Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:49:28 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 661 662 [663] 664 665 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2101085 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9930 on: September 24, 2016, 10:56:36 PM »

The Phynx (1970) - This was kind of like the Monkees if instead of trying to be taken seriously and having ego problems they decided to make a movie that was wacky and fun like their show. It's edgy and audacious in places, but still pretty PG. There are some pretty girls and some (decent) political commentary type jokes but ultimately it's a light comedy.

A bunch of guys are kidnapped and forced to be in a band. They are doing this so they can play a show in Albania. Why would they want to do that? Well, Albania has been kidnapping various American film legends and icons such as johnny Weismmuller, Joe louis, and Colonel Sanders who all have cameos. The band is the only way America can get into fortified Albania. This is the movie I'm not kidding.

I can see why TCM showed this on their late night weirdo series. It's obscure but it's also colorful and watcheable and even includes nostalgic tributes to old stars. It was tailor made for it. they kind of over do the old star stuff in the end I mean did they all have to have their own corny line? The band don't over flow with personality and the wild edge that starts off the movie kind of disappears by the end but definitely worth checking out

4/5
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #9931 on: September 25, 2016, 07:36:24 AM »

Finally startin' to feel like Fall around here... which means it's time to start setting the Halloween movie mood...

"Dark Night of the Scarecrow" (1981)
A posse of yokels kill a local mentally handicapped man because they mistakenly suspect him of murdering a little girl. Soon the rednecks are being picked off one by one by a vengeance-seeking spirit hiding in the body of a scarecrow. This made-for-TV flick does a nice job of setting a creepy mood and features a great performance by Charles Durning as the leader of the posse.

"Tales From the Crypt" (1972)
Five strangers are drawn to the catacombs beneath a cemetery, where a mysterious Crypt Keeper (Sir Ralph Richardson) spins their tales of woe in this campy British anthology flick from the great Amicus Studio, based on stories from the EC horror comics of the 1950's.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9932 on: September 25, 2016, 10:18:20 AM »

PLAYTIME (1967): A rather plotless day in the life of the city of Paris, with Mr. Hulot getting lost while trying to make a business appointment while American tourists see the "sights" (a series of skyscrapers that look just like the cities they left behind at home). Jacques Tati still isn't funny, and prefers mise-en-scene to plot, but of all his movies this one is the most impressively staged hits its satirical targets the most squarely. 4/5.

THE CREMATOR (1969): An odd Czech gentleman with strange beliefs about reincarnation opens a crematorium on the eve of WWII, but when the local Nazis recruit him to the party, he must decide what to do about his half-Jewish wife. A wartime drama done with Gothic horror movie atmospherics; if Edgar Allen Poe had lived to see the Holocaust, he might have penned a story like this one. 4.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9933 on: September 28, 2016, 08:57:18 AM »

THE BEATLES: EIGHT DAYS A WEEK - THE TOURING YEARS (2016): As stated in the title, it's a documentary focusing on the Beatles in concert until they got fed up and quit touring in 1966. Good home video and concert footage, and of course fans will love the memories, but I miss Paul's clean grandfather. This is in theaters now but if you have Hulu Plus you can watch it at home (like I did). 3/5. 

POSSESSION (1981): A man suspects his wife is cheating on him, but WHAT she's cheating on him with is a surprise. I wasn't a huge fan of this surreal, hyper-melodramatic horror movie when I first saw it a couple of decades ago, but I have to admit this unforgettable dive in the delirium of marital jealousy stuck with me all these years. 3.5/5.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #9934 on: September 28, 2016, 06:27:15 PM »

"Mountain of the Cannibal God" (1978)
Ursula Andress is totally slummin’ it in this Italian cannibal flick as a wealthy woman who heads into the jungles of New Guinea to find her missing scientist husband . As you might expect, lotsa lush jungle scenery, animal cruelty, gruesome gore, gratuitous nudity and violence follow. “Mountain…” looks like it had a bigger budget than your average cannibal flick but it’s still sleazy , enjoyable trash that will make you feel like you need a shower when it’s over.

"The House on Sorority Row" (1983)
A group of sorority sisters pull a prank on their mean ol' housemother which backfires fatally. They try to cover up their crime and proceed with their big graduation bash, but things get worse because someone starts picking the guilty parties off one by one. A mostly forgotten, but effective, lil' slasher/mystery flick that takes a while to get goin' but features some truly sick moments when it finally kicks into gear.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #9935 on: September 29, 2016, 05:37:38 AM »

"Def-Con 4" (1985)
The crew of an orbiting defense satellite watches helplessly from space as nuclear war breaks out across the globe. When they return to Earth a few months later they land in the middle of a conflict between a militia run by a crazed dictator and radiation-scarred "Terminals."
This flick starts out pretty promising but devolves into yet another crappy "Mad Max" post apocalypse wanna-be once the astronauts return "home."
Don't be sucked in by the badass poster art for this flick, because it bears no resemblance to any events in the movie...

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9936 on: September 29, 2016, 09:05:58 AM »

ONIBABA (1964): In feudal Japan, a woman and her daughter in-law eke out a living during a war and famine by scavenging weapons and armor from dead (and sometimes still living) warriors; the arrival of a young man in their deserted village threatens their partnership, and the later arrival of a samurai who wears a demon mask complicates things even further. A slow-developing, atmospheric morality tale set in an amoral hell-on-earth where no one is innocent. 4/5.

alandhopewell
A NorthCoaster In Texas

Hey....white women were in season.

« Reply #9937 on: September 29, 2016, 02:43:09 PM »

BREAKOUT FROM OPPRESSION (1978): A woman is released from prison on murder charges and tries to start a new life, but a jealous teenager targets her for revenge when their boss takes a romantic interest in the new arrival. This thriller/mystery flirts with sleaze, and might have been a minor trash classic if it had been willing to go all the way. 2/5. Not a martial arts movie despite the fact that Mill Creek stuck it in the martial arts pack.

It's also in the DRIVE-IN MOVIE CLASSICS set, where I watched it last week; it's not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wANezj1q7XE

If it's true what they say, that GOD created us in His image, then why should we not love creating, and why should we not continue to do so, as carefully and ethically as we can, on whatever scale we're capable of?

The choice is simple; refuse to create, and refuse to grow, or build, with care and love.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9938 on: September 29, 2016, 06:55:49 PM »

Sworn Virgin - not particularly interesting foreign film about a girl who acts like a man because it's some thing they do in Albania. She comes to Italy and has doubts about that life. She's not very attractive and the story is pretty mediocre. 2/5
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #9939 on: September 29, 2016, 10:16:38 PM »

"Assault on Precinct 13" (1976)
The caretaker crew at an L.A. police precinct  that's due to shut down for good in the morning spends a night under siege, battling against a seemingly endless stream of homicidal street gang members in John Carpenter's cult classic shoot'em up that's still holding up well after 40 years.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9940 on: September 30, 2016, 08:43:52 PM »

The Bedford Incident (1965) - This has a similar theme to Dr Strangelove which I think I saw and also Fail Save which I've never seen: how itchy cold war trigger fingers could set off a nuclear war. It's really pretty good though. Film noir tough guy Richard Widmark directs and stars as a ship captain up in the frozen north. He's obsessed with chasing Russian subs around and his 300 person crew shares his enthusiasm. the parrelels to moby Dick are clear and in fact the source material was apparently patterned after Melvilles work to an extent. The legality of what's he doing is very vague. the two countries aren't at war, it's basically just our insane government and the people they employ living out their demented masculine fantasies courtesy of the taxpayer. even the random ex nazi aboard is horrified at whats going on.

Sidney Poitier is very good as a reporter guy. if you like stuff like The Hill I would highly rec this

5/5
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 09:32:15 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9941 on: October 01, 2016, 01:52:55 PM »

MST3K: AGENT FROM H.A.R.M.: The experiment was a failed TV pilot repurposed as a feature film; it's lame stuff about an unnamed Iron Curtain country developing biological weapons out of spores that they found in a meteorite. The only notable part is bodacious Barbara Bouchet (yowsa!) as the double agent who spends the whole film in a bikini. The host segments, on the other hand, are really good; Mike is put on trial for accidentally blowing up three planets, and gets Professor Bobo (doing a funny folksy Southern lawyer stererotype) as his defense counsel. 3/5.

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #9942 on: October 02, 2016, 07:24:20 AM »

"Iron Maiden and the New Wave of British Heavy Metal" (2008)
Small | Large

A lengthy and thorough "unauthorized" doc about the NWOBHM era and Maiden's ascent from front runners in the British metal scene to global superstardom. Commentaries are provided by noted U.K. rock journalists like Malcolm Dome, Jerry Ewing, and Geoff Barton, and musicians including former Maidenites Paul DiAnno and Dennis Stratton, Brian Tatler of Diamond Head, and members of Samson, Praying Mantis and Tygers of Pan Tang.
With a run time of two-plus hours this doc took more than one sitting to get through and there were some surprising omissions (Venom was barely mentioned, and Raven was ignored entirely!), but overall this was a pretty cool history lesson.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #9943 on: October 02, 2016, 02:17:28 PM »

Ye-es!

See No Evil :
the Moors Murders
as seen thru the eyes of Maureen Smith and David Smith, the sister and brother-in-law of one of the murderers,
which we'll get to later
+ a couple of documentaries on the subject.

I wish I had seen the documentaries, ere I saw the film, as I found the film confusing, even when I am old enough to remember the murders when they happened. Still . . .?! I got something out of the film and the documentaries. One thing being we know surprisingly a lot about what made the murderers--Ian Brady and Myra Hindley--tick.

Myra Hindley
No problem separating this bleach bottle blonde from her sister Maureen.
A psychopath who died in prison around 2002. Though . . .?! toward the end of her life, she seemed to have regrets about her role in this affair.

Ian Brady
Who I had problems telling apart from David, who is the one that turned Ian and Myra into the authorities and stopped their killing spree at 5.
A narcissist  and while it has nothing to do with anything, except his choice of victims, a man who sexually assaulted both his male and female victims, and there are other hints in his life that he was bisexual.
Who is still living . . . still in prison . . .and--apparently--has yet to express any regrets about his role in the affair.

David Smith
While got me was how young he was, as he was not much older than a couple of the victims. By the time he was 18, he had married Maureen and was a father of a baby girl, who--unfortunately--apparently died of SIDS. Then 5 years later, he was divorced from Maureen, as their marriage could not take the strain of what was happening, and who had 3 more children--all boys this time. And while it is not impossible to have 3 children in 5 years, since all the boys appeared to be about the same age, I wonder if they were not triplets.

Maureen Smith
A firmer believer in her sister's innocence then David, which was one of the strains on their marriage.

Ian + Myra = 5 dead
That is the unfortunate thing. If those two had never met and gotten together, 5 people would still be alive, as they probably would not have done it separately, but . . .?! it took both of them to do it together.

1 body has never been found on the Moors. Sometimes you never know what happened to someone.
1 body was found years later. Sometimes it takes years before you know what happened to someone.
3 bodies were found almost immediately--relatively speaking, which leaves a hole that can never be filled.

5 children
As the victims ranged in age from 10 to 17, it does go that a child is someone of 17 and under, and an adult is someone of 18 and over.

What is never explained is why these murders have caught on to the world's imagination so. It is not the number of victims, as both before and after, maybe not in the U.K., but . . .?! in other parts of the world, there are serial killers with as many children credited to them or even more children credited to them, and this is not the only ones--unfortunately--just a selection.

Before--Germany
Peter Kurten
5 children

Fritz Haarman
27 victims 10-22
21 children 10-17 (78%)
average age 16 and a half

After--United States
John Wayne Gacy
32 victims 14-27 (?)
13 children 14-17 (41%)
average age 18 and a half

Dean Corll
28 victims at least 13-20
22 children 13-17 (79%)
average age 16

And while statistics prove that girls are more vulnerable to sexual abuse than boys, except for Kurten's victims, who were all girls, all the victims of the other serial killers, and the majority of Ian and Myra's victims were boys, were boys, which makes one wonder if boys are not more vulnerable to serial killers than girls--for whatever reason.

One more thing I dislike about these films and documentaries, is that we seldom get to know the victim, and not the families and friends, who they talk to, but . . .?! the actual victims themselves. Which may be why a totally fictional work is better at understanding the victim, then something that is non-fictional or semi-fictional, such as Peter Robinson's When the Music's Over, which we'll get to later or that scene in Lair of the White Worm with Kevin (Chris Pitt,) which as an eerie similarity to the Moor Murders.

1st. The female stranger
2nd. The underage victim
3rd. The lure of sex, as in one case.
4th. The strange car that takes one to . . .
5th. The strange place where one will be sexually assaulted and killed.
6th. The disposal of the nude or semi-nude body.
7th. And the disappearance of the victim.

Next time: 2nd verse similar to the 1st or Freak Out or where it all went wrong that night in Houston (Texas) to--at that time--America's worst serial killer.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #9944 on: October 02, 2016, 09:49:26 PM »

"P2"(2007)

A female executive is trapped inside her office's parking garage after hours on Christmas Eve - thanks to a deranged security guard who's fixated on her. An effective, claustrophobic little suspense thriller produced by Alexandre Aja of "High Tension" fame, features a great performance by Wes Bentley as the wack job. Also, damsel-in-distress Rachel Nichols has an impressive rack. Just sayin'.

Pages: 1 ... 661 662 [663] 664 665 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.