1974, play "I Got Knocked Down, But I'll Get Up," which is a Joey Ramone solo track from 2001), but otherwise I thought this was an entertaining, funny rock n roll flick with a great cast including Donal "Grounded For Life" Logue, Stana "Castle" Katic, Taylor (Foo Fighters) Hawkins (as Iggy Pop!), and Rupert "Harry Potter" Grint as Cheetah Chrome of the Dead Boys. Fun stuff!!

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #6832 on: October 01, 2013, 11:46:59 PM »

"Galaxy Quest" (1999)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtHM77IRkus

The has-been cast of a long-cancelled "Star Trek" style science-fiction TV show is recruited by a race of aliens - who think their TV adventures were real - to help them battle against a real-life galactic villain in this spoof of Trek fandom and sci-fi geekery in general. Funny stuff, with great FX and an awesome cast including Sigourney Weaver, Tim Allen, and Alan Rickman. I've seen this one a bunch of times and it never gets old.

I love this one too.  Particularly Sigourney's rants about her role ("it's a stupid job but it's MY job!") and the part with the mashers (another very funny rant from her there).  I'm not a full on Trekkie (no conventions) but enjoyed this one a lot.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6833 on: October 03, 2013, 09:04:17 PM »

Kung Fu of 8 Drunkards - This was a generic but pretty fun chop socky flick. Like an awful lot of these, there is a restaurant and a reclusive old master involved. A guy learns 8 drunkards style kung fu from a weird old guy then meets another weird old guy named Monkey who becomes his friend. Monkey actually has a monkey in one scene but it flew the coop I guess. They get in fights and meet a pretty kung fu girl. One character I liked was the random mysterious guy with the weird neck spasm that shows up occasionally. a red herring ....or is it? not amazing and when it runs out of steam at the end they just have more fights. some noteable actors including Meng Fei

3.75/ 5
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 09:32:49 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6834 on: October 03, 2013, 11:48:17 PM »

Tonight I kicked off my month long Halloween Horror Hootenanny with this oldy but goodie:

"Demons" (1985)
PwX0hOpsuec
Italian horror maestros Dario Argento and Lamberto Bava collaborated on this stylish-but-nonsensical gore fest. Horror film viewers at a newly-reopened German movie palace suddenly have to fight for their lives when the flesh-eating murderous evil in the movie creeps off the screen and starts possessing members of the audience.

As usual with Italian horror flicks, the gore flows hot and heavy, the dialogue is awkward, the dubbing sucks and the story barely makes a lick of sense but the action moves so fast & furious that you won't even notice.

As an added bonus for metal nerds, tracks by Saxon, Accept, Motley Crue and Pretty Maids are heard during pivotal moments.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6835 on: October 04, 2013, 09:47:30 AM »

THE SINGING RINGING TREE (1957): A spoiled princess demands her prince suitor retrieve the magical singing ringing tree for her, but a mischievous dwarf has other ideas for the pair. This inventive theatrical fairy tale from Germany has lush colorful sets and costumes and makes the most of its cheap special effects budget; even the stuff that goes wrong (like the nightmarishly creepy giant mechanical goldfish) somehow just adds to the magical atmosphere. 4.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6836 on: October 05, 2013, 12:22:45 AM »

My wife and I watched STAR TREK: INTO DARKNESS tonight, our very first BLU-RAY movie!!!!

And I enjoyed it just as much on second viewing.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6837 on: October 05, 2013, 01:11:23 PM »

Carnival of Souls - second viewing. I wish it was longer. I understand some of the footage was destroyed which is a shame 5/5

FFC- I saw Demons in the movie theater with my Mom when it came out.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6838 on: October 06, 2013, 05:43:46 PM »

FFC- I saw Demons in the movie theater with my Mom when it came out.

Now THAT is a cool Mom!  TeddyR

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6839 on: October 07, 2013, 07:13:15 AM »

"Tucker and Dale vs. Evil" (2011)

http://www.youtube.com/v/NdNpFoWrBDQ

Tucker and Dale are two good ole' boys who just want a quiet fishing weekend at their rustic West Virginia mountain cabin, but things get complicated when a group of yuppie college kids become convinced that they're psychotic killers. Mayhem, naturally, ensues.

This horror comedy takes ever cliche and convention of the "killer hillbilly" genre and turns them completely upside down. It's funny as hell, it's gory as hell, it's a great time!!

Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.