Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:04:05 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Calling all Geeks ... need computer help. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Calling all Geeks ... need computer help.  (Read 7419 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« on: August 19, 2007, 11:23:07 PM »

That's right I need some computer help ...

Here's the deal I have a SATA drive in a NTFS format that is not bootable anymore it was running XP Pro, I'm getting the old drive not found, which I think means the 0 sector is toast. I had the power flicker here about 10 times real hard, real fast and this computer was turned off but it seems it still got it. I was able to reload Windows on the second IDE drive but the original primary SATA drive is not visible from these new install on the old secondary drive. There is data on there I HAVE to have, I really don't want to pony big bucks to have it recovered, so does anyone here know of a program I can run that will find this drive and allow me to recover the data I need. I've found a couple of program at NTFS.com but I haven't had time to try them yet. Some of the data was backed up, but some wasn't recently.... Hatred

Does anyone know of a way to recovery this data or to rebuild the 0 sector? I don't remember the exact message but I know it's the one you get like when you leave a floppy in the drive ... invalid system disc or something. So that makes me think it's the HDD is bad.

Thanks in advance ...

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 07:35:33 AM »

If the system won't see the drive, it is probably a problem with the electronics on the drive.  You can't rebuild the boot sector if you can't get the system to see the drive.

Something you can try that sounds crazy, but I've seen it work. Put the drive in a ziplock bag, seal it up good and put it in the freezer for about 15 minutes.  When you take it  out make sure to let any condensation dry before you put it back in the computer.  Put it back in the computer and try it out. If this doesn't help and you still can't see the drive, you've got a drive electronics problem or a motherboard problem (but it's most likely the drive).

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 07:45:03 AM »

It will see the drive in BIOS, just will not boot the drive, I'm running a program that is bootable called ntfsreader and I can see the drive and the folders and right now after being up until 3 AM I'm trying to recover some files I have no idea if it's working or not. I just no it's really slow and time consuming.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 07:57:58 AM »

Get a live version of Linux (such as Knoppix) and boot that.  Then you might be able to mount the drive and recover your data.  To do this, you'll need a FAT partition on another mountable drive in the system to write your critical data TO.  But first things first, let's see if the drive is mountable.

If you need, I can send you a Knoppix disk (CD), and we can talk on the phone if you need help using Linux to try to mount that drive.

Norton Disk Doctor MAY be of help if you don't have it and want to spend money on a possible solution.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 08:23:24 AM »

I might do that ...

So far this program I got from ntfs.com will see the drive and will see the files and folders. It's a DOS based program that will read NTFS files and says I can copy those files to a FAT drive. Which I'm trying to do, I don't know if I have actually moved any files or not I mainly need to recover some Quickens book keeping files that haven't been backed up to an external drive since entering a bunch of info ... yes I know stupid. But tis life. Don't have time to worry about coulda, woulda, shoulda. AS I rule a back the info up just got busy and forget to do the last lengthy entry.
If seems the drive is working just not mountable so I figure the 0 sector was fried or something happened to the mtb during that power surge. (So much for APC surge protector.) 

ulthar

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 08:49:05 AM »

If that dos-based program is seeing the drive and the files, it IS mountable.  Just not by brain-dead Windows.

Sounds like you are on your way.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 09:52:39 AM »

If that dos-based program is seeing the drive and the files, it IS mountable.  Just not by brain-dead Windows.

Sounds like you are on your way.

Well right now it's NOT creating the folders on the drive I'm trying to save to, I figure and this is theory only is that the data is on a NTFS drive and I'm trying to save it to a FAT16 drive, that drive does have a FAT32 partition so I might try saving it to that, otherwise I need to put another drive in and format it to NTFS ... I really don't have time fool with this crap right now, but I'm gonna have to. 

ulthar

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 10:03:38 AM »

Uh, I don't think the format of the drive you are reading FROM has anything to do with the format of the drive you are reading TO.  Once read, data is data.

Dumb question:  your destination drive is not mounted read-only is it?  Or permissions not set to read only?

In DOS, are you using copy or xcopy?  (I think those are the commands).

Try creating the folders manually and then copying files.

Really, FAT on destination should not care that you are reading NTFS.  *IF* you are actually reading the data, and not just the directory information. 

HEHE, we may get to go Linux yet.   Twirling

--Real Genius
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 10:38:36 AM »

I'm in a DOS based type program that kinda of reminds me of xTree is you remember it. It is not DOS-DOS ... I had to make it a bootable CD and I'm running it it what looks to be a classic DOS screen. It will show both DOS file names (8 Char) and Long File Names (128 Char) you can highlight a selected file and copy it to another disc, but since this is a NTFS reader (also the name of the program) I'm not sure it can even a read a FAT disc to write to it, because while it will see the FAT drives it can not display the content and I get a message that the program can not read FAT drives, so this is why I think I need another NTFS drive. Make sense?

I use to have Linux a long long time ago when it first came out and I was more geeky then I am now ... but back then the number of programs and the job I had required Windows as many company programs wouldn't run in xWindows.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 10:46:27 AM »

For stuff like this I almost always use ERD Commander.  However, based on what you are saying, have we tried two things:

Are the jumpers set correctly on the second (your old, crashed) drive to make it the slave?

Have you tried getting an empty USB drive case?  You can get them for like $25 at a good computer store.  Then you could just put the old drive in the USB enclosure and connect it that way.  I have one here and use it like that all the time.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 11:17:46 AM »

Hmmm in all the stress and hast I don't think I changed the jumpers, but I'm thinking that are set to CS (cable select) on both the old crash drive and the old working drive.

But since I can't see the drive from that now working copy of Winders on the new install on the former slave (D:\ and E:\) drive which is now C:\ and E:\ and this this program I'm using it's calling the old C:\ .... D:\ go figure.

Do you think it will be visible via a USB case? If I set it to be a slave and I still can't see it in Windows for what ever reason how would it be visible through a USB connection? I'm confused ... and I'm lacking sleep so forgive me if my thoughts wander.

I just don't get why this silly little program I'm using will see the files, (everyone but the one I REALLY need) and not copy it to the other drive. I keep getting a "Failure to Create Folder" error ... I even went in and made the folder for it and pointed it right to it and I still get the error and I try to write to a different drive which the program says to do. (would be stupid to write to a fried drive anyway.)

Anywho ... there as got to be a why of reading this drive in windows and drag and drop the needed files, this program is limited and slow and doesn't read all file types ... it would seem the .qbb is one of those it can't read and that's a QuickBooks backup file ... hell it won't even see the folder it is in, and I know the correct path. Starting to make my nerve ... I need one more thing to screw up and I'm going to snap. (long story won't waste your time with it.)

ulthar

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 12:12:26 PM »

I just don't get why this silly little program I'm using will see the files, (everyone but the one I REALLY need) and not copy it to the other drive. I keep getting a "Failure to Create Folder" error ... I even went in and made the folder for it and pointed it right to it and I still get the error and I try to write to a different drive which the program says to do. (would be stupid to write to a fried drive anyway.)

My first guess for this is because that program is not really reading the FILE, but simply the directory entry.

Since you can 'see' the drive, have you tried running chkdisk (or similar) on it?  Maybe there is a file that has not been closed down properly (and my guess is that is is the qbb file that is not showing up). Run a low level format checking utility to search for bad descriptors and the like, maybe you'll find something that way.

--Real Genius
raj

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 01:39:01 PM »

Cheezeflixz, are you using a free "demo" try-before-you-buy copy of the program?  Some of them are crippled, and will let you see that the data is still there, but just won't let you grab the data.

Another idea:  if you're no longer booting to this drive, then it may need to have the jumper on it set to slave mode.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 02:44:35 PM »

Cheezeflixz, are you using a free "demo" try-before-you-buy copy of the program?  Some of them are crippled, and will let you see that the data is still there, but just won't let you grab the data.

Another idea:  if you're no longer booting to this drive, then it may need to have the jumper on it set to slave mode.

No it's a n full functioning freeware program if I knew of another program that I KNEW would work I'd buy it.

This program is here ... http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm

This is a160gb SATA (7-pin Serial ATA with 15 pin power) drive not a IDE so it does NOT have jumpers on it, the IDE drive I'm currently running is set to CS (cable select) If I could put this thing in a case and run it via USB or Firewire and I knew it would see it I'd do it, but I'm not sure what the issue is with the drive, I only have theories. 

Here's a pic of the back of one and you can see it does not have your atypical 8 and 10 pin jumper sets.

I've had to walk away from it for a bit I have real work I need to do in addition to a few other repairs the lighting and surge took out. Like 3 ceiling fan remote control units. Lord knows I wouldn't want anyone to have to get up and pull a chain ... Lookingup
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 02:46:25 PM by CheezeFlixz » Logged

raj

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 05:57:43 PM »

Damn, well if you're going to make it hard for me, then I'm out of ideas.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Calling all Geeks ... need computer help. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.