Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:24:11 PM
713366 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Google and Microsoft go to bat for "fair use" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Google and Microsoft go to bat for "fair use"  (Read 3617 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: September 07, 2007, 08:09:36 AM »

Actually it's a group they belong to called the Computer & Communications Industry Association.  They've filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission that  the copyright notices that the RIAA, MPAA, and major league sports use are misleading.  I never knew that you had to get the commissioner of baseball's permission to discuss a game with someone.

Here's the article.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 08:44:08 AM by trekgeezer » Logged

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 05:01:48 PM »

And the Copyright Alliance does not like that idea:

http://news.com.com/Fair+use+is+not+a+consumer+right/2010-1030_3-6205977.html
(Editorial by Copyright Alliance executive director.)

I like how he tries to spin the change in a poor light, as being something unneeded.  However, if you read some more, I'd say that he does not like the idea of Fair Use at all.  He seems to forget that copyright is a carrot offered by society to help promote the creation of new works.  When you get down to it, society is saying, "We understand that there must be some reason for you to create something.  If you create a work, then cannot benefit from it, you will not have a reason to create more works.  SO, to encourage you, here is a limited period of protection so that you might benefit."

More and more, I see that idea, which I firmly believe is the intent of copyright, being twisted.

Fair Use is provided to further serve the interests of society.  "Yes, this person's work is protected.  However, if you use pieces of it for review, criticism, or educational purposes, that is in the best interest of society.  This trumps the creator's copyright protection."

I have changed the site's Fair Use page, because I think the point brought up is a good one.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
wtffilm
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 09:23:19 PM »

From paragraph 5 of the article Andrew posted:

"But let's look beyond the hyperbole. . ."

Now, from paragraph 10 of the same article. . .

"So, how exactly would the FTC rewrite these copyright notices to reflect a consumer's ability to attempt a fair use defense? Should they paste in all of the above language? - - - We could have an IP lawyer fold in a treatise on fair use, and baseball announcers could start reading it at the seventh-inning stretch to make sure they finish it before the end of the game."

So much for looking beyond hyperbole, eh?

I agree with you, Andrew, on this one - that copyright law is being twisted, in many circles, so that it does less to protect the artist or their work and more to protect the paycheck of various corporate heads.  There seems to be a lot of talk about copyright and fair use going on at the moment and it'll be interesting to see where it all goes. . .

Kindest regards,

Kevin P.
http://www.wtf-film.com
Jim H

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 06:53:14 PM »

Copyright is hopelessly skewed in one direction (towards the corporates, via easily purchased senators and other law makers) it has knotted itself multiple times.  I don't think it will ever come undone. 

What's the standard copyright now for corporate creations?  75 years?  It's ridiculous.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Google and Microsoft go to bat for "fair use" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.