Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:01:36 AM
713403 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Hardware (1990) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hardware (1990)  (Read 5190 times)
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« on: August 01, 2007, 11:48:20 AM »

I hope this doesn't count as link spamming.  I write a lot at my blog and the best way to keep the traffic coming in is to blog as much as possible.  Typically, I do a few reviews a week with some news tossed in when I see something cool come along.  Today, I posted a new one about the Richard Stanley sci-fi flick, Hardware. 

I tend to write about a lot of movies people have seen, but the original intent of the site was to draw attention to movies that have been sorely overlooked even among the cult movie fan community.  Case in point, Richard Stanley's flawed but worth seeing sci-fi actioner Hardware.  It's a low budget British production that has been dismissed time and time again, but Stanley is a capable director who has developed a pretty unique style over the years.  While his style didn't fully manifest until the Hardware follow-up, Dust Devil, Hardware is still quite good and worth your time. 

Take a look:
http://www.cinema-suicide.com/2007/08/01/this-is-what-you-want-this-is-what-you-get-hardware/

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 02:54:09 PM »

Hardware is an f'in blast in my opinion.  I first watched it about 15 years ago on some cable station (edited of course) and loved it.  I ended up buying a bootleg DVD version of the film from ebay about two years ago. 

The film actually holds up quite well.  The robot effects are still pretty decent considering the budget and the stalker guy is sufficiently creepy.  The film is an overlooked gem and I would kill for a legit domestic DVD release.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Torgo

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 03:47:50 PM »

Iggy Pop actually turns in quite a creepy performance in this flick (though I doubt it's not that hard for him to do that.  BounceGiggle  )

The R rated theatrical version was cut by a little over 30 seconds to cut down some of the more explicit sex/violence and the uncut version (to the best of my knowledge) has never been released.

Decent little flick though.

The only thing that got on my nerves when I saw it in theaters was the whole "This is what you want / this is what you get" song that repeats over and over and over again at various points in the movie.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 05:22:33 PM »

The only thing that got on my nerves when I saw it in theaters was the whole "This is what you want / this is what you get" song that repeats over and over and over again at various points in the movie.
Ha!  Check the title of my review on Cinema Suicide.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
Torgo

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 10:28:58 PM »

I might pick this used on DVD at some point.  Surprisingly, a used CD store at the local flea market near where I live has a copy for only 5 bucks which is quite cheap as I think that this goes for a pretty penny anymore. But I might be wrong about that. 

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 10:58:43 PM »

It's probably a bootleg Torgo.  Sadly, Hardware has never been released here in the states on DVD.  I have absolutely no idea why, but that is the case.  I had to buy a bootleg myself just to see the film after all of these years.  I wish the Weinsteins would get off of their asses and throw down with an ultimate edition.  Then again, there might not be much of a market for the film.  It's just strange enough to alienate most "normal" viewers.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Jim H

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 03:46:31 PM »

There was a quite interesting interpretation of this film in a review on IMDB which compared it to the story of Adam and Eve.  I found it quite believable.

Hardware has a number of problems, but eerie shooting technique and editing make it hypnotic.  Well-worth a watch.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Hardware (1990) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.