Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:03:04 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2100760 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7875 on: August 20, 2014, 06:53:33 AM »

Shapeshifter (2005) - a guy who can shapeshift into a monster is put in jail and chases the inmates and their hot guard (Jennifer Lee Wiggins) around for 90 minutes. Kind of a minor favorite of mine, the characters were fun and the action moved along okay. 4/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #7876 on: August 20, 2014, 06:27:04 PM »

Crash of the Moons (1954): Rocky Jones (Richard Crane) and his ally/sidekick Winky (Scotty Beckett), along with friends Professor Newton (Maurice Cass), Vena (Sally Mansfield), and young Bobby (Robert Lyden), must try and convince the inhabitants of two worlds doomed by a collision course with one another to both evacuate before it's too late. This will prove most difficult however as on Ophecious, the world ruled by the all-controlling Queen Cleolanta (Patsy Parsons), other planets are generally ignored and Cleolanta doesn't plan on allowing her world to be destroyed if there's any means, diabolical or otherwise, to stop it.

I found this quite enjoyable for a 1950s kids sci-fi adventure show the episodes of which make up this film. The United Worlds concept is similar to and proceeds Star Trek's United Federation of Planets by many years. The plot is quite thoughtful and the machinations of Cleolanta and others on Ophecious makes for some interesting viewing especially when Rocky Jones must try and stop Cleolanta's plot to destroy the moon Placida, which is on a collision course with Ophecious before it can even be evacuated. However, this does arguably lack a bit in terms of on-screen action and features a bit more talking and thoughtful discourse than one expects from a kids TV show. The inhabitants of Placida which is led by the benevolent and likable Bavarro (John Banner of later Hogan's Heroes fame) and their fate actually rather reminded me of Superman, Jal-El, and Krypton on some levels. The young prince bawling throughout the story does become a bit irritable after a time though and there are a lot of unlikely plot contrivances. Still for the most part, I enjoyed this 1950s kids show space adventure. Definitely helps that Sally Mansfield and Patsy Parsons, both quite lovely in their time, are on board. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

Mole Men Against the Son of Hercules (1961): Powerful Maciste (Mark Forest) and his new friend Bangor (Paul Wynter) are captured by the Mole Men who have been terrorizing local tribes. The Mole Men take them underground to work as their slaves but really it's all a ploy by Maciste so he can attempt to rescue all those kidnapped [including young Princess Salirah (Raffaella Carrą)] and forced into slavery by the evil Mole Men and their Queen Halis Majob (Moira Orfei). Aside from Queen Halis Mojab, the Mole Men are seemingly led and controlled by Kahab, the High Priest (Enrico Glori) and his son Kathar (Gianni Garko) who has designs on winning the Queen's hand in marriage. The Mole Men, while having great numbers and cunning leaders, do have one major weakness - sunlight kills them!

Queen Halis Mojab soon gets hot for Maciste upon witnessing him in action and wants him for herself but isn't afraid to put him and others to the test in daring feats of strength sure to kill a normal man. This film's best moments features Maciste performing said feats of strength. The best and most interesting character in the film by far is Queen Halis Mojab played by the then smoking hot Moira Orfei who seems both corrupted by power yet secretly wishes to escape her underworld domain. I was disappointed with the ending with regards to her as she largely made the movie as interesting as it was. Lots of beefcake (with Forest and Wynter) and cheesecake (with Orfei and numerous other beauties) on display here. Overall, this was a surprisingly zany hoot when it wasn't dull which it is in stretches. Still, I enjoyed this more than I didn't so I'll be generous and give it ***1/2 out of ***** stars too.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7877 on: August 20, 2014, 06:29:02 PM »

Mall (2014)
Not sure if important issues about sexuality raised or just stupid. 5/10

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7878 on: August 20, 2014, 08:06:48 PM »

Dean - no I meant Cannibal Holocaust!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7879 on: August 21, 2014, 06:44:40 AM »

Star Odyssey (1979) - some aliens have sold Earth to the highest bidder and they're coming here to collect people to sell them as slaves on their home worlds. It's up to some super-scientist to round up some folks to defeat the aliens. '70s Italian sci-fi schlock, pretty entertaining for its ridiculousness. One of the female scientists dresses up in a bat girl outfit while working in the lab lol. Then you've got all kinds of irrelevant subplots to kill time and push the nonsense level through the roof. 3/5.

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7880 on: August 21, 2014, 07:50:00 AM »

Pusher (1996) - for 1996 this feels pretty contemporary. In Denmark or maybe Finland, I thought it was Russia for the entire thing, a drug dealer lives his life going around selling heroin and so forth. He gets into it with a big gang guy and has to run around trying to scare up money to pay him back.

This was great and again very forward thinking. I'd guess it was influenced by HK action movies and Tarantino. The stripper girlfriend was tragic and interesting.
5/5
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:48:56 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7881 on: August 21, 2014, 08:41:48 AM »

UNKNOWN WORLD (1951): A team of scientists explore underneath the Earth's crust and discover no mole people or other points of interest. Boring, cheap, and pointless. This "adventure" film is from producer Robert Lippert, which means lots of rock climbing. 0.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7882 on: August 22, 2014, 07:07:09 AM »

Night Fright (1968) - a rocket crashes near a small town and next thing ya know there's a guy in an oversize gorilla suit killing the local kids who are making out in their cars. Kind of a bit of '60s Americana in a way, well perhaps that's stretching it. Super cheesy through and through with WAY more than enough dark and nearly unintelligible footage of people running through the woods as gorilla man chases them. And man do these kids listen to some awful music - like Lawrence Welk was attempting to play rock and roll or something. Ah well it was amusing and I didn't fall asleep during it - 3/5.

- Paulo Coelho
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #7883 on: August 22, 2014, 07:23:32 AM »

Ah well it was amusing and I didn't fall asleep during it - 3/5.

They do say insomnia is common in old age.   Wink

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7884 on: August 22, 2014, 07:30:39 AM »

Ah well it was amusing and I didn't fall asleep during it - 3/5.

They do say insomnia is common in old age.   Wink

TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7885 on: August 22, 2014, 08:58:19 AM »

Night Fright (1968) - a rocket crashes near a small town and next thing ya know there's a guy in an oversize gorilla suit killing the local kids who are making out in their cars. Kind of a bit of '60s Americana in a way, well perhaps that's stretching it. Super cheesy through and through with WAY more than enough dark and nearly unintelligible footage of people running through the woods as gorilla man chases them. And man do these kids listen to some awful music - like Lawrence Welk was attempting to play rock and roll or something. Ah well it was amusing and I didn't fall asleep during it - 3/5.

I reviewed NIGHT FRIGHT here a few weeks ago.

"A UFO lands in Texas. Most of the plot this embarrassing cheapie consists of police combing the woods, desperately searching for shreds of entertainment. 0.5/5"

I always recognize it when people have the same Mill Creek packs I do.  Wink

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7886 on: August 23, 2014, 07:34:17 AM »

"World War Z" (2013) Brad Pitt is a globe trotting U.N. investigator trying to determine the cause of a worldwide zombie outbreak in this fast paced end-of-the-world adventure. Better than I expected.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
claws
« Reply #7887 on: August 23, 2014, 08:02:57 AM »

0.5/5

That about nails my rating for that movie as well. I admire Jack's ability to find entertainment in Night Fright  Thumbup TongueOut
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7888 on: August 23, 2014, 11:04:17 AM »

"Jedi Junkies" (2010) entertaining low budget doc about diehard "Star Wars" fans, profiling an odd assortment of obsessed memorabilia collectors, cosplayers and fan-film makers. As you might expect, some interviews will make you think "hey, that's pretty cool," while others will make you grateful that they don't live next door to you.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7889 on: August 23, 2014, 11:56:33 AM »

0.5/5

That about nails my rating for that movie as well. I admire Jack's ability to find entertainment in Night Fright  Thumbup TongueOut

Well it's partially because of the quaint '60s atmosphere, partly because it's just so stupid it's funny, but mostly because I'm a little...strange  TeddyR

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 ... 524 525 [526] 527 528 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.