Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:37:05 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463] 464 465 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2100399 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6930 on: November 14, 2013, 11:47:28 PM »

Last  night I watched an Irish horror film called GRABBERS.  The cover featured a giant ball of tentacles surrounding a huge, toothy maw perched on top of a farm house - I knew I had to see it at that moment!

A meteor strikes the sea and releases tentacle alien monsters that threaten to wreak havoc on a small island town of the coast of the Emerald Isle.  But wait!  After substantial mayhem, the local marine biologist realizes the creature is allergic to alcohol.  So the townsfolk throw a major shindig, and the alien beast gets a major case of indigestion.

All in all, a fairly entertaining little slice of B-movie cheese!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6931 on: November 15, 2013, 10:04:08 AM »

TOUCHY FEELY (2013): A successful massage therapist suddenly develops an aversion to the human body; simultaneously her struggling dentist brother gains an unexplained power to heal his patient's jaw pain. Well-acted but never following through on its central premise, this New Age-y trifle needs to have its chakras realigned. 2/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6932 on: November 16, 2013, 07:44:15 AM »

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995) - some people find some giant birds on one of the Japanese islands, and it's not long before that giant rocket powered turtle shows up as well. This was decent, nothing special IMO. The cast was okay and the story was moderately interesting. I'm afraid I fell sound asleep during the part where the toy tanks were blasting the guys in the rubber suits Bluesad Oh well we got to see Gamera and Gyaos demolish a nice chunk of Tokyo in the end, which is always fun. 3/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6933 on: November 16, 2013, 08:54:50 AM »

The Cottage (2012)

Small | Large

Dreary suburban thriller in which a family rents out their backyard cottage to a guy who seems nice at first, of course, but eventually turns out to be a psycho looking to add their daughter to his Charles Manson-style 'harem' of 'wives.' Predictable mayhem follows. Not good, not particularly bad, just bland. The DVD cover promised something more horror-based than the movie delivered. This flick is suitable for the Lifetime channel.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
claws
« Reply #6934 on: November 16, 2013, 09:53:33 AM »

Sophie's Choice (1982) (Blu-ray)

Brooklyn, 1947: young writer named Stingo rents a room where he meets Sophie, who happens to live in the same house. Sophie is Polish and engaged to a guy named Nathan who is of Jewish descent, and has a habit of treating Sophie in the worst way possible. Soon enough the three become best friends and Sophie opens her heart to Stingo: she survived the Auschwitz concentration camp in Germany ...

Haunting romantic drama that will stay for you for hours. I watched this yesterday and its still stuck in my mind. Meryl Streep gives a lifetime performance and all I can say is WOW. This woman is AMAZING. I always wanted to see Sophie's Choice and I finally did thanks to the European Blu-ray release. 5/5

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6935 on: November 16, 2013, 10:44:27 AM »

Play Misty For Me (1971) - This Clint Eastwood directed/ starring effort is entertaining enough but also kind of a joke. It combines a swank 70's California beach romance with some proto grindhouse type early slasher movie things. The former is cheesy but believable enough, the second is way off.  Fatal Attraction would eventually come a long and do this much better.

Eastwood is a DJ who has a groupie who becomes attached to him. Unlike Glenn Close, she's not all that interesting or sexy. It doesn't seem like it would take much just to tell her to get lost but he never seems to fully do so. One thing I liked is how she makes a scene then tells people who are looking at her "Shut Up a***ole!" or something similar. She does it a couple of times.  

Note: When I watched this I though it was made in 81 which in retrospect makes no sense.

A decent drive in style movie with less camp and better acting. 3.75/5
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:37:04 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6936 on: November 16, 2013, 12:13:10 PM »

MST3K: THE MOLE PEOPLE: The movie starts out a bit dull, with lots of archeological exposition by the dull John Agar, but picks up once the Mole People show up. That's good because the movie itself sort of carries this early Sci-Fi channel episode, where the cast is still trying to get their footing and settle in on their new roles, especially Bill Corbett as Crow. Nothing quite works in the host segments and the riffing is below-average, but it's still worthy of a 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6937 on: November 17, 2013, 07:23:55 AM »

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) - the Nazis are after the Ark of the Covenant and it's up to Indiana Jones to find it before they do. What can I say that hasn't been said a hundred times before?  Smile  Good characters, lots of action, plenty of humor. Great for our family movie night and it looks fantastic on Blu ray. 4.5/5.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6938 on: November 17, 2013, 06:44:43 PM »

Teen Wolf (1985)
Small | Large

Silly teen comedy starring Michael J. Fox as a high school nerd who discovers a quick path to popularity and basketball stardom... by letting his inner werewolf out.

My kids found this on Netflix this afternoon and asked to watch it because "the Back to the Future Guy is in it." I hadn't seen "Teen Wolf" since its original HBO run in the mid 80s, and I didn't remember it being very good even back then. Let's just say it hasn't improved with age.

Michael J. Fox should thank his lucky stars that "Back to the Future" was released before this flick in the summer of '85, otherwise his movie career might never have gotten off the ground!!

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6939 on: November 17, 2013, 09:55:01 PM »

OK, since last notation I have watched a really great, atmospheric horror flick called THE HAUNTING OF HELENA, the surprisingly good Superman film MAN OF STEEL (a Superman movie that ISN"T lame! Wow!!!), an incredibly bad zombie movie called ZOMBIE EX'S, in which all of the main character's ex-girlfriends get turned into zombies, and finally a chilling (I mean literally chilling, the whole story takes place during a blizzard!) slasher film called BLOOD RUNS COLD.  All in all,  a pretty entertaining movie weekend!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6940 on: November 17, 2013, 11:19:45 PM »

I see a "cold movies" thread on the horizon.

Satans Little Helper (2004) - decent but underwhelming Jeff Liebman movie. I liked Blue Sunshine and Just Before Dawn but this isn't quite up to par. Good to see that he's still working and keeping with the times though.

A kid somehow meets up with Satan on Halloween and they cause havoc together. He brings Satan home and ...man this plot is kind of hard to describe. Anyway, the acting and writing are pretty bad especially in the first half. The main reason to hang around is the hot home from college daughter who wears a not all that revealing wench costume that she nevertheless looks fantastic in.

There's a couple of gruesome/ comic deaths and bargain basement made for cable type comedy.

The second half things pick up a bit. The Mom gets kidnapped and peoples guts are pulled out "Cigarette Burns" style. The evil and calm brutality of the killer guy and again, the hotness of the blonde are the high points. The humor and plot movements might strike some as really wacky and out there but it's mostly just not that good. For something they I hope wrote and made really really fast it's above average.  
3.75 /5
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 12:08:30 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
claws
« Reply #6941 on: November 18, 2013, 07:25:04 AM »

Manhunter (1986) (Blu-ray)

Retired FBI Profiler returns to track down a serial killer nick named "tooth fairy" and must seek help from another serial killer, Hannibal Lecter.
Stylish slow burning forensic thriller. Manhunter was a box office flop and critics didn't like it. It became a cult favorite showered with praise over the years.
Great 80s time capsule, the bad hair on most of the male cast made my sister and me giggle. 4.5/5
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6942 on: November 18, 2013, 08:06:11 AM »

The Ugly Truth (2009) - Kathy Heigl stars as an uptight TV producer who's having bad luck with romance. Her station hires Gerard Butler who's a sort of macho man relationship counselor (think Jimmy Kimmel from "The Man Show"). So of course they're polar opposites and Heigl absolutely hates Butler, but his advice works and soon she's going out with the man of her dreams. Then Butler falls in love with Heigl and maybe realizes that relationships aren't as terrible as he's always believed; will Heigl dump the man of her dreams and get together with Butler in the end? Well yeah of course. This was good for a few chuckles but I think the vast majority of the jokes fell flat. The main problem is that it's trying to be an adult romantic comedy but it was written by a complete adolescent.  Stuff that makes teenagers laugh makes adults roll their eyes. Our two leads were both good - not great - in their roles. Pretty typical romcom affair, a pleasant enough waste of 90 minutes and that's about it. 3/5.

Gamera 2: Attack of the Legion (1996) - our rocket powered turtle goes up against Legion, a metal crab type thingie that's accompanied by a swarm of oversized insects. For some reason these two skyscraper-sized plants start growing in a couple of cities (so Legion can spread it's seed to outer space maybe?) and Gamera destroys both of them, with the second blowing up like a nuke and taking out a whole city. Will Gamera recover in time to save Tokyo?  Maybe the love of the children will strengthen him Smile This was a good one with tons of action. The human cast actually made the story kind of interesting in the first half.  A good fun time overall. 4/5.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 11:18:05 AM by Jack » Logged

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6943 on: November 18, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »

I'm home with a sick six year old today, so he got to pick this morning's movie:

Super Buddies (2013)

http://www.youtube.com/v/b2ZxYH6WyLo

Seventh (!) installment of the Disney series starring a quintet of talking Golden Retriever puppies hops on the superhero-movie band wagon, as the five so-adorable-it's-sickening 'Buddies' gain super powers from a set of mysterious rings... just in time to defend their town from an alien invader bent on world domination. Grown ups will roll their eyes at the cheap special effects and dorky humor but if you have young'uns 8-and-under, they'll dig this harmless, family friendly fluff.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6944 on: November 18, 2013, 11:54:38 PM »

"With Great Power: The Stan Lee Story" (2012)

Small | Large

Entertaining documentary about the life and amazing career of Stan Lee, architect of the Marvel Universe, creator of countless classic comic book characters, and overlord of all things Geek, with commentary not only from dozens of Stan's fellow comic professionals but also famous fans like Nicolas Cage, Kevin Smith, and Tobey "Spider-Man" Maguire, to name just a few. A cool trip down memory lane for comic book geeks!

Pages: 1 ... 461 462 [463] 464 465 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.