Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:36:52 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Serenity (2005) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Serenity (2005)  (Read 15743 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 05:34:51 PM »

I never watched the series when it came on TV, as I'd never really could get in Whedon other shows (Buffy and Angel), but when a bunch of people I Knew at work who were HUGE Firefly fans kept raving about it, I figured I'd rent one of the DVDs and check it out.

Like others have said, it was a REALLY, REALLY good series.  I loved how they kept playing on the conventions of both the whole hero/bad guy and various other standards you see on television.  One my all time FAVORITE moments was in a ep where they're hired by this gangster fellow to hijack a train.  Come to find out, the train is full of badly needed medicine for the townsfolk, so they decide to return the loot.  Well, gangsters friends so up, for a fight but they're subdued.

Anyway, everyone's standing outside, the ship is nearby, powered up and ready to take off.    Mal walks up to head bad guy, who's tied up, holds out the money the gangster gave them as a down payment and gives this speech, basically saying, "Okay, here's you're money back, so we're all square, we'll let you guys go, no hard feelings, okay?"  The guy stands up and goes, "Save that money for your funeral!  We won't stop until hunting till your dead!" And I'm thinking, "Oh, this guy will be back in a later ep.."

Mal goes, "Ahhh well." and KICKS the guy right into the SHIP'S TURBINE!

I literally had to stop the tape, I was laughing so hard (then I rewound it, so I could see that moment again.)

What thing I REALLY don't get is why Fox screwed the series over so badly.  I mean, from what I understand TV networks mainly care about success, and had this been some nobody I could see why they'd screw the series over without giving it a chance, but it wasn't.  This was a guy who had TWO hit series under his belt, so you think they would have given him some room and leeway to try something new.

(sigh)

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 01:58:25 PM »

I also had never heard of it until I saw the movie, and THEN, a friend told me it was a spin-off of the series. His family loved it, I was surprised after seeing the series, that I had never heard of it. I have to admit, the opening theme music is a bit much for me, and I'm sure unless something really caught my attention beforehand, I wouldn't make it past that. A good comercial would fix that.
I think it's kind of a bummer how some didn't make it out of the movie alive, sucks for if/when they start on season 2 (I'm hoping)

But yea, the marketing, if there really was any, sucked. It's a shame, especially considering how much garbage gets pushed these days.

BTW, anyone else here think the red-head chick Mel was accidentally married to is a total hottie.

*note to self: find out who she is and perv the internet for nude pictures. .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 03:35:58 PM »

ghouck,

Saffron was a great character.  I loved the first episode with her.  There is a scene between her and Inara that could have been the hottest thing EVER.

I also had never heard of it until I saw the movie, and THEN, a friend told me it was a spin-off of the series. His family loved it, I was surprised after seeing the series, that I had never heard of it. I have to admit, the opening theme music is a bit much for me, and I'm sure unless something really caught my attention beforehand, I wouldn't make it past that. A good comercial would fix that.
I think it's kind of a bummer how some didn't make it out of the movie alive, sucks for if/when they start on season 2 (I'm hoping)

But yea, the marketing, if there really was any, sucked. It's a shame, especially considering how much garbage gets pushed these days.

BTW, anyone else here think the red-head chick Mel was accidentally married to is a total hottie.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
BTM

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 05:18:21 PM »

Yes, Christina Hendricks, and no (except for caps from the ep she was in). 

;)

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
steve
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 01:19:55 AM »

you said it about it having some of the best lines, Yaddo 42.

"No power in the 'verse can stop me"

god! I loved that show.
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2007, 07:11:18 PM »

I never got around to watching Serenity - I had been watching FireFly but I found it to be quite slow sometimes so I haven't bothered to watch Serenity yet. People have told me it'd be better to watch all of FireFly first (13 episodes) but I really don't think I can be bothered. I hope the movie has a faster pace.
horseshoe crab
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2007, 07:15:42 PM »

Your loss.
Jim H

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2007, 12:09:54 PM »

Nathan Fillion was awesome in it, and the whole thing was incredibly well written. The one where they steal this antique laser gun must be one of the best heist stories ever.

However, I found this whole SciFi-Western setting too contrived. It is hard to do make a consistent whole of such opposite worlds. Certainly in the beginning, you never quite know what you're going to get: it might be space western, or pseudo 19 Century space opera with ballgowns and duels, or just straight SciFi with high tech, spaceships and special powers. This makes it difficult to get into for a casual viewer. I know it took me some episodes to get hooked, and that was here in Belgium where it was aired on a logical schedule (all eps in the right order, and on a predictable time)

Maybe it helps if you're already familiar with sci-fi westerns in general.  I've seen a few, and I've always liked the setting.  It's a pretty strange idea, but it has been around for quite a while. 

I really enjoyed the series, and liked the movie.  My favorite episode is the one with Jubal Early.  Some of the best lines I've ever heard in a TV show in that episode. 

"They make psychiatrists get psychoanalyzed before they can get certified, but they don't make a surgeon get cut on. That seem right to you?"
Wicked Nick
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2007, 06:26:00 AM »

I only seen a couple of the Firefly episodes and liked what I saw, I wish hey had taken it into a second season but once again this proves network execs have no clue whats good or bad.Its just about the $.
I like the movie, but I felt they tried to cram to much into it. I understand they wanted to tie up loose ends, so I can forgive the overly rushed plot of the movie. I hope they make anouther movie, there are so few good space movies around now days.

Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2007, 09:19:42 AM »

I finally watched the Firefly series and Serenity movie.  Here are my thoughts...

I liked it.  The show and movie are fun and I like the idea of the Space Western.  I'm still kind of confused as to why the show and movie are heralded as the "best ever".  It's good, don't get me wrong but the best ever...that's a stretch.

The characters are well written and I like how they play off of each other.  Jayne and Capt. Mal.  Mal and Inara.  Book and River.  I like how they play against convention (i.e.- shooting the bad guy with a hostage before he can make any demands, kicking the defiant guy into the engine, no sound in space).  The actresses are hot!  Especially,  Jewel Staite as Kaylee.   Buggedout

All in all I enjoyed watching the series and movie.  I'd watch a sequel or the TV show if they brought it back.  I'd give the show and movie 3.75 to 4 stars out of 5.

EDIT:  The thing that bugged me the most is the Doctor and River.  The casting director should have gotten an actor and actress that looked a more like brother and sister.  I'm a big suspension of disbelief guy but they had zero chemistry and looked nothing like each other.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 09:22:40 AM by Oldskool138 » Logged

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2007, 01:00:21 PM »

EDIT:  The thing that bugged me the most is the Doctor and River.  The casting director should have gotten an actor and actress that looked a more like brother and sister.  I'm a big suspension of disbelief guy but they had zero chemistry and looked nothing like each other.

I didn't think they did too bad of a job. Often siblings aren't enough alike, either in looks or mannerism to see an obvious similarity (or contrast). Part of it was that River had her brain partially scrambled, which obviously changed her.

p.s., If you imply that all siblings look alike to some degree, then expect the furious wrath of my sister to reign down an unholy terror upon you. She also doesn't understand that SHE should take it as a COMPLIMENT. .

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2007, 01:02:37 PM »

If you like Jewell Staite you should tune into Stargate Atlantis when it starts back up at the end of this month. She plays the new doctor.

I think such a big deal is made about Firefly is because it's so different than the other offerings in the genre and it was so mistreated by Fox.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Oldskool138
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2007, 01:24:23 PM »

I didn't think they did too bad of a job. Often siblings aren't enough alike, either in looks or mannerism to see an obvious similarity (or contrast). Part of it was that River had her brain partially scrambled, which obviously changed her.

I think the actress who played River looks half-Asian.  She's too exotic looking to be playing the sister of a WASP looking guy.  That's all I'm saying...

He learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature... and because of it, the greatest in the universe........
-Dr. Paul Nelson (Peter Graves)

That gum you like is going to come back in style.
-The Man from Another Place
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2007, 02:41:38 PM »

I didn't think so, until I saw her picture on the Wikipedia. She looks completely different, and I see a bit of what you mean. She's grown up to be pretty good looking, I'm kinda looking forward to seeing her in The Sarah Connor Chrnicles.

Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2007, 01:34:08 AM »

I loved both the series and especially the movie.

The movie tied up a lot of loose ends for me, character wise, although the fates of some of the characters were quite a surprise.

Pity Joss Whedon didn't make any more episodes.  Was it cancelled due to lack or interest on the viewing public's part, or did the execs not like the show's premise?

Can't wait until Whedon brings out his next project.  I'm sure I'll love that as well.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Serenity (2005) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.