Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:28:33 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Video Games Based On Movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Video Games Based On Movies  (Read 10010 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: August 31, 2007, 07:57:48 AM »

I always thought that most movies based on video games always turn out awful.  Yet, video games based on movies were just as bad.  For example, ET for Atari 2600 which I've mentioned before on another thread.  I also recall playing Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure for the NES and thinking that kind of sucked too. 

I do have to say that certain movie games are good though.  I recall playing (of all things) Aladdin for Sega Genesis and it being ahead of it's time sound and graphics wise.  Also, I own a Lord Of The Rings game for PS2. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 11:36:42 AM »

I've seen the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street games on NES.  A friend had them and they didn't look all that great.

I had the Back To The Future game for NES.  I liked it, but others might not.

The Aladdin game wasnt' bad. 

I know they made a game off of The Goonies, but honestly, haven't actually seen it, so I can't say if it's good or bad.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 12:20:18 PM »

Goonies 2 on the NES wasn't a bad game, but it also had nothing to do with the Goonies.  It could have been any half way decent platformer, really.  I guess it was based at one time on a script for a Goonies sequel that never happened.  I also remember it being extremely hard.

I never played Nightmare on Elm Street but I just about jumped out of my skin when I saw a Friday the 13th game.  It sucked.  I can't even begin to tell you how you were supposed to play it.  Jason randomly walks into the scene and you can't do anything but run.  Eventually you find his mother's sweater and if you're wearing it when he comes into frame, he runs away.  At some point you find a machette.

Wizard Video released The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Halloween on the Atari 2600.  I guess the cartidges are really rare and snatch a pretty penny on ebay these days.  I've played emulations.  TCM is ridiculous.  As far as I can tell, you run right or left and try and kill as many people as you can before gas runs out in your chainsaw.  There are obstacles and if you hit them you lose gas.  Or something.  Halloween was a little better.  You're supposed to be Laurie Strode and you find children around the house and get them to safety before Michael shows up and cuts your head off.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
IzzyDedjet
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 03:12:59 PM »

the ones that come to my mind right off are the robocop games and the superman game on either Atari or NES.

I cant really remember much tho.  My head hurts
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 04:07:32 PM »

I have the Fifth Element game for the PS1...a puzzle solving type game mostly.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Inyarear
Bad Movie Lover

Slimo! Slimo! Slimo!

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 11:21:26 PM »

Actually, the Willow video game was pretty good... although it was an obvious rip-off of Legend of Zelda... and it didn't follow the movie's storyline too closely. Then again, how could it? Video games require a kind of open-ended arrangement that movies generally don't have.

Some of the Star Wars video games have been better, though that's mainly because they tell stories set in the same universe as the Star Wars movies, but not the actual movies' stories. The movie-to-video-game Star Wars adaptation for the NES was a somewhat decent platformer, but it did take rather a lot of liberties with the movie's storyline again.

As with video game movies, movie video games are often best when they aren't adapted from just one movie, but from several movies, the way Zombies Ate My Neighbors is. (I could make out at least ten or so B-grade horror flicks that game was spoofing, and there were probably many more.)

I've also often thought that Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on the NES was based more on one of the old movies made from the book than the book itself; the improvisations in the game do sound a lot like something a hack writer would introduce into a movie to pad it. In any case, that game sucks, though it does have some rather interesting scenery.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 10:14:28 AM »

This probably doesn't count, but I have the Ultimate Spider-Man game for PS2.  I haven't actually played the Spider-Man Movie games, but the Ultimate game is decent enough.  There's missions, but in between missions you can free-roam like the Grand Theft Auto games, so you're Spider Man swinging around town.  Sometimes there's a couple of thugs mugging a chick, and it's not related to the actual game aspect.  Fun stuff.  Plus, half the game you control Venom, so you get to attack the citizens to 'feed', and you have to fight some superheros, like Wolverine.  Even one part of the game, you have to save Spider-Man.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 12:30:04 PM »

Goldeneye for the N64 is one of the best games ever made.
dean

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 01:58:01 AM »

This probably doesn't count, but I have the Ultimate Spider-Man game for PS2.  I haven't actually played the Spider-Man Movie games, but the Ultimate game is decent enough.  There's missions, but in between missions you can free-roam like the Grand Theft Auto games, so you're Spider Man swinging around town.  Sometimes there's a couple of thugs mugging a chick, and it's not related to the actual game aspect.  Fun stuff.  Plus, half the game you control Venom, so you get to attack the citizens to 'feed', and you have to fight some superheros, like Wolverine.  Even one part of the game, you have to save Spider-Man.

Spiderman 2 was pretty good, and as far as I know, pretty ground-breaking in terms of how you explore, such as an entire New York, realistic city-scape, and a realistic Web swinging system.  Spiderman 3 is pretty much the same, but much less polished and as such it kind of suffers.

It's still really fun just swinging around the city...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Jason
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 09:02:19 AM »

Yeah, Goldeneye was absolutely amazing.

Also, I remember a Gremlins 2 game for the NES, but doubt it was much good.

Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that Flashback on the Mega Drive/Genesis was based loosely on Total Recall.

"Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up" - Kris Roe, The Ataris
sideorderofninjas
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 10:46:39 PM »

The Darkman game for the NES is awfully hard. 

SideOrderOfNinjas
http://www.sideorderofninjas.com

"Wielding useless trivia like a katana."
the guyver
Dedicated Viewer

RAT! RAT! RAT! RAT!

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 11:50:48 PM »

I was/am addicted to Toy Story 2 for the 64! Can't....stop.....playing!
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 02:23:33 PM »

ET for teh Atari 2600 might have been the first.  That was a right dog of a game. 
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Jason
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 02:28:50 PM »

Ah, I remeber a Days Of Thunder game for the NES as well. If I remember correctly, it was pretty good actually.

"Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up" - Kris Roe, The Ataris
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 05:01:57 AM »

Ah, I remeber a Days Of Thunder game for the NES as well. If I remember correctly, it was pretty good actually.

Yea the game wasn't too bad, but now that I think about it it wasn't really that great either.  I had it myself when I was growing up.  It was hard to play.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Video Games Based On Movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.