Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:02:56 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Anyone ever use an LP, 45, 78 to MP3 player/converter? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone ever use an LP, 45, 78 to MP3 player/converter?  (Read 8013 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« on: August 26, 2007, 01:16:38 PM »

Anyone ever use an LP, 45, 78 to MP3 player/converter?

http://www.amazon.com/Ion-iTTUSB-Turntable-USB-Record/dp/B000BUEMOO

Found this little item while surfing around for some computer parts and wonder if anyone ever used one and if so how did it work?

I have tons of vinyl, much of which has never been released on CD. This thing claims to record 78's too and I have a huge 78 collection of old blue's, bluegrass and obscure stuff I'd love to convert to mp3.

Anyway it's cheap enough at about $100 so it's no huge loss if it doesn't work that well, just wondering if any of you guy used one.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 07:50:11 PM »

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA etc

Don't need this thing ... if you have a turntable and a Y adapter to run the 2 RCA plugs into a standard mic input you can download the software (3.0mb) it's free from Audacity.com and then you have to patch in a lame.dll to convert to mp3. In then BOOM mp3 of a old 45 or LP scratches, pops and all.

Took all of about 10 minutes to hook up the turntable with an adapter, download and install the software and the lame.dll and record a song and convert it to mp3 ... it was gravy. Never done it before and it was straight foreward and a snap.

So if you have a bunch of old vinyl you want to convert now you can provided you still have an old turntable setting around. No amp required, input is low but you can tweak that for high output.

Man now I have my upcoming winter cut out for me as during the cold month when I have little work I'll burn LP's and the like to mp3's ... cool.

edit typo
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 09:02:33 PM by CheezeFlixz » Logged

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 07:59:34 PM »

Yes, that's all well and good if your turntable works, but my old turntable blew a belt right after a FINALLY found a new cartridge for it after years of telling my wife "I'll get it fixed someday."   Hatred

Hard to find parts for those old things.  For $100, that gadget you put up might be worth it.  I could always sell it after conversion and recoup some of the investment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 08:13:22 PM »

Mine is acting a little sluggish like the belt is weak or slipping. Could be the motor ... not sure why it's only about 25 years old. I saw a Turntable at Circuit City on clearance about a week ago, it was cheap never know something like that it might still be there.

Did you check here for a belt?

http://www.vintage-electronics.net/ttbelt.html

Might be cheaper to get a belt, these guys have about all of them.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 10:41:43 PM »

Anyone curious

Here is a sample of really old 45 I've got, vintage 1972 ...

45 to mp3 sample

Now name that tune? It's an easy one.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 11:03:41 PM »

"Guitar Man" by BREAD which reached number 11 on the Top 40 Billboard chart in August 1972... enjoyed that, snap crackle pop. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 11:05:23 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 11:24:19 PM »

Correct a mundo .. told you it was easy.

We'll see how good you do after I burn some old 78's and I'll trying to figure out how to burn cylinders, I have about 300 of those. I have a Edison Cylinder player but I hate to use it, it's over 100 years old and not cheap.

Yeah I'm still messin' with the program it's an open source one and they say there are some plug-in's for it you can download to remove the really harsh cracks and pops. I'll have to see, I don't mind a few as they take you back to ole days.

Later I'm going to run Black Sabbath backwards and look for hidden messages ... LOL. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 11:27:37 PM by CheezeFlixz » Logged

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 12:15:44 AM »

Later I'm going to run Black Sabbath backwards and look for hidden messages ... LOL. 
Lookingup

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 07:05:29 AM »

Lookingup

You know that is a joke, right?

Ah update ... you can with a few minor setting changes record streaming audio crystal clear and convert to mp3.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 02:48:25 PM by CheezeFlixz » Logged

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 04:05:46 PM »

You know that is a joke, right?
Oh yes; y'know the eyes-roll is also a joke (thinking about all the old metal heads who did run BS backwards looking for messages...)

Jim H

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 12:34:45 PM »

Mine is acting a little sluggish like the belt is weak or slipping. Could be the motor ... not sure why it's only about 25 years old. I saw a Turntable at Circuit City on clearance about a week ago, it was cheap never know something like that it might still be there.

Did you check here for a belt?

http://www.vintage-electronics.net/ttbelt.html

Might be cheaper to get a belt, these guys have about all of them.

Vinyl has actually seen a bit of a resurgence, as Gen Xers and some Gen Yers have taken a liking to the format.  It's had a small revival.  New vinyl is still produced, though in limited quantities.  That said, I'd be wary of the quality on that thing..  You might be better off buying a 20ish year old turn table with a fairly recent needle/cartridge, as sometimes you can get medium end turn tables with fairly new parts in the $100 range off places like eBay.

And yeah, it is quite easy to convert vinyl to MP3.  I haven't done much with vinyl, but I have converted cassette tapes (old kids music that I gave to my sister for her kids, stuff that isn't available on CD) to MP3/CD - same process.  There are numerous pieces of audio software that can reduce hissing and popping.
Pilgermann

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2007, 04:46:19 PM »

I didn't realize that this was such a simple thing to do.  I'm going to have to try it out sometime.  Most of my vinyl is readily available on CD but I've got a few odds and ends.

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 05:28:36 PM »

I didn't realize that this was such a simple thing to do.  I'm going to have to try it out sometime.  Most of my vinyl is readily available on CD but I've got a few odds and ends.

You can convert cassette too, I've been converting some of them as time permits, I have tons of vinyl and 200-300 cassette, many I already have on CD and have converted to mp3 but there are plenty I only have on LP or Cassette, even been converting old 78's on a old timey school record player I bought for a $1 at a thrift store.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Anyone ever use an LP, 45, 78 to MP3 player/converter? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.