Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:40:03 AM
714256 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  0 for 3 - Why are there so few good movies? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: 0 for 3 - Why are there so few good movies?  (Read 11779 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 02, 2007, 12:23:39 PM »

I have seen 3 movies in theaters this weekend:

* THE SIMPSON'S
* MR. BEAN'S HOLIDAY
* HALLOWEEN

The only one I had high hopes for was THE SIMPSON'S, but I also expected MR. BEAN and HALLOWEEN to be decent.  Unfortunately, THE SIMPSON'S was a disappointment with only a handful of laugh-out-loud moments; MR. BEAN was less than decent, but not quite a bad movie; and HALLOWEEN started out with a lot of promise but ended with a huge flat tire.  In hindsight, I really didn't need to see any of these movies.

I'm somewhat intrigued by the upcoming I AM LEGEND, although something tells me they'll screw it up.  I also see that there is a remake of THE HEARTBREAK KID on the way.  Another pointless remake.  The Charles Grodin original is fine.  Let's leave it alone.

Earlier in the summer I saw TRANSFORMERS.  Brainlessly entertaining, but it could have and should have been a lot better.  I liked SPIDER-MAN 3, but it was a bit long and should have been streamlined.  RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER was a disappointment, as was GHOST RIDER.

So, why are there so few good movies and when will we see the "big turnaround" to more quality filmmaking?  (If I see "Directed by Brett Ratner" one more time, I think I'll get the dry heaves).  Should I just avoid the big-hype movies and stick to Dame Judi Dench period pieces and Martin Scorsese gangster flicks?  Can someone help me here?  I would really like to occasionally see movies with lost of car chases and things exploding that are actually pretty good.  But they seem to be few and far between . . . and getting more difficult to find every year.  Maybe that's why I buy so many older DVDs.  But I LOVE going to the movies!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Susan
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 12:55:55 PM »

i'm thinking it's because nobody wants to pay good writers and also come up with an original idea  - it's too risky

So jus rehash an old idea, throw in all the budget towards any eye candy special effects and hope to make a profit
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 01:11:44 PM »

I find no movie today compares to the joy and entertainment I still get from watching the classics of yesteryear (in fact given the choice, I'll usually take a black and white film from the 30s, 40s and 50s over anything today). What's truly good out there nowadays seem to be coming mainly from independent (and most often non-American) efforts.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 01:41:24 PM »

Burgo,

Your complaint is one that I have most every summer.  The problem is that summer films are ones that will be brainless, guaranteed money makers.  When was the last time you went to the theater between May and October expecting a "good" film?

As for the films you saw over the weekend...  The Simpsons flick was decent, but it was just an hour and a half episode of the simpons with animated penis.  I felt the film was decent, but then again, I didn't expect it to be amazing.  Halloween is one that I plan on subjecting myself to tonight despite knowing deep down inside that I'll loathe it.  Then there's Mr. Bean's Holiday......I'll wait till it's out on DVD.

Sometimes though if you look close enough, you'll find a fun and intelligent summer flick.  Apparently Superbad is quite good, and Knocked Up was excellent, especially for an early summer flick.

Give it another two months or so and once November begins, we'll start seeing the good stuff again.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 01:55:32 PM »

I tend to agree with Burgomaster from my own experience, but Skaboi, you made some good, insightful comments there.   Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 03:02:31 PM »

THE LORD OF THE RINGS

In those magnificent films, Hollywood atoned for every bad movie ever lampooned on this board.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
IzzyDedjet
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 03:16:08 PM »

THE LORD OF THE RINGS

In those magnificent films, Hollywood atoned for every bad movie ever lampooned on this board.

Though well intentioned, I honestly believe you to be a bit delusional.
I thought the LOTR films were entirely too long winded and disjointed.
The stuff only a fanboy would love.
That's not a slam, by no means.  Type is notorious for not conveying inflection or emotion.  I was just stating my opinion.
Susan
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 03:21:56 PM »

THE LORD OF THE RINGS

That's not a slam, by no means.  Type is notorious for not conveying inflection or emotion.  I was just stating my opinion.

just wait = there will be a LOTR remake

it's coming

everything eventually gets recycled
Fearless Freep

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 05:02:48 PM »

THE LORD OF THE RINGS

just wait = there will be a LOTR remake

it's coming

everything eventually gets recycled

I'm waiting for the Special Edition where Frodo shoots first.

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
akiratubo

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2007, 05:43:04 PM »

THE LORD OF THE RINGS

Um, no.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Susan
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 06:03:17 PM »

lol yea whatever

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QAlt4Sfl7Q
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 08:41:14 PM »

What can I say?  I've read the trilogy over 30 times, including twice out loud to my children!

Call me FANBOY from now on! Lookingup

Or in Sindarin:

Y'elvai edain

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 08:52:41 PM »

What can I say?  I've read the trilogy over 30 times, including twice out loud to my children!
Or in Sindarin: Y'elvai edain
Twice out loud?  Can't imagine why you'd roll your eyes, being a true "FANBOY."  The films are hardly faithful to the books, as I know you know, but I suppose they come reasonably close!   TeddyR 

I really enjoyed the first film.  The second one was a mixed bag, entirely carried by the character of Gollum.  The third one was insufferable, and though spectacular in parts, so-oo-oo-oh BO-OE-RING.  That film winning the Academy Award for Best Picture is proof again of the absurdity of awards, particularly, that one.   Smile

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007, 10:29:35 PM »

Or in Sindarin: Y'elvai edain
Twice out loud?  Can't imagine why you'd roll your eyes, being a true "FANBOY."  The films are hardly faithful to the books, as I know you know, but I suppose they come reasonably close!   TeddyR 

I really enjoyed the first film.  The second one was a mixed bag, entirely carried by the character of Gollum.  The third one was insufferable, and though spectacular in parts, so-oo-oo-oh BO-OE-RING.  That film winning the Academy Award for Best Picture is proof again of the absurdity of awards, particularly, that one.   Smile

Yeah, I read it to them once when they were six and again last fall, when they were twelve.  And RETURN OF THE KING was the best of the bunch, IMO, especially the extended 4 hour version.  I am waiting with bated breath for THE HOBBIT to get its big-screen day in the sun, and (dare I hope?) THE SILMARILLION  someday?

In other words, yes, I am hopeless.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 10:31:15 PM »

In other words, yes, I am hopeless.
BounceGiggle Thumbup  I applaud your hopelessness. 

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  0 for 3 - Why are there so few good movies? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.