Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:17:13 AM
713398 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  My Anime Review #2 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: My Anime Review #2  (Read 5327 times)
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« on: September 08, 2007, 01:23:32 PM »

UPDATE: Letter grades added

I missed doing a review for last month; I was busy getting ready to go back to school, and working on some other writing projects. These titles may not be new, but I figured they were worth checking out:

Gankutsuou: An anime version of the Count of Monte Cristo, only set in a future world that at the same time bears a striking resemblance to pre-revolutinary era France. A young aristocrat has his life saved by a mysterious Count, who he then invites home to meet the family...unfortunately, the Count's true motive is revenge. I decided to rent this after Cath recommended it in another thread, partly because it sounded interesting and partly because the company that made it, Gonzo, is also supposed to be making the Suspiria anime. After having watched a few episodes, I can safely say that if Suspiria is anything like this, then it's gonna be awesome. Part of what made Argento's movie so cool was his use of color and set design, and Gankutsuou's animation style uses both to incredible effect. Not much in the way of action, but highly recommended overall. A

Grrl Power: A trio of young girls, abandoned by their parents, earn a living by helping others with problems, and teach their clients a thing or two along the way. A one episode OVA, the show is directed mainly at young kids, with it's overly cartoony style (leaning more towards American animation than anime) and childlike tone. This is not to say that it cannot be enjoyed by adults, however. What made me decide to rent this is that it features a deaf character who communicates only by sign language, and having taken several ASL courses, I figured it would be cool to watch, which it was...except for the fact that ASL (American Sign Language) is vastly different than "JSL" (or Japanese Sign Language), so I still needed the subtitles (that is, those available in both sub and dub versions) to understand (then again, second languages tend to be use it or loose it, so I probably wouldnt be able to remember all that much ASL anyway). Worth checking out, in any event. C+

Excel Saga: This I caught on demand. Excel works for an alien ruler bent on taking over the earth, and is sent down to enslave the human race. Along the way she makes friends with an immigrant worker and a stray dog (NOT A CAT, despite how it may appear) who she is actually saving as an emergency meal should she require it. A bizzare comedy, fast paced and self referential to a fault (Excel's first mission is to kill the creator of the original manga on which the show is based), many of the jokes would probably resonate more with a japanese audience, though the english dub does get whatever laughs it can. B

« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 10:55:36 PM by Fausto » Logged

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 06:53:47 AM »

lol I saw Excel Saga. MESSED UP! I thought the English acting was pretty good but the lead female was so loud it kinda hurt my ears - but switching to Japanese wasn't really an option since she talks so fast and the subtitles just fly by... heh

However the afro guy Nabeshin was legendary.
Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 12:51:30 AM »

lol I saw Excel Saga. MESSED UP! I thought the English acting was pretty good but the lead female was so loud it kinda hurt my ears - but switching to Japanese wasn't really an option since she talks so fast and the subtitles just fly by... heh

However the afro guy Nabeshin was legendary.

I bought the first Excel dvd and brought it to a group meeting; overall their consensus was the same as yours-that chick never shuts up. I pity the voice actress who has to play her; that has to hurt your throat, especially after the fifth or sixth take.

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
DistantJ
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 09:55:39 AM »

As a matter of fact, the English voice actress strained her vocal chords, which is why the actress changes halfway through the series!
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 12:36:44 PM »

I've heard good things about Excel Saga now, but it's hard to believe anything could be more hyper-paced and brilliantly insane than FLCL (also known as fooly cooly)

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  My Anime Review #2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.