Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:07:38 AM
714308 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Badmovies.org. What is going on. How are things? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Badmovies.org. What is going on. How are things?  (Read 13001 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: September 05, 2007, 12:03:17 PM »

Well, it’s been a few months since I asked, but how is the site doing?

We seem to be doing okay here on the forum.  A couple of arguments here and there, but put enough people together and some parties will disagree.  It is always good to read through a debate between two people.  I’m just glad that we don’t delve into flame wars, because those don’t do anything (for the community, for an individual they may satisfy some sort of need).

I’m going to be more and more scarce for the next few months.  My schedule is full of stuff from both the Corps and family.  I know that December will largely be a lost month, since I am one of the two Toys for Tots coordinators for Baltimore and surrounding areas.  However, I have been working hard to make sure that the server and site and taken care of and that I have reviews written and waiting to be published.  Based on that, I do not believe that the update schedule will change from once a week, with a reader review published once a month on a Wednesday.

The main thing I need to ask is about what I do: writing reviews.  From the feedback I’ve seen, they are enjoyable.  I know that someone, perhaps BTM, said that too often I was posting about films I would review in the future.  Will do, I can hold off on doing that until the review is published.  Another mention was that I was often reviewing films I found enjoyable and not delving into the single slimes and skulls.  For November, I’m putting together a list of films that were not so fun for me.  The highest-rating for November should be a two slimer, with most of the movies being less than that.

Sort of a “sure, I love pain – here, let me stick tacks in my eyes for you” deal.

Finishing up an interview and aiming to post it in October.  Unfortunately, interviews tend to be a little frustrating for me.  George Hardy was the exception, in that he was amazingly friendly and helpful in getting it done (of course, Ash pushing was helpful).  Many of the other people I interview tend to have limited time for such things, so it becomes more difficult.  Nothing against them, I run into it with the site too (only so much time in the day), but it definitely makes doing the interviews a bit dicey.  I’ve had a few that I had to drop and write off the time invested as a loss, because I didn’t get enough response to create a worthwhile article.

We have some more themed roundtables coming up.  Hopefully, those are fun for everyone to read.  I know that the roundtables help to keep me motivated and all of us webmasters more of a “friendly community” – instead of a bunch of independent do not know each other, sites.

Anyway, feedback welcome on what is good, what is bad, etc.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 09:48:05 PM »

Does this mean in December we can fill the trash can  with booze and blast loud music?   Drink

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 10:27:12 PM »

Andrew, I am new here, but I will tell you, I LOVE the forum!! I visit  the rest of the site occasionally, but I read this forum every day.  What a great community of film afficianados!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Torgo

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 10:38:18 PM »

I have absolutely no issues with the site or the forum in particular.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 01:46:47 AM »

Smile

Simply put, Andrew: this is my home and here I stay.   Smile

No other site compares to this, not even the IMDB.

Regarding your reviews, the only thing I find helluva frustrating is that the reviews make me want to see the films and many of them are not locally available. I think it's about time that I get a credit card and start buying the things off Amazon.

I have made many friends here and hope to make many more: I do miss Dr Menard, though.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 02:52:37 AM »

I would say that things are going very well.

The fact that you have had regular weekly updates, including the guest reviews, for the past few months have probably been an immense boon.  Especially considering you have no small obligations to family and work.

I would also commend your policing of the forums, which are the friendliest and most well spoken I have yet to encounter on the internet.  The personal incidents are unfortunate, but they are handled with rare diplomacy, and the moderators do their jobs almost invisibly, which is the ideal situation.  This is due in no small part to the level-headed good-personedness of you yourself.

Well, that's as complimentary as I ever like to be, but this website has been my favorite for many years now, and for all the reasons I just stated.  Keep up the good work.

(I do wonder, however, if you ever find it, how shall we say, ironic, that your "good work" involves watching some of the worst movies ever made.  And sharing the pain!)

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
IzzyDedjet
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 07:55:20 AM »

I'm liking the site.  Y'all are weird.  That's a good thing.
I do have a question for contributions though.

If, and I really, mean IF I can swing an interview with Mark Steven Johnson, would y'all want me to post it here?
If not I won't bother.
If you would like to see such a thing, what are some of the things you would like me to ask?  Aside from "Why was Daredevil so damn bad?"
Any ideas, please feel free to shoot them out there.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 10:34:11 AM »

Andrew I think this past year has been the longest stretch of updates and continued reviews from you I've seen since I started posting regularly five years ago (was lurking for quite a while before then).  It's been nice, but you go do what's required and we'll  look after the place.

I'm really liking some of these new guys the new forum has brought in, but I do wish we could get Odinn7, Menard, AndyC and some of the other old regulars back.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 11:32:27 AM »

Does this mean in December we can fill the trash can  with booze and blast loud music?   Drink

Oh, you're going to wait three months?  I figured that happened just about every weekend when I wasn't looking.  I thought that all sorts of mischief went on.  I often have the urge to discourage the smoochers by screaming, "Stop that foolin' around in my beans!"

Interesting thing about the reviews is that it feels like I am driven to write them lately.  Literally, "I have to write about this movie."  Kinda like some people feel about eating chocolate or ice cream, but me with bad movies.  I stay up into the early morning hours, just because I am on a roll (and Garrett is finally asleep).

It always amuses me that people seem to enjoy the reviews when I really didn't like the movie, or just didn't enjoy a small part of it.  My horror at Rudy Ray Moore's naked man ass a few months ago comes to mind.  A couple of people will be happy to hear that I'm working on a review for "Nail Gun Massacre" which inflicts a similar scene on me.  The goal with the reviews is to be entertaining and to help people find films that they want to watch (or wish to avoid).

We've always been very fortunate that so many interesting and levelheaded people post here.  I also miss a bunch of our missing, like AndyC, Menard, Odinn, David Emery, and a bunch more.  A bad thing about the Internet is how easy it is to lose track of each other.  If I don't hear from one of my friends, I can always stop by the house or call them on the phone to find out what is going on.  Not quite that simple when somebody fades out on the forum.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 11:36:02 AM »

If, and I really, mean IF I can swing an interview with Mark Steven Johnson, would y'all want me to post it here?

I like reading interviews.  Post it here or post a link to where you decide to host it; either way I'll check it out.  "Mainstream" people usually do not interest me as much, but, from my experience, the writers are interesting interviews.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 12:57:58 PM »

I did do some flirting with Susan but she only laughed at me, bratty girl she is.  Wink TeddyR
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 01:58:03 PM by JaseSF » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 01:37:27 PM »

As I have said before, this is the only forum I read regularly and the only one I post on at all. Andrew, you have done a great job of creating a respectful yet open environment.

And I think the reason people enjoy reading reviews about movies you hated is because you really do come up with some amazingly funny ways to describe what you'd like to do to yourself and/or the movie in question. I for one appreciate your willingness to sacrifice your sanity so I can better make the choice as to whether I wish to (further) sacrifice my own.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
raj

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 01:50:53 PM »

It always amuses me that people seem to enjoy the reviews when I really didn't like the movie, or just didn't enjoy a small part of it.  My horror at Rudy Ray Moore's naked man ass a few months ago comes to mind.  A couple of people will be happy to hear that I'm working on a review for "Nail Gun Massacre" which inflicts a similar scene on me.  The goal with the reviews is to be entertaining and to help people find films that they want to watch (or wish to avoid).

I just enjoy laughing at the pain you must have gone through.  I'm just mean that way.

Things are fine at this end.
BTM

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 07:18:40 PM »

The main thing I need to ask is about what I do: writing reviews.  From the feedback I’ve seen, they are enjoyable.  I know that someone, perhaps BTM, said that too often I was posting about films I would review in the future.  Will do, I can hold off on doing that until the review is published.  Another mention was that I was often reviewing films I found enjoyable and not delving into the single slimes and skulls.  For November, I’m putting together a list of films that were not so fun for me.  The highest-rating for November should be a two slimer, with most of the movies being less than that.

Hmm.. I don't remember saying that, actually, but then again, I can't even remember where I put my asthma inhaler half the time... :)

I think the site is going pretty cool, I check the forum a LOT (admittedly, the first thing I do is see if anyone replied to MY posts, before reading the new ones, but let's face it, I'm not the only one.)  Although it bugs me slightly when no one replies to certain posts I make, that's no body's fault, and I can live it (win some, loss some.) 

We need some people to do more humorous banners.. I love those things!   Smile

« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 07:20:22 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 07:41:25 PM »

Hmm.. I don't remember saying that, actually, but then again, I can't even remember where I put my asthma inhaler half the time... :)

My apologies. I went and found the post and it was Mr. Briggs who took me to task.

I just enjoy laughing at the pain you must have gone through.  I'm just mean that way.

Roger that, both you and Derf (and some others - I'm starting a list), like it when I am either angry or anguished.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Badmovies.org. What is going on. How are things? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.