Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:08:25 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Emporer of the North Pole « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Emporer of the North Pole  (Read 9701 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 10:51:52 AM »

My Dad rode trains during the depression and it was mostly to travel and try to find work. I think the hobos could be equated to hippies  of the 60's, they had a definite anti-establishment attitude.  There were a lot characters like Shak, who by the way has his own sense of pride in nobody stowing on his train making the whole trip.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
dixie prick
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 06:14:04 PM »

how on gods green earth did you come up with such a great movie
to put on a website called badmovies ?????
dixie prick
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 06:26:16 PM »

I've always liked the film, it's not the typical action film, especially the setting.

I agreee with what people like Neville and Scott have said about the motivations. Besdies In the circumstances the hobos were in, you might find pride and satisfaction in some rather strange and in the long run meaningless places. But what else did they have besides the hardscrabble life of looking for your next meal, shelter for the night, and maybe the chance to earn or steal a little money.

Great, brutal final fight, not flashy like so many these days, but you feel the pain. Just like when Shak uses the rope and a steel pin to rough up A No. 1.

Besides I can't help but love a movie where Lee Marvin hits a punk with a live chicken.

yeah this scene was very believable  .  you gotta figure if you were a hobo in those days a meal or scrap of food perhaps might be all you got if you were lucky enough.
so they weren't in the best shape . whether or not lee marvin was or wasn't in great health then , he sure played a convinceing part . he looked to be worn out in several
scenes in this movie . the part where they grease the rails with left over grease from 5 gallon buckets in the dump , he brought that out vividly . he and kieth carradine .
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 02:37:16 PM »

Well, I think with some films, once it becomes apparent that we're dealing with a Mythic story -- one that reflects aspects of The Hero's Journey, as defined by Joseph Campbell -- some suspension of disbelief is in order.
 Marvin & Borgnine are locked in combat that transcends the situation, and, yes, it's personal as well.  Marvin isn't just standing up to Borgnine, but to the entirety of Life's Situation that has brought him low.  Borgnine personifies sadistic evil, something that kills and imposes pain for its own sake.  As such, they are both more than merely human.
peter johnson/denny get that damn steel peg away from me!!

I have no idea what this means.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 10:07:30 AM »

dixie- well, it's in the good movie section
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Emporer of the North Pole « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.