Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:28:48 AM
713408 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2101323 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #9045 on: July 28, 2015, 03:20:21 PM »

I watched a recent movie called THE ORPHANAGE today (not the wonderfully poignant ghost story of the same title directed by Guillermo del Toro). A boy named Nathan loses his parents and is consigned to an orphanage called Millwood.  While the psychologist who evaluates him is friendly and sympathetic, the home's warden is an evil sociopath who blames Nathan for all the bullying he receives.  Eventually, Nathan is sent to "Ward B," where something seriously messed up is going on.  Can Nathan get to the bottom of the mystery?  Can Judy, the sympathetic counselor, help him after she is fired for bucking the director's sadistic plans?

All in all, this wasn't bad but it wasn't great.  Had a "made-for-TV" feel.  3/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9046 on: July 29, 2015, 07:23:37 AM »

After School Massacre (2014) - some girls have a slumber party, but one of their teachers at school has been fired so he decides to put on a mask and kill them all. So first you're got 8 hot little chikeypoos bouncing around in their undies, then there's 7 hot little chikeypoos bouncing around in their undies, etc. This wasn't really that terrible (well parts of it were) but overall the girls were cute, the killings were a bit creative and somewhat humorous, and well...with a name like After School Massacre I guess that's about all you should expect  TeddyR 3/5.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9047 on: July 29, 2015, 08:46:23 AM »

IF YOU DON'T, I WILL (2014): One day, on a hike, the female half of a squabbling married couple decides to stay in the forest rather than go back with her husband. This is one of those beautifully-acted films about nothing that the French either love to watch, or just love to export to sucker countries as cinema art.  2/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #9048 on: July 29, 2015, 12:21:02 PM »

"Lavalantula" (2015)
Small | Large

Volcanic eruptions in L.A.bring forth hordes of prehistoric fire-breathing spiders from deep within the earth... and humanity's only hope is... Steve Guttenberg and the cast of Police Academy??
The stunt casting alone would make this SyFy no budget spectacular (from the director of the similarly ridiculous-but-fun-as-hell Big Ass Spider!) worth a look, but the movie itself turns out to be an action packed, stone cold tongue in cheek hoot that takes all the shark flicks that SyFy's pumped out so far this year, rolls'em up and smokes'em!!

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9049 on: July 29, 2015, 03:52:04 PM »

I saw the trailer for this one.  It looks like a hoot! TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #9050 on: July 29, 2015, 07:22:15 PM »

I saw the trailer for this one.  It looks like a hoot! TeddyR

It is indeed... and if you want to catch it I believe there's an encore showing on SyFy tonight!!

"Revenge of the Electric Car" (2011)

Small | Large

This intriguing documentary - a follow up to 2006's "Who Killed the Electric Car?" - traces the auto industry's continuing struggles to develop a workable zero-emissions vehicle. The crash of the American economy in 2008 almost kills GM's Volt model while Nissan struggles to bring their fancy new Leaf to market. Meanwhile, zillionaire wonder boy Elon Musk has burned through so much cash keeping his Tesla Motors company afloat - with little to show for it -that many doubt they'll even be able to survive.

My 12 year old - a budding motor head - was watching this on Netflix and even tho I know next to nothing about cars, I still ended up getting involved in this doc. Yes, I'm just as surprised as anyone. Entertaining and informative.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9051 on: July 29, 2015, 09:52:17 PM »

Of Unknown Origin (1983) - This is a unique and fun if not amazing movie about a guy who chases a rat around his apartment. That's pretty much the whole plot. It's like a combination of the The Birds and Moby Dick. Why this psychotic rat is bothering him, an ordinary guy with a great job and beautiful wife, is never explained but he really has no choice but to try and kill it, which he pursues at the expense of his job and everything else.

^this scene actually happens, sort of

It's Canadian and has a kind of flatness too it, def could have used a little Hollywood pizzaz. The extremely hot blonde wife played by Shannon Tweed, this was soon after she first appeared in Playboy, went some ways toward ameliorating that. The ending was almost but not quite great but all in all this is different and worth seeing. If you are a fan of close up shots of fake rats teeth and gross tail and feet then it's a must see

4/5
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:00:56 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9052 on: July 30, 2015, 05:52:17 AM »

Brain Dead (2007) - a group of strangers are trapped at a fishing cabin while alien goo-spewing zombies lurk about outside. This was a lot of fun. The characters had a ton of personality (though the man-hating lesbian could have been toned down a bit), there was a really nice sense of humor about it, and just enough goo-spewing zombie action to keep things moving along. 4/5.

- Paulo Coelho
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9053 on: July 30, 2015, 09:29:46 AM »

THROWBACK was an Aussie horror film about a pair of hapless treasure hunters and a park ranger who run afoul of the Yowie, Australia's version of Bigfoot. The acting was decent and the characters fairly well-drawn, but the Yowie was a guy in a bad ape costume.  They tried to minimize this by having him either out of focus in the background or partially concealed by undergrowth 90% of the time.  It worked well enough to achieve some suspension of disbelief.  Overall not a bad waste of an hour and twenty minutes.  3/5

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9054 on: July 30, 2015, 09:41:41 AM »

Jack - I thought that said God spewing zombie. that would be annoying
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9055 on: July 30, 2015, 01:00:33 PM »

Jack - I thought that said God spewing zombie. that would be annoying

Oh jeez that would be mess of truly epic proportions  BounceGiggle

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9056 on: July 30, 2015, 05:05:54 PM »

DA SWEET BLOOD OF JESUS (2014): A wealthy artifact collector is stabbed with a dagger from an ancient African blood cult, becomes a vampire-like hemoglobin addict, and married one of his victim's wives. Spike Lee's remake of the horror film GANJA AND HESS, cowdfunded on Kickstarter. There is violence and sex and nudity but also a lot of talking and scenes that go nowhere; it combines the worst parts of exploitation and art films rather than the best parts. I don't know if the monotone acting and nearly incoherent script were supposed to be an homage to the original, but it didn't work. Spike, hire some actual actors next time! I know this was a Kickstarter budget, but they'd work for spec just to say they'd worked on a Spike Lee joint! 1.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9057 on: July 31, 2015, 12:16:00 AM »

I watched LAVALANTULA tonight,  it was kinda fun to see Steve Gutenburg as an action hero, reunited with some of the cast from POLICE ACADEMY.  And the effects weren't too bad most of the time.  Great silliness from SYFY!!

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9058 on: July 31, 2015, 11:48:41 AM »

Starship: Rising (2014) - in the future there are two warring factions and we get enough backstory about them to fill a novel. I really had no idea what was going on with all those subplots most of the time. Anyhow one of them has this powerful starship and orders the crew to destroy earth, but they mutiny and so their superiors try to hunt them down. Most of the movie is this starship fighting off other ships trying to destroy earth, then they retreat for repairs, then repeat a few times. Intersperse that with a few ground battles between the two factions that left me totally confused. The special effects - and there were a TON of them - weren't actually that bad for a very low budget thing like this. Acting was a different story altogether. Some of the casting choices were just laughable too. And the few bits of plot I picked up on were completely nonsensical. Somehow though, it was still kind of fun. 3/5.

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9059 on: July 31, 2015, 10:40:22 PM »

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (2007) - This is one of those movies that they made a certain way because they had no money but it works. The rhythm is a little odd at first, it seems like people are spending a lot of time talking about mundane things but it all leads to the overall point that it's in real time and it's like really real except it's not of course.

In Romania, a girl is trying to get an abortion. Abortions were legal in the USSR as early as the 50's but not apparently in Romania. In order to get one you had to go to the underground sort of network women utilized in other places. This often left them at the mercy of unscrupulous people. Besides the fact that it contains Transylvania, Romania doesn't seem like that fun a place, at least not in this era. Also, there were several dogs roaming around in the streets which confirmed my one stereotype I have about it.

Once it settles in the movie is on point. The acting, casting, motivations and everything are believable. You might even feel contact stress from the whole ordeal that happens to me sometimes like "oh God ,here we go" but you don't its here they go and they aren't even real. I almost sent it back after the first 10 minutes because the sort of monotone style was a little off putting at first but I'm glad I didn't. Not a very pleasant subject to make a movie about but they did it right

5/5
Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.