Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:38:14 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2101363 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #8820 on: May 25, 2015, 08:03:54 PM »

Point of Contact (2006): Jake McCormick (Buddy Dolan) suddenly awakens from a 12 year coma only to discover an unexpected connection to the dead giving him the ability to see ghosts everywhere. Initially struggling with his condition, he later becomes a ghost hunter but still finds life a constant struggle. However he meets a psychic named Andrea Riley (Stacey Longoria) who might be able to help him.

The first half of this film feels like arty horror nonsense. It actually improves a bit in the second half after McCormick is established as a ghost hunter although initially I didn't realize it was the same actor. Yeah, this is a jumbled mess. I did like the performance of Longoria and there's a great concept lurking in this somewhere. However it's never fully realized here. A lot of this film seems to me should have been edited out and its story should have been told in a more comprehensive fashion. Dolan's performance isn't great either but his character did seem much cooler as a ghost hunter. Needed more work. As it is, **1/2 out of ***** stars.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8821 on: May 26, 2015, 07:25:17 AM »

Devil's Kiss (La perversa caricia de Satán) 1976 - an ex-countess is mad at all the people who didn't help her when she lost all her money or something, so now her and some weird psychic guy (who looks like he spends way too much time in front of a tanning lamp) create some sort of Frankenstein's monster to take revenge on everybody.  Man, this thing almost put me to sleep at 7:30 in the evening.  I'd say there's at best a half hour of movie, the other hour being totally irrelevant scenes that just pad out the runtime.  And the relaxing organ music that just causes your eyelids to get heavier and heavier...  2/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8822 on: May 26, 2015, 07:37:47 AM »

Sunday night I watched a rather gruesome medical horror film called MALIGNANT -
A mad scientist tries to cure a grieving alcoholic of his addiction by taking control of him
and forcing him to commit murders every time he blacks out.  An interesting concept with
some great acting; plot was weak at points.  4/5
After that I watched THE BOY NEXT DOOR - kind of a "Fatal Attraction" in reverse; an
attractive schoolteacher played by Jennifer Lopez has a one night stand with a 19 year
old hottie who just moved in next to her; turns out he is a complete psychopath who
starts stalking and harassing her, threatening her husband that she is trying to reconcile
with and her 15 year old son.  Solid performances; J-Lo stops just short of showing us
her assets.  Nice climactic confrontation at the end. 4.5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8823 on: May 26, 2015, 08:41:46 AM »

THE EERIE MIDNIGHT HORROR SHOW [AKA ENTER THE DEVIL, THE SEXORCIST] (1974): A nubile art student takes home a possessed crucifix and gets sexually harassed by Satan. Italian EXORCIST ripoff with a few memorable scenes (such as a gory crucifixion) amidst the drawn-out sleaze. No classic but watchable for bad movie fans. 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8824 on: May 26, 2015, 11:48:56 AM »

The Ace of Hearts (1921) - like all of Lon Chaney's movies, except one, this is silent. It was pretty dark and had a fair amount of suspense and tension. I'm sure the people who saw it on 1921 were pleased enough, especially as the economy was making it's way back after the forgotten depression of 1920-21 which Warren Harding solved by allowing the liquidation of bad assets rather than trying to create a Potemkin recovery based on artificially zzzzzzz okay anyway

This was supposed to be about a group of Anarchists, but they seem more like one of those secret societies that were popular back then. The Royal order of the Hucamahatcha and so forth. They don't discuss politics or overthrowing capitalism  which is what TCM said and why I watched it but again it was good anyway.

One of them is a waiter at a restaurant that the guy they are going to kill eats at. They draw cards and whoever gets the titular ace of hearts has the honor of doing the deedy do. Unfortunately for the crew, love between two members intervenes and they have to figure out what to do about that.

Chaney is good but his role is a little odd. He mostly just sits there with his incredibly sad looking face looking like a dejected serial killer. Even as a regular person, he looks like a famous movie monster. There's a cool scene of him standing in a rain storm looking in this woman's window. The scene where the bomb is placed and so forth is good. Many movies would later do stuff like that: is the bomb going to go off are the wrong people gonna get hit etc Maybe this was the first movie to do that who knows

not a classic but a cool movie, very enjoyable 4/5

it's on yt

« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 09:10:32 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8825 on: May 27, 2015, 05:54:00 AM »

Jinn (2014) - so there are these supernatural creatures called Jinn and they're waiting around for the time when they'll take over the earth. I guess they keep their eye out for some special anti-Jinn fighter people, and sure enough there's this guy who, once he takes some test, will be able to defeat them. So they kind of bother him by stacking all his furniture up in a big pile and then he meets up with a priest and some other guy who have him take his big test, after which he becomes, you guessed it, a powerful anti-Jinn fighter. This was decent; good big-budget special effects and a few atmospheric scenes. Characters were okay but the plot...well the ending seemed like nothing more than a setup for a sequel and was pretty disappointing as the climax for this movie. 3/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8826 on: May 27, 2015, 06:56:13 AM »

"Neighbors" (2014)
Small | Large

A young couple's tranquil suburban existence is threatened when a fraternity moves into the house next door, leading to numerous increasingly-cartoonish attempts to drive the party animals out.
It's a one-joke premise, but the cast makes the most of it. Your mileage may vary depending on your tolerance for Seth Rogen.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8827 on: May 27, 2015, 08:46:08 AM »

I AM BIG BIRD: THE CAROL SPINNEY STORY (2014): Portrait of the man inside the iconic Sesame Street character's big yellow suit. Harmless, puffy nostalgia. 2.5/5.

THE SLEEPWALKER (2014): Kaia's idyllic life is interrupted when her half-crazy half-sister shows up at their father's old home uninvited, digging up unpleasant old memories. Frequent sex scenes are the major bright spot in this ponderous and pointless drama. 2/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #8828 on: May 27, 2015, 01:26:52 PM »

"Wolf Creek 2" (2014)

Small | Large

I never saw the original "Wolf Creek" but it's a slasher movie, so it's not like there's a ton of back story you need to know beforehand. In a nutshell, several backpackers and unlucky bystanders in the Australian outback fall victim to a psycho mountain man in this Aussie variation on the "Hills Have Eyes"/"Wrong Turn" formula. The violence is ultra brutal and the guy who plays the killer is a frickin' hoot, he's like Crocodile Dundee if he were wacked out of his skull on crystal meth. Claims to be "based on actual events," for whatever that's worth.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8829 on: May 27, 2015, 07:59:42 PM »

Hook, Line and Sinker (1930): Wilbur Boswell (Bert Wheeler) and Addington Ganzy (Robert Woolsey), two fast-talking con artists decide to ditch their latest insurance salesmen scheme when they meet Mary Marsh (Dorothy Lee) who just happens to have inherited a run down hotel. They fix it up and Ganzy fast talks his way to get the press to advertise the hotel as the latest fad hangout for the rich, idle, and wealthy. The hotel turns into a surprise success with Ganzy and Boswell as Mary's hotel advisers. However they do have a major problem, their reputation has also towed most of the criminal underworld into the hotel looking to loot the goods in their safe.

Wheeler and Woolsey, a somewhat forgotten comedy duo of the 1930s, prove fun to watch here even if they do feel like a lesser rip-off of the Marx Brothers, Woolsey is kind of like a lesser Groucho although he might have also been an influence on George Burns while Wheeler feels somewhat akin to Chico, maybe a bit of Zeppo. This story too was clearly influenced by the Marx Brothers film The Cocoanuts (1929). However it is still quite a bit of fun and features many cleverly written comedy situations with some zany lines. Natalie Moorhead memorably plays a villainous vamp posing as a Duchess. Woolsey may feel like a lesser Groucho but he's still surprisingly witty and Wheeler plays clueless love interest really well too. Enjoyable but not the classic a Marx Brothers film would be. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8830 on: May 28, 2015, 12:08:13 AM »

Vipers- I was curious to see this because it's just about snakes, not a ghost land shark or something. They don't even have a plane to be on. Tara Reid and a bunch of annoying and stupid towns people are attacked by cgi snakes from a lab down the river. There are tons of snakes, not really sure why 100 percent of them decided to go to this one place, maybe they are big American Pie fans.

Tara Reid is a decent b movie actress though she's not super believable as a free spirit hippy florist. The love interest is a guy with a weird constant toothy grin maybe he's a ventriloquist. One townsperson goes "we're dead meat we're just dead meat!" as the snake gang starts to close in on them. There were a few touches of syfy color here and there but mostly it was a pretty rote time waster and I was not unhappy when it was over.

2.5/5
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8831 on: May 28, 2015, 06:54:44 PM »

Pompeii (2014): Milo (Kit Harington), a slave turned gladiator, struggles to save his new unlikely love interest Cassia (Emily Browning), a lady of Pompeii, from the tyranny of a diabolical Roman senator named Corvus (Kiefer Sutherland). However the eruption of Mount Vesuvius makes his task even more impossible as Pompeii begins to crumble beneath them and disaster is descending on them all.

This is certainly by no means an historically accurate film. It follows the popular Hollywood formula of turning an old tragedy into an epic romance picture (i.e. Titanic (1997)). That said, this film is action-packed and exciting. I felt the chemistry between Harington and Browning was pretty good. Forgetting my disappointment with the lack of historical accuracy, I really enjoyed this film as a work of fiction. Enjoyable escapist fare. I think most guys will enjoy this one. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

I'm glad you brought this up, JaseSF, because it reminds me that I saw in the theater last year, and how much I enjoyed it at that time, even though, I found it an odd mix of the fictional (the story) and the factual (the paving stones laid in the street, so you could walk across the street, without getting your feet wet by water pooling in the street.) It is also notable, and not to give anything away, but the ending is a big surprise and not something you'd see in most films.

Thank-you, JaseSF
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8832 on: May 28, 2015, 09:14:24 PM »

The Sin of Harold Diddlebock (1947): Harold Diddlebock (Harold Lloyd) moves from unlikely triumph on the football field to a bookkeeping job at a firm with big dreams for tomorrow. However 20 years at the same job has left Diddlebock mild-mannered and uninspired. His boss who doesn't like to keep anyone but young people around decides to let him go at work and dashes all the dreams he had left the main of which was to marry a girl at work. Feeling low, Diddlebock decides to for the first time partake in an alcoholic beverage which inspires the bartender to whip up a new creation he calls "the Diddlebock". Partaking in this loosens all of Diddlebock's inhibitions and he sets off on a wild excursion which leaves him owner of a horse and carriage and a circus full of hungry jungle cats after winning big at gambling. However he soon realizes that owning a circus is no easy venture and sets out on a new scheme to get rid of it and still wind up on top, particularly important to his plan is a lion he takes in tow with him to all the local bankers.

This was a pretty fun movie, almost a throwback of sorts to an earlier era and features wild comedy stunts. All the best bits here feature Diddlebock, his pal Wormy (Jimmy Conlin), and the lion, particularly when the lion decides to climb a nearby fire escape on a skyscraper ending up with Lloyd hanging from the side of the building on the lion's leash. The first 10 minutes of the film shows the end of Lloyd's earlier film The Freshman. Also appearing briefly here as Diddlebock's sister Flora is Margaret Hamilton in a memorable bit role. Of course overall this will likely appeal most to those inclined to have a drinker's fancy imagining good things coming from indulging as opposed to the more likely reality. The stuff with the lion was hilarious although I also felt bad for the lion at points in time. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8833 on: May 28, 2015, 11:03:55 PM »

Sleeping with the Enemy - I had seen parts of this on TV but not the whole thing. Actually, I think I did see it now that I've seen it again, but I'd forgotten. It's pretty much a big budget lifetime movie.

Julia Roberts is married to a rich guy who I think they make too evil. He has a mustache and black hair and does everything short of tying her to a railroad track and twirling the mustache to make you think "bad guy". It makes it hard to understand why she married the guy. She runs away but the same way he's meticulous about his house and the order in his life he is about finding her. It's his evil power he's like f**king Darth Vader.

Roberts and the hero guy have much better chemistry and it does a good job of showing how happy she is with the one guy and how scared she is with the other guy. I think if Adrian Lyne had done this it would have been more nuanced. I kind of wonder how the Darth Vader guy kept a straight face it's such a one dimensional role.

3/5 it probably deserves less but it moved well enough and got the job done
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8834 on: May 29, 2015, 05:54:45 PM »

Peck's Bad Boy with the Circus (1938): Young William Peck (Tommy Kelly) really wants to win a race at camp hoping to win it for the third time which would earn him the right to keep the winner's cup permanently. However, young William is also prone to getting into mischief and trouble. Eventually he decides to visit a nearby circus with a group of his friends and winds up in trouble there too although he eventually befriends a bareback horse riding circus girl named Fleurette de Cava (Ann Gillis), her mother (Fay Helm), and several other circus regulars including Edward Kennedy. Fleurette however is herself a target of Myrna Daro (Benita Hume), a jealous rival of her mother's who wants to steal her spotlight for herself. William tries to help Fleurette and hopes to find a means of somehow getting to camp in time for the race.

This was fairly forgettable fluff comedy stuff aimed at kids. It reminds me a little of the Little Rascals at times. It isn't as good though. This is more in the realm of amusing than outright funny. George 'Spanky' McFarland makes a memorable appearance here as William's most supportive young friend named Pee Wee, who ends up in some rather non-PC situations such as unsuspectingly eating sleeping pills mistaking them for candy and later play handling a starting pistol (I doubt anything like that would make it into very many modern efforts) to remove its bullets hoping to help William get there in time for the race by delaying it. There's some memorable scenes at the circus also particularly featuring lions and bareback riding. Average stuff for this era. *** out of ***** stars.

Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.