Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:37:57 AM
713393 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  The Man Behind The De Palma Smear: Mark Cuban Declares War On The Troops « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Man Behind The De Palma Smear: Mark Cuban Declares War On The Troops  (Read 11522 times)
CheezeFlixz
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pathetic Earthlings

« on: September 03, 2007, 01:22:30 AM »

This info is from a blog but I linked it from The Dudge Report ...

Billionaire Mark Cuban has decided to put all of his weight behind a campaign to smear US troops in Iraq as “monsters’. Cuban has decided that De Palma’s film “Redacted” must be seen as the cornerstone of his and De Palma’s self-declared anti-victory campaign against America and her troops fighing in Iraq.

MORE...

Methinks someone needs a long walk down a short pier wearing concrete boots.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 11:34:30 AM »

The link isn't working.....

I shy from getting into any polital comments after my last disasterous outburst...but I will say this...I have a stepson over there. He's 22,and I would like to see him come home alive. As wrong as I believe  any war is...and whatever the reasons are for being there,our guys don't need to be demoralized by a some stupid Hollywood shmuck.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 11:43:50 AM »

I just checked the link from Drudges archives it's dead from there too, so hmmm. So I searched that sites archives with the keyword "Cuban" and found this ...

Mark Cuban

Billionaire Mark Cuban has decided to put all of his weight behind a campaign to smear US troops in Iraq as “monsters’. Cuban has decided that De Palma’s film “Redacted” must be seen as the cornerstone of his and De Palma’s self-declared anti-victory campaign against America and her troops fighing in Iraq. Cuban’s company Magnolia Pictures will be bringing this propganda campaign to a theater near you this winter. According to a source close to Cuban, the decision for Magnolia to develop, finance and distribute the film was personally made by Çuban. Cuban has a full producer credit on the film, and DePalma shot it on HiDef video at Cuban’s request, in order for it to qualify as fodder for Cuban’s hi-def cable channel. So far neither he or DePalma have explained how they can be “bringing the truth of the Iraq war to the American people”, as Louie DePalma has said, when neither of them have ever been to Iraq, filmed any of “Redacted” in Iraq, or spent one minute with any soldier in Iraq. Clearly they are only bringing you their imagined propagandists’ reality of Iraq. Both had the opportunity to go, both declined. They have chosen the coward’s path in a quest for legitimacy as spokesmen for the Iraq war, and as such both have failed in that quest. Indeed, they are left standing as laughingstocks. Their reach has exceeded their grasp. Cuban is a jet-set, armchair “Iraq Truther” who made sure not to have his private jet stop anywhere near Iraq. But he and DePalma are more than anxious to bring you the “reality of the Iraq war”.

I shy from getting into any polital comments after my last disasterous outburst

Oh come on do be shy ...

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 11:46:18 AM by CheezeFlixz » Logged

IzzyDedjet
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 01:11:30 PM »

Hatred
my only political comment is this:
You don't have to support the cause
You don't have to support the leader
You don't have to support the war
but DAMMIT, support the troops.

I'm proud to have served my country, and proud to have served in operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm.  People like these clowns make me ashamed to say that.

I'll end this now before I get upset
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 03:48:39 PM »

I have to say I'm not convinced that the actions in Iraq are justified. To me, it seems the U.S.   is occupying another country not for its benefit but for their own. Still, I have nothing against troops doing their job. I'm just not convinced it's the right one in this case.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
IzzyDedjet
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 04:06:09 PM »

The troops dont want to be there any more than they're wanted there.  Wither by their friends and family or by the citizens of said occupied country.
In fact, I think the only one who wants out troops there is Bush.   And he's lost  his support long ago
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 10:44:39 PM »

Dang I hate to hear that . . . I am a huge Dallas Mavericks fan and Cuban is an awesome team owner.  But I did and do support the war effort in Iraq; it has not always been handled well, but I believe from the start that it met the Augustinian definition of a "just war".  Our brave soldiers doing difficult work under nearly impossible conditions deserve better than this CRAP.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
jtsoldier
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 12:48:52 PM »

Let me tell you that this is going to bite cuban in the rear. Yes he is rich but I'll tell you that the support of our troops is in the high 90%. I don't care if you support the war or not. A lot of sons and daughters are in Iraq. Mess with them and you mess with us. Last word..STAND BY..
BTM

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 03:46:46 PM »

I heard about this the other day listening to The Radio Factor with Bill O'Reilly.  For the uninitiated, the film is about a true incident where four solders raped a 14 year old Iraqi girl, shot her, set her body on fire and supposedly killed her family to cover up the crime.  Now, what happened was a horrible, horrible thing, and should be deplored, but I have to agree with Bill when says that all this film is going to do is serve as a propaganda pieces for anti-US forces, stir up more hatred and violence, and put the lives of over 200,000 service people in Iraq and Afghanistan in even more danger.

I recall months back about how there was a report from Newsweek about a Koran being flushed down the toilet at Gitmo.  The story lead to riots in several parts of the world and people getting killed.  Turns out the story was false, but the news media, in their rush to print ANYTHING negative about the U.S., went ahead and posted it without bothering to fully check it's facts.

I think with this film, its going to be more of the same.

I'm not saying someone should stop him from making it, but I do think it's a despicable choice. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 10:23:28 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
RapscallionJones
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Grim & Frostbitten

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 05:11:12 PM »

You know?

I've been against the war from the outset.  I think the whole thing is bulls**t and we've lost far too many lives and sunk way too much money into a cause that was never clear from the beginning.  We've been lied to, we've been screwed and it's going to take decades to dig ourselves out of this hole.  American foreign policy is going to carry a huge, black stain on it for a long, long time before anyone trusts us again.  And the worst part of it all is that the troops are the ones getting the short end of the stick the whole time.  They put their ass on the line and when they come back, they get some hollow gratitude from the public, even more jeering from the other half of the public and no support from the government.

But if there is one thing I cannot f**king stand above all else in the political arena, it's snooty Hollywood a***oles who use the medium of film to propagate their god damn hyper-liberal message.  I consider myself quite liberal but the people even further out to the left than me, with more money than they know what to do with feel compelled to make movies and documentaries and air their particular points of view during awards acceptance speeches and on the red carpet; all of them disgust me. 

If there's one thing that makes me craziest, it's the attitude.  This arrogant, misinformed sense of righteousness.

At the bottom line, Redacted is about a very, very unfortunate incident.  It's one among a handful of very unfortunate, monstrous acts carried out by US troops, but it and the others are hardly a reflection of the hundreds of thousands of people serving.

It's a god damn shame.

Visit the b-movie blog
http://www.cinema-suicide.com
The required Myspace profile
http://www.myspace.com/cinemasuicide
nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 08:57:44 PM »

Compare the output of Hollywood during World War II, or the Korean War, or even the Vietnam War, to their current churnings.

I do not think it hyperbolic to say that if the Hollywood propaganda machine had been AGAINST our fighting forces with the same vigor during WWII, we'd all be speaking German now.

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 11:15:23 PM »

I'm against any kind of misrepresentation, whether of American troops or the movie itself.  I won't judge the movie without having seen it (that said, I don't have any plans to watch it).

In an email to Bill O'Reilly published on his blog Marc Cuban denies the movie is anti-American propaganda: "Seperate the self promotion of Brian Depalma from the movie. The movie is fully pro Troops. The hero of the movie is a soldier who stands up for what is right in the face of adversity." (Full text: http://www.blogmaverick.com/2007/09/04/me-and-bill-oreilly/). 

I bet the threat of a defamation action from Cuban's lawyers is why the articles CheezeFlixz posted got pulled.

As a side note there's lots of infighting between the producers and De Palma.  Check out this argument between De Palma and another one of his producers at a press conference:

Small | Large

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 11:54:57 PM »

I don't understand why out of all the stories, both good and bad coming out of Iraq that Hollywood has to make mostly negative movies. There are far more positive stories to tell, but that doesn't serve there agenda.

I'm all for free of speech but with that freedom come the responsibility to exercise restraint in the best interest of the troops safety. Films like this will do nothing more than fan the flame of anti-American movements in the middle east and further endanger the life of those troops with this rebel-rousing. Jeez with some of the crap movies they put out these days, they could make a movie about the troops building schools for Iraqi children ... but that would be ... what ... American?

This country doesn't put forth a unified front that is did in the many wars prior to Vietnam (I think we know what happened there.) and nothing good has come of it. Not everyone one in WWII or Korea thought we should be involved and we're going were we didn't need to be, but history proved those choices correct. The public, industry, the press and Hollywood put forth a unified front and we won and in the process created one of the biggest industrial booms in our history.

It's that old saying and my states motto, United WE Stand, Divided WE Fall.     

nshumate
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 12:39:51 AM »

This country doesn't put forth a unified front that is did in the many wars prior to Vietnam (I think we know what happened there.)

Even then, while the news media was putting out the negative on Vietnam, Hollywood produced exactly ONE 'Nam movie during the conflict: The Green Berets (definitely NOT an anti-war movie).

Nathan Shumate
Cold Fusion Video Reviews
Sci-fi, Horror, and General Whoopass
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 01:17:33 AM »

This country doesn't put forth a unified front that is did in the many wars prior to Vietnam (I think we know what happened there.)

Even then, while the news media was putting out the negative on Vietnam, Hollywood produced exactly ONE 'Nam movie during the conflict: The Green Berets (definitely NOT an anti-war movie).

True, it was mostly in the music then. However the little know "Head" in 1968 had anti-war undertones, but the 1974 film "Hearts and Minds" was I'd think the first modern anti-war documentary film. There were a few prior to the 1970's but they were few and far between. Now it seems like there are more movies against the US coming out than the mindless dribble they normally make.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  The Man Behind The De Palma Smear: Mark Cuban Declares War On The Troops « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.