Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:00:25 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2100342 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7395 on: April 11, 2014, 09:19:24 PM »

Someone hose that boy down!!!!  TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #7396 on: April 12, 2014, 12:51:38 PM »

Tower of Terror (1997): Buzzy Crocker (Steve Guttenberg) is a disgraced former reporter turned tabloid writer who finds himself along with his niece Anna (Kirsten Dunst) lured into the mystery surrounding the disappearance in 1939 of five people who were then staying at the Hollywood Tower Hotel. The hotel has since become an abandoned relic of sorts with a reputation for being haunted.

This TV film proved better than I expected. It's a neat little spook mystery with some fun thrown in having Guttenberg as the lead. Sure, it's somewhat tame in terms of the scares but what else would you expect from a Disney TV movie aimed at kids? The recreation of life in the late 30s though I rather enjoyed and all in all this is harmless fun. Based on a theme park attraction in Florida. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

The Haunted Mansion (2003): A workaholic realtor named Jim Evers (Eddie Murphy) and his wife/business partner Sara (Marsha Thomason) along with their kids visit a recent contact looking to sell his mansion only to find themselves trapped in an haunted mansion and caught up in a centuries old murder mystery.

This was somewhat disappointing mainly in terms of being slow-moving and some of the humor, especially from Murphy, falling flat. The sets and designs are nicely accomplished and there's some neat makeup work here from Rick Baker. I loved the bit with the zombies in the crypt. Master Gracey (Nathaniel Parker) and Ramsley (Terence Stamp) do prove memorable on screen and do look like they stepped out of a classic horror film. Jennifer Tilly also has a fun bit as Madame Leota. However this never works as well as one would hope and Eddie Murphy just plain can't pull off Bob Hope, who much more familiar with this of role, here. ***1/4 out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7397 on: April 12, 2014, 09:14:44 PM »

Last night I watched PARANORMAL ACTIVITY: THE MARKED ONES.  This latest entry in the franchise features two Hispanic friends who get a camcorder and use it to track the weird goings-on in a downstairs apartment.  A few decent scares but overall, this movie shows the franchise is really running out of steam. Wait till it gets down to the dollar shelf.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7398 on: April 13, 2014, 07:27:42 AM »

"Night of the Creeps" (1986) A college campus is invaded by alien brain-parasite slugs that turn frat boys into zombies in Fred "Monster Squad" Dekker's fast & funny ode to 50s style horror flicks that's riddled with in jokes for genre fans.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7399 on: April 13, 2014, 02:14:27 PM »

Iron Sky (2012) - This is a German I think movie that is similar to Nazis at the Center of the Earth, except they're on the moon. Yes, no scientist detected them there at all. It has a bigger budget and better acting than that Asylum or Syfy or whatever it was movie but lacks the insane campiness. The only jokey sort of thing is the Sarah Palin like POTUS, which is more annoying than funny. I almost turned it off after she was introduced and I don't even like Palin.

The most interesting aspect was how the Nazi lady worked out a deal of sorts with fake Palins campaign person to use Nazi type rhetoric for the campaign which goes over stupendously. This should have been developed more but the film makers didn't have the ability, interest, or understanding of American politics.

There is no nudity or anything. It's a little long and all in all isn't that great but if you liked Nazis at the Center of The Earth you may enjoy it I generally did. It's not nearly as profound as it could have been or as they probably think it is. 3.75 /5
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 02:22:52 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #7400 on: April 13, 2014, 08:18:04 PM »

The Demon (1981) - The link is to Trevor's review.

"A plot? Where we're going we won't need a plot."

The movie starts out with a man abducting a child from a family's home. His face is obscured and his modus operandi is to put plastic bags around people's heads. This leads to a psychic detective finding the family to help them track down their missing daughter. He then proceeds to examine the scene all Frank Black-style. The culprit seems to be a supernatural being of some sort. This is the most information we ever get. Not that any of this matters, because this plot thread ends in a most unexpected fashion and then none of the characters are ever referred to again.

Now we get to our other characters. They are a young school teacher, her boyfriend, her niece, and her niece's new suitor. There is a bit of drama surrounding a mystery man who seems to be stalking the teacher, but we spend most of the hour involved with the nieces love life.

I don't want to spoil the ending, but here's the ending. The "demon" shows up one night and kills everybody. The teacher escapes naked through the roof. She then sneaks into the bathroom, tears down the shower curtain to make herself a poncho. She puts on a shower cap, too. She then covers the floor with soap and turns the water faucet so the sprayer is facing the door. The "demon" breaks in, gets a face full of water, and she stabs him in the neck. I only feel I should mention this because I can not for the life of me fathom the reasoning behind the make-shift poncho.

I picked this cheapo DVD up because the back promised, and I quote, "Contains graphic violence, nudity and explicit language and blood, blood and more blood." I then proceeded to not watch if for ten years.  Well, I have now, and there really isn't all that much violence and most of the deaths are pretty bloodless. There is nudity, and the main star, Jennifer Holmes, is a lovely girl.

It wasn't really bad, it was just more of a "why is any of this happening?" sort of movie. Nothing in any of the plots really relate to anything else. 2 out of 5. Might be good MST3K fodder.

Did I mention this was filmed in Johannesberg? Trevor, should I ever visit South Africa, this is where we're going to need to hang out:

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #7401 on: April 13, 2014, 09:05:45 PM »

I just watched The Spirit (2008).  The whole time I was watching it, I couldn't help but wonder what they hell they were thinking when they were making this. 
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #7402 on: April 13, 2014, 09:08:55 PM »

Believe I have my reaction to that film (The Demon) on this thread somewhere. Yeah this is what I wrote last Halloween I think it was...

This film is pretty much a ripoff of Halloween with some Black Christmas thrown in. For the most part, it's surprisingly dull but it does have some good moments here and there especially during its climax as the masked Demon hunts two girls, in various states of undress, throughout a large house.

Anyways watched the following last night:

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (1996): Mole (Steve Coogan) seeks out Mr. Toad (Terry Jones) after his house is mysteriously smashed in. Eventually we learn that Toad has sold his property where Mole lived to nefarious weasels in order to finance the latest fad he's gotten into. When he tires of that, Toad turns his next out of control obsession towards motorcars. Meanwhile Mole meets up with friends Rat (Eric Idle) and Badger (Nicol Williamson) who set out to try and convince Toad to help them get back Mole's property from the evil weasels who have even more nefarious plans for Mr. Toad and his friends.

This sounds better than it actually is. It's basically a film that takes Wind in the Willows characters and places them inside a wild, Looney Tunes-esque or perhaps Animaniacs style setting. The weasels are completely over the top villains who come across as a mix between fascists and tech-loving nuts. The best bits here involve Jones' portrayal as Mr. Toad who's frequently funny and amusing here whether singing songs or just going nuts. Yeah, this film does have a wild, frantic energy going on. Also memorable albeit in a short appearance is John Cleese as Toad's lawyer. Has its moments but at times it just doesn't quite work as well as one would like. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

Tangled (2010): Locked away from the world in a hidden away tower, Rapunzel (voiced by Mandy Moore) who possesses magical hair dreams about the outside world only for to quickly find herself thrust within it when an on the run thief/rogue named Flynn Rider (voiced by Zachary Levi) decides to seek refuge in her tower. Soon the pair find themselves on the run not only from Rider's many enemies but also from Mother Grothel (Donna Murphy) who has ulterior motives for seeking Rapunzel.

This was a fun, funny ride. A nice take on the Rapunzel story that manages to get in the expected traditional Disney princess moments but nevertheless manages to add some modern humor, action, and many more modern touches as well. Good stuff, perhaps the best looking computer animated movie. **** out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #7403 on: April 13, 2014, 09:09:53 PM »

The Purge, starring Ethan Hawke.  All crime including theft, rape and murder is legal for 12 hours over the course of one night.  Ethan Hawke is a family man who safely secures his house.  His son sees a bloody stranger in the street crying for help and unlocks the security system to allow him in.  A group of purgers wants the bloody man released back to them.

The rest of the film is about the purgers getting in the house, and the tension between the bloody stranger who Hawke sees as a threat to his family.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7404 on: April 14, 2014, 05:46:34 AM »

"My Amityville Horror" (2012) - a fairly dry documentary about Daniel Lutz, the now grown son of George and Kathy Lutz of "Amityville Horror" fame, and how the "Horror" experience is still affecting his life 35 years later. Long story short: it screwed him up. There, I just saved you 90 minutes of your life. Daniel comes off as a pretty obnoxious guy thru most of the film so it's kind of hard to have any sympathy for him.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7405 on: April 14, 2014, 06:28:07 AM »

I then proceeded to not watch if for ten years. 

I bought that and made it maybe 20 minutes into it and it's been sitting on my shelf for about five years since then lol. I really should make the effort to finish it...one of these days.

Watched Buried Alive (2007) again last night. It's a fun little slasher about some kids who go to a cabin out in the desert and there's some legend about a previous owner burying his wife alive and now her demon ghost is back looking for revenge against all his descendants. And everybody else too. Good characters, had a fun time spending 90 minutes with them. Some rather chuckle-inducing kills, like one guy who gets split in two from head to toe with an axe. Then the killer puts his right half in the car and throughout the next hour quite a few people walk past the car assuming he's alive BounceGiggle 4/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7406 on: April 15, 2014, 07:04:58 AM »

The Glass House (2001) - a teenage girl and her little brother go to live with some foster parents after their own parents are killed in a car crash. At first everything seems fine, they live in a fabulous house in Malibu and their foster parents seem very nice and hospitable. It doesn't take long though before we find out things are not as they seem - the woman is a drug addict and the guy owes a million dollars to some loan sharks who are growing very impatient with him. And it's just downhill from there. I really liked this, it's a great little slow-burn thriller with a very exciting climax. The main girl was pretty good and the foster parents were excellent in their spookiness concealed behind a facade of friendliness. Bruce Dern puts in a good performance as the estate lawyer as well. Overall a good movie with a fair amount of depth to it. 4.5/5.

Mega Python vs. Gatoroid (2011) - large pythons are infesting the Everglades swamps of Florida, so (naturally) they feed steroids to the crocodiles in order to combat them. But the croc's lay eggs, the pythons eat them, and soon they've grown to gigantic size as well. And we're counting on Tiffany and Debbie Gibson to save the day. Things are looking grim for the ol' human species Bluesad This was just dumb fun, Gibson was a bit annoying and all the CGI looked like it was done on an iPad, but that just added to the stupid charm. 3/5.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:07:11 AM by Jack » Logged

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7407 on: April 15, 2014, 09:37:38 PM »

"Mouse Hunt" (1997)- in this dark slapstick comedy by Gore "Pirates of the Caribbean" Verbinski, two quarrelling brothers inherit a valuable old house... but before they can auction it off and cash in, they have to evict its occupant - a remarkably resilient rodent. Cartoonish "Home Alone" style mayhem and destruction follows. My kids thought it was a hoot.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7408 on: April 16, 2014, 06:58:40 AM »

Frankenstein's Army (2013) - a group of Russian soldiers on a scouting mission in Germany come across a small town where Dr. Frankenstein has joined the war effort and is creating some truly awesome creatures. I really liked this. The creatures are by far the best part, really retro nightmare stuff. The characters were just a bunch of undisciplined soldiers constantly fighting amongst themselves and it was all done in a rather unconvincing found footage style. But still worth it for the creatures, they were cool as hell. 4/5.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7409 on: April 16, 2014, 10:51:53 PM »

"Red Scorpion" (1988) a Soviet super soldier (Dolph Lundgren) is sent to Africa to assassinate a local resistance leader, but he has a change of heart and helps wage war against his former Comrades. A bit overlong but the constant pyrotechnics kept me entertained.

Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.