Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:32:47 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2100164 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7230 on: February 20, 2014, 04:00:43 PM »

a lot of really bad used cars
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7231 on: February 20, 2014, 10:12:47 PM »

The Fugitive Kind (1960) Despite a rather incredible pedigree (Brando is the star, Tennesse Williams is the writer, and Sidney Lumet directs) this film was widely panned and was a complete bomb at the box office. The failure would have an adverse affect on Brando's career and was followed by multiple other bombs throughout the 1960's. Given a second life by a criterion release some have reevaluated this as a lost classic, unfairly maligned at the time.

Watching it the other day I feel that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Brando and the supporting cast are all great in isolation but their is a severe lack of chemistry between when they come together. Lumets direction is fantastic for the finale but it feels like he was asleep at the wheel for the rest of the film. However i think its Williams material that sunk this one even before any of the drama on set. It simply cant compare to the incredible work he was putting on the stage and on the screen at the time and at times feels almost like a parody of his style. Still there's some great lines in here and Brando in compulsively watchable anytime hes on screen making this something that's equally hard to embrace as it is to dismiss.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7232 on: February 21, 2014, 12:45:26 AM »

"Dead End Drive-In" (1986)

Dead End Drive-In Trailer Small | Large

Strange Aussie new-wave post-apocalypse cult flick about a hot rodder who winds up imprisoned in a gang infested drive in theater that doubles as a Government detention camp for troubled youths.

The trailer compares this flick to 'A Clockwork Orange' and 'Mad Max,' which is pretty laughable. It WISHES it were comparable to those films. Once the characters are in place, it takes for-EVER for anything to happen in this movie. The '80s "futuristic" fashions and cheesy soundtrack are a scream, and the climactic action sequence is cool but by that point, all but the most diehard bad movie freaks will have dozed off.

My advice: Don't bother.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:06:36 AM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7233 on: February 21, 2014, 07:07:45 AM »

Solar Crisis (1990) - in the future a huge solar flare is going to erupt from the sun and wipe out the earth. They come up with a plan to send a spaceship with a 5 ton anti-matter bomb to cause the flare to erupt prematurely and shoot out in a direction opposite the earth. Predictably there's some evil corporate type who wants to sabotage the mission because...well it doesn't really make any sense but it's a cliche so they have to put it in there. Meanwhile the spaceship commander's son goes on a half hour subplot where the evil corporate people are trying to kidnap him so he can't tell his dad about their evil plans. The commander's dad (Charlton Heston) tries to save him. This was directed by Alan Smithee, the pseudonym directors use when they want to disassociate themselves from a movie, and I can see why. That subplot with the kid stops the movie dead in its tracks numerous times and on top of that this thing can't decide if it wants to be serious or goofy. It's almost like a compilation of ideas stolen from a dozen other movies with no identity of its own.

It wasn't terrible but it wasn't good either. 3/5.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 11:04:18 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7234 on: February 21, 2014, 09:36:33 AM »

Fat Freddy- I saw that. The energy wasn't there but it was colorful and interesting in it's own way.

Shutter (2004) - I never saw the American remake of this. The movie is solid and entertaining but has one very weird issue that I'm pretty sure everyone who has seen it has picked up on. In the beginning of the movie, a guy and a girl accidentally hit a girl on a bicycle and drive away without stopping or helping. They end up being haunted by the girl to an extent. This whole thing gets forgotten though when we learn the guy has a romantic history with the girl.

The whole hit and run aspect is, I'm being charitable here, mean to be symbolic of the way the girl was treated in the relationship but it's a little too clever, not mention hard to fathom. they're in Bangkok which is a huge city how are you gonna randomly, literally, run into an ex girlfriend. Even Tarantino wouldn't attempt this. It was decent but that whole thing was distracting. The apparition is Japanese horror style and pretty scary.
3.75/5
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:58:44 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7235 on: February 21, 2014, 09:48:32 AM »

GLORIA (2013): A young grandmother embarks on a new romance with a sweet and attentive but strange older man. Paulina García's resilient performance just barely overcomes a slow-moving first half to earn the movie a mild recommendation. You won't be convinced that romance after 50 is a beautiful thing, but you'll be sure sex after 50 is an ugly one. 3/5.

METALLICA: THROUGH THE NEVER (2013): A roadie goes on a mysterious errand during a Metallica concert. The parallel narrative successfully breaks up the tedium of pure concert footage, but it's basically just a 90 minute music video that will be a must-see for fans of the band and of little interest to others. To me, every Metallica song sounds like a man furiously yelling at his malfunctioning washing machine.  2.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7236 on: February 21, 2014, 11:50:02 AM »

Payback (1999) After being betrayed by his best friend and wife over 70,000$ Mel Gibson is left for dead. Turns out that hes not dead and he quickly starts to work trying to get his money back.

So fairly generic premise but a solid one, who doesn't like a good tale of revenge. This one feels like a hybrid between the great crime films of the 1970's with the style, dialogue and frenetic pace of a film of the 90's. With a huge cast of colorful characters and some effective one liners from Mel this is a very entertaining film. If I hadn't read that this film was taken out of the hands of the director and heavily re shot, I would never have guessed as I think the pace and tone are consistently effective througout. I may check out the darker directors cut some other time but reading the changes made I have a feeling the theatrical cut is the one for me. Plus the theatrical cut is the only one with James Coburn.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7237 on: February 21, 2014, 04:30:53 PM »

To me, every Metallica song sounds like a man furiously yelling at his malfunctioning washing machine.

TeddyR That's the best description of their music that I've read in a while. Thanks for the chuckle.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7238 on: February 22, 2014, 09:57:41 AM »

"Death Wish V: The Face of Death" (1994) Charles Bronson upholds his title as Hollywood's Most Badass Senior Citizen in hi fifth and final turn as vigilante Paul Kersey. Paul just wants to settle down with his new fashion designer fiancee, but unfortunately her ex hubby is a big wig in the local mob who doesn't like Paul muscling in on his territory. You can pretty much write it yourself from there.

Cheap shot-in-Canada sequel looks like a TV movie but the violence is brutal enough to satisfy most action freaks. This was Bronson's final theatrical release.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7239 on: February 22, 2014, 11:24:13 AM »

Dream Home (2010) - Here's a pretty insane movie I'd guess a lot of people here would like. I'm not a gore expert but I'd give it a 10/10 on that scale. There are a number of brutal murders and they are all really really brutal and gory. It's almost a black comedy but not in a funny haha way.

Circa 07 the HK housing market was, like ours, skyrocketing. The lady played by Josie Cho who is also the producer (and who is ironically a member of a very wealthy HK family) wants desperately to live in an apartment facing the ocean. She works two different s**tty jobs to earn the money but the prices keep going up and she can't seem to get one: so she kills people who have apartments! I couldn't quite figure out if it was because she was just angry or because she wanted those specific apartments.

The film itself is colorful, stylish and unpredictable with a number of flashbacks and generally interesting scenes. It's fresh, in other words. There's no supernatural stuff. Most movies shot in Honk Kong just show a few street scenes with gangsters shooting at each other or nightclubs with the same gangsters shooting at each other in there. This is one of the few I've seen where Hong Kong as it's residents generally see it is displayed. The lack of space is really palpable.

4.5/5

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 11:30:11 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7240 on: February 22, 2014, 11:41:38 AM »

MST3K: GORGO: GORGO was an attempt to make a Godzilla/King Kong type of giant monster for the British Isles; the plot is predictable and the monster is disappointing. It's really more of a "lame" movie than a "bad" one. Host segments, featuring a guest appearance by Leonard Maltin, aren't that great either. Not one of their finest episodes, but it's still MST3K. 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7241 on: February 22, 2014, 06:36:21 PM »

"Sherlock Holmes" (2009) - Guy Ritchie re-imagines the famed sleuth as a 19th century action hero (played by Robert Downey Jr.) in this overlong, muddled mystery. Downey and Jude Law (as Holmes ' long suffering sidekick, Dr. Watson) make a good team and there are a few cool action sequences but overall this was disappointingly average.

Have you seen this one's sequel, FatFreddy's Cat? For if you think is one is only average at best, it comes off as being far better than its sequel (IMHO.) As I have said previously on this board, there is a rumour that there may be a 3rd film in the series. If there is, I may just go see it, with the hope that Colonel Moran is the chief villain this time.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7242 on: February 22, 2014, 10:02:44 PM »

^^ nope, haven't seen the "Sherlock" sequel... wasn't really planning to since I didn't dig the first one.

"Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl" (2003)

First flm in the blockbuster Disney franchise introduces Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow, a down on his luck pirate captain mixed up in some supernatural nonsense involving a cursed treasure and a vengeful ghost ship crew. Entertainingly silly.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7243 on: February 23, 2014, 06:45:40 AM »

"Death Machine" (1994)

Set in the "near future" of 2003, a crazed weapons designer (Brad Dourif) sics his top secret pet project - a giant killer robot - on his employer's new CEO when she fires him, and it chases her all over the company's high tech skyscraper.
This loud, irritating flick is bolted together out of ideas stolen from "Aliens," "Hardware" and "The Terminator" and it gave me a screaming headache. Don't bother.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 09:30:38 AM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #7244 on: February 23, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »

The Grey (2011): Six survivors of a plane crash in the Alaskan wilderness struggle against the elements to survive. Even worse, a pack of merciless wolves is on their trail. Led by the gritty John Ottway (Liam Neeson), a skilled huntsman, they try to find a way to continue on.

Besides being pretty nihilistic and fatalist, this film just plain is wrong on many levels. The survivors do some things that well seem pretty dumb especially with one of them supposedly being a skilled huntsman with an understanding of wolves. Reality is quite different than what's portrayed here. In fact, the elements and bears and probably more to fear although wolves are wild animals that will protect their territory. Wolves here though are more symbolic of life throwing stuff at us constantly which makes it unbearable and depressing yet we wage on, fight the fight, and continue another day... or we don't. The acting isn't too bad here especially from Neeson, Frank Grillo, and Dallas Roberts. Still on many levels what's presented is ridiculous as the decisions made are dumb ones. A mixed bag. *** out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.