Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:30:59 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2099920 times)
tracy
Inventor of the Turnip Twaddler and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7335 on: March 20, 2014, 01:24:25 PM »

The Ox-Bow Incident(1943)-Two drifters,Henry Fonda and Henry Morgan, are dragged into a lynch mob/posse to find three men suspected of murdering a local ranch owner. The judge orders the men to be brought in for trial but the bloodthirsty crowd,led by the deputy sheriff,rides out and captures the three men at camp. Despite the mob's insistence that they were guilty,some begin to doubt it. However,justice is served(?) and they are hung right there. Unfortunately,the sheriff shows up and tells them that not only are they innocent but the rancher is actually still alive.  A very good film,historically considered a classic and an interesting departure for Fonda.

Yes,I'm fine....as long as I don't look too closely.
alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #7336 on: March 20, 2014, 01:47:41 PM »

MACHETE MAIDENS UNLEASHED! (2010)
Fun, informative documentary about the history of exploitation films made in the Phillipines.

Machete Maidens Unleashed - Trailer

Interviews with Eddie Romero, Roger Corman, and others, plus tons of clips, make this definitely worth it.

http://www.machetemaidensunleashed.com/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004XZ99W8/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7337 on: March 21, 2014, 05:35:32 PM »

The To Do List (2013) - Dazed and Confused meets Not Another Teen Movie. It's not as raucusly hilarious as NOTM or as good a time capsule as Dazed but... just to lay the groundwork here.

The story is very familiar, a girl wants to lose her virginity and goes about doing it and learns  "what's important" (allegedly) and so forth and has funny hijinks. This started out as a little too SNL-y for my tastes but it won me over, mostly thanks to the lead played by Aubrey Plaza. Snobby, left wing writers have their perfect foil in Plaza, who somehow manages to bring warmth and heart to their snarky dialogue,unfathomable situations, and half assed formal integrity (who said "fingerblast" in the 90's?).

There's no nudity but a lot of raunchy sex talk and simulations. If you could stomach something like Bridesmaids definitely check it out. Plaza = greatness

4/5
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7338 on: March 22, 2014, 06:04:12 AM »

"Monsters" (2010) director Gareth Edwards got tapped to helm the new "Godzilla" thanks to this indie hit about an American couple trying to make their way back into the U.S. from Mexico, which is crawling with alien invaders. Not a bad suspense flick but it could've used more monster action.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7339 on: March 22, 2014, 09:52:24 PM »

"Ghostbusters II" (1989) the boys are back and they've got to save the world from the spirit of a vicious ancient warlord. Not as good as the first movie but still entertaining.
This one's a sentimental fave because my friend and I watched them shoot a scene for it in front of the Metropolitan Museum of NYC on a very chilly night in late 1988. Great memories!

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7340 on: March 23, 2014, 06:24:31 AM »

Piranha 3D (2010) - a bunch of annoying MTV type spring breakers are at some lake and a bunch of Piranhas show up and make a smorgasbord out of them. Yay! TeddyR The piranha looked pretty cool and there were some nice scenes with them. The main characters were okay, nothing special but enough to hang a plot off of. I just watched it on SyFy so I missed all the noodity. Maybe have to pick this up on DVD sometime. 4/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7341 on: March 23, 2014, 06:45:24 AM »

"Fright Night" (1985) A high schooler suspects that his new next door neighbor is a vampire and enlists  a has-been horror movie actor to help him destroy it. This fun cult classic 80s horror comedy is still holding up well after all these years.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7342 on: March 23, 2014, 08:29:33 AM »

I finally saw FROZEN Friday night and thoroughly enjoyed it - great music numbers, stunning visuals, and a brisk little plot. One of the best Disney films
I've seen in awhile.

Then I watched Lloyd Kaufman's RETURN TO NUKE'EM HIGH PART I.  It was a return to the vintage Troma formula - lots of fart jokes, bashing of corporate America, totally one-dimensional villains, gratuitous nudity everywhere, and a lesbian makeout scene that went on and on and on and on . . .  if you like Troma films, it was a classic, if you find Troma's stuff to be offensive and disgusting, you'll be nauseated.  I'm kinda halfway between those two points - I used to love Troma movies in college, but they have waxed a little old with me now.  Still had a few laugh-inducing scenes, though - the mutated glee club was probably the best thing in the whole movie.  Once they consumed radioactive food from the cafeteria, suddenly they could SING!  Unfortunately they usually did it while murdering and terrorizing innocent locals - if anybody in Tromaville can be described as truly innocent.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7343 on: March 23, 2014, 10:03:44 AM »

NIGHT OF THE DEMONS (1988): Ten stereotypical high schoolers go to a party at Hull House where demonic possession leads to a slaughter. In terms of script and acting, it's indefensible, but it has very good effects and Linnea Quigley's unforgettable lipstick trick. This guilty pleasure perfectly executes the 1980s teen T&A horror formula. 4/5 and if your a fan of this subgenre you might even consider it a 5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #7344 on: March 23, 2014, 12:30:04 PM »

Splash (1984): Allen Bauer (Tom Hanks) is a lost and lonely man who finds his life turned upside down after being rescued at sea by a mysterious woman (Daryl Hannah) who has a shocking secret, she is in in fact a mermaid.

This was a sweet and fun comedy. I recall I quite enjoyed it when I was a kid and I find it holds up fairly well, perhaps just a tad dated. Still the basic message remains. This also has its somewhat sad moments in terms of showing how humanity reacts to that which we do not understand. John Candy and Eugene Levy offer some comedy support and Candy gets to deliver most of the film's best and funniest lines. **** out of ***** stars.

My Neighbor Totoro (1988): Two young girls named Satsuki and Mei and their father move out into the country to be closer to their ailing mother who is in the hospital. There they discover magical creatures named totoros living in the woods that can only be seen by them.

A sweet, magical adventure that transports one back to childhood innocence, this is a wonderful escapist fantasy tale but yet one that keeps some roots planted firmly in the real world too. The huge totoro is a sight to behold in this one as is the magical cat bus. Remember when you were a kid and you believed in something magical and fantastic? This sort of transports one back there. ****1/2 out of ***** stars.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:32:57 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
claws
« Reply #7345 on: March 24, 2014, 02:26:15 AM »

Hotel Transylvania (2012)

Count Dracula, who runs a resort for monsters only, is overly protective of his daughter who just turned 118. Things get complicated when a traveling young man enters the hotel while falling in love with Dracula's daughter.
This was pretty fun and refreshing animation from Sony. Apparently Adam Sandler was behind this and I must say this was the best he's done in a long time. 4.5/5

Pacific Rim (2013)

Giant creatures are destroying the world so humans create giant robots to fight the gargantuan invasion.
Guillermo Tel Torro's most mainstream movie. It's purely popcorn entertainment, and a slight step above Transformers, but not very much. 4/5

End of Watch (2012)

Two cocky young cops with heroic ambitions in L.A. must face murder and madness on a daily basis, while still trying to make a somewhat decent living. When both interfere with the Mexican cartel violence spins out of control.
Action/Drama filmed documentary style. Had its share of disturbing and terrifying moments. 5/5
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 07:05:51 AM by claws » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7346 on: March 24, 2014, 06:19:36 AM »

Deep Rising (1998) - giant sea monsters kill everybody on a cruise ship, and our small group of characters arrive shortly afterwards and of course them ol' sea monsters are still there. I've seen this three or four times now and it's always fun. Nice sense of humor, tons of action, and good characters. 4/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #7347 on: March 24, 2014, 09:33:15 AM »

Frankenstein's Army

I wanted to love this movie.  I wanted to love it so much but ... well, we'll get to that. 

Here's the plot.  It's World War II and a group of Russian soldiers are sent to bring in a descendant of Dr. Frankenstein that's been making his own band of freaks.  The monster designs are some of the best I've seen in a long time being some horribly stitched together steampunk/junyard cyborg freaks with powertools and blades attached directly to them.  The doctor himself is a bit bit of crazy too. 

The problem with it, and what ruins the thing is how they shot it.  It's a "found footage" style movie where one of the characters is carrying the camera throughout the movie. 

Yeah, a high definition widescreen in color found footage movie with clear sound set in World War II.  Now they did have one of the characters say that they'd never seen a camera like that before, but still... I've seen a lot of found footage movies and none of them ever had this highly polished a look to them.  Also because of this, the amount of hoops they have to jump through to keep the camera man alive and holding his camera stretch credibility several times.  And at times the movie even feels more like one of those Halloween Haunted Houses at the fairgrounds where a different monster jumps out every other time you turn around. 

Don't get me wrong.  It's not a horrible movie, it just could have been so much better if they had dropped that gimic. 
fulci420
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7348 on: March 24, 2014, 03:35:54 PM »

The Leopard (1963)

The Godfather, The Age of Innocence and The Deer Hunter are just a few of the films that this Italian epic would serve as inspiration. I remember trying to watch The Godfather as a youth and always turning it off during the opening wedding sequence because I thought it was boring. Years later I appreciated the attention to detail and pacing of what is clearly a masterpiece. This is like 3 hours of that wedding sequence punctuated by one rather impressive battle sequence early on. It's undeniably gorgeously shot and acted but its certainly not for everyone.

Throughout the running time i was anticipating additional layers of intrigue or deception to enter the picture but it rarely did. Like The Age of Innocence the violence here is a different sort. Guns and swords are left for the battlefield and here we see it in a more subtle manner. It may come from a glance, a comment or even a laugh in a memorable scene where we are introduced to the beautiful Angelica. The central theme here is the shifting of generations encapsulated in this quote from the central Prince.

"We were the leopards, the lions, those who take our place will be jackals and sheep, and the whole lot of us - leopards, lions, jackals and sheep - will continue to think ourselves the salt of the earth."

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7349 on: March 24, 2014, 11:30:24 PM »

"Zombie" (1979) a journalist heads to the tropics to help a woman find her missing father and find themselves trapped on an island full of hungry undead. Naturally  hilarity ensues.

Lucio Fulci's lavish "Dawn of the Dead" knockoff set new standards for onscreen gore back in the day, but nowadays you can see just as much blood & guts in any random episode of "The Walking Dead," so "Zombie" feels almost quaint.

That said, the infamous eyeball-impalement scene is still pretty tough to watch.

Pages: 1 ... 488 489 [490] 491 492 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.