Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:45:43 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Beowulf « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Beowulf  (Read 52438 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: August 31, 2007, 01:34:55 PM »

You've read the story of Beowulf, right?  This movie is just like the epic poem, except for the techno music, chainsaw swords, and martial arts.  Oh, and Grendel's mother is a hottie.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 02:43:39 PM »

You do know that Robert Zemeckis has made a new all motion-capture CG version of Beowulf.  Angelina Jolie plays Grendel's mother. It is also in digital 3D.

http://www.beowulfmovie.com/

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Torgo

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 08:57:30 PM »

My friends and I suffered through a Christopher Lambert night of 3 of his lesser movies (which is pretty much all of them with the exception of Highlander) and Beowulf was one that someone brought.

Thoroughly stupid, pointless and technically inept in every way.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 10:13:20 PM »

I wrote a review of it a while back.  Right now, the only things I can remember are:

1) Backflips
2) Cleavage
3) Rust!  Everywhere, rust!

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
steve
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 03:34:18 AM »

dude,

i thought that was rhona mitra!!

omg, i would watch her in anything.  err...as proven by me watching her in this thing...sometimes I don't know how you do it.

i mean, i'm a cop and i face danger sometimes...but...these movies are downright dangerous to your sanity.
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 02:39:38 PM »

I checked out the imdb page of the actress who plays Grendel's mother, and guess what? Most her appearances are in Playboy specials. Talk of astute casting decisions.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 05:23:45 PM »

A number of thoughts.

Tim and Greg? Would their last name begin with the letter "H," as in Hildebrandt?

The main difference between this film and "Krull," is that "Krull" is a good "bad" movie, while this one is just a bad "bad" movie.

This is turning out to be one of the great B-movie cliches, as this is the second time I've seen it, in three reviews. Everybody line up one by one, so the hero can beat the snot out of you individually, instead of everybody ganging up on the hero at the same time.

That three-bladed knife Lambert carries, actually existed. You'd catch your opponents' swordblade in it, and with a flick of your wrist, snap the swordblade, leaving your opponent at a disadvantage.
Neville

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 05:55:51 AM »

I watched this one while in college, I was doing a piece on the original poem and though the film would make a good comparison. So I rented the DVD and coerced my best friend, who had a brand new DVD system, to watch it with me. I don't know what freaked him out worse, what was going on on the giant TV set or that I spent the whole movie taking notes.

Andrew, next time you think of doing a Christophe Lambert movie I suggest "Mean guns". It's bad, but also loads of fun. At least you'll save yourself the aspirins.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
ZScaleKitty
New Visitor

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 09:47:42 PM »

Wow...  I've been visiting this site for years with hopes of one day sending in some of my reviews.  Beowulf was going to be one of them.
Andrew, you beat me to it.   TeddyR   Awesome review!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 09:50:04 PM by ZScaleKitty » Logged
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 12:03:01 PM »

Tim and Greg? Would their last name begin with the letter "H," as in Hildebrandt?

That would be it, except the guy in this movie was lacking the "t" at the end of the name.

Wow...  I've been visiting this site for years with hopes of one day sending in some of my reviews.  Beowulf was going to be one of them.
Andrew, you beat me to it.   TeddyR   Awesome review!

Welcome aboard, ZScaleKitty!  This is one of those bad movies that has a lot of things for a reviewer to talk about.  I still cannot figure out why they had to go and "punk" the whole thing.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 12:07:09 PM »

For anyone who's curious, the only screen adaptation of Beowulf I've seen is an episode of Star Trek Voyager, but I have read the original epic poem.

I'm an english major, I had to.

No movie, 45 minutes or 3 hours long, could be more grueling than this 'classic' work.

10% action, 10% setting, and 80% looooooooong wiiiiiiiiiiindy speachifying.

At most, it's interesting to speculate how Christianized, and how true, the original story might have been.

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 12:15:20 PM »

For anyone who's curious, the only screen adaptation of Beowulf I've seen is an episode of Star Trek Voyager, but I have read the original epic poem.

I'm an english major, I had to.

No movie, 45 minutes or 3 hours long, could be more grueling than this 'classic' work.

10% action, 10% setting, and 80% looooooooong wiiiiiiiiiiindy speachifying.

At most, it's interesting to speculate how Christianized, and how true, the original story might have been.

Gotta weigh in as an English major in opposition.  I think it's a fine work, and I enjoy reading it -- even in verse.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
316zombie
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 03:53:59 PM »

i agree that the movie pretty much sucked,and was very disappointing.i also agree that the poem itself is very cool!and i'm not a poetry fan at all!
ZScaleKitty
New Visitor

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 10:28:55 AM »

I still cannot figure out why they had to go and "punk" the whole thing.

Sure it may of been punked, but maybe Hollywood is trying to make up for this horrible movie:
Blade of the King Concept Film (2005)
Beowulf & Grendel (2005)
Beowulf (2007)
Grendel (2007) (TV)
Beowulf: Prince of the Geats (2007)

Can anyone say overkill?  How many more versions will there be?
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 12:24:57 PM »

You've read the story of Beowulf, right?  This movie is just like the epic poem, except for the techno music, chainsaw swords, and martial arts.

NOT!

Sure, there are some vague similarities, but this is unequivocally NOT the story told in the epic poem.  I'm not sure what the writers were thinking (or drinking), but what they achieved was something that is almost-but-not-quite completely unlike Beowulf.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Beowulf « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.