Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:09:07 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 795
Author Topic: Recent viewings  (Read 2100763 times)
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #10305 on: March 18, 2017, 06:19:25 PM »

"Cooties" (2014)

Contaminated cafeteria chicken nuggets (!) turn grade-schoolers into a horde of flesh eating zombies, and a group of teachers trapped inside the school with them must find a way out of the building before they're next on the menu.
I'm almost burned out on the whole "zombie comedy" genre but this one was better than expected.  Not only is "Cooties" funny as hell, it has a mean streak a mile wide, features an impressive cast that features Elijah Wood (!), Rainn Wilson, and Jorge ("LOST") Garcia, and doesn't skimp on the gore.  Sick, action packed fun!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 07:30:22 AM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10306 on: March 18, 2017, 07:50:04 PM »

twitter sized review

Teeth (2007) - as bad as the aughts were there were creative horror movies like this. now its all ghost kids w/ black metal facepaint 5/5
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #10307 on: March 19, 2017, 07:30:49 AM »

"The Adventures of Paula Peril" (2014)

Retro-flavored "B" movie junk about a two-fisted girl reporter who tangles with mobsters and a murderous religious cult. Think Lois Lane meets Lara Croft, on a budget of about twenty bucks.

This super-cheap looking indie B Movie was apparently cobbled together from three short films based on an obscure comic book series. It's fun watching "Paula" kick bad-guy butt while wearing tight sweaters and high-heel boots, but the flick suffers from cardboard sets, howlingly silly dialogue and community-theater level acting. Lord knows I've seen worse, but I've also seen lots better.

dean

« Reply #10308 on: March 19, 2017, 07:54:10 AM »

Nocturnal Animals: Short version is I quite enjoyed this but would enjoy it alot more if it wasn't for the fact that the main 'story' is a fiction. If it was just a straight out thriller/revenge film then I'd be all over it but instead it gets a little self indulgent. I don't mind, but it is just a bit unneccessary and takes a little away from the excellent parts with Michael Shannon.

Basic plot; highly regarded artist Susan gets a package from her ex husband who she left in disgrace 19 years prior which is a violent thriller novel he wrote which is dedicated to her. The movie flits between her reading the story (and some snippets of her current life) her life with her ex husband, their courtship and eventual divorce and the novel's story which is a crime thriller set in Texas. Both the ex husband and the main character in the novel are played by Jake Gyllenhaal who is great here. But yeah, flashbacks link into current day link into fictional story. I'd be more invested if the current day stuff went anywhere, but it kind of doesn't.

The standouts: Michael Shannon is terrific as the cop in the novel who is determined to solve a case. Aaron Taylor-Johnson is also terrific as our antagonist. Jake Gyllenhaal as mentioned is pretty terrific here as well, essentially playing 1.5 roles.

End of the day, I dig the aesthetic, I enjoyed alot of the film's stylistic elements and every scene with Michael Shannon is a hoot. Just wish the story was less artsy and had more of a point. Solid B+ movie.

4/5

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10309 on: March 19, 2017, 08:12:58 AM »

The Unnameable: 80's horror movie very, very loosely based on the HP Lovecraft story of the same name.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10310 on: March 19, 2017, 12:11:44 PM »

LAST ACTION HERO: I'd forgotten how bad this was.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #10311 on: March 19, 2017, 03:01:24 PM »

"Alien Vs. Predator" (2004)

A research team investigates a newly discovered ancient pyramid beneath Antarctica (?) ...and discovers too late that they've stumbled into a Predator training ground, so they are now caught in the middle of the hunters' ongoing battle with the Aliens. Puny humans die, much xenomorph butt is kicked and lots of slime is spilled.

Paul W.S. Anderson's franchise-crossover monster mash spends waaaaaayyyy too much time on setup but once the two critters start beatin' the crap out of each other it's entertaining enough in a big, dumb sort of way. The "AvP" comic books were way better than either of the films, though.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #10312 on: March 20, 2017, 03:10:06 PM »

THE HONEYMOON KILLERS (1970): A Mexican-American gigolo scams lonely women out of their savings through a "lonely hearts club" dating service, but one of his homely victims falls for him even after he is revealed as a con man and insinuates herself as his accomplice; a sick love affair develops between the two amid their intensifying crime spree. Based on true events. Ray and Martha are like real life characters from a John Waters script, played for tragedy rather than comedy, and the low-budget melodramatics sells the tawdry desperation better than a more polished film would. 3.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #10313 on: March 20, 2017, 09:17:50 PM »

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014): Facing an unexpected threat/betrayal from the humans they fought to protect (CIA in league with many odd bedfellows), the Autobots are in hiding as they along with the Decepticons are being hunted down one by one. When a blundering inventor named Cade Yeagar (Mark Wahlberg) stumbles upon the find of Optimus Prime, he has no idea of the crazy action hell that would descend upon him, his daughter Tessa (Nicola Peltz) and her boyfriend Shane (Jack Reynor) as numerous forces descend upon them hoping to take down Optimus and the remaining Autobots.

Yeah this was dumb, loud, and a bit of a jumbled mess in some ways as is to be expected from Michael Bay no doubt. The one thing I kind of liked about this was its portrayal of Optimus Prime. Yes the special effects were stunning too and Bay delivers his usual many explosions. I was excited to see the Dinobots and Galvatron but was disappointed we didn't see much of them. These films seem to take a bare thread of plot and wrap explosions and special FX  and endless jumbled action around it but it's just not enough to make up for all that is lacking in terms character development, plot development, etc. Not even Kelsey Grammar as lead human villain could save this one. Still entertaining on the level of don't use your brain and just follow the endless action and explosions only it gets kind of tiresome and hard to follow even on that level eventually. ** out of ***** stars.

Twist (1992): Great documentary tracing the history of the popular dance "the Twist" which exploded in popularity in the early 1960s. I love the music and commentary given by the famous people who were involved back in the era here. Just fascinating and absorbing to watch. Hank Ballard and Chubby Checker perhaps not surprisingly give the most memorable commentary here IMO. **** out of ***** stars.

Don't Bet on Blondes (1935): Bookmaker "Odds" Owen (Warren William) decides to switch from gambling to insurance following the example set by Lloyds of London but he might have bit off a bit more than he can chew when he agrees to insure a popular blonde actress named Marilyn (Claire Dodd) against marriage.

This fast-moving romantic comedy was fairly enjoyable if a tad too predictable. Innocent enough fluff piece but its characters are kooky and fun. Enjoyable. ***1/2 out of ***** stars.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:21:30 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10314 on: March 21, 2017, 02:15:55 PM »

UN CHANT D'AMOUR (1950): 25-minute silent film, the only movie made by poet/playwright Jean Genet. Two prisoners locked in adjoining cells try to communicate, fantasizing about escaping together and making love, while a sadistic guard torments them. Some remarkable images of human loneliness (hands blindly attempting to pass a bouquet of flowers through barred windows) mix with extreme homoerotic content (which got the film banned in the U.S.). Not extremely accomplished, but heartfelt and historically significant. 3.5/5.

GENET (1981): An interview with Jean Genet, then in his seventies, along with some readings from his work. Interesting for scholars and fans of Genet, although it offers little of interest for the novice. 3/5.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10315 on: March 22, 2017, 09:15:56 AM »

The Babadook - no much to say that hasn't been said. It's not what I expected but it's very compelling nonetheless.

A single Mom with a likeable but out of control kid and a job at a typical depressing nursing home has a problem: the Babadook. He's a character in a pop up children's book but he seems to be more than just pop outable paper. OR IS HE. OR IS SHE JUST LOSING HER MARBLIOS

it's the kind of movie you either get or you don't. The Birds was an amazing movie about how horror comes out of nowhere and embeds itself in our life. Something that was just a bird or a cartoon yesterday is all the sudden a monster and you scramble to figure out how to handle it. or maybe it's just about birds attacking people. The Babdook is about depression and mental illness or it's about this ridiculous thing. who knows

5/5
Spiff
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10316 on: March 22, 2017, 09:38:12 AM »

I would have said that The Babadook is largely about the stresses of raising a child with mental issues as is Triangle.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10317 on: March 22, 2017, 10:20:54 AM »

I try to give away as little as possible. years of reading psychotronic has made me paranoid of spoiling movies

also here's my twitter sized review

The Babadook (2014) - a little baby becomes a duke. No, it's a horror movie about this monster guy thing. very accessible/ non fanboy 5/5
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10318 on: March 23, 2017, 07:21:11 PM »

THE GUERNICA TREE (1975): Communist-sympathizing villagers (including an unusually high number of dwarfs) from a small town near Guernica (of Picasso fame) resist the Fascists during the Spanish Civil War. Powerful stuff, but director Fernando Arrabal overdoes his Marxist propaganda to the film's detriment; his surreal interruptions and graphic tortures sometimes work, but the blasphemy scenes are too forced and insistent. 3/5

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #10319 on: March 26, 2017, 08:08:47 AM »

"Dark Universe" (1993)

A space shuttle crashes in the Florida Everglades, and a recovery team encounters the toothy, slime emitting extra-terrestrial that caused the crash in the first place - which naturally is in the mood for a few human snacks after his long space journey.
This ultra-cheap "Alien"/"Predator" wanna-be was produced by schlock kingpin Fred Olen Ray and it basically has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Ignore unless you have an extremely high tolerance for bad movie pain.

Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 795
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.