Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:03:08 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  0 for 3 - Why are there so few good movies? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: 0 for 3 - Why are there so few good movies?  (Read 11783 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2007, 07:59:36 AM »

Not to rain on your parade or anything Burgo...
(and please don't give me negative karma for saying so...)

But maybe it's just you.

Maybe you think these movies are bad.
But others don't.

I haven't seen them so I can't comment.

But always remember...Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
What I think is awesome...you might think is crap...and vice versa.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 11:34:13 AM by Ash » Logged
dean

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 08:13:24 AM »

The 'good' movies are out there, you've just got to be fortunate in finding them.

Especially if you have independent films and other 'lesser known' films that play in your area.  The true gold is in the relatively unknown films that don't get as much interest as your Die Hard 4s etc [which incidentally was a fun movie]

But what Ash says holds true as well I suppose.  But filmmakers and producers SHOULD know better really...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 11:18:10 AM »

Ash - you are right . . . everyone is entitled to their opinion.  But I think most people who think these movies are good are the same people who avoid black & white movies simply because they are not in color . . . or subtitled movies simply because they are not in English.  We have been tricked into accepting whatever is handed to us, no matter how bad it is.  It is all part of the "dumbing down of America." 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 12:01:47 PM »

Burgomaster, I see we have much in common. I definitely agree with that opinion but I also feel it's because the studios simply believe the vast majority of their potential youth audience are DUMB and sadly, I suspect they're largely right.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007, 06:33:17 PM »

Karma to you, JaseSF!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
dean

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2007, 05:10:46 AM »

I wouldn't say that it's because they think the audience are dumb.

Sure there are some producers/directors etc that pander to the broadest common denominator and try and please everyone but I consider it to be a more business based problem.

It's like you're building a house: There are builders/companies that do a job better than others, and some people who are just lazy and cut corners.  Same applies here: They're trying to make a quick easy buck and end up making an inferior product.  Remember, it's just a job to most people involved.  Lofty ambitions for really good work is for those who want to hone their craft.  Others would prefer to spend that time rolling in their cash...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Torgo

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2007, 09:26:27 PM »

What kills me is that the words "summer movie" shouldn't automatically mean brainless cinema for the dumb.

A movie can be immensely entertaining on a popcorn level but also have some sort of cinematic point along with intelligence.  Case in point, Raiders of the Lost Ark which originally came out on June 12th, 1981.     It's a great movie that you can just sit back, eat some popcorn and have a blast watching it. But it also happens to feature fantastic performances and manages to be smart at the same time.  The filmmakers weren't talking down to their audience or showing complete contempt as well (which seems to be the norm in Hollywood for about the last 20 years or so.)

I get sucked into the whole summer movie machine madness like everyone else and end up going to see something not because I really want to see it but because there's really not much better coming out.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2007, 10:03:33 AM »

they say everything comes from 3 basic stories. So any new hollywood content is probably going to be the same crap we've all seen before.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2007, 10:19:20 AM »

If you ever read any articles about the development of most movies it's a wonder the few movies that are good get made at all.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Jim H

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2007, 12:32:17 AM »

I dunno...  I can't be too negative about Hollywood.  Yeah, they recycle a lot of crap, and there are too many sequels/crappy fluff movies, but every year there are a number of movies I really enjoy.

Next weekend is looking great for genre fans...  Shoot 'Em Up, 3:10 to Yuma, and a limited release (finally) of Hatchet.  I'll be having fun.
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2007, 12:49:30 PM »

You want the big movie companies to release better movies?

Mug every 12-16 year old in line before they can buy tickets.

This will help in the short run, but then you have to:

A.) Use that money to make your own s**tty movie and blame distribution when it fails.

B.) Use that money to end unplaned pregnancy and illiteracy.   

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2007, 11:32:04 AM »

Eh.  I liked Halloween.  I want to see Bean and Simpsons, but probably will end up just seeing the dvd's. 

Last summer, the only flick I've seen in the theater was Clerks II.  This year, just Halloween. 

Someone mentioned Lord of The Rings.  I've never seen them. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Jim H

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2007, 03:51:43 PM »

2007 has had quite a few really good movies too...  I might suggest finding your local art house theatre.  See stuff like Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, No Country for Old Men, Black Snake Moan, Ratatouille, Bourne Ultimatum, Gone Baby Gone, Rescue Dawn, Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Grindhouse, There Will Be Blood, etc. 

I've heard some suggest 2007 was the best year for American film in over a decade. 

I might suggest looking at the top movies on RT for 2007.  A lot of good stuff came out this year.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/top/bestofrt_year.php?year=2007
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2007, 09:05:21 PM »

A few reasons for all the crap coming out of Hollywood:

1)  A profound lack of creativity.  Just look at all the remakes and video game / comic book adaptations.  This isn't going to change anytime soon because no one is more arrogant in their claims of creativity than Hollywood.

2)  Today's actors just aren't any good at acting;  they're good at being famous.  All of these big name celebrities play the exact same character in every movie they're in. 

3)  Extremely controlled environment where new ideas are shunned and laughed at.  It's also far too political;  only people who agree with the Hollywood line on everything need apply.  When everyone agrees on everything then A)  There's no thinking going on and B)  There's going to be no variety in ideas.  Hollywood's idea of "diversity" of ideas is to hire people with different skin colors and sexual persuasions, just so long as they all think exactly the same.

4)  Too much emphasis on name recognition.  For a director to have his name well known is far, far more important than for him to make good movies.

I'm sure I could come up with more if I put a few minutes thought into it, but why bother  TeddyR
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 09:13:55 PM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2007, 10:21:21 PM »

The movie business is all about making money.  And the sheeple will pay money to see loud explosions and CGI.  A good story just interferes with their short attention spans.

I loved LOTR movies.  I started reading the books but I only got through 2 chapters of the first one - boring, boring boring.  It was all so genteel and excruciatingly old fashionedly English it set my teeth on edge.  Maybe I should do it again and this time stick with it to see if it improves.

Plus, there's no such thing as an original idea in Hollywood.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  0 for 3 - Why are there so few good movies? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.