Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:53:02 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  You guys MUST read Christopher Moore... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: You guys MUST read Christopher Moore...  (Read 3273 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 01, 2007, 10:26:25 PM »

I think anyone who enjoy crazy flicks would enjoy this guy's books.. I've provided some mini summaries for the ones I've read so far...

The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove

In the sleepy town of Pine Cove, an obsessive-compulsive Bess Leander is found dead at the end of a rope, an apparent suicide.  The town psychologist, fearing that her over reliance on handing out prescription meds to her patients was the cause of the death, blackmails the town pharmacist to start giving everyone placebos.

Meantime, a leak from the local toxic waste plant attracts the attention of a GIANT lizard, who crawls out of the ocean and promptly begins seeking the two things most important to any giant monster: food and something to mate with.  The monster is befriended by Molly Michon, former B-Movie actress, who, when not taking her meds, actually begins believing she really IS the Barbarian Queen in a nuclear holocaust future that she portrayed years ago in film.   

As the body count starts to rise, it's up the pothead constable and a assortment of wacky townsfolk to figure out what's going on.

The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror

We return to Pine Cove years after the events in Lust Lizard.  This time, a young boy witness the death of Santa Clause (actually, a guy in the suit) and, fearing Christmas is ruined for all the children everywhere, wishes for a miracle to save Christmas.  Well, luckily (or maybe not) Raziel, God's least competent angel, is in town and he's been put in charge of performing this year's Christmas miracle.  Raziel decides to grant the little boy's wish...by bringing back ALL Pine Cove's recently departed.

Sadly, they return as brain-eating zombies.

You Suck: A Love Story

This is a sequel to the novel Bloodsucking Fiends (which I haven't read.)

Tommy's got a good girlfriend, Jody.  Too bad she's dead.  Well, not dead, a vampire.  As the book starts, Jody has decided to "convert" Tommy.  Tommy, understandably, has mixed feelings about this.  As Tommy tries to adjust to his new role, a gang of his friends and co-workers The Animals show back up from a trip to Las Vegas with a blue skinned prostitute named (what else?) Blue.  The Animals aren't too happy about Tommy's new condition, and, at the urging of Blue, think it there duty to try and "help" Tommy.

Meanwhile, Elijah, the vampire who turned Jody has reappeared and wants her back. The duo also hook up with Abby Normal, a teenage Goth who thinks serving the "dark masters" would be the coolest thing ever.

Classic line (Tommy explains why the times he's had sex with Jody while she was unconscious during the day is acceptable): It's like putting a quarter in some strangers parking meter.  They don't know you're doing it, but you know that if they KNEW you were doing it, they'd appreciate it!

A Dirty Job

For beta male Charlie Asher, proprietor of a shop in San Francisco, life and death meet in a maternity ward recovery room where his wife, Rachel, dies shortly after giving birth. Though security cameras catch nothing, Charlie swears he saw an impossibly tall black man in a mint green suit standing beside Rachel as she died. When objects in his store begin glowing, strangers drop dead before him and man-sized ravens start attacking him, Charlie figures something's up.

Along comes Minty Fresh—the man in green—to enlighten him: turns out Charlie and Minty are Death Merchants, whose job (outlined in the Great Big Book of Death) is to gather up souls before the Forces of Darkness get to them. While Charlie's employees, Lily the Goth girl and Ray the ex-cop, mind the shop, and two enormous hellhounds babysit, Charlie attends to his dangerous soul-collecting duties, building toward a showdown with Death in a Gold Rush–era ship buried beneath San Francisco's financial district.

(Okay, I was getting tired, so I just stole the summary from the last book from Amazon, the rest I wrote on my own.)

Anyway, if those descriptions aren't enough to get you to check out this guy, I you might be on the wrong board!

Smile
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 03:34:00 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 02:01:08 PM »

I enjoy Moore's work quite a bit. I haven't read A Dirty Job yet, but I've read all his other books. Very fun stuff!

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  You guys MUST read Christopher Moore... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.