Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:17:53 AM
713330 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Best KISS studio album. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Which of veteran rock band KISS' studio albums do you consider to be their best?
KISS   (1974)
Hotter Than Hell  (1974)
Dressed to Kill  (1975)
Destroyer  (1976)
Rock and Roll Over   (1976)
Love Gun   (1977)
Dynasty   (1979)
Unmasked  (1980)
Music from "The Elder"   (1981)
Creatures of the Night   (1982)
Lick It Up  (1983)
Animalize  (1984)
Asylum   (1985)
Crazy Nights  (1987)
Hot in the Shade  (1989)
Revenge  (1992)
Carnival of Souls: The Final Sessions)  (1997)
Psycho Circus   (1998)

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best KISS studio album.  (Read 6108 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 28, 2007, 03:26:35 PM »

My personal favorite KISS album is actually 1982's Creatures of the Night.   A lot of people don't care for this album but as I grew up in the 80's I was more exposed to KISS' 80's music so I've always had a particular fondness for their 1982-1985 output especially.

1992's Revenge is also an underrated KISS album IMO.

I would consider though 1976's Destroyer as the quintessential KISS studio album.  Producer Bob Ezrin really gave them a kick in the pants on this album to really try harder in terms of compositional improvements and studio embellishments.   
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 03:29:28 PM by Torgo » Logged

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 04:12:46 PM »

I chose the original KISS (1974).  But, I could really choose any album from LOVE GUN back, and this also reflects when I grew up.  I also like the solo albums.

I played guitar in a band in high and we covered a lot of KISS stuff.  Some of our KISS covers:

KISS:

Firehouse, Cold Gin (the only song they let me sing), Deuce, Black Diamond (to me, one of their best songs of all, especialy with the longer intro on ALIVE)

HOTTER THAN HELL:

Parasite

DESTROYER:

Detroit Rock City, God of Thunder (some)

ROCK AND ROLL OVER

Calling Doctor Love, Mr Speed, Hard Luck Woman

LOVE GUN

Christine Sixteen, Shock Me, Then She Kissed Me

We also did a bunch of AC/DC, some Queen, The Rolling Stones, etc.  Overall, we weren't very good, but we had a blast.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 08:03:35 PM »

What? You didn't cover "Rock and Roll All Night"?
I thought the best was DRESSED to KILL...and the song SHE off that as the best track.
  I was really into this band in about '75...I had posters, a cool Ace t-shirt, and all their albums! They usta have neat stuff come in the albums,like stickers and stuff.  Smile
 And then my taste in music "matured".  Bluesad
Looking back...I really still enjoy them...maybe it's,like,an early second childhood.

ROCK AND ROLL ALL NIGHT>>>

[youtube=425,350]
Small | Large

...AND PARTY EVERY DAY!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
IzzyDedjet
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 09:34:25 PM »

This was hard for me.  I love KISS. 
Love Gun, Great Expectations, God of Thunder, War Machine, Hooligan...Really, until that Michael Bolton tune, I don't think there was ever a bad KISS song.
Hell, Even things like Crazy Nights, Domino, and Unholy weren't bad at all.
ulthar

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 10:41:22 PM »

Hey, RC, "Rock and Roll All Night" is a good song and certainly one of their most popular.

But, watch this and tell me this song does not rock.  This one is not complete, but it is one of the most "edgy," unpolished, "let's just jam" versions I've found.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG_FWQQMxDE

For a more polished version of Cold Gin that shows Ace's whole solo, check out
Small | Large

Ya gotta love that sunburst Les Paul.  That's not Eddie Van Halen style right hand fretting either (the style that makes EVERYONE sound fast), that's flat picking.  And, you can hear Ace's classical training coming out in some of the licks.   Smile

Ace was my hero for a lot of years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
ulthar

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 10:57:45 PM »

Sorry to double post, but I could not resist.

Black Diamond is probably my most favorite KISS song.  To me, it blows all their spit-and-polish later stuff out the water.

Enjoy.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIy3ChsaZ0o

--Real Genius
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 05:50:54 AM »

I agree...the first 3 albums were the best! Ace was also my favorite...I didn't buy any of the solo albums...except Ace's! SHE is a favorite because of Ace's solo on it. Other favorites are the two you posted vids of,and STRUTTER was a BIG one for me as well!
  WOW! Was looking for an early MIDNIGHT SPECIAL video of KISS in the early day's...and DAM!!!  It 's f#cking SHE!!!!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO9nj2CnCeY

They don't have the big stage yet...and the pyros are nil...bare bones KISS! Too cool!!!!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Torgo

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 11:50:34 AM »

One of my best friends of 20 years is a massive KISS fanatic.  He has a huge collection of pretty high quality (for the most part) KISS bootlegs from 1974 all the way through to the reunion tour.

He's also got the Wicked Lester LP which was the band that Gene and Paul were in prior to splitting and forming KISS with Peter and Ace.

I just burned off of him Ace's 1989 solo album "Trouble Walkin'".  Anyone who loved his 1978 solo album as I did would be wise to check out Trouble Walkin'.  It's much better than his Frehley's Comet stuff and is more of a true successor to his 1978 and prime KISS material like Rocket Ride and Shock Me.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Best KISS studio album. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.