Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:22:26 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Second Life « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Second Life  (Read 5430 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: September 07, 2007, 09:01:02 AM »

Some of you may have noticed that I haven't been around here for almost two weeks now.
That's because a friend of mine suggested that I check out the world of Second Life.

At first, I had no idea what Second Life was.
My friend tried to explain it, but because there's so much to it, he was somewhat at a loss for words.

Basically, Second Life is an enormous "virtual world" where you can do all sorts of things.
It's not a game, although there are games in it you can play...and it's not an MMORPG either.
It's something unique and totally different and I became instantly hooked on it. 

You know how you're living right now in "real life"?
Well, Second Life is just that...it literally is your "second life".   Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help you get a better idea of what Second Life is, take a few minutes to watch these short videos:
(they can explain it much better for you)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilpBPUAQ_Eg

Cool eh?

Here's another short video narrated by a woman who gives some more info:
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6D9I36zsec

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the moment I finished the tutorial, I started exploring this virtual world and I immediately met some very friendly people!
I happened to run into a group of about 10 people who were standing around talking.  All were from the U.K. and Australia.

(On a quick side note:  I should also tell you that for most of its existence, the only way to communicate with someone in SL was to type everything out in general chat or to IM them.  There was no voice capability.
That's all changed.
When I'm on Second Life, I wear a headset and can hear and speak to those around me who also have a headset or mic.)

When I ran into that group, I talked with them over voice and they immediately pegged me as a newbie.
But they were so friendly!
I must've made a great first impression because they hooked me up with free clothes for my avatar, free gadgets and accessories, cool landmarks for me to visit and one girl even gave me $500 Linden dollars and took me shopping for some new "virtual clothes"! 

Since then, I've made many more friends from all over the world and we love to hang out together and do fun things "in-world".
For example, a group of about 10-15 of us went to one of our favorite places, Solana Beach, and danced on the dance floor to live streaming music.
After that, we all gathered near the edge of the beach in a big circle around a Truth or Dare board.
We were so into it that most of us literally had tears in our eyes from laughing so hard!
(Everyone had mics)
It was just like playing real Truth or Dare in real life.

One of our friends, Mudgutz, DJ's at Club Steamworx "in-world" and streams any song requests we give him.
While he DJ's, we all dance to the tunes or just hang back and converse.
He even has a tip jar where you can pay him Linden dollars.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can even make real money in Second Life.
If you have the gumption, you can actually create your very own store and sell virtual goods to Residents and any profits you make can be deposited into your real life bank account.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second Life was something that I never thought I'd get into and it isn't easy to convince someone who's never tried it to give it a go.
But once they do, they're hooked.

I cannot express enough to all of you that you should at least try it!

There are two types of accounts in Second Life.
A Basic account is free.
A Premium account costs $9.95 per month but gives you the ability to own land.
If you're a land owner, just as in real life, you can rent out your land to others for payment, or you can choose to build whatever you want on it.

I currently have a free account.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

All you have to do is go to www.secondlife.com and sign up for a free account.
I'm online in-world there all the time hanging with friends so if you're looking for a friend to hang out with, feel free to add me.
My in-world alias is "Jamey Davies".

There are tutorials for beginners, they're easy enough to figure out.
But the best way to be introduced to the awesomeness that is Second Life is to have someone show you the ropes.

What I have explained to you here is just the tip of the iceberg.

A fantastic world awaits you and I look forward to seeing you there!   Smile

P.S.  Here's the Wikipedia entry for Second Life....it'll give you a lot of extra info...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Life
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 02:41:40 PM by Ash » Logged
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 09:18:44 AM »

Smile

Hi Ash and welcome back.

Strange as it may seem, I was in Durban three weeks ago attending a library conference and one of the papers put forward was one on Second Life presented by Bernadette Daly Swanson (a regular on Second Life) on how this can assist libraries in the digital world, Very interesting and informative.

Ms Swanson did say that you needed high end graphics and computer equipment for this: on hearing how much it cost in US$ and translating that to SA Rand, I said that I would have to sell my mother-in-law to raise that.  Buggedout

Just in case you're wondering what a film guy was doing at a library conference, I am actually trained as a librarian, which my CEO didn't know about.  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 09:19:19 AM »

I too have a Second Life account but haven't been on there in about 6 months or so.  It's really fun, but my problem with it is that everything in the world is streaming.  The only thing on your computer is the client and the rest has to stream in, which takes a while.

Otherwise it's fun.  You meet a ton of cool people, and I LOVE the virtual movie theaters where you can sit and stream in a film.  Very cool.

I wasn't aware they had voice chat now.  My mic is shot so it wouldn't much matter to me at the moment, but it's still very cool.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
dean

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 09:26:48 AM »

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I don't know, this just strikes me as really funnyyyyyyyyy...  Must've been the way you wrote it Ash!

It's funny.  Back at Uni we had a games studies class in which we looked at Virtual Worlds.  There was so many innovations that we were on the cusp of [this is about three years ago?] so it made the class really interesting.  This is before groundbreaking type games like WOW and San Andreas [technologically speaking of course] but we could see them coming.  I think Second Life has been around for a while right?

There was a documentary on TV recently about Second Life that a friend was trying to explain to me.  It was apparently pretty good.  Shame I can't remember the name of it.

I suppose the only thing left for innovation is for UV lights so you can still get a bit of a tan [or a laptop with WIFI so you can go online outside I suppose!]

That and a body suit so it can FEEL like you're really there...

BounceGiggle

Ah.  I'm in a silly mood... [it sounds fun though.  My comp wouldn't really be up for it though unfortunately.]

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Susan
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 09:48:41 AM »

careful, i saw  a show where people literally spend thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars on this. others make money, to me it's like the Simms. I was into it at first but after awhile i'd rather be in the real world
Ash

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 11:54:38 AM »

careful, i saw  a show where people literally spend thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars on this. others make money, to me it's like the Simms. I was into it at first but after awhile i'd rather be in the real world

Susan,
To say that Second Life is like The Sims is a somewhat incorrect comparison.
They may look similar, but that's where it ends.
SL is so much more.

And yes, I too have heard stories of people spending thousands of dollars on it.
But those are the rare cases of people who have no self control.

I wanted to clarify that SL is definitely no substitute for your real life.
By all means, live your real life to the fullest!
But, SL can be immensely fun and used for recreation when you're bored or just want to kill some time online.
And experiencing it and the interactions you'll have with others in-world can be very rewarding.   Smile

What have you got to lose by at least trying it?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 08:02:41 AM by Ash » Logged
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 12:10:34 PM »

Another life sucker.

I have a healthy fear of stuff like this.  I got waayyyy into multiuser dungeons back in the day, and realized I was filling in the basic loneliness and lack in my life with an empty virtual one. 

I did meet some of the people IRL, but no lasting friendships formed from the experience, and I just wasted a lot of time on it, basically.

So drink that bottle of poison if you want to.  Fervently deny that you're doing what I was doing... hey, what do I know, it might be true. 

But back when I was doing it, I fervently denied it too.   Wink

I spend a fair bit of time on the net, but I'm learning to do it less.
BTM

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 07:34:25 PM »

Another life sucker.

Hmm.. I don't really have a life to suck away, so I'd guess I'd be okay...

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 08:36:34 AM »

Can I get  virtual drunk and run around nekkid?   Drink  Twirling

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ash

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 09:18:08 AM »

Can I get  virtual drunk and run around nekkid?   Drink  Twirling

As a matter of fact...Yes you can!
There are tons of areas in Second Life that are marked as "Mature".
When you enter a mature area, anything goes.
I usually only hang out in the Mature areas.

As for the rest of SL, those areas are marked "PG", and nudity, swearing or any other types of things that church-going or "decent" people would find offensive are prohibited there.

You should give it a try RC.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Second Life « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.