Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:26:58 AM
714230 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Anyone know how to identify malicious files or spyware? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anyone know how to identify malicious files or spyware?  (Read 4516 times)
Joe the Destroyer
« on: September 08, 2007, 11:51:53 AM »

I had a friend crash at my place a couple nights ago, as he just showed up in town randomly without a place to stay.  All he did all night was screw around with my computer.  The next day, I notice that he changed my display settings, messed with all my internet settings, downloaded a bunch of programs I don't want, and the last thing I noticed was under my add/remove software was a bunch of questionable files.  All in all, I would say it's my fault as well as his.  I should know better than to let people on my computer without any discretion, but at the same time he should know better than to just screw around with stuff on computers that don't belong to him.

I ran AVG Anti-Spyware, but that didn't grab all of them.  I've tried using Google, but it's tough to say what is actually malicious based on that and what's actually supposed to be there.  The only two files I've been able to find out that were malicious were Bufferchm and Trayapp.  I've since downloaded CCleaner and successfully killed those two files, but I still don't know about the rest. 
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 01:14:05 PM »

There are enough malicious programs that trying to manually identify them is not recommended.  Using something like Symantec or McAfee is a good idea, ditto for AdAware by Lavasoft.  If he managed to get you rootkitted, you have even more of a problem.

Lavasoft's page (the personal version is free):
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Microsoft page about Rootkit Revealer:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Utilities/RootkitRevealer.mspx

Unfortunately, in the case of a compromised computer, the best way to be safe is to reload the operating system.  Quite a few vendors provide recovery CDs/DVDs that will wipe it clean and return it to the state it was in when you bought the computer.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 10:28:14 PM »

I don't think it's quite that serious, yet, although I do think I should check it out. 
Susan
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 10:32:51 PM »

you have to be careful, some spyware hooks into your registry and people shouldn't mess with that who don't have the knowledge. I've exorcised quite a few demons on my pc. I recommend the hijackThis program

http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php

it runs a scan on your pc and then you can copy the results to castlecops.com on one of their boards, usually those people are helpful in looking over what you've got running to determine if you have anything of concern

adaware is ok but it's def files are no longer updated unless you manually go look for one. I also use Spywareblaster as well as the spybot. Spybot has never found anything, therefore i think it's inferior..lol
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 11:45:38 PM »

I've always preferred Spybot Search and Destroy.
I've found that it runs more quickly than MacAfee or Norton, & usually with better results at finding & eliminating junk I don't want.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 08:09:17 AM »

Spybot has never found anything, therefore i think it's inferior..lol

I have to agree.

I'll run AdAware and it'll find a ton of unwanted tracking cookies on my pc.
When I run Spybot first though, it never finds anything.

And thanks for that Rootkit link Andrew.
I had never heard of rootkits before.

I ran the program and it found a bunch of stuff.
Unfortunately, the help text file for Rootkit Revealer doesn't really help you all that much.

It uses a lot of technical terms that may as well be Greek to the layperson.
I wasn't sure what to do when it revealed these items on my pc.
And as far as I know, it doesn't tell you how to get rid of them as it does not have a cleaning tool.

If I post my results here, do you think you could look at them and tell me what needs to be deleted and what doesn't?
Susan
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 08:29:18 AM »

PS: i think this helps as well if you use internet explorer
go to Internet Explorer - Tools - Internet Options - Advanced

Scroll down to Enable Install on Demand (Other) and take the check out of that box

this will prevent crap from automatically installing on your PC when you visit a site. Then i'd read up on other things you can do such as your firewall settings, your cookie settings, security settings, etc. There's a lot you can do to your own PC without having to get 'cleanup' software to arm it.

I've never once had an issue at home with spyware/adaware and i surf all over the damn place. Now i had an issue ahwile back at WORK with a nasty worm, but then our pc's are recycled so i had to clea up what was already there and then change the settings. The thing is if you get a really ugly worm it can be excruciatingly difficult to remove without advanced knowhow of registry cleanup
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 02:00:33 PM »

I ran the program and it found a bunch of stuff.
Unfortunately, the help text file for Rootkit Revealer doesn't really help you all that much.

It uses a lot of technical terms that may as well be Greek to the layperson.
I wasn't sure what to do when it revealed these items on my pc.
And as far as I know, it doesn't tell you how to get rid of them as it does not have a cleaning tool.

If I post my results here, do you think you could look at them and tell me what needs to be deleted and what doesn't?

It is definitely intended for an adminstrator.  Sure, I can take a look at it.  Do scan the output before posting it, just in case something personal or sensitive is in there.  For example, I don't want to know that you have a file named "me_getting_f**ked_with_broom.jpg" (you laugh, but I've seen stuff along those lines).

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 02:39:19 PM »

I don't want to know that you have a file named "me_getting_f**ked_with_broom.jpg" (you laugh, but I've seen stuff along those lines).

Now I'm afraid to post my results!   LOL!!  BounceGiggle

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Anyone know how to identify malicious files or spyware? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.