Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:53:51 PM
713371 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2100904 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #8805 on: May 21, 2015, 06:59:05 PM »

Transmorphers (2007): An invading race of alien robots conquer the Earth and force humanity into hiding underground. Finally after hundreds of years, humanity decides to fight back against the machines.

Yeah this was yet another incredibly bad direct to video release from the Asylum. It rips-off elements of Aliens, Starship Troopers, The Terminator films, The Matrix sequels, Star Wars, and of course Transformers. Overall its plot is most similar to the Matrix sequels. The acting in this movie reminds me of Plan 9 From Outer Space only its arguably even worse. The CGI FX are terrible looking and the robots look laughably bad and unrealistic. The FX here in fact rather reminded me somewhat of Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future only those FX were cutting edge back in the late 1980s and its characters were far cooler. Also this proves a tough slug to get through in terms of its ridiculous plot with superior robots seemingly having no clue how to wipe out a minuscule human resistance force. The only positives I can say about this is I liked some its concept look and design (in fact an animated version of these robots and this futuristic world might have been kind of cool). This live action version though is atrocious. * out of ***** stars.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 10:20:25 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8806 on: May 21, 2015, 07:41:07 PM »

I just watched WOMAN IN BLACK II - ANGEL OF DEATH.

Lordy, what a snoozefest!
First of all, the plot was glacially slow, you hardly ever got to see the title character,
the lead actress was from the Kristen Stewart school of Personal Magnetism, and the
whole stinking thing was TOO DARNED DARK!  Even watching it in a room with the
lights off and the shades drawn, I could barely see what was going on.  I kept wanting
to yell: "Someone grab a flashlight!!"

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
etmoviesb
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8807 on: May 21, 2015, 08:48:54 PM »

Shaolin Drunkard [1983], it is another Hong Kong kungfu comedy with same actors of Drunken Wu Tang. Wikipedia states: "This very strange movie shows the sort of thing Yuen Woo-ping will do when he is left to his own designs and imagination." But actually, seeing Miracle Fighters and Drunken Wu Tang this was the most straightforward movie*.
It goes like that: a dangerous monster is closed in a prison. But it is freed by a servant of his, also helped by the fact that one the guards is actually outside drinking instead of... guarding.
The monster is really annoyed and wants revenge, being a vampire-like creature it needs a specific blood for his plan: blood of a powerful virgin boy born a certain day.
The monster joins another servant of his that have a nice daughter. This servant plans to use her to lure the victim. The victim is our main character: a really powerful kungfu master/sorceror. But she wants nothing of this game, she really want to marry the main character. Funny kung-fu, strange chinese-like flirting and nice adventures follow. Finally the situation comes at the end at the boy marriage where the monster try to replace the future wife.

* or something is really wrong with my brain.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8808 on: May 21, 2015, 11:40:21 PM »

I watched Spielberg's LINCOLN again tonight.
Such a magnificently done, perfectly acted film about one of history's most
complex and tragic figures.  My wife came in and watched the last hour with
me, and we both bawled at the end.  Again.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
claws
« Reply #8809 on: May 22, 2015, 12:25:59 AM »

Deliver Us from Evil (2014)

Ghastly crimes are committed in The Bronx, and the suspects act like they are mentally ill or on drugs. A hot-headed Cop is investigating and finds a possible connection of the crimes related to the occult. Soon enough he is joined by a young priest who thinks that evil forces are possessing people. After capturing a main suspect an exorcism is performed at the police station.

Inspired by supposedly true events that took place in The Bronx in the late 1990s. Scott Derrickson's follow up to his surprise box office smash Sinister injects lots of action into the supernatural angle, reminding me of Legion (2010). While Sinister was creepy Deliver Us from Evil unleashes jump scares and gross out scenes, which to me are not really that effective. Still a solid genre film with decent performances. 4/5
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8810 on: May 22, 2015, 01:07:21 PM »

Zombeavers (2014) - some rather unlikable girls and their horny boyfriends go to a cabin in the woods for the weekend. And they're attacked by zombie beavers. This was good for quite a few chuckles, not too many actual laughs though. They decided to eschew any sort of character development in favor of making a joke out of everything; oh well. 3/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8811 on: May 22, 2015, 10:37:00 PM »

AVH: Alien vs. Hunter (2007): A group of people struggle to survive as they get caught in the middle of a deadly game of predator and prey between a galactic hunter and a nasty alien spider creature.

Yes this is another entry from the Asylum. This one obviously rips off Alien vs. Predator although its budget seems to have been so minuscule that it sometimes feels closer to a Don Dohler film. This film features an incredibly lame looking galactic hunter and an alien critter that looks like an white painted alien head and upper body similar to Alien but a giant CGI created spider body underneath. Some of the characters prove somewhat likable (William Katt, Deedee Pfeiffer, Wittly Jourdan, and to a lesser extent Randy Mulkey) and there's some mild suspense but certainly it's nothing but trash compared to any Alien or Predator movie and Don Dohler's films I feel prove more fun overall. Fairly forgettable tripe and just not much fun to watch even on a bad movie level. * out of ***** stars.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8812 on: May 22, 2015, 10:58:28 PM »

Kwik Stop - (2001) _ This was kind of odd because it felt like an 80's indy movie. The girl was sort of punk ish and there was 50's stuff on the soundtrack and the dialogue was PG but mildly cerebral. If it had come out in the 80's it probably would have been a hit with me and my friends who watched stuff like Repo Man and Pee Wee's big Adventure but it's a little odd for 2001, post American Beauty and Kids.

A girl played by some girl who is on Without a Trace and shows like that and is good, talks her way into getting a ride to Hollywood from someplace that's not Hollywood with a good looking actor. The two don't have the greatest chemistry and the lack of frank, adult dialogue makes their carnal love affair seem pretty forced but somehow the movie is enjoyable to watch anyway. They have their ups and downs and along the way we meet his ex girlfriend, a pretty but pathetic waitress in a Friendly's type restaurant (she wears a classic pink small town uniform of course) and the girl makes friends, sort of, with a drunk guy she meets at a bar.

It never gets very exciting, but it's sort of colorful and the director clearly cares about the story, which makes sense considering he wrote it and plays one of the lead roles. It's amateurish but shows potential and watching it is like watching a film school final project from 1989. It's not quite there but you know the next one will be. except it wasn't his IMDB shows he didn't really do much after that.

3.5 /5 hard to get lost in but likeable

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:13:45 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8813 on: May 23, 2015, 12:00:27 AM »

Finally got to see AMERICAN SNIPER tonight.  A powerful film about war in the modern world, and how it impacted the life of Chris Kyle and his wife Teah.  Whatever your take on the war in Iraq, this is a remarkably well-done film about a complex and ultimately tragic hero.

JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8814 on: May 23, 2015, 09:08:35 PM »

Boredom (2012): Documentary examining boredom has some very interesting things to say. Boredom we learn is a huge contributor to stress. I liked that they exposed the public school for being the main place where boredom is king. Honestly my own feelings on this is that it's by design by the powers that be to make people more passive, more like drones who will accept the status quo (be it government, big business, perhaps even the Church - those in power) by draining all the energy and life out of youth, and making people want to search for happiness in false ways such as shopping, etc. I think it's a place that encourages people to become factory drone workers or something similar, it doesn't encourage IMO independent thinking and questioning the system like is more likely to happen at a college level.  

This documentary, directed by Albert Nerenberg (who also directed Stupidity and Laughology), was fairly well done and has a great sense of deadpan humor underlying it all. Boredom we also learn contributes for many people towards future risk taking. I thought one woman made a great point saying that even with all today's technology and social media distractions, people are more bored than ever. None of it will ever be as interesting as the real world all around us. There will always be interesting people and things going on in the world but sadly most of us are too distracted by bright lights and flashing screens to even notice. I'd give this hour long documentary **** out of ***** stars.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 09:10:54 PM by JaseSF » Logged

claws
« Reply #8815 on: May 24, 2015, 02:07:41 AM »

Cold in July (2014)

Texas, 1989: Father of a young family of three shoots an intruder inside his home and feels guilty about it. Still, he becomes a local hero. When the intimidating father of the shot intruder shows up the family must endure discomfort and even fear for their own lives. Soon enough they are granted police protection. While cruising the streets at night the young father witnesses a crime, resulting in exposing a disturbingly dark secret..

The biggest surprise was seeing Michael C. Hall after who knows for how many years, and not recognizing him. But it was a pleasant surprise because he has really aged well, unlike most of his acting colleagues from the 1980s (example: Kelly McGillis). As for the movie, I loved it. A crime / thriller set in the late 1980s paying homage to Rolling Thunder (1977). That was pretty neat actually. The movie also provides just the right amount of 80s nostalgia without overdoing it (video tapes and stores, mom jeans, male mullets, White Lions Wait song). 4.5/5
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 08:33:07 AM by claws » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8816 on: May 24, 2015, 09:50:19 AM »

R100 (2013): A Japanese furniture salesman pays a secret society so that dominatrixes will attack him at random times in public, but things go too far when they start showing up at his work and home. Slow and repetitive to start, but builds to a bizarre and twisted finale that plays like it was co-directed by a team of David Lynch, John Waters, and Mel Brooks. 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8817 on: May 24, 2015, 12:22:16 PM »

Pompeii (2014): Milo (Kit Harington), a slave turned gladiator, struggles to save his new unlikely love interest Cassia (Emily Browning), a lady of Pompeii, from the tyranny of a diabolical Roman senator named Corvus (Kiefer Sutherland). However the eruption of Mount Vesuvius makes his task even more impossible as Pompeii begins to crumble beneath them and disaster is descending on them all.

This is certainly by no means an historically accurate film. It follows the popular Hollywood formula of turning an old tragedy into an epic romance picture (i.e. Titanic (1997)). That said, this film is action-packed and exciting. I felt the chemistry between Harington and Browning was pretty good. Forgetting my disappointment with the lack of historical accuracy, I really enjoyed this film as a work of fiction. Enjoyable escapist fare. I think most guys will enjoy this one. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8818 on: May 24, 2015, 11:54:59 PM »

The Boys From Brazil (1978) - Well, it's not a gangster movie and it's not Star Wars but it's from the 70's. How's that for an opening sentence? I couldn't think of anything. If you're Jewish and over 65 this will probably be one of your favorite movies, the appeal will be less and less the farther you get away from that demographic. lol at how bad this review is already.

It's decent, both artistically and morally, and longish (2 hours).  A Nazi hunter who the world has mostly forgotten works to capture a big fish: no, not Hitler Joseph Mengale,who is in Paraguay planning a strange and deadly mission for the still extant Nazis.

Steve Guttenberg, fresh off Can't Stop The Music, has a brief role as a jr Nazi Hunter. Cary Grant is Mengale and Laurence Olivier is the Nazi hunter guy. Grant is very good, I wasn't as taken with Olivier but it was probably hard to add dimension to a character who is a saint essentially.

The story starts off a little confusing but gets more interesting as it goes. It is sort of stuck between being a salute to a great anti Nazi guy and a genuine thriller. The basic story is good, but it's also a little campy and the director seems determined to keep it respectable, which makes it a little different than it could have been. It's not "Nazis at the center of The Earth" in other words.

I enjoyed it though 3/5

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8819 on: May 25, 2015, 06:48:21 AM »

[REC] 4: Apocalypse (2014) - the hot babe from the first movie has been rescued from the zombie-infested apartment building and, along with a few other survivors, taken to a ship at sea for quarantine. So the doctors check them out and find them to be uninfected but wouldn't you know it, they're trying to develop a vaccine and that requires an infected patient, and next thing you know their zombie monkey is on the loose and half the crew have developed a taste for human flesh. This is easily my favorite sequel in the franchise; not as good as the original but a big step up from the other two movies. Manuela Velasco looks cute as ever, but unfortunately they've pulled a Ripley on her and made her tough-as-nails, and gone a bit overboard with it in my opinion. It takes a while to get going but the characters keep it interesting, the setting is great for a horror movie, and the last half hour is a pretty good thrill ride. 4.5/5.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:54:00 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.