Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:57:55 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  REEKER « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: REEKER  (Read 2340 times)
CoreyHeldpen
Bad Movie Lover

I think these komodos need to leave this cruise.

« on: August 19, 2007, 12:27:07 PM »

Oh, it reeks alright.

While browsing through Movie Gallery one day I came upon something interesting. Somehow a DTV horror flick had flown under my radar and made it to the New Releases without me knowing. This certain film it the slasher-flick-marketed-as-ghost/zombie-film Reeker. The DVD case was covered in praise from all kinds of sources. I had to check it out. But, as I said it certainly reeks. It reeks of disappointment and failure.

Some teens break down at a motel in the middle of the desert and have to stay there for the night. Unfortunately some nasty stuff has gone down here and soon enough there's a zombiefied killer doing what killers do best. There's some interesting ideas thrown around here, like how some of the killer's victims live on as zombies who still think they're alive for a little while before finally wasting away, and how the villain's presence is accompanied by a horrible smell, hence the film's title, but all of these neat concepts soon drown in a sea of cliche.

Granted, some of the scares work fairly well, and the bad guy is insanely cool, with his gas mask and detachable hand weapons. Other than that and the fact that the film moves at a decent pace and that the acting isn't so horrible, this film is a mess.

Our group of cannon fodder consists of the chick who's supposed to be Australian but sounds more British, the blind guy, the druggie, the blond bimbo, and the "I'm only here to die" guy. Most will be killed in increasingly lame ways. There's also a lot of stuff here that begs for an explanation that never comes. How did the villain come to be? Why do some of his victims live on a bloodied, mutilated shells of them former selves for a few moments before finally dying and staying dead? Why is his presence accompanied by a horrible stench? Who is this guy who keeps showing up out of nowhere before suddenly disappearing again? Reeker is full of questions like this, but none will ever be answered.

A little bit of imagination and some minor competence is all this film has going for it. If your desperate for a slasher fix but tired of the same-old, same-old, I guess you might enjoy this one. If not, however, Reeker is one scent you won't want to catch a whiff of.

SCORE
 Smile  Smile out of five

"The only three things I hate are demons, malfunctioning robots, and monster movies that don't show you the monster."
Snivelly
Bad Movie Lover

....a heady mix of ignorance and enthusiasm.

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 07:21:33 PM »

I have to disagree with you on this one.  I really enjoyed this one, it was different enough to keep my attention, and I hate slasher flicks.  The twist at the end was cool, the "villian" was interesting, and there was enough gore to keep gore hounds happy.

I will agree on the slow pace, I think the movie could have been shorter.  Some of the acting was what you'd expect for the budget too, especially the girl you mentioned with the changing accent.  But overall it wasn't a waste of time, and I'd sit and watch it again.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't the sport for you.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  REEKER « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.