Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:06:18 PM
713354 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Atomic Bomb cartoon « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Atomic Bomb cartoon  (Read 18627 times)
VogNhymn
Dedicated Viewer

« on: August 18, 2007, 07:23:08 PM »

I saw this on TV as a kid. It might of been a 30 minute show or a movie. Not sure, it freaked me out too bad. It's a cartoon where this, I think, Japanese city gets the bomb. All I can remember is a boy throwing a paper airplane out of a window. There is an explosion and much incineration. Survivors are stumbling around and a person sees a hand sticking out of the ground and attepts to pull the person up but when he pulls, the skin slides off the bones. Any ideas?
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 07:32:21 PM »

I've got a copy laying around and it's been a loooong time since I've watched it, but could it be from Heavy Metal? 

Just a shot in the dark.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 08:06:08 PM »

No paper airplane...but maybe that was in a differnt part of the movie...does THIS look like your cartoon?

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lDFLLKSkUg

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
VogNhymn
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 09:22:27 PM »

I was suspecting Barefoot Gen. But without the paper airplanes and the skin sliding scene I can't be certain. I know it is not Heavy Metal. Thanks!
VogNhymn
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 08:58:31 AM »

I think I might have to buy Barefoot Gen to find out. There are similarities but I remember the animation being not as anime in appearance. Also, this was on television in the early to mid 80's before we even had cable.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 09:00:29 AM by VogNhymn » Logged
316zombie
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 04:26:22 PM »

i think i have this in my collection somewhere...it's on a dvd of"educational"shorts,or maybe propaganda..i'l see if i can find it and get back to you!
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 04:53:04 AM »

Hm, there are lots of Japanese cartoons about or based on the Hiroshima bomb...

I love the apocalyptic "nuclear war" opening to Fist of the North Star. Kinda similiar to that nasty video RCMerchant posted up there.

I believe there were some bombing scenes in Grave of the Fireflies, too, but I doubt a Ghibli cartoon would be that graphic.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 04:57:38 AM by DistantJ » Logged
VogNhymn
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 02:25:15 PM »

It could be an educational short.
I wish their was more Barefoot Gen clips online. To see some aftermath scenes. I found out Barefoot Gen came out in 1983 but I find it odd that that would play on basic TV way back when.
I know it's not Grave of the Fireflies.  That came out in the 90's I think.
Thanls for all the help so far!
kirohime
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 01:33:22 AM »

I'm pretty certain its Barefoot Gen your thinking of, I seem to remember the paper airplane scene but I'd have to see it again to be sure. I have it and will watch it sometime soon to make sure for you.
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 08:28:36 AM »

From the clips I've been watching it sure sounds like the kind of thing to expect from Barefoot Gen, perhaps you should rent it and find out?

I wanna see Barefoot Gen now, lol.
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 09:29:19 PM »

Looks like this one might be solved but I do want to interject about Grave Of The Fireflies.  Grave doesn't have any nuclear bombing scenes, just a few firebombing scenes.  As for Ghibli film not being graphic....I dare you to watch Grave and not want to kill yourself afterwards.  It's actually surprisingly graphic, but even more emotionally devastating than graphic.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
VogNhymn
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 02:29:40 PM »

Well, looks like I am going to order Barefoot Gen this weekend. Hopefully, it'll be the one. That scene has stuck with me forever. Thanks to all!
Not too much into anime but I've been wanting to see Grave of the Fireflies.
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 05:19:22 PM »

Well, looks like I am going to order Barefoot Gen this weekend. Hopefully, it'll be the one. That scene has stuck with me forever. Thanks to all!
Not too much into anime but I've been wanting to see Grave of the Fireflies.

VogNhymn,

Grave Of The Fireflies is one that I recommend to anyone whether they are an anime novice or not.  I lucked into a copy on DVD a while back, and every viewing is an experience to say the least.  My wife refuses to watch it again after seeing it a while back.  I actually once had my parents watch it after they asked to borrow a "drama".

I recommend having a box of tissues handy when watching it. 

DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 05:24:06 PM »

'Fireflies is on my rental list. I'm a fan of Ghibli and the concept does interest me, I just hope it arrives when I'm in the mood for something so heavy.

As for Barefoot Gen, I'm definitely going to give that one a shot, too, although there's no English language version available in Region 2, which is a little disappointing for me since reading subtitles is one of my pet hates.
316zombie
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 06:46:17 PM »

if i may ask,why do you hate subtitles?me,i hate dubbing,i read the subtitles with the english dubbing,if i can,,, Smile
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Atomic Bomb cartoon « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.