Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:39:12 AM
714308 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Joust Going from Arcades to Theaters « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Joust Going from Arcades to Theaters  (Read 3992 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 29, 2007, 09:02:42 PM »

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/transformers_the_movie/news/1666727/

This is either the worst or most unintentionally brilliant movie idea ever.   I'm a long time fan of Joust but how could this make a good movie?

I keep thinking of the Futurama episode in which they did the whole bit on if life was really like a video game........

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 11:31:18 PM »

This is either going to be extremely crappy, or it's going to be another Clue, which was brilliant, IMO.
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 09:52:14 PM »

Well, there's no real story to the video game of Joust. As I recall, it was one of the play-faster-and-harder-until-you-drop games where the main objective was getting the high score. As such, there isn't really any plot to be butchered. That stands in the movie's favor.

At the same time, unless this Marc Gottlieb has enough talent for writing a story and a sufficiently vivid imagination to make it visually appealing, the movie's not going to sell. The "Gladiator meets Mad Max" description holds out the slight possibility that there might actually be something worth seeing about this film, but I would have thought it more encouraging if they had described the story as "Star Wars meets The Running Man" and targeted it at the nostalgic arcade gamers who actually played this game (most of whom--including myself--are over 25). It would also help if the movie were intended to precede the release of a 3D remake of the game; stadium games do appeal to a good many of the younger gamers they are evidently hoping to snag with this film.

I do think a good movie could be made from this game, in other words, but I won't be holding my breath in hopes that it will. Something very entertaining could easily have been made from Doom too, but it wasn't. Hollywood's people who make things happen have gotten very lazy and very sloppy with their work lately.
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 10:08:28 PM »

I kept saying that someone should make a movie based on Joust just to be an ass when people asked me what video games should be made into movies... I guess someone's been watching... and doesn't understand the concept of sarcasm...  TongueOut

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Torgo

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 09:57:23 PM »

I kept saying that someone should make a movie based on Joust just to be an ass when people asked me what video games should be made into movies... I guess someone's been watching... and doesn't understand the concept of sarcasm...  TongueOut

Be careful what you ask for is the motto that I live by more and more as I get older, even if I'm just being sarcastic.   TongueOut

Torgo

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 09:59:19 PM »

Just think of the plot possibilities by looking at that screenshot!!!!!!!!

Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 10:43:39 PM »

Well hey, just imagine how this game could be made to look if it were 3D!

Basic plot of the movie (I'm speculating):

In the future, extraterrestrials have enslaved humanity and forced all humans into a bloody spectator sport in which the human males are forced to battle to the death against strange extraterrestrials whose males are feathery reptilian humanoids and females are ostrich-like birds. Human victors get their choice of breeding partners and other perks, but victory is only temporary and death is the only retirement.

Now, due to a lapse in security, a young human girl and her new reptilian humanoid boyfriend have joined forces and come up with a plan to save both their races from the horrible slaughter of the game. If they can find a way to release the hermaphroditic and extremely fertile extraterrestrial predators known as "pterodactyls" their captors have lately introduced into the game out into the wilds of their alien world (and away from the stasis fields that had previously kept their population in check), these very fertile creatures will soon plunge the entire planet into chaos as they breed out of control.

Little do they know the pterodactyls are sentient, and have an agenda of their own... Will the various races be able to reconcile their plans with each other? Find out in this exciting action extravaganza!

(Actually, I doubt Marc Gottlieb has come up with anything like this. This is the synopsis I'd turn in if I were asked to brainstorm a plot and a DVD case blurb for this movie, though.)
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Joust Going from Arcades to Theaters « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.