Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:13:46 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 464 465 [466] 467 468 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2100204 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6975 on: November 27, 2013, 06:14:56 PM »

Nazis at the Center of the Earth - colorful, generally decent SyFY movie except why didn't they go back up the rope and call for reinforcements when their friends were missing? aaah just kidding 4/5
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6976 on: November 27, 2013, 09:40:04 PM »

I don't think that was a SyFy original - I believe it was an Asylum release.  Loved the giant Hitler robot!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6977 on: November 27, 2013, 11:13:11 PM »

Yes, that was inspired.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6978 on: November 28, 2013, 08:29:35 AM »

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (2008) - the main guy from the first two movies (Brendan Fraser) has a son who's discovered the tomb of the first emperor of China. Meanwhile some bad guys get their hands on some giant diamond that can reanimate the emperor and his army of terracotta soldiers so they can take over the world! Of course this is a multi-step process to allow for plenty of big action scenes where the good guys try to stop them. I really liked this. Lots of fun, plenty of humor, and action-packed throughout. The CGI was actually pretty good IMO. Rachel Weisz (Fraser's wife from the first two movies) is sorely missed, and Luke Ford as their son is a pretty bland character, but that wasn't enough to bring it down too much. 4.5/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #6979 on: November 28, 2013, 10:37:13 AM »

The Lords of Salem (2012) (Blu-ray)

Local Radio DJ "Heidi" (Sheri Moon Zombie) is drawn into a witches curse - she is the chosen one to give birth to evil!
Atmospheric occult horror with excellent cast. Director Rob Zombie amps up the scares with effective score and bizarre scenes of terror. On the down side you'll get Sheri Moon Zombie at her most unattractive (tattoos, glasses and blonde dreadlocks are not a good look for her) plus Rob keeps showing us her nude behind. Some of the CGI sequences borderline bad while most of the practical f/x deliver the goods. Meg Foster deserves special mention, she was simply amazing and convincing. 4/5
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6980 on: November 29, 2013, 12:28:32 AM »

The Thanksgiving dishes are cleared away and that means it's time to start kickin' the annual Twisted Christmas film festival. First up...

"Jack Frost" (1997)

Small | Large

In this tongue-in-cheek comic horror cult classic, it's a few days before Christmas and a serial killer on his way to the execution chamber has a run-in with some experimental genetic material, which turns him into a psycho Frosty. Once he's transformed, he seeks revenge on the cop who put him away in the first place.

...Seriously. I'm not makin' this sh*t up.

This hilarious (on purpose) flick makes the most out of its low budget, dumb as hell premise and no-name cast (featuring a pre-"American Pie" Shannon Elizabeth as the town tramp).

Obviously this is not to be confused with the family-friendly film by the same name which starred Michael Keaton and came out about a year after this... though I hear the Keaton movie is pretty horrific in its own right. TeddyR

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6981 on: November 29, 2013, 12:30:37 AM »

I LOVE Jack Frost!! I especially like when they were transporting him to be executed in a plainly labeled STATE EXECUTIONAL VEHICLE.  Priceless!!!! TeddyR BounceGiggle

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6982 on: November 29, 2013, 09:53:23 AM »

NIGHT ACROSS THE STREET (2012): An old man recalls his childhood, when he used to carry on conversations with Long John Silver and Ludwig van Beethoven, as he waits in his boarding home for the man who will kill him to arrive. This defiantly absurd meditation on death gains contextual poignancy due to the fact that writer/director Raul Ruiz was gravely ill while making it and died before it could be released. 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6983 on: November 29, 2013, 11:50:28 AM »

I LOVE Jack Frost!! I especially like when they were transporting him to be executed in a plainly labeled STATE EXECUTIONAL VEHICLE.  Priceless!!!! TeddyR BounceGiggle

Yeah, that was brilliant. Is "Executional" even a real word?  TeddyR

I've got "Jack Frost 2" on deck for tonight. I have a feeling I'm going to hate myself by morning.  BounceGiggle

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6984 on: November 30, 2013, 07:09:37 AM »

The Scorpion King: Rise of a Warrior (2008) - an evil king (MMA champion Randy Couture) kills his best warrior, and the warrior's son vows revenge. After 6 years of training he confronts the king but is unable to kill him because he's a master of black magic. So he and his hot babe girlfriend and a Greek poet team up to search for a magic sword that will allow him to defeat the king. This is a minor favorite of mine, with likable characters and a good sense of fun throughout. It's a bit slow in parts; the suspenseful scenes prior to the big fights drag on a bit long. Still quite enjoyable though. 4/5

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6985 on: November 30, 2013, 09:23:39 AM »

Twisted Christmas Film Festival, Round 2...
Jack Frost 2: Revenge of the Mutant Killer Snowman (2000)

http://www.youtube.com/v/uX7YigAcGdM

Still haunted by memories of his last battle with the killer snowman, the Sheriff from the first 'Jack Frost' movie takes a holiday trip to a tropical island with his wife and some friends... only to be pursued by the re-constituted frozen killer, who can not only survive the warm temperatures, but can reproduce himself (!) in the form of tiny homicidal snowballs. Cheap gory mayhem ensues. (including a few rather obvious nods to 'Gremlins').

This cheap as hell sequel wasn't nearly as much fun as the first 'JF,' mainly because the cast plays up the comedic/camp factor this time around. It was actually funnier when they played everything straight in the first movie, as if they were in a 'real' horror flick. The evil snowball critters were a hoot though.

fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6986 on: December 01, 2013, 10:11:09 AM »

Saw two films directed by people mainly known for their acting this weekend.

One Eyed Jacks (1961)-Marlon Brando took over this project after Stanley Kubrick left in frustration. This is a tale of betrayal and revenge that takes place over several years. Brando and Karl Malden play outlaws whose lives take very different turns. Malden betrays Brando and ends up becoming sheriff of a small town while Brando spends five years in jail. When Brando escapes he only has one thing on his mind, revenge! 

Brando brings a truly unique take on the western here in a film that should be more known than it is. This is a film that is in no rush to get to it's conclusion instead it takes time to fully explore the psychological urges of it's two lead characters. Both behind and in front of the camera Brando brings a quiet intensity that separates it from similar westerns of the time. Heavily edited by the studios (cut from 5 plus hours to 2 and a half) this is most felt in a somewhat lame tacked on ending that differed significantly from Brando's original vision. Overall though this a compelling film and it is no surprise that Scorsese and Tarantino cite it as among their favorites.
Small | Large

The Indian Runner (1991)-Sean Penn directs this super intense look at two brothers and their different approaches to life. David Morse plays a police officer who is starting a new family while Viggo Mortenson plays his violent drifter brother recently out of Vietnam. Despite several attempts by Morse to bring Mortenson back into family life he rejects this until the death of both their parents and a pregnant girlfriend (Patricia Arquette) before the troubled brother even attempts a normal life. Tone wise this is somewhere between "The Deer Hunter" and the films of John Cassavettes which is a high mark to hit for a debut film. Charles Bronson gives one of his final performances as the boys father and it is fantastic one nearly bringing me to tears several times.

Under seen and under appreciated this is a near masterpiece from Penn. I have always appreciated Viggo in films such as "History of Violence" and "Eastern Promises" but it's here that he gives his most powerful performance. On one hand repulsive in his violence and rejection of family but also charismatic and profound at times it is a true tour de force. This is an incredibly sad film with 10/10 performances and cinematography.
Small | Large
claws
« Reply #6987 on: December 01, 2013, 12:47:53 PM »

Fright Night 2: New Blood (Unrated) (2013) (Blu-ray)

Charlie Brewster and his class are studying European art in Romania, and soon enough he suspects his Teacher is a .... Vampire. But will anybody believe him?
This is not a sequel to the 2011 remake, and its not a remake of the 1988 sequel. New Blood is basically a remake of the 1985 film. Decent production values for a direct-to-homevideo release, though characters are less sympathetic or fleshed out. There are a few entertaining and tense moments mixed with partially uneven, sloppy staging disrupting the flow of the plot. 3/5

Curse of Chucky (Unrated) (2013) (Blu-ray)

Chucky is back and he has an old score to settle - he's trying to kill a family he was obsessed about 25 years ago.
Above average sequel in the spirit of the first one. Lots of fun to watch, fans of Chucky should be pleased. 4/5
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6988 on: December 02, 2013, 07:37:55 AM »

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009) - Swedish movie about a reporter who is hired by an old rich guy to solve the mystery of one of his relatives who disappeared 40 years earlier. Before long a goth chick with a dragon tattoo shows up to help him. She's an expert computer hacker an all-around genius, but with a very troubled past. I liked this, the characters were interesting and likable and the mystery they were investigating was quite intriguing and very well done overall. There's plenty of little subplots as well to keep things moving. It's a bit long at 2 1/2 hours, but it never seemed to drag. Well maybe a little bit at the very end. 4/5.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6989 on: December 02, 2013, 11:00:59 AM »

I Need That Record! (2008)

Small | Large

A documentary about the endangered species known as the independent record store, which (as we all know) is disappearing from the American landscape at an alarming rate.

According to the comments from high powered indie rock types like Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth), Mike Watt (the Minutemen) and Ian MacKaye (Fugazi) the loss of the corner record store isn't just a symptom of the problems in the music business, but of the corporate, big-box homogenization of American culture in general.

(In other words, kids: Music = good. Big Business = bad. Mmmm-kay?)

Obviously this flick isn't gonna tell you anything you don't already know, but it's a fun watch due to the various 'characters' that are interviewed (shop owners, customers, musicians, etc.) ... plus the clips of people happily rooting through stacks of dusty LPs and CDs will bring back pleasant memories of the pre-digital age for music junkies...
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 11:05:03 AM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 464 465 [466] 467 468 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.