Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:45:34 AM
714329 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Are you guys familiar with this site? I'm a little scared of it. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Are you guys familiar with this site? I'm a little scared of it.  (Read 7717 times)
Hammock Rider
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 21, 2007, 01:03:03 PM »

I am the last person to criticize anyone for their taste in movies. My taste is "rare" enough that I cut people plenty of slack when it comes to something as subjective as movie preferences. And I understand he is trying to render a service to parents who just want to raise their kids "right". But it makes me nervous to think about what might happen if he caught the wrong ear. He considers the Harry Potter movies offensive to God because among other things, there is "broom riding". I'm not trying to get anyone upset or start a bruhaha, but I think this is the kind of thig we ought to keep an eye on.

http://www.capalert.com/

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 01:46:02 PM »

Heh.  I saw this site a few years back after someone here on the board brought it up (Brother Ragnarok possibly?).  I used to keep up with it as I always found the reviews hilarious, especially since they are 100% serious.  I also love how the reviews are filled with bible passages.  Fantastic!

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 01:46:55 PM »

I think this is the kind of thig we ought to keep an eye on.

Why?  Doesn't this fall into the category of "if you don't like what he has to say, don't visit his site?"  I view this as similar to the whole offensive music/tv show/etc thing...don't tune in.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Hammock Rider

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 03:14:38 PM »

Yours is pretty much my philosphy Ulthar I just get nervous about things like this because then I start imagining a world where these very conservative views get melded with government oversight and then the most intersting thing we'll ever see on tv or in movies is when Mr. Rogers changes his sweater color. But that 's probably not gonna happen and even if it did I'm sure an underground movement would arise to keep our beloved Bs alive. Imagine having to sneak out to some dark undisclosed location and use a secret password just to see Attack of the Giant Leeches!

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 03:30:33 PM »

By golly, their rating sytem is just a confusion.  How do you expect befuddled grandparents to understand this?
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Raffine

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 04:01:05 PM »

Question  Name That Movie!  Question

Once with anatomically correct full frontal nudity centered on the groin. While the French fry scene in the trailers was there, a scene without the French fry was also there. [1 John 2:26, 1Ths. 4:1 - 3, Rev. 22:15]

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 04:06:29 PM »

Once with anatomically correct full frontal nudity centered on the groin. While the French fry scene in the trailers was there, a scene without the French fry was also there. [1 John 2:26, 1Ths. 4:1 - 3, Rev. 22:15]

Simpsons Movie!  What do I win!?!?!?

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Raffine

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 04:12:02 PM »

Simpsons Movie!  What do I win!?!?!?

From your quick answer I gather you've actually seen that devil-glorifying abomination that is THE SIMPSONS MOVIE so...
You win a free trip straight to Hell! 
Twirling Drink Cheers

Or, you can trade it for what's behind curtain number two!

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 05:05:06 PM »

I really want to respond to this topic, but I am conflicted. I am a devout Christian, so I support the idea behind this site: to let people know what is involved in a movie from a Christian perspective. However, the reviewer goes overboard (waaaaaaaaay overboard) in interpreting what "goes against" the Bible, and this, to me, does more damage than good to the Christian community. He (they?) comes across as ridiculous and creatively stifling. I had seen this site before, but I went back just now and read the review of Evan Almighty and part the the Harry Potter reviews. Most of the "bad" things noted in the Potter reviews are based on a misunderstanding of Scripture. "Witchcraft" in the Bible is mainly about drugs and what we would now call "alternate levels of consciousness," NOT waving wands and riding broomsticks; that is strictly fantasyland witchcraft.

I'm going to stop here before I get myself too worked up. Don't worry about sites like this if you disagree with them; basically, they simply tell people in the target audience what they want to hear: society is worse off morally now than ever before, and it can't get much worse, so let's all panic together. I would also ask that if you are tempted to simply mock them, be reasonable about it; they are at least trying to right  things that they see as wrong. And remember: your views (and mine) are just as ridiculous to someone else.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 05:35:15 PM »

To agree with Derf, I think a site where those folks who are worried about the moral content of films can get information before showing it to the kiddies is good.  Theres crap I wouldn't want my kids to see, even as I watch it.  But the addition of where it violates scripture is a bit much. 
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »

There is an old saying about religion and politics... so, I'm learning to avoid such discussions. 
As for the website that inspired this thread... Lookingup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 06:24:04 PM »

There is an old saying about religion and politics... so, I'm learning to avoid such discussions. 
As for the website that inspired this thread... Lookingup
I learned this saying fast being a moderate in a mostly extremist town. Just saying the wrong thing to the wrong person can automatically throw you to the same social level as the crazy guy who claims the nieghbors are from outer space.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 06:27:30 PM »

I am a devout Christian,

As am I.

so I support the idea behind this site: to let people know what is involved in a movie from a Christian perspective.

As do I.

and [extremism], to me, does more damage than good to the Christian community.

I agree 100%.

It irks me when people look for a fringe, obviously extreme and fundamentalist site/magazine/whatever, then paint all Christians with the same brush based on that.  Couple that with the fact that just as much effort toward 'censorship' happens in the name of leftist ideology as rightist, and the premise of the accusation falls on its face.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 07:08:25 PM »

Karma to Derf and Ulthar for sticking up for their faith, and thanks to the whole board for not bashing them for it!  Spread the love!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 07:23:17 PM »

Karma ,Raffine!  BounceGiggle

Already said- I'ts a site by fanatics,for fanatics. As long as they don't try to force feed me their views,they are fine with me. I don't give a dam if neo-nazi's got a website-I won't go their...but if they come to me-I'll just tell to f#ck off.

As far as religion goes...if it makes you feel good about about yourself-and it isn't harming anyone else, you can believe in the flying spagetti god. More power to you!  Thumbup  Smile

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Are you guys familiar with this site? I'm a little scared of it. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.