Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:04:42 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Just saw Halloween « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Just saw Halloween  (Read 13650 times)
Wicked Nick
Dedicated Viewer

« on: August 31, 2007, 04:27:42 PM »

Damn was this movie good. Rob Zombie did a excellent job of taking the original and giving it more depth, especially with Michael and his family, and greatly increasing the brutal bloody carnage of Michaels  killing spree. The story follows pretty much the original although there are some obvious alterations, but its little that I missed or would complain about. My only gripes with the movie is with the editing, sometimes it feels as if the scenes got cut short or there were other scenes that got cut entirely. This throws off the movies pace a little especially near the end, which I got a little bored with considering everything else that happened before it.

Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »

I'm going to see this on Saturday. I'm expecting the worse so hopefully it will exceed my expectations a bit.  I thought that Devil's Rejects was a lot of fun but House of 1000 Corpses was a complete bore so I'm not sold on Rob Zombie as filmmaker quute yet as a lot of other people are.

As for the editing being off, I do know that Rob did some highly publicized reshoots a little over a month ago and from the reviews of the leaked work print, he made some pretty big changes to his original cut of the movie.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Ometiklan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 09:55:42 PM »

I just saw it as well.
Great Job from Mr. Zombie!!
One piece of advice....Don't bring the Kiddies!
Loved Malcolm McDowell as Dr. Loomis.
Good to see Brad Douriff as well! Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 10:34:53 PM by Ometiklan » Logged

And when he shall die
Take him and cut him into little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night,
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 05:13:05 AM »

The critics HATE it so far, Rotten Tomatoes has a very low score. I never rely on the views of critics, but they do tend to be the first 'barrier'. A couple of critics have praised it, though. It seems Rob Zombie's effort is much more of a "SAW generation" horror - supposedly the suspense which made the original movie so scary is gone in favour of Jason style brutality. I mean I like both styles but I doubt it'll scare me as much if this is the case, that's not to say it won't be fun.

It still doesn't make sense why it was released now and didn't wait until next month though! I suppose it'll still be in the cinemas when halloween comes and people will be more aware that it's on, and word of mouth will have gotten around about whether it's good or bad, so people will go there for halloween.
Wicked Nick
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2007, 05:45:01 AM »

Personally while I love the original movie its far from scary for me. The remake is way more gut tightening, especially in the begining with little Mikey. That kid is one of the creepiest kids I have ever seen. I think the reason critics hate it is  it's just to extreme for them. There not used to seeing a completely barbaric serial killer, even above Jason. Personally I never cared for the Jason movies as I thought they lacked originality and scares and is way to formuale based. Jason is just a masked killer while in this new Halloween movie Michael actually has a human element to him hes not just mindlessly killing people but actually working towards a goal.

Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 06:02:55 AM »

Interesting that critics are b***hing about that - the killer's humanity in the film - which they usually b***h about the lack of.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 08:02:07 AM »

I'm probably going to see either this film or Superbad after work tomorrow night.

I like the idea that they added a human element to Michael.  If the killer has been humanized, then the film should be much more powerful than watching a film with just a mindless killing machine.  I don't like the idea of Michael having numerous masks, but hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I wouldn't go see the film if it was someone other than Zombie at the helm.  I have the utmost faith in the guy and feel that since he is "one of us", he might actually make a good film out of this.  Also, the two good reviews on this topic so far have boosted my interest in the film quite a bit.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »

I'm going to see it today.  The only thing I don't like is the fact that they released it in August.  Usually it seems August is when the movie companies ship out the bad films, IE, Daddy Day Camp, and a few other flicks I've seen be released.

As far as why they didn't wait until October, I'm not sure.  Only thing I can think of is since Saw IV opens Halloween weekend and has a pretty solid built in following, they probably didn't want it to get crushed.

As far as Rob Zombie goes, I've only seen House of 1000 Corpses.  I actually didn't mind that, but haven't seen the sequel yet.  I'm a bigger fan of him and his music than the films.  Either way I hope to enjoy this.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
VenominOhio
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 04:00:43 PM »

i just saw it today with a group of buds, it was a great remake IMO. the ending was a bit long and dragged out i agree,but that would be my only complaint about the movie. good actors, good plot,good story,good blood, good random chest shots.

it was nice to see how Michael became the way he is.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 04:23:23 PM »

See my comments in the "bad movie" section.  I thought this had a very good beginning and then turned to crap.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 07:13:50 PM »

My only complaint was the last minute or two, actually.  It was working well, then it just ended.  No real like, end.  I don't wanna say how it is because of people who haven't seen it.  But I just didn't like that it just you know, faded to "Directed by Rob Zombie."

Overall, I was really impressed with it.  Having seen this and House of 1000 Corpses, I wanna see Devil's Rejects now.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 10:34:59 AM »

Just made a long post about Halloween under the "bad movies" thread.

I very much disliked the film.  It's nothing compared to the original, and can't stand on it's own.  The humanizing of Myers doesn't work for me and I felt it to be pedantic overall. 

I can't recommend the film to anyone.   Thumbdown

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2007, 11:19:14 AM »

Skaboi - I just gave you a shot of karma!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 04:59:40 AM »

My trust in mainstream film critics is at an all time low lately, with more and more exciting new movies getting worse and worse critical reception, but I have finally been pushed to the point where I will never trust a mainstream critic again. I just saw Halloween...

Dawn of the Dead, The Hills Have Eyes and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre have been the most praised of the obligatory 21st century horror remakes, but I'd place Halloween high above all of these.

Rather than taking the basic idea and creating a whole new movie, or trying to recreate the movie scene for scene, Halloween falls somewhere inbetween. It tells the story of Michael Myers in a much darker, more down-to-earth way and spends a surprisingly long time on it's prologue. We get a very depthy look into the life of 'the shape' as a child, and then at his time spent in the sanitarium with Dr. Loomis. Some people will miss the mystery of the original film (in fact, I'd say 'the shape' was no longer a fitting name), but after the ridiculous backstories, motivations and explanations from the infinite sequels, it's much better to see him return to being an evil maniac for his own reasons.

Mikey Myers is bigger, badder and more frightening than he's ever been, and with his more realistic backstory and completely removed "mythical being who can't die" business, it feels so much more gritty and real. The killings are brutal, hard hitting and realistic. Not once do we see ridiculous cartoony disembodiments, exploding heads or amusing 'creative' killings - the murders in this film are genuinely frightening and the gore is as realistic as it gets. The mask is a surprisingly accurate recreation of that from the original film, and it's dirty, worn and torn look is reminiscent of the similar badassifying of Leatherface in 2003.

I especially liked one moment when, {spoiler}rather than killing off one character, big Mike mortally wounds her and leaves her for dead, crying in pain{end spoiler}. It was particularly nasty and it's something you rarely see in a slasher film (I mean, normally somebody will receive a small wound and die instantly from it in these films.), it really got me scared.

After being a little concerned about some of the acting in the early clips I saw, when I saw the full movie I was relieved, because it's top notch stuff. Malcolm McDowell is just as great at Dr. Loomis as Donald Pleasance was in 1978, and the girls are a lot more Hollywood and a lot less "the director's friends" this time around. As expected, the actress who played the little girl Jamie so stunningly well for a child actress in the old sequels did amazingly as Annie as well.

It seems to have devided it's audience in half between people who like different aspects of a horror movie. A lot of people seem to be upset because it's graphic, gruesome and fast paced as opposed to the ominous, suspenseful tone of the original. I feel that this indicates Rob Zombie's awareness of the fact that in 2007 a knife-wielding man wearing a mask just isn't going to work like it did in '78.

If you're a slasher fan and you can accept a few differences in tone, you'll love this twisted, darker, more gritty and more human take on the Michael Myers story for the Saw generation. Fantastic stuff!
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 07:48:11 AM »

I don't want to cross post, but I put a link to my review of it in the Reviews forum.

I caught it early and managed to be one of the first reviews of the movie on the web.  My review is actually wishy washy and I was a lot more forgiving of it than I should have been but at the end of the day, I really didn't care for it.  My expectations were pretty low already but it just didn't do well for me.  My mostly-negative review received only a couple of comments from the usual comments crew at my blog, but the real vitriol came in the form of email.

From wednesday to sunday I received hundreds of extremely angry, hateful emails from Rob Zombie fans that couldn't believe that I didn't kneel before it.  Film Fiend had a similar experience and actually shut his comments off until the a***oles went away.  I emailed the guy at Dread Central that reviewed it negatively as well to find that he was being bombarded, too.

What the hell is wrong with people?

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Just saw Halloween « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.